PDA

View Full Version : Giving Up on the Thru Hike

abbyflutterby
07-21-2010, 11:08
Alright - curious noob here, planning on hiking next year.
I'm interested in responses to the following.
Thru-hikers - describe a situation where you contemplating giving up on the hike, and going "back"...
or those that didn't finish but originally planned to - what made you quit?

(Even if you quit, props to getting out there in the first place. ;))

Lone Wolf
07-21-2010, 11:10
boredom and monotony

Bags4266
07-21-2010, 11:19
I was only out for a month (section hiker), and I have to agree with the Wolf on monotony, everyday is like the movie "Ground Hog Day" wake up, eat, pack, hike, sleep day in and day out. Also I started feeling guilty about my responsiblities at home. (wife cutting the lawn running errands that I should be doing) Starts to play on your head a little. I think 2-3 week clips are perfect for me. But of course its just an opinion.

abbyflutterby
07-21-2010, 11:23
I'm a bit worried about the monotony kicking in. I'm doing the hike to get away from cars and buildings and the like and be alone with my thoughts (for the most part). I really believe my brain could use the time (and my body could use the nature) but that doesn't mean you folk didn't think that, too...

Nean
07-21-2010, 11:26
boredom and monotony

I've never understood this.:confused:
My worst day on the trail is better than a good day in the rat race. ;)
Civilization is the same old same old.:(

My reasons for getting off before the trail ends are weather (snow) and girls.:eek:

I think most people quit because they can't handle getting into trail shape (too hard), start to fast and burn themselves out (no fun) or run out of money.:-?

Manwich
07-21-2010, 11:33
When I'm not enjoying myself.

abbyflutterby
07-21-2010, 11:34
I've never understood this.:confused:
My worst day on the trail is better than a good day in the rat race. ;)
Civilization is the same old same old.:(

My reasons for getting off before the trail ends are weather (snow) and girls.:eek:

I think most people quit because they can't handle getting into trail shape (too hard), start to fast and burn themselves out (no fun) or run out of money.:-?

Girls? Do elaborate.

Bags4266
07-21-2010, 11:42
I would imagine age has alot to do with mindset. When I was 17-24 I was a free spirit with no responsibilties. But now or when you get older the responsibilties mount and your obligated to more things (wether you want to be or not)

Manwich
07-21-2010, 11:42
Girls? Do elaborate.

abbyflutterby

not everybody blooms on time. one day you'll catch on.

Nean
07-21-2010, 11:43
Girls? Do elaborate.

Well.... they get off the trail and I follow them. :D

abbyflutterby
07-21-2010, 12:50
not everybody blooms on time. one day you'll catch on.

Har har har.

Very clever. Went over my head at 2 AM,
and sleepily interpreted it as the presence of females
annoying the hiker until he abandoned the trail?

Things happen when one is tired.

fiddlehead
07-21-2010, 12:57
Completed 6
Quit early on 2.

Reasons:
Ran out of money in '77 (before credit cards)
Father died in 2002

Nean
07-21-2010, 13:03
I would imagine age has alot to do with mindset. When I was 17-24 I was a free spirit with no responsibilties. But now or when you get older the responsibilties mount and your obligated to more things (wether you want to be or not)

I must of missed that memo.:confused: Damn it! :mad:

Know where I can find some of those responsibilities thingys:o

Mindset has a lot to do with age.;)

Nean
07-21-2010, 13:10
Har har har.

Very clever. Went over my head at 2 AM,
and sleepily interpreted it as the presence of females
annoying the hiker until he abandoned the trail?

Things happen when one is tired.

Trolls happen on WB.:eek:

You are right Ab, girls chasing me down the trail is a big problem that I (sigh) -have learned to live with.;)

abbyflutterby
07-21-2010, 13:12
Trolls happen on WB.:eek:

You are right Ab, girls chasing me down the trail is a big problem that I (sigh) -have learned to live with.;)
Have faith, new hiker friend. Don't let some dumb girl keep you from getting out there and hiking your own hike! I know female hikers can be intimidating... they're so powerful and determined, but chin up, lad, maybe one day you too can join the ranks of hikers like us. ;)

Lone Wolf
07-21-2010, 13:16
chin up, lad, maybe one day you too can join the ranks of hikers like us. ;)

yeah. he's only done the triple crown 3 times so he ain't much of a hiker

Nean
07-21-2010, 13:20
Have faith, new hiker friend. Don't let some dumb girl keep you from getting out there and hiking your own hike! I know female hikers can be intimidating... they're so powerful and determined, but chin up, lad, maybe one day you too can join the ranks of hikers like us. ;)

Thank you Abby, that is my dream.:)

Kirby
07-21-2010, 13:23
I reached my low point in Maine, 240 miles south of Katahdin. I was just increasingly miserable and fatigued.

But I finished.

emerald
07-21-2010, 13:26
Either way you travel, you still need to deal with the middle states. Through hikers whine about rocks, but what's really getting at them is the heat and their approach to dealing with it.

Nean
07-21-2010, 13:29
yeah. he's only done .... so he ain't much of a hiker

Dangit LW, I was about to ask her if she would mentor me.:D

abbyflutterby
07-21-2010, 13:54
Dangit LW, I was about to ask her if she would mentor me.:D

A qualified mentor who has bravely hiked the Appalachian Trail from start to finish a whopping total of zero times!

(for now)

emerald
07-21-2010, 14:01
You seem to speak from experience. I believe you could talk the walk with the best of them.

garlic08
07-21-2010, 14:04
For me, most of it is mental. There are times you question your commitment (and sanity) in any tough undertaking. I know that the minute I stop seeing myself reaching my goal, in anything, I might as well turn around right then. That's happened to me on climbing trips, where I slog on past the point I started doubting the summit, and it's just a waste of time.

On my AT thru and other long hikes, not finishing was simply never an option, and it never even crossed my mind. The successful hikers I've met have that same mindset.

superman
07-21-2010, 14:40
I got it done in 2000 but this year came home after only 650 miles via the BMT. I didn't set out to do a pure thru hike this year anyway. The problem I encountered was that my hiking shoes didn't fit right. I wear 11 4E shoes and I kept thinking that I'd find some along the way...but I didn't. I'm sick to death of saleman that say "here try these on...they're cut wide." My left foot is closer to 6E while my right one is 4E...cut wider just does nothing. I'm a diabetic and my doc doesn't want me to hike in sandals... but what does he know. When the temprature gets cooler I'll go back out and hike some more. I like to hike on only the flat parts in the nice weather.:)

Nean
07-21-2010, 14:44
For me, most of it is mental. There are times you question your commitment (and sanity) in any tough undertaking. I know that the minute I stop seeing myself reaching my goal, in anything, I might as well turn around right then. That's happened to me on climbing trips, where I slog on past the point I started doubting the summit, and it's just a waste of time.

On my AT thru and other long hikes, not finishing was simply never an option, and it never even crossed my mind. The successful hikers I've met have that same mindset.

I agree on the first part about mind over matter, more head than heel and all that good stuff.

As for not finishing not being an option, I'm not so sure.:confused: Depends on what you value as sucsess. :-? Isn't that making the destination more valuable than the journey?:eek:

When I start a trail my goal isn't the finish line- its to enjoy each day.;) I've never had a bad day on the trail (a couple of hours maybe once or twice) and I think thats because I leave the rat race mentality at the trailhead. Maybe I just don't have what it takes to be a susessful hiker.:(

theycallmej
07-21-2010, 15:25
A reason I nearly quit hiking a trail came to be that I was simply feeling like I was abandoning my friends and family back home by being away for a long duration of time. I started hiking and felt better though. I remembered that I'd be more upset for NOT doing it than for doing it.

Nean
07-21-2010, 15:30
A reason I nearly quit hiking a trail came to be that I was simply feeling like I was abandoning my friends and family back home by being away for a long duration of time. I started hiking and felt better though. I remembered that I'd be more upset for NOT doing it than for doing it.

I think thats called being homesick, a side effect of culture shock.;)

sbhikes
07-21-2010, 16:49
I quit my first long section hike twice (goal was 1700 miles). I quit it at 800 miles because I hated hiking in the High Sierras. It was too extreme for what I wanted to experience. I went home for a few days and returned. Then I quit again 250 miles from my goal. My feet were shot. I bought bad shoes. I really could not go on.

I wanted to quit my second long section hike almost every day (goal was 1800 miles - to the end of the trail.) Reasons (in this order as I progressed):
- Mosquitoes
- Rain
- Homesickness
- Monotony
- Tired of being afraid of scary things looming ahead on the trail

Yeah, monotony. All you do is hike all day every day. I started thinking about playing my fiddle at the jam, other hobbies, even work!

Yeah, scary things looming ahead. Scary creeks I could die in, mostly.

But I did not give up. I didn't want to have the feeling of another unfinished hike.

DapperD
07-21-2010, 17:46
I would imagine age has alot to do with mindset. When I was 17-24 I was a free spirit with no responsibilties. But now or when you get older the responsibilties mount and your obligated to more things (wether you want to be or not)I would agree with this. It's like the adage, "Life is what happens when you are making other plans." As much as us older guys want to just go do what it is we want, there are just too many obligations, family and otherwise, holding us back. I would also add that I think deep down we know that alot of those responsibilities will wind up left undone if we were to just "take off".:D

Praha4
07-21-2010, 18:00
This year I made it from Springer to Damascus in 2 sections:

section 1: springer to Erwin, TN (24 days)
section 2: Erwin, TN to Damascus, VA (7 days)

I went home after getting to Damascus, with intentions to finish the entire AT in the future, doing long sections, probably no more than 4-6 weeks at a time.

stopped becuz of monotony on the trail, the long green tunnel was looking the same every day, the PUDs were getting monotonous, I missed my wife at home, and decided to come back up when the dam summer heat/humidity was not so bad.

however, it was an incredible experience, and I met a lot of great people on the trail, made some new friendships... that being said...

... in the 31 days I was on the A.T. this spring, I wish I had $10 for everyone I met on the trail or in trail towns who told me they had already done an AT thru-hike. I could be on Forbes "Richest People" list. Frankly it got a little tiring listening to the stories about how when they did it, it was colder, wetter, harder, and this year was supposedly a cakewalk. I told one poor chap who was feeling down after a tough day hiking...not to get down on himself, at least he was out on the AT hiking. While most Americans these days are content to sit on the couch watching TV eating donuts or pizza. I commend anyone who will strap on the geat and try to hike those mountains. Everyone out on the trail is a winner in my mind, whether they finish a thru hike or not. But anyone who finishes a thru hike in one year is an incredible accomplishment, congrats to them.

planning to hike the Long trail in Aug-Sept. I'll keep my ears open and mouth shut, and just tell myself "I'm not worthy", over and over.

BarFight
07-21-2010, 18:13
For me the heat coming on in Virginia in June was a huge part of nearly quitting. I was miserable and could think of a million cooler things I could be doing at home. I eventually adjusted, but it sucked for a while.

Nean
07-21-2010, 18:25
People hike for different reasons. For some it is the accomplishment that matters most and I will admit it is a good feeling.:)

For me its about being out there and the longer the better. I'm fond of saying the first few months I'm in nature, after that I'm part of it. Travelling is my passion and hiking affords me that life. At 2-3 mph I see more around and inside me. Everyday is something new and you never know who or what is around that next bend or over that next hill. I love being outdoors. I love the challenges that nature provides and the feeling of overcoming them. I love the freedom. I love the endorphins. I love being in great shape. I love meeting new friends and seeing old ones.

Since I'm not rich I have to work sometimes. I've never had a job that offers all these things I love. I've found working for short stretches isn't so bad knowing I'll soon be free again to roam the real world and leave the man made one ( I know- its real too :rolleyes:) behind.

Damn, I've made myself want to go hike!:D

10-K
07-21-2010, 18:55
I like to hike as much as anybody - probably even Nean... :)

That doesn't mean I want to hike for months at a time - I absolutely do not. If you ask me, section hiking is where it's at.

But, I have to say that if I were to attempt a thru hike - I would not quit for love nor money once I started because that's just the way I am.

We moved to Erwin, TN 3 days ago and live about 2 miles from the AT. Today I hiked the 11 mile section between Spivey's Gap and Uncle Johnny's and had a great time. I don't need to be gone for months to enjoy the trail.

Dogwood
07-21-2010, 22:04
Thru-hikers - describe a situation where you contemplating giving up on the hike, and going "back"...

Don't let yourself contemplate(meditate on, entertain thoughts of) quitting and it will be that much harder to quit. Give thoughts to quitting and it is usually just a matter of time before your reason(s) for quitting turn into a reality. I rarely have thoughts of quitting anymore. And, when I do I quickly catch it by changing my thoughts to how fortunate, blessed, healthy, spontaneous, adventurous, privledged, mind expanding, etc my hiking is!

I also stay interested(not bored) with my thru-hiking treks by not just thinking about the hiking aspects of my treks all the time. I enjoy local culture, food, museums, architecture, history, horticulture, meeting new people(hitchiking in all 14 of the AT states will provide plenty of opportrunities) etc. Sometimes I carry a small native wildflowers/trees handbook or literature on wildlife(birds, etc)

chiefduffy
07-21-2010, 22:14
, I would also add that I think deep down we know that alot of those responsibilities will wind up left undone if we were to just "take off".:D

I left the trail and went home for a wedding, and found this to be true. Ended up getting a job. Now I do sections whenever I can get off work. Maybe I'll try to thru again the next time I retire....

turtle fast
07-22-2010, 01:19
I ran into hikers that quit due to:
-Boredom
- Lack of $
- Hiking too many miles at first and burning out..taking no breaks.
- Injury or illness
- Death in family

Anumber1
07-22-2010, 02:40
I would first like to say; what a great thread we have going here. This is a topic that actually matters, not the usual 'my tarp is better than your tarp' shenanigans that go on and on here on white blaze.

But I digress. Yes I am a quitter. In 2009 I hiked from Amicalola to Hampton TN, ended up hitching into Damascus where I made the one of the most unpleasant decisions of my life. I had to trade in my Thru-hiker Companion for a Rand McNally road atlas and hitch hike my way back home.

For me there was not one day where I mentally wanted to give up. Even if it was raining for a week and I was out of food or whatever if I thought for a second about quitting I would just burst out laughing because hiking the AT has always been a dream of mine.

Unfortunately dreams dont always come true. For me, I banged my foot between Hot Springs and Erwin and after continuing hiking through the pain I ended up with a morton's neuroma which made my foot swell so much I could barely fit it in my boot. I stayed for 10 days at Uncle Johnny's then set out again doing barely 10 miles a day. This was a bummer. By the time I got to Bob Peoples' house I knew my foot wasn't getting any better and I had made some serious financial miscalculations on my trail fund.

The worst day you'll ever have on the trail is the day you have to admit to yourself that you are unable to complete your goal. I made it home safely hitch hiking and later that year did a small section through NH but when August/September came around and I read the trail journals and saw the photo-bucket accounts of people I hiked with finishing their journey on Katahdin it really sank in.

Bronk
07-22-2010, 05:41
I made it to Waynesboro, VA, which is over 800 miles. Going back through my journal, I think I started considering the fact that I might not make it the whole way around Erwin, TN.

By the time I left Damascus I think I was almost ready to leave the trail. I remember not wanting to leave Damascus but not having any reason to stay another day. And really, if you make it that far, you've gone 450 miles...you've proven that you can physically do it...its just a matter of time and will.

A big part of it was that it was difficult getting enough calories. I lost over 50 pounds. Towards the end I think I got a better handle on it, but I was 6ft and weighed about 165 pounds.

Another aspect of it is that I enjoy camping more than I do hiking. So if I hiked 2 miles and found an awesome camping spot, I'd stop for the day...so it took me 4 months to make it to Waynesboro. At the rate I was going I was never going to make it the whole way by October 15th. And try as I might, I couldn't pick up the pace...I could do 20 mile days, I just didn't want to. I figured this was my vacation and I wasn't going to turn it into something that wasn't fun. I'd quit when it wasn't fun anymore. I sort of came to this realization as I was coming out of Erwin...it took me 4 days to make it to the first shelter after Erwin. I'd do that sort of thing pretty often...get into town, get resupply and then spend the next 2 or 3 days goofing off on the trail hardly making any miles...I'd pick up the pace when I started running out of food...but I often carried 10 days of food.

So why did I quit? It wasn't fun anymore. I wanted to be able to eat real food every day. And mostly I didn't feel like I had anything to prove to myself or anyone else. I had gone over 800 miles...I could go the rest of the way if I wanted to...I just didn't want to.

sbhikes
07-22-2010, 10:26
I wish I had $10 for everyone I met on the trail or in trail towns who told me they had already done an AT thru-hike. I could be on Forbes "Richest People" list.

Me, too, but for everybody I met on the PCT who had already done an AT hike and compared the PCT to it all the time.

A lot more people hike the AT so I'm sure a lot more people in numbers quit AT thru hikes. But I met many former AT thru-hikers who quit the PCT because it wasn't like their AT experience. They didn't like the Southern California extremes of long waterless hiking, wind, heat and extreme cold and sometimes snow. They didn't like having to carry so much water and food or a bear canister. It wasn't as social after Southern California. It wasn't even as social during Southern California. I met people who complained there were no "challenges" and then they started making up really stupid challenges that could result in death and caused all this flurry of stern warnings from the "moms" on the pct email discussion list.

Many AT hikers I met loved the PCT, loved the West and were totally energized. Those were the ones who went really far, maybe even made it. I never found out who I met made it and who didn't. Not everybody keeps a journal.

Funny thing is, even though I barely managed to complete my two big section hikes, I think about the PCT every day, I dream about it at night. I want to go back. I'm going back for a few days next week and for a week next month. Yay!

gravityman
07-22-2010, 10:51
2001 - Quit at Harper's Ferry (1000 miles) because of injury and sickness for my wife (girlfriend at the time). It was very tough for us, and there were many mistakes we made that ended with my wife injured and sick (mainly no willing to adjust quickly enough because of the 'hiking should be hard and should hurt' mind set. Also trying to conserve money and not spending it when we needed to rest or get new shoes or see the doctor). It was super hard for both of us to get off.

For the next four years we plotted our return, and we did return in 2005 and completed the whole hike. It was a lot of fun up until NJ, then it started to get a bit tedious. Not that we were bored, but just that we got sick of the same old food and heat and humidity. But we were committed to complete the trail because we knew this was our last chance. We still had some great times north of NJ, but the shine had worn off.

I will also say that in 2001 it was totally magical and amazing for both of us. Somehow, in 2005 it was 'normal.' Fun but not so magical. That made the experience very different in 2005 vs 2001.

Gravity (and Danger)

Knocky
07-22-2010, 14:00
while I have hiked a pretty fair bit of the AT, I have never had the slightest desire to do a thru hike.

Never had the time, and now that I do, I don't have the desire.

Lone Wolf
07-22-2010, 14:13
while I have hiked a pretty fair bit of the AT, I have never had the slightest desire to do a thru hike.

Never had the time, and now that I do, I don't have the desire.

a thru-hike is all about the destination and not the journey

Gray Blazer
07-22-2010, 14:23

If that's true then why not drive or take a plane?

emerald
07-22-2010, 14:28
Because many of the most interesting things are better observed within arm's length than from miles away.

Someone you and I both met put it well and I will find her post. Try these suggestions (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=923729&postcount=38) from a recent couple who went the distance to see what worked for them.

Nean
07-22-2010, 14:29
2001 - Quit at Harper's Ferry (1000 miles) because of injury and sickness for my wife (girlfriend at the time). It was very tough for us, and there were many mistakes we made that ended with my wife injured and sick (mainly no willing to adjust quickly enough because of the 'hiking should be hard and should hurt' mind set. Also trying to conserve money and not spending it when we needed to rest or get new shoes or see the doctor). It was super hard for both of us to get off.

For the next four years we plotted our return, and we did return in 2005 and completed the whole hike. It was a lot of fun up until NJ, then it started to get a bit tedious. Not that we were bored, but just that we got sick of the same old food and heat and humidity. But we were committed to complete the trail because we knew this was our last chance. We still had some great times north of NJ, but the shine had worn off.

I will also say that in 2001 it was totally magical and amazing for both of us. Somehow, in 2005 it was 'normal.' Fun but not so magical. That made the experience very different in 2005 vs 2001.

Gravity (and Danger)

I call this the honeymoon effect and the relationship we have with the trail is not so different than with a person. After the magic and shine of the honeymoon period fades, you may realize a few things:

I really and truely love this person/trail;
I only like you, or said another way, I love you but I'm not in love with you;
I'm no longer as interested- that was just lust;
indifferent;
your not for me;
I hate you.

I fell in love- awwww- and we are still together- happy as ever.:D

10-K
07-22-2010, 19:10
I call this the honeymoon effect and the relationship we have with the trail is not so different than with a person. After the magic and shine of the honeymoon period fades, you may realize a few things:

I really and truely love this person/trail;
I only like you, or said another way, I love you but I'm not in love with you;
I'm no longer as interested- that was just lust;
indifferent;
your not for me;
I hate you.

I fell in love- awwww- and we are still together- happy as ever.:D

Nean, you seem to think that someone has a problem or aren't doing something right if they don't want to hike for months at a time - why is that?

I hiked the entire AT in 2.5 years so I'm not exactly a beginner - I know what I like and what I don't and I'm proud to be a section hiker.

:)

whitelightning
07-22-2010, 23:36
the first day of my thruhike, while hiking up the approach trail, I met a hiker who gave me this advice: If you get to point where you've decided you really want to quit, keep going for at least 3 days and then evaluate how you feel. If you still feel like quitting, maybe you should.

I certainly had some bad days on the trail, but I cannot even count them on one hand. I find life off the trail more painfully monotonous than life on it. When trail life was bad or uncomfortable due to weather, bugs, hiker drama, etc. it didn't usually stay that way for more than a few days.

The only time(s) I considered quitting was due to injury. Even then, I was really just considering taking time off to heal. I had a bad sprained ankle in PA and after waiting a few days, kept hiking shorter days for a while and then discovered the power of ibuprofen (vitamin I). I took it several times a day just so I could hike. By the time I was in NY/NJ I discovered blood in my urine and was a little freaked out. I thought I might have to leave the trail. I stopped taking vitamin I and paid more attention to how my body felt. When I was tired, I slept. When I was hungry for something other than what I had in my food bag, I made it a goal to get to the next place that had good food.

Most of the people I knew who quit were injured, had issues at home to deal with (one hiker I met had his house damaged by a tornado), or ran out of money.

Nean
07-22-2010, 23:49
Nean, you seem to think that someone has a problem or aren't doing something right if they don't want to hike for months at a time - why is that?

I hiked the entire AT in 2.5 years so I'm not exactly a beginner - I know what I like and what I don't and I'm proud to be a section hiker.

:)

That is something to be proud of as far as I'm concerned as I too have done trails 4x in sections.;)
Its well worth knowing your limits.:)

Not everyone can do a thru hike.:-?

I do get uneasy when I hear the trail get blamed for being the problem. :o

Maybe it has something to do with meeting 100s of hikers over the years who blow out of the gate- stop having fun faster than they can walk- and go home. And its not that they approached their goal in a manner that didn't allow them to achieve it, its the trails fault that it wasn't any fun.:confused:

Maybe its because I have too much fun that I can't relate? :eek:

So I apologize again if this classic example of making an excuse feels pointed at you 10-K :) Its just my opinion, based on what I've seen.

Nean
07-22-2010, 23:56
the first day of my thruhike, while hiking up the approach trail, I met a hiker who gave me this advice: If you get to point where you've decided you really want to quit, keep going for at least 3 days and then evaluate how you feel. If you still feel like quitting, maybe you should.

I certainly had some bad days on the trail, but I cannot even count them on one hand. I find life off the trail more painfully monotonous than life on it. When trail life was bad or uncomfortable due to weather, bugs, hiker drama, etc. it didn't usually stay that way for more than a few days.

The only time(s) I considered quitting was due to injury. Even then, I was really just considering taking time off to heal. I had a bad sprained ankle in PA and after waiting a few days, kept hiking shorter days for a while and then discovered the power of ibuprofen (vitamin I). I took it several times a day just so I could hike. By the time I was in NY/NJ I discovered blood in my urine and was a little freaked out. I thought I might have to leave the trail. I stopped taking vitamin I and paid more attention to how my body felt. When I was tired, I slept. When I was hungry for something other than what I had in my food bag, I made it a goal to get to the next place that had good food.

Most of the people I knew who quit were injured, had issues at home to deal with (one hiker I met had his house damaged by a tornado), or ran out of money.

I enjoyed this post.:)

Nean
07-23-2010, 00:17
One last thought, I hope its clear.:o

Even after the trail lost the shine from my youth and the excitement of the first time it has become more like an old trusted friend and place I consider home.

I just have to get back out there soon before I go insane!:eek:

I thought gravitymans post was honest and well said.

Kelleelynn
07-23-2010, 01:05

I am bringing the only responsibility that matters with me!

Tin Man
07-23-2010, 02:37

When I came to realize this after a few sections and listening to thru-hikers here and on the trail, I stopped dreaming of a thru-hike and now enjoy my section hiking all the more.

Not everyone can be like Nean and I applaud his approach to the trail and to life. It's just not for me.

Nean
07-23-2010, 03:54

...and since we all end up at the same destination- its a shame us humans are slow to realize its the journey that is infinite :)

Nean
07-23-2010, 03:58
When I came to realize this after a few sections and listening to thru-hikers here and on the trail, I stopped dreaming of a thru-hike and now enjoy my section hiking all the more.

Not everyone can be like Nean and I applaud his approach to the trail and to life. It's just not for me.

Thanks Tin Man. I respect that you are honest/ true to yourself.:)

GeneralLee10
07-23-2010, 07:15

1835 miles this year, 1st Family. If I were to do it again, the PCT would be the 1st longtrail choice. Why?, the views, the trail is more rewarding. Not that I have hiked on the PCT, this is what I've been told.

Lion King
07-23-2010, 08:18
Cant stand the heat, get out of the mid-Atlantic states.

I warned some hikers this year when I was south bounding through some of PA and VA to trail days that the perfect dry weather they were having with nice clear days and cool temps would be a major problem for them in PA/NY/NJ and it is.

Now it is really hot, and has been, there is no water and the bugs from such a wet winter are at an all time high.
The heat/humidity and bugs and rocks and high prices all can cause a hiker to flip the hell in these states.

I say this, and screw anyone who gives you a hard time for the choice, if you hate the hike, if you are miserable and want to go home and are seriously planning on it, hitch or bus to CT or Mass and things will better. Sure it wont be a thru-hike, but who cares?

Its your journey, your life experience, your feet, your soul, your happiness, your time. And don’t worry if you decide to quit or move on if some uppity nosey POS give you a tough time because you skipped the three states to save time, heat, money, whatever.

And I only say do this if you are at the bus/train station ready to go. If you’re not going to do a ‘true thru’ then at least enjoy New England instead of spending more time batching and moaning in places you hate.

HeartWalker
07-23-2010, 08:42
I started in March this year and made it almost to Erwin when I fell and broke my ankle. I have been at home recovering and rehabbing hard but I am slowly realizing I can't finish this year. I still have considerable pain after about 3 or 4 miles. It really pains me to not finish this year but I guess at 58 the bones don't heal as fast as when I was 20 something. I hope to try again next year but I may just start where I fell and move on from there.

Nean
07-23-2010, 12:58
1835 miles this year, 1st Family. If I were to do it again, the PCT would be the 1st longtrail choice. Why?, the views, the trail is more rewarding. Not that I have hiked on the PCT, this is what I've been told.

Interesting thought but I will have to disagree. :eek:

PCT views are nice and there may be more of them (the trail is 500m longer) but "more rewarding" dosen't sound right to me.:-?

Does every guy who has a gal prettier than yours have a more rewarding life?:confused:

Beauty is only skin deep and so are views. The real rewards of the trail come from within and you can find them equally on either trail.;)

For what it's worth, I've done a little walkin (about the same) on both of them.:)

DapperD
07-23-2010, 14:53
Cant stand the heat, get out of the mid-Atlantic states.

I warned some hikers this year when I was south bounding through some of PA and VA to trail days that the perfect dry weather they were having with nice clear days and cool temps would be a major problem for them in PA/NY/NJ and it is.

Now it is really hot, and has been, there is no water and the bugs from such a wet winter are at an all time high.
The heat/humidity and bugs and rocks and high prices all can cause a hiker to flip the hell in these states.

I say this, and screw anyone who gives you a hard time for the choice, if you hate the hike, if you are miserable and want to go home and are seriously planning on it, hitch or bus to CT or Mass and things will better. Sure it wont be a thru-hike, but who cares?

Its your journey, your life experience, your feet, your soul, your happiness, your time. And don’t worry if you decide to quit or move on if some uppity nosey POS give you a tough time because you skipped the three states to save time, heat, money, whatever.

And I only say do this if you are at the bus/train station ready to go. If you’re not going to do a ‘true thru’ then at least enjoy New England instead of spending more time batching and moaning in places you hate.Great suggestions and post Lion King!