PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered maps and booked my flight!

Powder River
07-17-2010, 03:20
Finally settled on the CT as a summer adventure, and am looking forward to it! I will be starting on August 6th. Being a native Wyoming son I am very excited about returning west. Hopefully I will see some of you out there!

On Track
07-17-2010, 11:49
Have a great hike!! You'll be on CT during Waterton closure and probably want to use Indian Creek alternative. The CTF has posted a printable map and info for Waterton Alternative, see WATERTON CLOSURE in right sidebar:

http://www.ColoradoTrail.org/

DuctTape
07-17-2010, 20:09
Cool! I'm starting about a week before you, but I'll probably be moving slow.

Powder River
07-17-2010, 21:21
Great! Maybe we'll run into each other. I remember reading your LT journal beginning to end a while back. Great photos. Can I ask what kind of camera you'll be carrying? I'll be taking my G11 although for the weight I wish it were a Panny GF1. I'm a little worried about battery charging opportunities.

Highway Man
07-18-2010, 09:55
I just bought a Greyhound ticket a few days ago. I'll start on Aug.5. I believe it's going be an awesome experience. Thank Mag for his E2E guide and other members here, as I've relied on their advises/suggestions to plan my hike. Also I want to thank Smilinguy for shuttling me to the trailhead.

I'm bringing a Canon Rebel T2i with a kit lens. The storage devices I have are an 8 GB Transcend Class 6 + a 4 GB Kingston Class4 SDHC, plus a 500 GB portable standalone harddrive. I plan to shoot RAWs all the time to get the best out of it. The extra weight is nothing compared with the beauty of the mountains. In terms of recharging the batteries, one OEM and two third party batteries will be sufficient, I hope, between each town stop. But I still have to lug those adapters with me.:( I'm expecting more frequent recharges than doing it from a bounce box.

Off topic a little bit. Duct Tape, your LT journals are very interesting. I may do part of it this fall from Rutland to the border as a continuation/completion of my LT section hike.

See you guys on the trail. Have a great hike.

Powder River
07-18-2010, 11:05
Funny you're carrying a T2i because I have quite nearly ordered one. How are you carrying that while you hike? I imagine a holster case would work good. You're right the pictures will be worth it. Anyways good luck and I'll see you on the trail.

I just bought a Greyhound ticket a few days ago. I'll start on Aug.5. I believe it's going be an awesome experience. Thank Mag for his E2E guide and other members here, as I've relied on their advises/suggestions to plan my hike. Also I want to thank Smilinguy for shuttling me to the trailhead.

I'm bringing a Canon Rebel T2i with a kit lens. The storage devices I have are an 8 GB Transcend Class 6 + a 4 GB Kingston Class4 SDHC, plus a 500 GB portable standalone harddrive. I plan to shoot RAWs all the time to get the best out of it. The extra weight is nothing compared with the beauty of the mountains. In terms of recharging the batteries, one OEM and two third party batteries will be sufficient, I hope, between each town stop. But I still have to lug those adapters with me.:( I'm expecting more frequent recharges than doing it from a bounce box.

Off topic a little bit. Duct Tape, your LT journals are very interesting. I may do part of it this fall from Rutland to the border as a continuation/completion of my LT section hike.

See you guys on the trail. Have a great hike.

On Track
07-18-2010, 11:30
Taking/having pics adds to the fun. Consider taking a photo of every TH sign. Those sign photos will help you pin the location of other photos after you're home.

Highway Man
07-18-2010, 11:56
Funny you're carrying a T2i because I have quite nearly ordered one. How are you carrying that while you hike? I imagine a holster case would work good. You're right the pictures will be worth it. Anyways good luck and I'll see you on the trail.

I had it a couple of months ago when Best Buy and Canon had a promotion on it. I use a shoulder bag, which weighs a half pound? It's a Lowepro Rezo 110 AW, big enough to fit the camera and lens. It can certainly help protect the camera. The post-process time of the photos will be huge, but worth it.

Highway Man
07-18-2010, 12:05
Taking/having pics adds to the fun. Consider taking a photo of every TH sign. Those sign photos will help you pin the location of other photos after you're home.
I always believe seeing is believing. They can substitute thousands of words. You have a very good suggestion of taking photos at every sign. I did it in a similar way in my AT thru last year, for those at landmarks or significant locations. I also use a log to make a note on each day and dates of the photo to help recall when and where.

DuctTape
07-20-2010, 13:47
I'll have a new Nikon D5000. I'm getting on the road today, see you all out there!