PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays On The Trail!

DustyTrail
07-17-2010, 15:36
My Birthday is july 26, in 2011 Im thru hiking the AT and I was just thinking about how neat its going to be on my birthday, ill be turning 25 on the AT YAY,

How many others have had AT BDays and what did you do?

Im working on planning where I,ll be around that day, and try to pre plot out a nice spot on some water(lake/pond) or just a really nice view to spend a day or two just relaxing.

Hikes in Rain
07-17-2010, 16:32
Congratulations! Not on the AT, but on the Resurrection Trail in Alaska, down on the Peninsula. Baked little birthday cakes inside a scooped out orange, nestled in the campfire coals. Watched silly little ducks shooting the rapids of the river we camped on (forget it's name). We thought they were in trouble, until they got to still water, climbed out, flew back up to the head of the rapids, and did it again!

Jack Tarlin
07-17-2010, 16:32
I have never celebrated a birthday while on the Trail and in retrospect, this is probably a good thing.

My birthday is the twelfth of November and I'm pretty sure I don't belong on the Trail then, at least not in New England.

Marta
07-17-2010, 17:10
I hiked into Pearisburg on my birthday. My husband drove up and met me at the well-named Rendezvous Motel. Good times.

DustyTrail
07-17-2010, 17:23
I have never celebrated a birthday while on the Trail and in retrospect, this is probably a good thing.

My birthday is the twelfth of November and I'm pretty sure I don't belong on the Trail then, at least not in New England.

true true.

im starting to actually like my summer bday, mainly for that reason:D

Marta
07-18-2010, 06:36
My b'day is the 17th of November, which is a great time to be on the trail in the southeast. Bugs are dead or sleeping and there are views from the ridgeline you just don't get during the summer.

To each his/her own.

CrumbSnatcher
07-18-2010, 10:07
my birthday is march 5th, and i celebrated it twice at Neels Gap

bwb49
07-18-2010, 10:24
:bananaCelebrated my 50th at Buckhorn Gap shelter in Pisgah National Forest and my 60th in Birkhead Wilderness Uwharrie National Forest. Can't think of a better way to do it. Thanked the Lord that I was able to do it, pray I can do it on my 70th.:banana

MadHatterHiker2010
07-18-2010, 10:36
DustyTrail,

My birthday is July 25th and I am also doing a 2011 thru!! Maybe we could celebrate together!! Regardless, I celebrated another birthday on the trail and not alot beats a birthday morning in the mountains! Happy Early Birthday!

Nest
07-22-2010, 19:12
I summited Katahdin completing my first thru hike in 2008 on my birthday. Completely unexpected. Went to sign in at the ranger's station at the base of the mountain and saw the date in the register.

Kelleelynn
07-22-2010, 21:51
Planning on a 2011 thru hike starting March 7th, my birthday!

Bumpa
07-22-2010, 22:38
Hiked into Damascus on the eve of my 65th birthday after a series of
section hikes being shuttled by Roy out of Mt Rogers outfitters. Woke up the next morning to a call to go down to the outfitters to clear something up and I thought, damn, they made a mistake on the shuttle costs and I owe them money.

Walked in to the store to a large cake which said Happy 65th Birthday
Jim. Cut it up, shared it with customers and staff members. Made a
tremendous impression on me and left me with great memories of Roy, Mt. Rogers Outfitters and Damascus. I plan to spend my 70th birthday on the summit of Katahdin with a bottle of champagne having taken eight years to section hike from Ga to Me

TexasEd
07-23-2010, 13:19
Even though it wasn't the day of my birthday my 3 brothers and I were celebrating my 40th birthday with our first section hike on the AT last year.

A church group baked a cake and gave me a slice while they all sang.

We're going back this year and bringing our 18 year old half-brother too.

freefall
07-23-2010, 13:52
My Dad met me in SNP and we slack-packed for the week. It was nice to have plenty of food, a shower everyday and beer at the beginning of June.

Mags
07-23-2010, 14:44
Crossed the Mason-Dixon line (complete with sign!) on my B-day for the AT...

Was caught in a snowstorm for my B-day on the PCT....

My B-day is May 19th FWIW.

max patch
07-23-2010, 14:52
About 50% of all thru hikers will be on the trail on their birthday.

The Solemates
07-23-2010, 15:02
march 12th - went into atkins, va to celebrate with pizza and a motel

freefall
07-23-2010, 15:10
About 50% of all thru hikers will be on the trail on their birthday.
Thanks for giving us the answer to 6 months on the trail is one half a year.

max patch
07-23-2010, 15:21
Thanks for giving us the answer to 6 months on the trail is one half a year.

You're welcome.

Nean
07-23-2010, 17:04
I've many fond memories of trail birthdays and this past year was no different. National Trails Day, Grand Opening of the Museum, and hanging with friends!:)

Different Socks
07-28-2010, 01:33
Mine is June 17. Best one was on the PCT in 1996. Sitting on the porch at KM when the store owner walks up with a 12 pack of coke on ice in a box and on a plate was 7 big muffins with one in the middle with a lit candle stuck in it. She starts singing Happy Birthday and within seconds all the hikers joined in, singing to me.

My sister had mailed the lady a check and asked her to do something special for my birthday. Guys and gals.....................I just about cried when I called her to say thanks for such a great birthday.

coyote13
07-28-2010, 08:10
My birthday is March 2nd. back in the mid 70's (yes they had birthdays back then) I celibrated 3 consecutive cool night birthdays hiking/camping Ct/Mass sections

Jeepocachers
07-28-2010, 10:43
A friend of mine and I were hiking for a week in the Smokies, and her birthday fell in the middle of that week. I hid away two hostess cupcakes in my pack for two days without crushing them, and then when we stopped to take a rest at Low Gap, I lit a candle in each one and sang her happy birthday. It was so simple, but she absolutely loved it.

Different Socks
07-28-2010, 19:24
A friend of mine and I were hiking for a week in the Smokies, and her birthday fell in the middle of that week. I hid away two hostess cupcakes in my pack for two days without crushing them, and then when we stopped to take a rest at Low Gap, I lit a candle in each one and sang her happy birthday. It was so simple, but she absolutely loved it.

See, that's why it was so great!!

English Stu
07-31-2010, 16:57
I retired from work on the Friday in England and was on the AT by Sunday afternoon. After two weeks on the trail near Catawba I had my 60th birthday on my own in a shelter.I thought now I have officially finished work. Due to have my 66th in Maine this September.

DustyTrail
10-05-2010, 17:48
wow, all great responses. i have been awy from a computer for a while. To come back to see all these great stories is awesome. i cant wait to get back so i can restart this thread with my own story...raining or not blisters and shin splints alike im sure itll probably be the best birthday ive had yet

soulrebel
10-06-2010, 09:12
6.6.6 My birthday date on the year of my hike. I just received my trailname a coupla days before In Harpers Ferry. Later, I found out It's actually the national day of recognition for my "trailname" as well, weird!

I ended up at High Point and soared like an eagle up on High Point with a few friends for an hour or two. Saw an old goat that day out in the woods.

Hiked on down to PenMar where we met a cute female Officer of the law that was recon'n the area for a section hike next weekend. Well after about 15minutes at the overlook, we yogi'd a ride to the KFC for a a coupla buckets o chik'n and 2 cases of Yuengling. Belly's full we watched the sunset and then spread out to sleep below the deck on the grass lawn. We were giggled to sleep by the discussions of several teenagers sitting 15feet above us-schmokin/drinkin/n relating stories about stealing wiid from their parents and using dldos w/ their bff's. They finally noticed us b/c I started snoring so they left and we slept in the pavilion. I think it's the only birthday I can even remember.

The next night I heard that three hikers got tickets for camping there, so if there is a party-git there-safety in numbers!!! And remember you're not sleeping--You're just 'resting your eyes'

BAG "o" TRICKS
10-06-2010, 09:30
I believe it is Sly's birthday today.., :clap:jump"Happy Birthday Bobby!" :banana

IronGutsTommy
10-07-2010, 01:01
december 29th. bad day for a trail bday, kinda bad all around.. what with one present for two events as a kid, and it being sandwiched between christmas and new years, all but a few good friends manage to not forget its there. makes cleaning out my address books and contact lists a bit easier though. ill try to keep warm on my bday and enjoy the serenity, making sure to set my tent up long before the alcohol sets up camp

Red Hat
10-07-2010, 08:45
July 14th... This year I was hiking alone and was pretty depressed at Fahnsworth State Park in NY on the 13th, so I got a ride into Fishkill and checked into the Holiday Inn. I stayed a couple of days. For my birthday I treated myself to two movies and a nice Italian dinner with a little wine.

It was not the birthday I had visioned with hikers. But it got me back on the trail, instead of headed home.

SmokyMtn Hiker
10-07-2010, 09:14
My birthday is tomorrow 10/8 and I am hiking the Trillium Gap Trail in the GSMNP up to Mount LeConte Lodge for lunch. I am taking my wife who has never been and really doesn't hike that much at all so I hope it goes well.

wright975
10-11-2010, 23:31
I'll be celebrating my 45th on Oct. 24 at Harpers Ferry and I can't wait. Any suggestions where to get a nice meal?

Lyle
10-12-2010, 07:17
I spent my 27th birthday on the trail in Colorado, the Weminuche Wilderness to be exact. Gudy Gaskill (of Colorado Trail fame) made me a large pan of sauteed mushrooms for dinner. She was also a past-president of the Colorado Mycological Society, so I figured I could trust her selection of mushrooms. :-)

V Eight
10-12-2010, 08:02
My birthday is Oct 20. I should be somewhere around Standing Indian shelter,
I might go down to the campground & yogi a ride into town :D

Buzz Saw
10-12-2010, 08:44
With luck and the creek don't rise next August I'll get to spend my 64th somewhere along the trail.

Litldube
10-15-2010, 09:35
I will be turning 25 on the trail this year as well. July 24. I have no idea what I will be doing or where I'll be but I'll make it enjoyable.

StorminMormon
10-15-2010, 10:13

My birthday is next month (Nov. 13) and I'll be on the trail with my wife near Hot Springs, NC. It'll be cold - but I badly wanted to be hiking on my birthday this year...so I'll make the best of it. I'll have my wife with me, and with any luck we probably won't see a soul on the trail so it'll be nice to have some alone time with her (we have 3 little kids so this doesn't happen very often).