PDA

View Full Version : Tracfones in vermont?

wvgrinder
07-19-2010, 12:19
My cell phone was thru work. I just quit my job & had to give it up. I was thinking about buying a Tracfone for my upcoming e2e. Does anyone know how well that would work??? Thanks!

wvgrinder
07-20-2010, 10:38
I might go w/ T-Mobile or Sprint. Anyone know how well those do???

greenmtnboy
07-20-2010, 11:12
I would check out this map on deadzones: http://www.deadcellzones.com/tracfone.html

As I recall, Sprint/Virgin mobile had coverage in the Manchester, VT, and other major towns, Tracfone has more, Verizon has even more, but not much coverage in the remote areas. High elevation gives you a huge advantage.

Yukon
07-20-2010, 11:18
I have the iPhone with AT&T and it has worked great in VT :)

Praha4
07-20-2010, 12:56
how good is Verizon wireless on the Long trail in vermont?

NorthCountryWoods
07-20-2010, 15:40
how good is Verizon wireless on the Long trail in vermont?

They have the best coverage in state. They must have recently installed new towers cuz I'm getting service in places I never did before. You probably still won't have service in many of the valleys, but almost all the northern peaks have some service.

My mother inlaw has a tracphone and it works in Burlington and St. Albans, but then again she doesn't get out to the woods much. I know it doesn't work in Cambridge/Waterville/Johnson, but verizon does.

greenmtnboy
07-20-2010, 15:50
You'd be OK for most of the Long Trail. Dead zones would probably be in valleys. The section north and south of Johnson would have significant gaps, once you get out of the immediate town towers. The Breadloaf wilderness off the ridges. Vermont citizens have fought the cell tower installation initiatives.

In Connecticut, BTW, there is a hearing on the placement of a tower in Cornwall today. Pretty spotty access between Cornwall Bridge and Falls Village. Gordon Ridgeway is the mayor of Cornwall and an organic farmer. When the Appalachian Trail went over Mohalk Mountain and through Cornwall he would have hikers stop by from time to time to volunteer on his farm back in the 80's.

http://www.cornwallct.org/whatis_new.html

There are many concerns about cell towers, not just aesthetics. I spoke with the gentleman who will be getting around $2000 a month if the cell tower is built on his land--he surely wants it.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=19154978&BRD=1380&PAG=461&dept_id=157525&rfi=6

wvgrinder
07-20-2010, 21:08
Thanks 4 all of the info folks. It has been helpful to myself & others it seems. That's what WB is all about! :sun

Tinker
07-20-2010, 21:49
I couldn't get a signal with Verizon last weekend at Montclair Glen Lodge. On top of Camel's Hump I could, though.

Jeff
07-21-2010, 06:19
Verizon works great not only on top Stratton Mt but also at Stratton Pond Shelter!!

Deadeye
07-21-2010, 09:23
I use Tracfone, seems to work fine for me. As everyone's said, reception tends to be great on top, not so hot in the valleys or protected areas, and my experience with other services is about the same. At some places, you're right next to the tower (Jay Peak for one) and can get a perfectly good signal with aluminum foil and string!

double d
07-21-2010, 14:33
I just got back from hiking the LT/AT in Vermont (from Man.Center to Killington Mt.) and I had good cell phone reception on my Tracfone. There were places that I lost reception, but overall, it was good and Vermont is in the process of updated its cell phone infrastructure (they paint them green BTW). Good investiment in the tracfone.

wvgrinder
07-21-2010, 14:59
I bought a Tracfone last night. With the double minutes-it's not a bad deal. As soon as I get back to work, they'll give me a phone. So, there's no sense in signing a contract.

Blue Jay
07-21-2010, 19:05
I bought a Tracfone last night. With the double minutes-it's not a bad deal. As soon as I get back to work, they'll give me a phone. So, there's no sense in signing a contract.

There is a little card that has to be replaced if you take a Northern Trac below PA. They will send it to you free. Tracfones rule, very low cost, no BS contract. I'm so glad I sledge hammered my Verizon in their store.

GrubbyJohn
07-23-2010, 11:11
i agree tracphone rocks i've had nothing but good things to say about them... and at 20 + dollars you can't go wrong