PDA

View Full Version : LT Division 2 Hike

redseal
07-19-2010, 09:42
Hi all,
The wife and I hiked from Rte. 9 to Kelley Stand Rd. this weekend and I figured I would give a trail update for those of you who are planning to be in the area shortly.

In short, the trail was in perfect condition. There was only about a 1 mile stretch of mud which was located about 2 miles south of Kelley Stand Rd. Water was flowing quite well in most places, although it was a little dry at the Kid Gore shelter. Mosquitoes were out, but not terrible.

We met quite a few AT thru-hikers....4 going NOBO and 5 going SOBO.

As a side note, does anyone know what the Do Not Enter and One Way signs near the fire tower atop Glastenbury are for?

Yukon
07-19-2010, 10:26
Hi all,
The wife and I hiked from Rte. 9 to Kelley Stand Rd. this weekend and I figured I would give a trail update for those of you who are planning to be in the area shortly.

In short, the trail was in perfect condition. There was only about a 1 mile stretch of mud which was located about 2 miles south of Kelley Stand Rd. Water was flowing quite well in most places, although it was a little dry at the Kid Gore shelter. Mosquitoes were out, but not terrible.

As a side note, does anyone know what the Do Not Enter and One Way signs near the fire tower atop Glastenbury are for?

Those signs are for the one-way snowmobile trail that goes over the top of the mountain.

Cookerhiker
07-19-2010, 10:48
Hi all,

How was the view from the Glastonbury fire tower? I missed my chance on my '07 end-to-end hike (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=205061) because of thick fog & misty rain. The only other time I've been there was back in '77 when the view revealed only forests, mountains, and lakes - nothing man-made in sight.

redseal
07-19-2010, 11:28
How was the view from the Glastonbury fire tower? I missed my chance on my '07 end-to-end hike (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=205061) because of thick fog & misty rain. The only other time I've been there was back in '77 when the view revealed only forests, mountains, and lakes - nothing man-made in sight.

The view was great! Still no man-made structures in sight. It was very windy atop the fire tower which felt great on a day where temps were approaching 90 degrees.

Jeff
07-19-2010, 11:35
Thanks for the report. Is the spring at Kid Gore adequate to fill water bottles?

redseal
07-19-2010, 11:44
Thanks for the report. Is the spring at Kid Gore adequate to fill water bottles?

Currently, the stream there is running very slowly. However, we were able to filter about 4 liters of water from it without trouble.

redseal
07-19-2010, 11:46
Those signs are for the one-way snowmobile trail that goes over the top of the mountain.

Hmmm...sort of makes sense. What's the other way down then for snowmobiles? In other words, if a snowmobile comes up that trail then technically they cannot got down it because it is a one way. So how do they get down? I'm not too worried about knowing the answer, it just seemed odd to have a one way :-)

Yukon
07-19-2010, 11:56
Hmmm...sort of makes sense. What's the other way down then for snowmobiles? In other words, if a snowmobile comes up that trail then technically they cannot got down it because it is a one way. So how do they get down? I'm not too worried about knowing the answer, it just seemed odd to have a one way :-)

It goes up one side of the mountain and down another. The trail with the sign that said "do not enter" was the trail that comes up the mountain. A different trail goes down it. If you look for the markers for the snowmobile trail you can see where it heads down the mountain.

BTW, thanks for the trail report, I'll be back up there in about a month on our End-to-End :)

redseal
07-19-2010, 12:03
It goes up one side of the mountain and down another. The trail with the sign that said "do not enter" was the trail that comes up the mountain. A different trail goes down it. If you look for the markers for the snowmobile trail you can see where it heads down the mountain.

BTW, thanks for the trail report, I'll be back up there in about a month on our End-to-End :)

That's what I figured...I just didn't see the other side of the trail while up there. Have fun on the E2E, too bad work keeps me from doing one myself.

Cookerhiker
07-19-2010, 13:20
....BTW, thanks for the trail report, I'll be back up there in about a month on our End-to-End :)

And I hope you report back to us on WB about your hike. You're going at a perfect time of year.

Yukon
07-19-2010, 13:54
And I hope you report back to us on WB about your hike. You're going at a perfect time of year.

Will do! Can't wait to get out there :)

pedxing
07-21-2010, 16:26
Hey RedSeal - Thanks for the report. I like that section. It was a cool coincidence because I came through there right after you. I joined the GMC centennial Long Trail Relay for July 19th and did exactly that section (Rt. 9 to Kelley Stand) Monday (a friend and I went up to Stratton the evening before and camped out at Kelley Stand). I saw evidence of some car break ins at the Rt 9 lot. I met at least 8 SOBO AT hikers and even more NOBOs - I didn't notice any LT E2E hikers though.

Here's my report: http://www.longtrailhiking.info/webboard/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=487

Yukon if you are going NOBO, I may well see you I'm going up to Journey's End and heading south in 10 days.

Yukon
07-22-2010, 08:41
Yukon if you are going NOBO, I may well see you I'm going up to Journey's End and heading south in 10 days.

The timing will be right I think, we should probably cross paths somewhere in the southern section I would guess. Stop and say hello :)