PDA

View Full Version : Superior Hiking Trail

timmiller232
07-18-2010, 22:19
I'm planning a thru-hike in a couple of weeks. Any tips?

turtle fast
07-18-2010, 22:22
Bring mosquito repellent.....the Upper midwest has had a bumper crop this year.

IceAge
07-19-2010, 09:38
Here's a thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36543&highlight=superior) with my trip report of the southern half from a few years ago, guess I never posted a trip report for the northern half.

Campsites you should use: Sonju Lake, Aspen Knob, Lake Agnes

Campsites you should avoid : N and S Beaver River, Chapins Ridge

Erin
07-19-2010, 23:12
Please post about your trip. Our group is going in September for a week long section. I have heard wonderful things about this hike and am looking forward to it. A guy from this site recently did a trip and he will probably see this post. He had great suggestions for areas to see some very nice scenery. We are doing Temperance River State park to Cascade State park and maybe on to Grand Marias.
Enjoy your hike.

Erin
07-19-2010, 23:21
I apologize. The poster's white blaze user name is McPick. He also gave us very good suggestions for when we get off and head north just to sight see the area and camp in very secenic areas. McPick, are you out there?

map man
07-20-2010, 00:19
I predict you will have a wonderful time -- it's a well maintained trail through beautiful country.

I thru-hiked in 2006 and 2007 and hiked most of it in 2008. I would avoid Hazel tentsite, the first tentsite north of Judge Magney State Park, near the north end of the trail. No water sources nearby, no level spots for tents, and the couple times I've stopped there to use the benches for a rest, I had ticks crawling up my legs within minutes. South Carlson Pond tentsite, just 2.3 miles away, is one of my favorites on the trail, so I would definitely stop there instead whether going north or south.

If you start at the north end, please don't be discouraged by the northermost mile of trail, which goes through land that was just clear-cut in 2008 (unless they have done a reroute since I hiked there in spring 2008). Things will get better, I promise. And if you choose to end the trail in the north, you will have lots of fond memories of the rest of the trail to blot out that last bit.

I just looked at weather.com and it looks like they have received a fairly normal amount of rain for July there on the north shore, unlike a lot of other places in the midwest which have been really wet. But unless there is a real dry spell in the next two weeks, you will definitely want to bring the deet.

On weekdays you will probably have tentsites to yourself, but on weekends there will likely be other hiking parties to share sites with. Look at this as an opportunity, not a curse. I have encountered hikers sometimes on weekends who get real territorial about THEIR tentsite, and that is not cool. The chance to chat with other hikers is one of the highlights of the experience, in my book.

My next encounter with the SHT is going to be a 50 mile trail ultramarathon in September from Finland to Lutsen. I hope your experience with this magnificent trail is less painful than mine is likely to be!

isawtman
01-29-2011, 12:47
I have encountered hikers sometimes on weekends who get real territorial about THEIR tentsite, and that is not cool.

According to the SHT Guidebook, you must share your campsite if there is an open tent pad.

And I've read on the SHT Hiker Group that even if a campsite is full, if you cannot make it to the next campsite, you should camp next to the campsite your at to avoid camping on private land.

regards from me, Tman

Joshuatree
03-28-2011, 19:26
Its that time of the year. I want to do a week or ten day hike at the end of may and early june. I'm aiming at starting at Rossi rd and heading north as far as I can. I'm looking for some general info on the campsites for new sections they opened up, are there any ones to avoid if possible I've read the info they have posted over at the SHT website just wandering if there was anything else to watch out for.
I've done a couple of the sections north of Oberg Mountain a few years ago so I have the older set of maps and trail guide book. I'm hoping to get everything south of Oberg over the course of this summer and fall. and finish the rest next summer.

Thanks for any help you can give

isawtman
03-30-2011, 03:29
I suggest you join the Superior Hiking Trail
Yahoo Group Called the Hiker Group.
it's located at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hiker/

There are lots of people on that group that
really know their stuff

regards from me, Tman

Erin
03-30-2011, 23:56
Old thead but new post. We did our hiker girl week on this wonderful trail last September. It is a beautiful hike. We did a 35 mile section of it. The SHT has a website, shuttle info and maps. They are very helpful. Shuttle was great. The hike is not that difficult, but the weather on Lake Superior is strange so be prepared for all. I cannot say enough good things about the SHT. Underused and wonderful.