PDA

View Full Version : The Philosphers Guide to the A.T.

springerfever
07-19-2010, 20:43
I am looking for books related to the early days of the AT. I have quite a collection but having been looking for the above guide which was published by the ATC from 1983 thru 1990. It was written by Darell Maret, and each year was updated with current information regarding the trail and was particularly useful to thru hikers. I am looking for copies of any year regardless of condition..Thanks !

Jeff
07-20-2010, 05:23
This item comes up from time to time on eBay.

Nean
07-21-2010, 04:45
I am looking for books related to the early days of the AT. I have quite a collection but having been looking for the above guide which was published by the ATC from 1983 thru 1990. It was written by Darell Maret, and each year was updated with current information regarding the trail and was particularly useful to thru hikers. I am looking for copies of any year regardless of condition..Thanks !

Glad someone remembers this. WF took it over and changed the name and now many uninformed give him credit for creating something he reprinted.:(

Lone Wolf
07-21-2010, 06:34
i have the 85, 87 and 90 PGs

max patch
07-21-2010, 08:44
The 1983 PG is online:

http://www.atmuseum.org/Philosophers_guide_83.htm

Rain Man
07-21-2010, 11:06
There appear to be two copies for sale on www.alibris.com for, ... get this, ...

$193.38 and $68.00.

WOW.

Rain:sunMan

greenmtnboy
07-21-2010, 13:11
Appropos the title of your thread, I thought I would reference this site on Benton McKaye's vision. I have never heard a talk on the formative thinkers on the Long Trail and the Appalachian Trail.

http://www.wilderdom.com/vignettes/Appalachian.htm

Doctari
07-21-2010, 13:31
The 1983 PG is online:

http://www.atmuseum.org/Philosophers_guide_83.htm

A VERY interesting read, I suggest taking the time to see how the AT (& attitudes) have changed in the past "few" years.
27 years ago, the Philosopher suggests shortcuts, he even says things like, "You may want to avoid this stretch & take (a suggested) route." How different from today's "You MUST hike past ALL blazes, [no matter how stupid the routing] to be a TRUE thru hiker!!" attitude.

Take note anyone who thought to give grief to those taking the VA creeper into or out of Damascus:
I found it interesting That the rail line that became the creeper trail was, for the most part, the AT in 1983. Hooray "Retro Blazing", Boo to poor trail routing, which was a complaint even back then. Some things never change. :D

Mags
07-21-2010, 13:39
27 years ago, the Philosopher suggests shortcuts, he even says things like, "You may want to avoid this stretch & take (a suggested) route." How different from today's "You MUST hike past ALL blazes, [no matter how stupid the routing] to be a TRUE thru hiker!!" attitude.

The less defined a trail, the more of the attitude you see above.

As a trail (and its culture) becomes more defined, you see the opposite view. The PCT was very much like the above quote. Now, while the attitude is still mainly a corridor approach, it is changing. Believe it or not, there is an anon Internet troll who takes a purity approach for the CDT and chastises others who do not.

max patch
07-21-2010, 13:46
A VERY interesting read, I suggest taking the time to see how the AT (& attitudes) have changed in the past "few" years.

Take note anyone who thought to give grief to those taking the VA creeper into or out of Damascus:
I found it interesting That the rail line that became the creeper trail was, for the most part, the AT in 1983. Hooray "Retro Blazing", Boo to poor trail routing, which was a complaint even back then. Some things never change. :D

"You are misunderstanding what The Philosopher is saying...

As a philosopher, I'm not going to be sanctimonious and tell you to be a purist. That is a decision you must make. I will tell you, however, that if you finish the Trail and claim to be a 2,000 Miler, then ATC has a right to presume that you have hiked every single mile of the present official Appalachian Trail."

Doctari
07-21-2010, 14:05

As a philosopher, I'm not going to be sanctimonious and tell you to be a purist. That is a decision you must make. I will tell you, however, that if you finish the Trail and claim to be a 2,000 Miler, then ATC has a right to presume that you have hiked every single mile of the present official Appalachian Trail."

Say WHAT??? :eek:

Re-read what I said. I think you have what I said backwards.

emerald
07-21-2010, 14:20
They have long existed and I don't count cyberspace or believe it contributes much.

gravityman
07-21-2010, 14:39
I have to say, I was surprised by the book, and how much is SIMILAR to what you read on the internet. Almost all the suggestions are the same. Camel up at water sources, don't take too much weight. I especially like this piece of advice:

"27. Avoid the prejudice of mileage (they are sluggards if you pass them, they are fools to be going so fast if they pass you, etc). A bad attitude like this will affect you physically."

Panzer1
07-21-2010, 14:40
that's a neat link. I book marked it.

I can remember seeing these for sale in the outfitter years back. I didn't buy it then because I thought it did not have enough detail for my liking. If they are really worth $200, I should have bought several of them.

Panzer

Mags
07-21-2010, 17:18
I have to say, I was surprised by the book, and how much is SIMILAR to what you read on the internet. Almost all the suggestions are the same. Camel up at water sources, don't take too much weight. I especially like this piece of advice:

"27. Avoid the prejudice of mileage (they are sluggards if you pass them, they are fools to be going so fast if they pass you, etc). A bad attitude like this will affect you physically."

I enjoyed that one, too.

I really liked the quote (on the same page) that starts "What is the best way to hike the AT?" and goes on to state that the trail has been done many ways, but ultimately "What you must learn..is what works for you".

http://www.atmuseum.org/philosophers%20guide_83/7.jpg

rickb
07-21-2010, 18:13

Well said. Though I appreciated the Philosopher's point number 28 here as well. Especially the second to last line of condemnation.

http://www.atmuseum.org/philosophers%20guide_83/7.jpg

poohbear
07-21-2010, 19:05
Appropos the title of your thread, I thought I would reference this site on Benton McKaye's vision. I have never heard a talk on the formative thinkers on the Long Trail and the Appalachian Trail.

just a minor point- the long trail was conceived 21 or so years before the at.
1910 for the lt
1921 for the at

waywardfool
07-25-2010, 20:18
I'm pretty sure I still have several from those years. I'll see what I got packed away.

The PG was really a goldmine back then. There weren't too many sources of information, pre-Internet, unlike what we have available now.

waywardfool
07-25-2010, 20:28
WOW, they really are asking 193.38 for a 1990 at alibris. I just bought a book for work, found it found 120 on alibris..but it's still in print, and you can get it brand-new, in hardcover, for $15. I wonder if anybody really falls for that site?

emerald
07-25-2010, 21:12
There weren't too many sources of information, pre-Internet, unlike what we have available now.

ATC's guides were quite satisfactory and word-of-mouth may have been even better then than now.

waywardfool
07-25-2010, 21:52
ATC's guides were quite satisfactory and word-of-mouth may have been even better then than now.

The last ATC guide I bought was the 2009 NC/TN. Doubt I'll buy another. Between the data book, internet sources, and the fact that the AT route is so clear and well-marked now, the guide is not as essential as it used to be.

Terribly difficult to photocopy and read for a section-hike now if going from S to N. I truly hate the new format.

emerald
07-25-2010, 21:56
ATC produces the official maps, sold seperately, which are an important component of its guides and they and its trail clubs know the A.T. better than anyone.