PDA

View Full Version : guidebook and/or maps?

wvgrinder
07-17-2010, 12:38
I'm taking off in a couple of weeks to hopefully hike the LT end to end. Will the guidebook be enough-or should I order maps also??? Thanks.

Quoddy
07-17-2010, 16:25
The Long Trail Guide is sufficient, and the maps in it are good... but I also liked to carry the map, folded to the current location, for quick reference while hiking. If you were to choose either one or the other the Guide would be the way to go.

jlore
07-17-2010, 16:31
i would get both the map and the e2e guide

wvgrinder
07-19-2010, 12:47
I'm thinking of just getting the e2e guide. The GMC only ships orders out on Thursdays-so I still have a day or two to decide. Any more input will be much appreciated :)

Cookerhiker
07-19-2010, 13:12
When Northern Harrier and I hiked the LT in '07 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=6248), between the 2 of us we had all 3: separate standalone map, LT Guide, and LT End-to-Ender's Guide. Also carried a VT state road map. If I was going again, I'd skip the separate LT map but bring the other 3 items.

Diggerlit, forgive me if you already know this but there's some confusion about guides. The LT Guide is a hiking guidebook with good maps, detailed points with both mileage and elevation, and narrative about the hiking. The End-to-Ender's Guide is primarily a guidebook to services along the trail but also some points of interest and details on shelters; it's similar to the ALDHA Companion.

If you only carry the latter guide, you will have no map at all and will not be able to discern the elevation gains/losses between points. On the LT, not every 10 mile segment is created equal! I recommend you bring the LT Guide. If not, then at least carry the VT state roadmap in case you have to bail out.

wvgrinder
07-19-2010, 14:15
When Northern Harrier and I hiked the LT in '07 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=6248), between the 2 of us we had all 3: separate standalone map, LT Guide, and LT End-to-Ender's Guide. Also carried a VT state road map. If I was going again, I'd skip the separate LT map but bring the other 3 items.

Diggerlit, forgive me if you already know this but there's some confusion about guides. The LT Guide is a hiking guidebook with good maps, detailed points with both mileage and elevation, and narrative about the hiking. The End-to-Ender's Guide is primarily a guidebook to services along the trail but also some points of interest and details on shelters; it's similar to the ALDHA Companion.

If you only carry the latter guide, you will have no map at all and will not be able to discern the elevation gains/losses between points. On the LT, not every 10 mile segment is created equal! I recommend you bring the LT Guide. If not, then at least carry the VT state roadmap in case you have to bail out.

Thanks for your detailed response bud. I'm going to order both guides now.

pedxing
07-21-2010, 16:32
I recommend carrying the E2E guide and the map.

I've hiked it twice. I started the first time with both guide books and no map the first time (the Long Trail Guide has little maps). I decided to buy the map in Stowe. Next time, I carried just the E2E guide and the map. This year, I will update my old E2E guide using info from longtrailhiking.info and will carry the map as well. As far as I can tell the hard copy guide has not been updated for this year so its worth checking for updated info at the website.

wvgrinder
07-21-2010, 16:35
I ordered all 3. I am going to read the guidebook before I leave and take the e2e and map w/ me.