PDA

View Full Version : Canned sandwiches

Mrs Baggins
07-22-2010, 04:25
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/38268129/ns/today-foodwine/?gt1=43001

Would you eat one? :-?

Bronk
07-22-2010, 05:04
Not a new product, just a different package. Good idea though...when you think about it, its pretty surprising nobody has done this before...there are probably hundreds or even thousands of products that could be sold from vending machines this way, and not just food. Think of a tshirt in a can sold from a soda type machine in every tourist trap...the possibilities are endless.

sbhikes
07-22-2010, 17:05
I love that canned brown bread. It's a short step from brown bread in a can to brown bread with filling in a can.

sherrill
07-22-2010, 17:29
Just remember, what goes in, comes out. :eek:

The Old Fhart
07-22-2010, 18:06
MRE (FSR) sandwiches are available from HERE (http://www.theepicenter.com/mre_military_meal_ready_to_eat.html) for $2.89 each. They are similar to a "Hot Pocket" sandwich but require no refrigeration and they don't have the can of the Canwich. I've tried the BBB beef and Italian ones and they aren't that bad. Obviously for any of these to be "shelf-stable" for 2 years there has to be compromises like lower water content but all in all I like them. After a few days in the woods they would seem quite tasty!:D

vamelungeon
07-22-2010, 18:24
I'd love to try them. Why not? I have to watch my sodium intake, and most "shelf stable" products are high in sodium. If these aren't I'd use them.

gunner76
07-22-2010, 20:24
Think of a tshirt in a can sold from a soda type machine in every tourist trap

I believe it was pepsi back in the mid/late 80's that had a special going on at a military base I was stationed at where they (pepsi) had vending machines ramdonly loaded with a special t shirt in a soda can that you could win. The can also had money so the t shirt winner could still buy a soda.

Luddite
07-22-2010, 20:34
Maybe I'd eat one if I was living in post-apocalyptic America and I haven't eaten anything but Twinkies for a week.

I've eaten way too much PB&J on the trail. The only thing that could make it more inedible is if it were put in a can.

DapperD
07-22-2010, 21:42
I'd love to try them. Why not? I have to watch my sodium intake, and most "shelf stable" products are high in sodium. If these aren't I'd use them.That's the problem with all the processed food. Loaded in fat and sodium. Really this isn't anything amazing. They already had this a long time ago. Called SPAM. Just needed to find yourself some bread was all:D

DapperD
07-22-2010, 22:03
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/38268129/ns/today-foodwine/?gt1=43001

Would you eat one? :-?To answer your question, yes I would probably try one, but if they turn out to be anything like canned laughter, I am sure they will grow old quick:D

Kelleelynn
07-23-2010, 00:10
Hmmm I will pass on these!!!

KnittingMelissa
07-30-2010, 02:38
I want to try one, but I'm really picky about jelly. I only like homemade jams and jellies, so I'd probably just make a face.

mdbuckman
08-23-2010, 17:16
Ok - I would try one once for the heck of it (that's how I found out I liked sushi) - but in reality - a meal in a tin can = too much weight in the backwoods.