PDA

View Full Version : Easy Kid Friendly Overnighter

Hooch
07-19-2010, 16:47
Ok, y'all, I need some ideas here. My 9 year old son is coming to visit me and I'd like to take him on his first overnight backpacking trip while he's here. Any ideas for a fairly easy overnighter in GA/NC/TN/VA for me to take kiddo on? I thought about maybe hiking up to Wise Shelter from the Grayson Highlands Campground parking area and hammocking there, but was looking for other ideas. Something with a view would be great, but not a requirement. A blue blaze trail would be good, too, but not a requirement. A water source would be nice, too, and a swimming hole would be a huge plus. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for any and all suggestions!

"I'm all ears." - H. Ross Perot

:D

Lone Wolf
07-19-2010, 17:47
hike up to rhododendron gap from massie gap. it's less than 3 miles one way. plenty of campsites with views

bigben
07-20-2010, 09:43
Just last week me and my 8 1/2 y/o son did this. Drove up FS42 to the Springer parking lot, hiked up Springer and back down and onto Three Forks where we camped. We could have gone on to Longs Creek Falls but he was tired and it was hot. The creek at Three Forks was a great water spot for him to play. That whole day is like 5-6 miles, most all of it very easy and downhill. The next day we broke camp and hiked the 3.2 miles back to the truck. That is all uphill, but still very easy, with Stover shelter being a good halfway break spot. I can't think of a better easy, short overnighter between Springer and Fontana.

chelko
07-26-2010, 09:38
Drive into the Scales on FR 613. Head north on the AT 1.5 miles to the junction with Pine Mtn Trail.
Go left on pine Mtn trail to the junction with Lewis Fork Trail. From the juntion continuie on the Pine Mtn Trail about 200yds and look to the left, you will see a corral about 30ft suqare in the middle of the slope. That is a great spring, water up there then continue another 200 yds or so and on your right there is a great compisite in the trees with a vie wback across the valley. I was just ther this weekend with my 12 year old daughter. Easy hike for a kid.

max patch
07-26-2010, 12:57
Park at Lake Winfield Scott State Park. Take Jarrad Gap trail to AT. Head N and spend nite at Woods Hole Shelter. Continue N on AT to Slaughter Creek trail. Head W on Slaughter until you end up back at Lake Winfield. Nice beach area meant for swimming with a dock out in the water aways. I do this as a day hike a couple times a year in the summer; the swim is a great way to cool off before driving home. This section of the AT is between Woody and Neels.