PDA

View Full Version : Campmor Trekking Poles.

12ax7
07-17-2010, 23:01
i know, i know...lol... not another pole or no pole thread . wuz just wondering if they are worth the money?. my POU on this is , i don't use poles but they are multi purpose items. when not in hammock, it wud be really nice to use poles for my tarp as a tent, and for creek crossings and such. i hate to buy the ones from China Mart if i can use that money on some decent ones.. thanks. jim

Blue Jay
07-18-2010, 08:54
i know, i know...lol... not another pole or no pole thread .

Actually recently we went for a whole day without a single pole worshiper posting. The cult is slipping away.:banana

schnikel
07-18-2010, 10:19
I bought my wife some Campmor poles about 2 years ago and had no problems with them at all. I believe they are actually made by Leki so the quality is a lot better than what you would find at Wally World. She has a couple hundred miles on them by now and loves them.
Schnikel

Pringles
07-18-2010, 12:16
Mine have lasted 8 years, with a fair amount of use.

Bucherm
07-18-2010, 12:28
Actually recently we went for a whole day without a single pole worshiper posting. The cult is slipping away.:banana

If being a pole worshiper puts me in the same league as Colin Fletcher then I gladly accept the label! :mad:

12ax7
07-18-2010, 12:37
tnx schnikel and pringles. i really appreciate the info!!.. i am still looking. i hate to pay alot for poles that wont be used much.. but hey, i might love them when i use them..lol..

12ax7
07-18-2010, 16:25
also, anyone know abt the mountainsmith of easton poles

daddytwosticks
07-18-2010, 16:46
I got the Campmor Leki brand. I think they are called "Switchbacks"? Have several hundered miles on them and feel naked when I hike without them. Well worth the modest cost in my opinion and better than the Wal-Mart ones I first started out with. :)

couscous
07-19-2010, 05:14
Have had the Leki Voyager poles from Campmor 8-9 years with no issues. My sons (240#/270#) grab them when they want poles they can rely on.

Blue Jay
07-19-2010, 08:23
If being a pole worshiper puts me in the same league as Colin Fletcher then I gladly accept the label! :mad:

Actually I love Mr. Fletcher's work. I don't remember him going on and on and on about any piece of equipment including poles.

sevensixtwo187
07-19-2010, 09:48
also, anyone know abt the mountainsmith of easton poles

I just got and used a pair of the Mountainsmith poles in the Smokies back in June. I really like them alot! of course this is from someone who never used poles before. I mean they aren't Leki's but they seem to be decent enough. The have shock absorbers. I wish I could tell you how they hold up but obviously I have not had them long enough. :cool:

12ax7
07-19-2010, 17:52
thanks sevensixtwo.. i found the mountainsmiths after i posted this thread.lol. i think there abt 30 dollars or so. i have never used poles either . so now its between mountainsmiths and the campmors..lol thanks again .

pixel
07-19-2010, 20:38
def worth it! best choice in my opinion are pacer poles. GREAT, COMFORTABLE hand grip design. lightweight. WELL WORTH the money.

brooklynkayak
07-23-2010, 14:40
Actually I love Mr. Fletcher's work. I don't remember him going on and on and on about any piece of equipment including poles.

I seem to remember him discussing at length about hiking sticks, but he used a bamboo hiking stick, not trekkeng poles.
Unless he switched to trekking poles later?

brooklynkayak
07-23-2010, 14:51
Campmor has had several different trekking poles over the years, made by different manufacturers.

My wife and I have owned a couple pair, both in the $50 to $60 range, if I remember correctly.
One pair made by Leki had tempered steel tips that wore down after one season. The locks were also noisy.

The other made by Komperdell, had tips of carbide that held up far better. They had silent twist locks that can slip a little over time. No a problem for me. Just do some readjusting on breaks.
I have really abused these, the paint is warn off in a lot of spots, all scratched up, but I am very happy with them.

They are heavier than most of the more expensive models.
I'd go for that model again, if I needed new poles.