PDA

View Full Version : The Lifesaver waterbottle

AHolcomb
07-21-2010, 17:57
http://www.lifesaversystems.com/4000UF.html seems a bit pricey. Though what is the cost of getting sick? Any thoughts?

scope
07-21-2010, 18:01
http://www.lifesaversystems.com/4000UF.html seems a bit pricey. Though what is the cost of getting sick? Any thoughts?

This seems a bit extreme, especially for the AT or most any other trail in the US. There plenty of other options that are both lighter, less expensive, and likely work better than this compact bottle method. Now, if you're in an extreme location with extreme limitations for gear, etc, then perhaps it could be worthwhile. I frankly don't know where that would be. Africa?

couscous
07-21-2010, 18:22
My youngest son liked using a Katadyn Exstream XR Water Purifier Bottle (http://www.campsaver.com/itemmatrix.asp?GroupCode=kat0018&MatrixType=1) last week on the trail. Just dip & sip. That would save you a Benjamin.

Danielsen
07-21-2010, 20:28
This seems a bit extreme, especially for the AT or most any other trail in the US. There plenty of other options that are both lighter, less expensive, and likely work better than this compact bottle method. Now, if you're in an extreme location with extreme limitations for gear, etc, then perhaps it could be worthwhile. I frankly don't know where that would be. Africa?

In Africa they've learned to just lay transparent bottles of clear water out in the sun on a reflective surface for a few hours. The UV rays kill all the nasties, same way a steripen works. Who'da thunk a few buckets (for the water to sit in while sediments settle out) and old glass bottles would do more for a thirsty village than all those fancy pumps and purifiers they keep trying to invent?

chris948
07-21-2010, 23:34
In Africa they've learned to just lay transparent bottles of clear water out in the sun on a reflective surface for a few hours. The UV rays kill all the nasties, same way a steripen works. Who'da thunk a few buckets (for the water to sit in while sediments settle out) and old glass bottles would do more for a thirsty village than all those fancy pumps and purifiers they keep trying to invent?

you still need to filter it first to get that sediment somewhere else. It does no good settling and harboring bacteria in the bottom of the glass.

Pretty sure the biggest problem is finding clean enough water to even start this process within walking distance. Don't think I'd want to try it in puddles.

Danielsen
07-22-2010, 08:49
I think you misinterpreted what I meant. You put the dirty water in the big buckets and let it sit. The sediment settles out, leaving a layer of clear water on the top and a layer of sediment on the bottom. You scoop out the clear water into the bottles; no sediment involved. Once you've scooped out the clean water you clean out the sediment from the bottom of the buckets and add some more water to settle.

Then you stick the bottles of clear water in the sun. Like a Steripen for the whole village.

If you're really particular you can filter through a few layers of fabric or something.

Basically, any water that doesn't contain chemical toxins can be made safe through this method. Too time-consuming to be practical for hikers, but great for villages without available clean water.

Ogre
07-22-2010, 12:59
The World’s first and still the only water bottle to all bacteria, viruses, cysts, parasites, fungi and all other microbiological waterborne pathogens without the aid of any foul tasting chemicals like iodine or chlorine.

There's a missing verb in that sentence, the very first one on the site. "The only water bottle to <VERB> all bacteria, viruses, ..."

Incubate?
Breed?
Feed?
Sleep with?
Preserve?
Celebrate?
Excommunicate?
Imprison?

So many possibilities! That bottle could do anything!

Manwich
07-22-2010, 13:24
Is there something wrong with the water that I don't know about? Most of it tastes great.

sbhikes
07-22-2010, 14:11
Letting the sun do it sounds a lot like using a solar oven. I wish you could use a solar oven and solar water purifyingfor backpacking, but unfortunately, you rarely just sit in one place all day. Well, I don't.

JAK
07-22-2010, 16:37
Is there something wrong with the water that I don't know about? Most of it tastes great.

Could be flourinated, even in the woods. Damn commies. Can't trust them.