PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk About Poop & A Couple of Home Depot Sale Items

WalksInDark
07-17-2010, 22:02
I know that most of us don't spend a lot of time worrying about how we are going to dig our cat holes (human waste recycling centers)....until we find out that the 1.7 oz flourescent trowel we bought for the purpose is so light and flimsy that it bends ranther than digs once the duff is even slightly frozen. Then we discover that we really are in deep sh*@! :eek:

So anyhow, Home Depot is having a sale (99 cents) on their "Fiskers Fibercomp Trowel." Fortunately, the trowel is heavy duty and can be used not only for cat hole digging, but could easily be used to clean out those often-overlowing-fire rings (finding a recently cleaned fire ring is always a nice bit of trail magic :)). Additionally, the trowel is strong enough to be used as a weapon :-?. For example, if you run into a radid possum or squirrel and have to do hand-to-hand combat. :banana

The only downside I can report on the trowel is that it weighs about twice as much as the crappy trowel it replaces.

Home Depot's second special deal is a small 6 LED flashlight (less than 3 oz.) that comes complete with the 4 necessary triple AAA batteries installed. For less than $3 how can you go wrong?

I can speak from experience here, having a spare low voltage small flashlight in both my back pack and day pack has saved the day ---think about all of the folks you have ever gone backpacking/camping with who "forgot" :datzto bring a light--- on multiple occasions.

If either of the above sounds like a good addition to your kit, get em soon cause they won't be around long.

JAK
07-18-2010, 06:36
Those are nifty little flashlights.

JAK
07-18-2010, 06:42
This must be the trowel. Good price at $0.99 but I think a trowel or digging stick or digging rock is one of those items you could find or fashion along the way. Keeps me in touch with my primitive side, or backside in this case.

http://www2.fiskars.com/Products/Yard-and-Garden/Cultivating-Tools/Cultivating-Hand-Tools/Trowel-durable-FiberComp-R

Rocket Jones
07-18-2010, 07:05
Thanks for pointing those out. As for a trowel, I carry a snow stake for digging. That way, I also have an extra stake, just in case.

Appalachian Tater
07-18-2010, 08:05
This version may be better for hiking because of the shape and it may be slightly lighter as well:

http://www2.fiskars.com/Products/Yard-and-Garden/Cultivating-Tools/Cultivating-Hand-Tools/Transplanter-durable-FiberComp-R

Regular price is $1.99. Seems like it would be much more durable than the usual plastic hiking trowel but I haven't used one. How does the weight compare to the ones sold in outfitters?

Only downside might be that it's not fluorescent orange but that shouldn't be a real problem. Fiskars' signature color is bright orange so I'm surprised they only used it on the tip of the handle.

Big Dawg
07-18-2010, 08:29
My boot heel doubles as my trowel. Gotta love multi-use gear!! :D

Pedaling Fool
07-18-2010, 08:36
Strange....but I can't remember how I cleaned the ash from some of the fire rings. I know I did, just can't remeber how.

JAK
07-18-2010, 08:53
OK, we've discussed the trowel and flashlight.
When are we going to talk about the poop?

Appalachian Tater
07-18-2010, 09:07
When are we going to talk about the poop?As a breatharian, this isn't a concern for me.

JAK
07-18-2010, 09:10
Could be constipation. I'd get that checked out. :)

Pedaling Fool
07-18-2010, 09:16
Could be constipation. I'd get that checked out. :)
No need to get it checked out, just take action. Every so often I eat a whole plate (large plate) of carrots and celery. I'll save you'll the details but suffice it to say there's nothing left in you. Nothing like the feeling of a complete dump:)

JAK
07-18-2010, 09:30
Oats work well, especially when hiking. When I get into trouble is too much coffee and milk, and also when dieting more agressively, and when less active. I find I never get a good movement out unless it it immediately preceeded by a good movement in, and then I am more or less back where I started. Might try the cleansing thing some time, or just a good long fast of a day or two. Longest I have fasted so far is about 8 hours. Of course I don't do that every night, that would be excessive. lol

Appalachian Tater
07-18-2010, 09:34
I use chili garlic (http://www.huyfong.com/frames/fr_garlic.htm) for salsa with tortilla chips. It comes in jars that hold more than a gallon. Same effect, different method of action. Plus, you get to enjoy the capsaicin twice.

mykl
07-18-2010, 18:59
As far as shovels, I always bring my folding, heavy, shovel/pick with me in the pack. Had it for years and works very well for digging, cleaning fire pits and a great weapon (thankfully never needed it for that). Its about a pound but well worth it.
This guy: http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___23156

4Bears
07-18-2010, 19:27
" ...the crappy trowel..."

Was the pun intended? Bad, so bad, LOL.

JAK
07-18-2010, 20:14
I use chili garlic (http://www.huyfong.com/frames/fr_garlic.htm) for salsa with tortilla chips. It comes in jars that hold more than a gallon. Same effect, different method of action. Plus, you get to enjoy the capsaicin twice.
Now that's one way to carry and deliver bear spray I had never considered.

sbhikes
07-18-2010, 22:16
I use a rock. Why carry around a tool that does the same thing as a rock? Same goes for TP. Rocks, grass, sage work well and I don't have to carry it.

turtle fast
07-18-2010, 22:24
Why use toilet paper...just fling it like a Rhesus monkey!

Panzer1
07-19-2010, 01:37
I use a rock. Why carry around a tool that does the same thing as a rock? Same goes for TP. Rocks, grass, sage work well and I don't have to carry it.

what if the grass has chiggers or ticks on it. :eek:

Panzer

Old River Rat
07-19-2010, 02:54

Rocks for TP? What if you by chance use a previously used rock?

Heater
07-19-2010, 03:00

After I make a drop, I like to find a thick patch of grass, sit down, lean forward just a little and drag myself around in it. It takes some practice but it's all in the technique really.
I spreads it around thin enough to where it dries quickly and the UV rays from the sun will sterilize it. One good rain washes it down as fertilizer so others can enjoy the spot.

:sun

Old River Rat
07-19-2010, 06:37
you stole that idea from my chiuaua!

Uncle Cranky
07-19-2010, 08:59
[QUOTE=Austexs;1032899]After I make a drop, I like to find a thick patch of grass, sit down, lean forward just a little and drag myself around in it. It takes some practice but it's all in the technique really.

Could you add some pictures so we could get a better idea of your technique?

mykl
07-19-2010, 11:01
TP is well worth the weight. Even if it weighed 5 pounds a sheet, I'd still carry it and use it over rocks and a$$ dragging. But thats just me....

sevensixtwo187
07-19-2010, 11:30

A rock for TP? Damn! That is hardcore! I was in the Army Infantry for 11 years and never saw anyone use a rock! WOW! :eek:

Llama Legs
07-19-2010, 18:14
Thanks for pointing those out. As for a trowel, I carry a snow stake for digging. That way, I also have an extra stake, just in case.

that's brilliant. aluminum about 1 ounce. titanium 10 grams!

shelterbuilder
07-20-2010, 18:03
Why use toilet paper...just fling it like a Rhesus monkey!

Rhesus pieces? :o:D

sorry, couldn't resist.

sbhikes
07-22-2010, 17:17
Smooth rocks work well. But mostly I use sage or grass or a branch from a fir tree. I look to make sure there are no ticks before I stick my backside in the bushes and I definitely look at the grass in my hand before I use it. Seriously, it's a much cleaner way to go. Do a search on youtube for Backcountry poo-poo clinic and you'll learn how it's done. It's so much better not to carry TP.

ki0eh
07-22-2010, 19:20
Rhesus pieces? :o:D

E.T.'s gonna come pound your ***... :banana

berkshirebirder
07-22-2010, 19:46
This is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much information...