PDA

View Full Version : Planning an Autumn hike...

pattydivins
07-20-2010, 23:50
My ideal plan would be hiking somewhere (on the east coast) while the leaves are in their peak of changing colors. I would like to be hiking anywhere from 2-3 weeks.

I feel like hiking the Long Trail in VT would be awesome during this time. Does anyone have any experience hiking for an extended period of time here during this season? What would the temperatures be like? Will water be easy to find? Most importantly, when would the leaves be changing colors?

Also, I wouldn't mind making the trip to a southern portion of the AT as well. Hiking in VA seems like it would be nice during this time. When do the leaves start to change down here? What would the temperatures be like? (I imagine not too far off from up north).

Any ideas or helpful advice would be great for a trip during this time of the year.

Thanks

Anumber1
07-21-2010, 00:24
What ever you do... Do not visit New Hampshire

Kerosene
07-21-2010, 08:14
Much of my section hiking is in the Fall, as I really enjoy the colors, the lack of bugs, the lack of people (at least during the week), and the briskness of a sunny morning. Of course, you have to be prepared for wide temperature swings (sub-freezing to 70+), you have to time it just right to catch the colors, and it can be quite difficult to find water after a dry summer.

The timing of peak color varies each year, but if you hiked NOBO from Massachusetts starting after Labor Day through the end of September then you should catch some nice colors up north. The problem with starting later is that you might also catch some early snow, and once the leaves start to fall then the trail surface can be hidden, get slippery, and walking can be incredibly noisy through a foot of dry leaves.

So, carry warm gear for camp, be prepared to hike in warmish and downright cold temps, be prepared to carry 3+ liters of water between sources, and bring a camera!

Yukon
07-21-2010, 08:18
I feel like hiking the Long Trail in VT would be awesome during this time.

And you couldn't be more right! :)

jen.sprout
07-21-2010, 19:08
The colors will be far better and more vibrant in New England than in VA (I've lived in both places). I did 2/3 of the LT in September in '06 - which was a year they had an incredibly wet summer so it was a mud fest. Water was good that year, obviously. Did have some frost nights, but no snow.

Hitting peak colors anywhere is always a trick - peak will likely be sometime around mid-September to early October in southern NE and more like mid October in So VA.

All depends on the weather - many years here in So. VA we get something dull for colors because the water/weather combination doesn't work out.

One other note - we've had a hot summer here so far, so September may still be sticky in So VA, but getting better toward leaf pepper season.

Regardless, Septebmer/Oct is an awesome time to hike - enjoy!

pattydivins
07-21-2010, 21:28
It seems like this summer has been relatively dry where I am from (Philadelphia area). Has it been raining a lot in the VT area? I do not like hiking in mud too much so I would like to avoid VT if people think that it is going to be muddy around this time of year.