PDA

View Full Version : Granite Gear Nimbus Latitude/Nimbus Ozone

Granger
11-11-2004, 13:16
Hello all!

I have read a good bit about the Ozone on this site but am having trouble finding anything on the Nimbus Latitude. I am trying to lighten my load a bit but I am not trying to go ultralight. I still plan on carrying a tent so a pack that will deal well with a 30lbs load is my target. Currently I have a Gregory Shasta and aside from the wieght I am happy with the pack though it is too large for an overnight or even a weekend trip. In deciding between these two packs I am not sure if the panel loading system of the Latitude is a benefit.

Any information you all could provide about these packs or others would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Granger

Singletrack
11-11-2004, 15:04
I am familiar with both packs. The Latitude will be a heavier pack, but if you have to dig around to get something out, the panel makes it easier to get to. Personally, I think its an overkill for a weekend. The Ozone weighs 3 lbs., and you must pull everything out to reach something on the bottom. But with careful packing, you can eliminate this problem. Both have the same frame, and will easily carry your 30 lb. load, or more. Some hikers have complained about the side pockets, but I have the Vapor Trail and Virga, and I can pull out a water bottle, and put it back easily. Takes practice. The Vapor Trail can carry up to 30 lbs (3600 cu. in.) and would be perfect for weekend hikes. The Ozone has become very popular on the trail, and with its interior water bladder pouch, and 3800 cu. in capacity, might be your best choice, since you will be carrying a tent. IMO. Hope this helps.

Granger
11-11-2004, 15:55
Thanks for the quick reply Singletrack. The reason I am leaning twords these two packs instead of the two you mentioned is that I have a 17.5" torso and a big chest and waist. The Latitude and Ozone seemed to be the lightest packs, close to 3500 in volume, that have swapable shoulder straps and hip belts. I probably should have mentioned that in my initial post.

From using my shasta for awhile I have gotten used to digging through the big black hole to find a piece of gear but I am tempted by the system used in the Latitude though I am not sure it is worth the additional half pound.

Also, do you think I will have a hard time getting my tent in there? I have a Tadpole 23. 14" x 7" is the listed stuffed size.

Thanks for your help Singletrack

-Granger

Singletrack
11-11-2004, 16:46
Which ever pack you buy, make sure they swap out a proper fitting hip belt. You will need a short, with your 17.5 torso. Shoulder straps can be adjusted. You will have no problem packing your tent. I still recommend the Ozone. Mainly, 8 oz. is quiet a savings, especially if your eventually going lightweight. Also, once you learn how to pack the Ozone, getting the things you need, becomes no problem. Read some of the reviews on the Ozone at this site.

Granger
11-11-2004, 16:54
Thanks again! Heading to Harper Ferry this weekend to check them out. :)

tarbubble
11-11-2004, 17:24
Backpackgeartest did a full test series on the Nimbus latitude. Here's a link:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Packs/Internal%20and%20External%20Framed%20Backpacks/Granite%20Gear%20%20Nimbus%20Latitude%20Pack/

Initial Reports will detail features & construction, Field & Long-Term Reports will cover actual field performance. Jennifer's Initial & Long-Term reports have pictures as well.

Kerosene
11-11-2004, 21:02
If you can pack the Nimbus Ozone well enough to live with occasional rooting around, then I'd go with that pack for weights of 30-35 pounds. It rides great with 25-30 pounds.

If you can't fit the tent in the main compartment for some reason then you should be able to "lash" it to the outside using the compression straps (although you could save another pound or two by replacing the tent with one of the Six Moon Designs (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com) single-wall models!).

Granger
11-12-2004, 10:15
Tarbubble thanks for the link, that is a really helpful site!

Kerosene thanks for the tent suggestion that is somethign I have to look into!

I think I am leaning twords the Ozone. On the recommendation of a friend I want to check out the ArcTeryx Needle 55 and 65. Looks like it is a pound more though, but a little more bombproof.