PDA

View Full Version : Parking at Carver's Gap?

nitegaunt
07-19-2010, 18:30
Anybody have any horror stories about parking here? I was planning on doing a few days heading north from there in a week or so. Wondering how safe it is to park there.

Tennessee Viking
07-19-2010, 18:54
Its been fairly calm the last couple years. Just don't have anything in plain view. The Baa-tany Project caretakers are also camping on the Balds.

But the only horror story I can tell you is that Carvers Gap is the only parking on the mountain top. Roan Gardens and Cloudland parking areas are closed due to construction until next year. Its been fairly crowded on the weekends.

Probably be easier to just shuttle.

Kincora and Braemar in Hampton.
Mountain Harbour in Roan Mtn.
CeeCee at Greasy Creek Friendly.
Johnnys in Erwin.

nitegaunt
07-19-2010, 19:58
Thanks for the advice. If it's crowded then I guess that ups my odds of being the car that's not broken into, haha! Well, I was going to do a couple of days heading north but I have friends around Watauga Lake so I guess I could just park there and then head south to Roan.

Chaco Taco
07-19-2010, 21:11
Thanks for the advice. If it's crowded then I guess that ups my odds of being the car that's not broken into, haha! Well, I was going to do a couple of days heading north but I have friends around Watauga Lake so I guess I could just park there and then head south to Roan.
just dont park at the Watauga Trailhead. Also, we have parked at Carvers many many times and have never had any problems. Have not heard of anyone having trouble there either. Just park at Mountain Harbour and have them shuttle you. If you get to 19 and want to bail, you have that option. You dont want to hike south from 19, its a long long climb and it sucks doing it from the south.