PDA

View Full Version : The Maze District, Canyonlands NP

SweetT
07-19-2010, 09:07
Me and few buddies are planning to hike the Maze District in the Canyonlands NP in about a month. We have started doing reserach on the known water sources in the area, and would love to hear from anyone that's familiar with that area. Any inputs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

gravityman
07-19-2010, 10:58
August = way too hot!

Mags
07-19-2010, 14:00
Yeah..what gravity man said! :)

Highs of 101F and a low of 70F in Moab right now. :eek:

Better to wait until the latter part of September. If you really are gung-ho for the Moab area, try the La Sal mountains (http://www.summitpost.org/area/range/190208/la-sal-mountains.html) that are near Moab.

At ~9000 ft, it is a much more pleasant 70F on average.

Never hiked them, so I could not tell you much more. :)

SweetT
07-22-2010, 09:02
we are actually going in early september, so hopefully it will cool down some by then...

skinewmexico
07-22-2010, 10:27
Maybe 5 degrees cooler in early September. But probably not.

Dogwood
07-22-2010, 14:26
Definitely going to be HOT HOT HOT even in early Sept. Personally, I like the Needles area of Canyonlands NP the most. It affords Great day and overnight hikes from the campground. Slot Tr, Elephant Canyon, Druid Arch, and the hike out to the confluence are all great hikes! Virgina and Chesler Parks have some outstanding scenery and campsites not shortly forgotten!

How are you getting to your hiking areas in The Maze District? Many folks drive 4WDs part way in and then hike in this area. It's a LONG HOT HOT HOT DRY DRY DRY hike on dirt roads if you don't drive in, at least part way! Since you are driving part way in, which I think is the most likely scenario, H2O will be in your car and you can carry some out on day or overnight hikes in this area. H2O is ABSOLUTELY DEFINITELY a BIG concern at all times in The Maze and especially in Sept. I would not only have a hiking book on The Maze, which should mention H2O sources, but I would also inquire at the Islands in The Sky Visitors Center or at Hans Flat Ranger Station on current water availability when you get there. The best source for guidance on current water sources is from the Backcountry Rangers at the Visitors Center or Ranger Stations closest to The Maze District.

Dogwood
07-22-2010, 14:30
OH, depending on how far out and how long you are hiking away from the car DEFINITELY bring some detailed TOPOS covering where you will be hiking or, at the very least, the Nat Geo TI map of The Maze District.

Mags
07-22-2010, 14:49
Definitely going to be HOT HOT HOT even in early Sept. Personally, I like the Needles area of Canyonlands NP the most. It affords Great day and overnight hikes from the campground.

Indeed. Relatively accessible (vs the 4wd only access to the maze), great scenery and you don't get the windshield tourist crowd of the Island int the Sky District.

These shots were taken on a trip to Canyolands in The Needles district just before Turkey Day. The first two are from the Salt Creek area (backpack, the arch a side trip called Angel Arch), the last one is from the Confluence (day hike)

http://ih2.redbubble.net/work.4398913.1.flat,550x550,075,f.salt-creek.jpg

http://ih1.redbubble.net/work.4221787.1.flat,550x550,075,f.angel-arch.jpg

http://ih3.redbubble.net/work.4221797.1.flat,550x550,075,f.the-confluence.jpg

We did not see anyone on the Salt Creek backpack....

SweetT
07-26-2010, 11:32
Definitely going to be HOT HOT HOT even in early Sept. Personally, I like the Needles area of Canyonlands NP the most. It affords Great day and overnight hikes from the campground. Slot Tr, Elephant Canyon, Druid Arch, and the hike out to the confluence are all great hikes! Virgina and Chesler Parks have some outstanding scenery and campsites not shortly forgotten!

How are you getting to your hiking areas in The Maze District? Many folks drive 4WDs part way in and then hike in this area. It's a LONG HOT HOT HOT DRY DRY DRY hike on dirt roads if you don't drive in, at least part way! Since you are driving part way in, which I think is the most likely scenario, H2O will be in your car and you can carry some out on day or overnight hikes in this area. H2O is ABSOLUTELY DEFINITELY a BIG concern at all times in The Maze and especially in Sept. I would not only have a hiking book on The Maze, which should mention H2O sources, but I would also inquire at the Islands in The Sky Visitors Center or at Hans Flat Ranger Station on current water availability when you get there. The best source for guidance on current water sources is from the Backcountry Rangers at the Visitors Center or Ranger Stations closest to The Maze District.

we are getting dropped off at Spanish Bottom by jetboat, then getting picked up by jetboat at the same place in 5 days. i understand that water is very scarce in the Maze, that's why we are all doing as much research on water sources as possible before we get out there, and we will definitely check with the rangers once we arrive. then probably carry at least a gallon per person per day. if there is no water at any possible water source, we will just head back to Spanish Bottom and set up camp, and do day hikes into Ernies Country. and about the heat, we plan to find shade in the canyons to rest through the hottest part of the day, :suninstead of hiking in blazing heat. any more suggestions? i'm trying to cover most of all my basis. thanks.

Luddite
09-19-2010, 15:16
I wonder if did this hike or not. I bet the rangers wouldn't give you a permit.

No sane person hikes in the Maze district in August. I would wait until fall or winter to do a hike like that. I prefer hiking in winter in Utah. In fall there is usually too many people.