PDA

View Full Version : Internet access on the A.T.?

SoSuttle
07-16-2010, 18:45
Just wondering the best way to keep up with my email while on the trail. Can I bring a small internet capable laptop or just rely on my cell phone? Is wifi or broadband available while on the trail? Any help would be appreciated.

Luddite
07-16-2010, 18:48
Wifi on the trail itself? I don't think so.

It is possible to use a cell phone out there or you could just wait until you get to a town.

mmais68569
07-16-2010, 20:16
The WiFi on the AT is just as abundant as running water from faucets. If you can not live without it stay at home.

Mike

10-K
07-17-2010, 07:23
You won't have to go completely cold turkey.

If you're in a town - go to the library - they have internet access and it's usually free.

Some hostels and most hotels also have internet access.

I was able to check my email at least once a week, no problem.

Jeff
07-17-2010, 08:21
Some hostels and most hotels also have internet access.

The computer is the most popular feature at our hostel....more popular than a shower after coming off trail. Everyone has different priorities!!:D

couscous
07-17-2010, 09:19
I'm carrying a Verizon MiFi and iPod touch so I do have wifi on the trail. Had 3G speeds at the Ensign Cowall, Pine Knob and Rocky Run shelters .. also at the Dahlgren campground. Right now at the trail to Bear Spring Cabin I don't have 3G access but plenty to check email.

Kirby
07-17-2010, 13:15
Use libraries, it worked fine for me. Keep your cell phone turned off if you don't need it on.

emerald
07-17-2010, 22:04
The WiFi on the AT is just as abundant as running water from faucets.

Both are available in Port Clinton.

DapperD
07-17-2010, 22:21
Just wondering the best way to keep up with my email while on the trail. Can I bring a small internet capable laptop or just rely on my cell phone? Is wifi or broadband available while on the trail? Any help would be appreciated.I happened to see a review for this, but understand I have never used this or anything like it:http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/09/10/review-peek-puts-ema.html

Kelleelynn
07-17-2010, 23:27
I plan on bringing a lightweight netbook... I am not too concerned about wifi and checking my email tho, its more to play with my pictures and music! I also will not be freaking if I have to go days without it being charged. So see I can live without it and won't be staying home! lol

XCskiNYC
07-18-2010, 15:45
From the I-87 (New York Thruway) crossing to Great Barrington, MA you'll have cell phone reception (on Tracfone which uses Verizon as well as several other carriers) on most of the trail. You'll only be in a terrain shadow in a few areas such as the high valley between Mt. Schagticoke and Mt. Algo just south of Kent, CT. So if your phone can do e-mail you'll have e-mail on those stretches. If you do bring a cell phone it's good to have an extra battery and of course only turn the phone on when you're actually using it. If family and friends want to get in touch instruct them to do so by text message as these will wait until you turn the phone back on whereas a regular call you'll just miss if the phone is off.

Luddite
07-18-2010, 15:55
I plan on bringing a lightweight netbook... I am not too concerned about wifi and checking my email tho, its more to play with my pictures and music! I also will not be freaking if I have to go days without it being charged. So see I can live without it and won't be staying home! lol

youre bringing a laptop hiking??? Its so much extra weight and what happens if it gets wet?

Dogwood
07-18-2010, 16:37
Internet access at Public Libraries and possibly at hostels/hotels, etc!

DavidNH
07-18-2010, 17:17
The WiFi on the AT is just as abundant as running water from faucets. If you can not live without it stay at home.

Mike

Applause to Mike's post!

There is internet access at libraries at every town you pass through. If you absolutely can't go a day without internet access then why are you hiking? just stay home!

David

Kelleelynn
07-19-2010, 01:38
youre bringing a laptop hiking??? Its so much extra weight and what happens if it gets wet?

I would never bring my laptop hiking! I am bringing my netbook lol :D It weighs under 2lbs and I have it specifically for hiking. The main reason is I will easily take 500 pictures a day. In the evenings I like to transfer them from camera to netbook. Can you imagine how many pictures I will take in 6 months?!! It will be alot easier to keep them in order if I do it on a regular basis. The netbook is pretty small, it fits nicely into a large ziploc bag.

Llama Legs
07-19-2010, 10:08
My trail buddy "Donner Party" was able to get a 3G internet signal using his Droid cell phone at 2 of our camps between N.O.C. and Fontana earlier this year. One location was Cheoah Bald !

couscous
07-19-2010, 11:25
If you absolutely can't go a day without internet access then why are you hiking? just stay home!

For those of us in tech support it's actually the opposite, if we have internet access we can go hiking. On Friday I got an email that all production computers were offline when a power outage tripped a network switch on the UNIX system. While eating lunch at the Dahlgren Campground I emailed the sequence of steps to terminate the locked processes and reset things. Five minutes later I got an email that everything was back up and running. I shut off my MiFi and iPod Touch and continued hiking.

Kirby
07-19-2010, 12:36
A laptop, seriously?

sherrill
07-19-2010, 14:51
For those of us in tech support it's actually the opposite, if we have internet access we can go hiking. On Friday I got an email that all production computers were offline when a power outage tripped a network switch on the UNIX system. While eating lunch at the Dahlgren Campground I emailed the sequence of steps to terminate the locked processes and reset things. Five minutes later I got an email that everything was back up and running. I shut off my MiFi and iPod Touch and continued hiking.

I'm a systems engineer for a government network with the same remote support capability as you. When I go hiking I tell my co-workers it's their turn to watch the shop.

couscous
07-19-2010, 15:11
Co-workers? That's the difference .. I don't have any.. been that way for 31-years.

WalkingStick75
07-19-2010, 23:32

Only one person with this knowledge? Disaster waiting to happen. In my former life we had a book documenting how to do a system restore and how to correct known issues. When I went backpacking my contact number was 1-800-THE-TREE

SoSuttle
07-20-2010, 12:07
Thanks everyone for ur input! Everyones lives are different. An so what we bring with us on our backpacking trips. Thats what makes this world interesting is the diversity in people. Hope to see all you strange people on the trail. Lol thanks again for all the advice.

sherrill
07-20-2010, 14:00
Have fun. Even though I wouldn't want to hike like couscous, it doesn't matter because it's what works for him, and that's what counts. Just make sure your toys don't impede someone's else's enjoyment of being outside. They might just be there to get away from them. :D

Luddite
07-20-2010, 14:11
I would never bring my laptop hiking! I am bringing my netbook lol :D It weighs under 2lbs and I have it specifically for hiking. The main reason is I will easily take 500 pictures a day. In the evenings I like to transfer them from camera to netbook. Can you imagine how many pictures I will take in 6 months?!! It will be alot easier to keep them in order if I do it on a regular basis. The netbook is pretty small, it fits nicely into a large ziploc bag.

What kind of camera are you bringing? I actually use to hike with a Nikon D50 with an extra lens.

jesse
07-20-2010, 14:13

Tele commuting on the AT. Sounds like the worst of both worlds.

BobTheBuilder
07-20-2010, 14:48
I agree that a laptop is a poor idea on the AT. Not enough battery life.

I would carry a desktop with a flat screen monitor (a lot less weight than the old CRT!), a 12V deep cycle marine battery, and an inverter. A small travelling keyboard works just as well and weighs a lot less than the regular keyboard, too.

ChinMusic
07-20-2010, 14:56

I have had similar experiences in my field as well.

I go to the woods to "get away" but I don't hate the "real world" and can do both without adding stress.

couscous
07-20-2010, 15:00
I would carry a desktop with a flat screen monitor (a lot less weight than the old CRT!), a 12V deep cycle marine battery, and an inverter. A small travelling keyboard works just as well and weighs a lot less than the regular keyboard, too.

So that's what the Dixon Roller Packs are for! :D Need bigger tires to get over the rocks and blowdowns, but a satellite dish and receiver might also fit in the stack.

SoSuttle
07-20-2010, 19:08
Lol. You guys are hilarious!

Kelleelynn
07-21-2010, 00:59
I agree that a laptop is a poor idea on the AT. Not enough battery life.

With the netbook I get about 6-7hrs battery life... and again if I have to go a few days without it I will be just fine :D If I didnt have to check in with mommy every few days I wouldnt even bring my cellphone!

Now that you have me thinking about it, I will just bring my desktop instead, how cool would that be!. I should probably bring the printer too. Maybe you could be a gentleman and help me carry it all!

Kelleelynn
07-21-2010, 01:07
What kind of camera are you bringing? I actually use to hike with a Nikon D50 with an extra lens.

I will be bringing a Canon Powershot!

Ron Haven
07-21-2010, 04:08
I have wi-fi and computers in my motels in Franklin and have wi-fi in Hiawassee in my motels.I will have computers in Hiawassee Inn this week. Also for what it's worth I have laundry in Hiawassee also now and am going to put an outfitter in there for the 2011 season.

sly dog
07-22-2010, 12:22
I bet the laptop will be gone within a couple weeks, either broken or sent home.:D

couscous
07-22-2010, 13:20
.. or just rely on my cell phone?

Yes, just rely on your cell phone. I talked with "Yahtzee" at the Ed Garvey Shelter. I think she's doing a great job posting about her hike with just her Verizon phone... didn't catch the make/model. http://www.myatjourney.blogspot.com/

Kelleelynn
07-22-2010, 13:36
I bet the laptop will be gone within a couple weeks, either broken or sent home.:D

I will gladly bet that my netbook will finish the AT with me! hahaha :D

greenmtnboy
07-22-2010, 13:53
Computers should be banned on the A/T, there should be specific guidelines with regard to what is acceptable, what is permitted, and what is not. There are enough trail towns to get library access. How important is access? If it is so vital for work, emergency or stock transaction reasons, maybe the person should not be hiking. Cell phones are intrusive enough, many of them have quiet communication options, unintrusive in nature. The internet is becoming so ubiquitous, like air, that we are not aware of the damage it is doing to the natural order and society itself. Spend a week without being "connected" or "wired". See if it makes any difference regarding your peace of mind.

Henry Thoreau had a lot of things to say about this in "Life Without Principle" and "Walden". Socrates warned about the effect of writing on oral traditions. I am astonished that there literally has not been a university summit on concerns about teh internet and its effect on society.

Mags
07-22-2010, 14:16
. I am astonished that there literally has not been a university summit on concerns about teh internet and its effect on society.

I know what you mean! In the spirit of your quote, I suggest that any further correspondence from you be strictly by carrier pigeon.

http://news.cnet.com/2100-1001-257064.html

:D

Being serious, I have a live and let live attitude of technology. I don't use interactive technology on the trail (and think we are becoming a culture of connectivity (http://www.pmags.com/joomla1516/index.php/ramblings/22-outdoor-writings/91-the-changing-culture-of-connectivity)) , but I also recognize that technology on the trail is a reality and can't be turned back. Use cell phone, WiFi access etc on the trail much like going to the bathroom: unobtrusively, out of the way and discreet. You get your access...those who don't wish to deal with Cell phones, wifi and related will appreciate your consideration.

Kelleelynn
07-22-2010, 14:17
Computers should be banned on the A/T, there should be specific guidelines with regard to what is acceptable, what is permitted, and what is not. There are enough trail towns to get library access. How important is access? If it is so vital for work, emergency or stock transaction reasons, maybe the person should not be hiking. Cell phones are intrusive enough, many of them have quiet communication options, unintrusive in nature. The internet is becoming so ubiquitous, like air, that we are not aware of the damage it is doing to the natural order and society itself. Spend a week without being "connected" or "wired". See if it makes any difference regarding your peace of mind.

If you would have read my previous posts, you would see that I dont care about the internet. Think of it as a storage device. In 6 months I could potentially take 50,000 pictures. I tend to be OCD about things, pictures being one of them. Seven months down the road I don't want to have to try to organize these pictures, I want to do it on a regular basis! Its my choice to carry this, its my responsibility to make sure it is taken care of. I also highly doubt it will affect anyone else's hike as it will be something I do in the privacy of my own tent before I go to sleep!

sly dog
07-22-2010, 17:35
I will gladly bet that my netbook will finish the AT with me! hahaha :D

I'll take that bet. And it needs to be a working laptop at that point.:) And the 500 pictures a day? Have you hiked the AT? Dont get me wrong the pictures on views and towns are cool but the green tunnel looks the same for 75% of the time until ya reach the far north. It would be a lot easier to take a couple memory cards and send them home for family to upload. I did that when my brother thru hiked, as i sent him cards he would send full ones home and i would upload them. If your hard drive gets one speck of dust inside it all of your pictures will be gone forever. Remember a hard drive is much more prone to failure than solid state devices like memory cards. We also had 2 mp3 players that i would swap out with him and put new music on. This way he always had new music. He sent 1 home along with the memory cards and I sent him another one with different music on it.

Kelleelynn
07-22-2010, 19:21
Your a great brother! Unfortunately I do not have anyone I can rely on to do maildrops for me. Im going to take my chances - it will stay in a ziploc bag, cozied up in my clothes lol I do agree tho that I should back them up and will be able to send that home. I know that I have a tendency to take ALOT of pictures. It was once said "how many pictures of stupid birds do you need?" lol... Plus this is my first long distance hike and my daughter is coming... very exciting, Is it March yet? lol

Tin Man
07-22-2010, 20:16
It won't be long before Internet enabled devices (beyond a cell phone) and high speed wireless are widely used on the AT. iPad, Kindle and others will be carried by many.

Luddite
07-22-2010, 20:40
What is an iPad???? I keep hearing about but still haven't seen one.

I think the Kindle only makes sense for backpackers. I might look into getting one if they're light enough and have a long battery life.

Luddite
07-22-2010, 20:41
Nevermind....the kindle is huge and fragile looking.

Rocket Jones
07-23-2010, 06:30
The Kindle itself is about the size of a steno pad and very lightweight. The battery life is phenominal (talking days here, not hours, as long as you don't have the wifi turned on). That said, I'd never take my Kindle along because the protective cover for mine weighs a ton. I'll stick with a paperback.

couscous
07-23-2010, 08:42
What is an iPad???? I keep hearing about but still haven't seen one.

Basically a big iPod Touch - http://www.apple.com/ipad/

Ogre
07-27-2010, 00:18
Nevermind....the kindle is huge and fragile looking.

There are two models, one is huge, the other is just a little bigger than a paperback, weighs less, and has great battery life, especially with the wireless off.

As for fragile, not particularly as gadgets go, but I wouldn't call it rugged either.

As this is a thread about Internet access, I will point out that the Kindle's Internet access software is really awful. Yes, you technically get unlimited Internet with it, but it's painful to use it.

Kelleelynn
07-27-2010, 02:03
I still say screw all those fancy phones and little devices that overpriced with not so many options! For all the capabilities of a laptop, get a small lightweight netbook,plus they have a long battery life (6-8hrs avg). I love my laptop but when it comes to hiking the netbook is the way to go... Mine has been field tested and has survived in a ziploc bag and packed within my clothes. I hike in the PA Wilds so I dont have internet access and use mine for purposes other than internet such as photo storage, music, and writing.... but you know once your in towns your going to pick up wifi.

Here are some examples: http://www.cnet.com/topic/netbook.html

I know DELL has some nice ones that come in all different colors!

hellomolly
07-27-2010, 07:33
Computers should be banned on the A/T, there should be specific guidelines with regard to what is acceptable, what is permitted, and what is not.

I'll bite. Why? And try to answer without inferring that you know what's best for anyone other than yourself.

Tin Man
07-27-2010, 09:14
I'll bite. Why? And try to answer without inferring that you know what's best for anyone other than yourself.

good luck with that :)

Panzer1
07-27-2010, 12:32
Just wondering the best way to keep up with my email while on the trail. Can I bring a small internet capable laptop or just rely on my cell phone? Is wifi or broadband available while on the trail? Any help would be appreciated.

I think that a lap top will take up too much space in your pack and may get broken. Something like an IPhone 3G or 4G would be ideal.

Panzer

Tin Man
07-30-2010, 09:35
An interesting device - Books, Internet, long battery life... getting there

http://www.pcworld.com/article/202156/amazons_139_kindle_6_things_to_love.html?&tk=hp_fv

Mags
07-30-2010, 10:23
An interesting device - Books, Internet, long battery life... getting there

http://www.pcworld.com/article/202156/amazons_139_kindle_6_things_to_love.html?&tk=hp_fv

Via xkcd:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/kindle.png

Bare Bear
07-30-2010, 16:49
I keep my lap top right next to the canned food to balance the pack nicely.

Jeff
07-30-2010, 17:45
It won't be long before Internet enabled devices (beyond a cell phone) and high speed wireless are widely used on the AT. iPad, Kindle and others will be carried by many.

That time is already here. Tons of electronics in use at the hostel. So many devices are being recharged, I am surprised a circuit breaker doesn't pop !!!

Tin Man
07-30-2010, 22:43
That time is already here. Tons of electronics in use at the hostel. So many devices are being recharged, I am surprised a circuit breaker doesn't pop !!!

Sure, but perhaps I wasn't clear. I was referring to fully web enabled devices that doesn't leave you wanting to get on a PC at the library or wherever. Many devices do parts of that, but they are not quite there yet, IMO. YMMV :)

Tin Man
07-30-2010, 22:45

Sure, but perhaps I wasn't clear. I was referring to fully web enabled devices that doesn't leave you wanting to get on a PC at the library or wherever. Many devices do parts of that, but they are not quite there yet, IMO. YMMV :)

and battery life is a significant part of the untethered equation - getting there, but not yet

BrianLe
08-01-2010, 17:04
"I was referring to fully web enabled devices that doesn't leave you wanting to get on a PC at the library or wherever. Many devices do parts of that, but they are not quite there yet, IMO. YMMV "

Are you the Tin Man that hiked the AT this year with Sweet Potatoes and Half Pint, aka the croquet boys? Just curious --- based on your join date and his age, I'm guessing not ...

I used my three-year-old smartphone on the trail this year, and rarely had the urge to seek out a library or hostel "real" computer. Just a couple of things were easier to do with a full-sized screen and in some cases faster access (though when I had fast wi-fi, my phone was fairly fast too). I do carry a separate folding bluetooth keyboard, and used the same combination on the PCT in 2008, so --- depending on the quality of experience you're looking for --- I think we've been "there" for quite some time.

Now, my AT&T coverage was weak in the south, great in from Penn to Vermont, and non-existant in NH and ME, but I almost always found wi-fi in towns somehow to upload journal entries and photos, read (and infrequently reply) to emails, etc.

10-K
08-01-2010, 23:30
Are you the Tin Man that hiked the AT this year with Sweet Potatoes and Half Pint, aka the croquet boys? Just curious --- based on your join date and his age, I'm guessing not ...

No, I don't think so either.. Sweet Potatoes, Half Pint and Tin Man and I were within a few miles of each other all the way from Gorham to Kathadin. I managed to pass them once but they passed me back and I trailed them the rest of the way. Uncle Frank, Reckless and Boomerang were in the same pack as well - I spent a fair amount of time with them.

Daydream Believer
08-02-2010, 07:25
My husband got an IPad this Spring. He LOVES it. It is funny this topic is here as I asked him yesterday if he'd want to pack the thing in his backpack. He said yes (of course). It weights just over 1 lb so it's not a lightweight. I personally would NOT pack one...too much weight for me...all the necessities are heavy enough as it is. He's got books on that thing, spreadsheets, etc...it pretty much does as much as a laptop and it is definitely lighter than one (for those of you thinking of taking a laptop).

I went out in May from Hogpen Gap to Winding Stair Gap with a Verizon phone (very small little flip phone) and an IPhone. The Iphone was almost useless for lack of an AT &T signal for most of the trip...particularly the farther north I got...but I had a some music and audiobooks on it for entertainment at night in my tent before going to sleep. Otherwise I did not use it much at all. The Verizon phone worked every place except Big Spring Shelter near Albert Mtn. I was too tired to walk back up the hill to the fire tower to try there so I did not call home that night.

The couple of nights the IPhone did have a signal, it was Edge...not 3G...but I was able to check my email and answer a couple short ones. Once I was on the internet on it...but it was slow as I remember.

It turned out to be a good idea to take both phones as when one worked the other would not....at least for folks that really need to stay in touch with the outside world...as I must.

Tin Man
08-02-2010, 11:32

I used my three-year-old smartphone on the trail this year, and rarely had the urge to seek out a library or hostel "real" computer. Just a couple of things were easier to do with a full-sized screen and in some cases faster access (though when I had fast wi-fi, my phone was fairly fast too). I do carry a separate folding bluetooth keyboard, and used the same combination on the PCT in 2008, so --- depending on the quality of experience you're looking for --- I think we've been "there" for quite some time.

Now, my AT&T coverage was weak in the south, great in from Penn to Vermont, and non-existant in NH and ME, but I almost always found wi-fi in towns somehow to upload journal entries and photos, read (and infrequently reply) to emails, etc.

No, I don't think so either.. Sweet Potatoes, Half Pint and Tin Man and I were within a few miles of each other all the way from Gorham to Kathadin. I managed to pass them once but they passed me back and I trailed them the rest of the way. Uncle Frank, Reckless and Boomerang were in the same pack as well - I spent a fair amount of time with them.

Correct, not that Tin Man... usually people confuse me with Anti-Gravity Tin Man. I really need a new name. Sigh.

Brian, Glad you are 'there' with your internet experience on the trail. I would need more than what your phone gives you. But then, I don't want any when I am on the trail. :) It is fun seeing where this is all going though...

10-K
08-02-2010, 17:06
Correct, not that Tin Man... usually people confuse me with Anti-Gravity Tin Man. I really need a new name. Sigh.

How about "Ten Man" ? :)

BrianLe
08-02-2010, 20:07
"Brian, Glad you are 'there' with your internet experience on the trail. I would need more than what your phone gives you. But then, I don't want any when I am on the trail. "

I don't want it much on the trail either; an infrequent weather report is nice, as is the ability to upload trail journal entries in a more timely way, but that's about it barring some true emergency contact situation (which has yet to happen thus far on two long distance trips).

In town it can be nice to catch up on limited emails (I have a separate email address that's just for hiking-related stuff and family/friend contacts, and I don't look at the other one). Sometimes in trail towns where electric power isn't an issue I'll read articles from my hometown newspaper, and when enough time permits I'll upload some photos to my trail journal.

Those things are most of what I do with "internet access" on a thru-hike. Of course other people will have other priorities, other ways in which they want to stay connected --- yet another HYOH thing.

BrianLe
08-02-2010, 20:09
Hmm, I should add that when I had Giardia (or something akin to it), internet access on my phone allowed me to search out plane flight options and book a ticket. I did the same thing from Millinocket just a few days ago to set up a flight out of Bangor literally the very next day. In the latter case I think there was a computer I could have used for that instead, but I used my phone, and in the former case my phone was all that I had. In general, the ability to search for information can come in quite handy in unpredictable ways.

horicon
08-04-2010, 15:13
WIFi on the trail??? Find a place off the trail. hostels, mcD ATC Headquaters.

Daeluin
11-02-2010, 15:23
As 3g/4g networks become more and more widespread, I think information access will only become more prevalent in wild places. My android has a 1ghz processor, which is faster than my first computer in college (733mhz).

While some may cringe and rightfully so, perhaps if a courteous etiquette is established we can avoid ruining the experience for those who wish to avoid such intrusions.

That said, I quite look forward to the day I can use a small solar charger to power my smartphone. With a small keyboard attached I can comfortably write at length without needing to leave the trail. I can record inspirational thoughts when I am alone and find the need. When necessary I can connect to wifi and double check a while herb or mushroom.

I believe if used respectfully, this evolving technology can allow even further immersion into nature.

And for those of us who can find employment online, a few zeros a month could generate income for supplies, cutting the need to return to society even further.

Luddite
11-02-2010, 15:26
I believe if used respectfully, this evolving technology can allow even further immersion into nature.

HA!!! The two cannot coexist.

leaftye
11-02-2010, 15:45
Phone, Peek Pronto or one of the many Android tablets that weigh less than the iPad.

The way I'm doing it next time is either to bounce my mini-tabletpc down the trail or get a smartphone...although I'm still looking for a good trail smartphone to be created.

Doc Mike
11-02-2010, 15:51
Has anyone noticed that there are several people on whiteblaze who profess HYOH. but then say things like if you can't live without technology then stay home. If a netbook, notebook, Ipad or anything else is enjoyed by someone else then so be it. If it offends my delicate senses of what nature should be then the option to hike on down the trail exists.

HYOH
Doc Mike

leaftye
11-02-2010, 16:08
Has anyone noticed that there are several people on whiteblaze who profess HYOH. but then say things like if you can't live without technology then stay home.

You missed the fine print. It's HYOH*.

*But only do things the way I would if I had my ideal hike.

Ron Haven
11-03-2010, 00:27
I have computers for hikers with wi-fi in Franklin,NC at Budget Inn, Sapphire Inn, Franklin Motel, and at Hiawassee Inn of Hiawassee, Ga

sloopjonboswell
11-03-2010, 01:41
ghr. I read most all of this thread. Take what you want to take. You'll send home **** that doesn't work for you as the weeks and months wear on. I think hikers with laptops and immediate online access are the future of where its heading. No one can stop anyone else from bringing their video games to a shelter on a rainy day. Quit bitching old-timers. The game has changed. Enjoy nature, take what you want of cyberspace with you if you like.