PDA

View Full Version : Big Agnes Seedhouse 1

RETCW4
07-22-2010, 15:11
I just received my BA Seedhouse 1 yesterday and it was worth the 3 month wait. It went up easy and quick. I like the built in guy lines with adjusters. I will be using it this weekend. This completes my major buys for my 2011 thru hike. My pack weight is below 27 lbs with 4 days of food. Good to go.

Tumbleweed

Mountain Wildman
07-22-2010, 15:14
I just received my BA Seedhouse 1 yesterday and it was worth the 3 month wait. It went up easy and quick. I like the built in guy lines with adjusters. I will be using it this weekend. This completes my major buys for my 2011 thru hike. My pack weight is below 27 lbs with 4 days of food. Good to go.

Tumbleweed

Nothing like shiny new gear!!

Good Luck with it, I plan on mid March 2011 to start my Thru, Maybe we will cross paths.:sun

Donnie
07-22-2010, 18:51
I am a big fan of my Seedhouse SL2. The fact that the poles are all together really makes for a quick and easy setup.

Harrison Bergeron
07-25-2010, 10:48
I had REI set up the Seedhouse next to their Quarterdome and then I probably spent an hour going back and forth before I finally bought the Quarterdome. Man, I wanted that big floor in the Seedhouse!

I just didn't like the 10 required tent stakes and the fact that when I sat up in it, the roof wrapped around my head. Of course, the sides of Quarterdome almost wrap around my bag, so I guess you pick your poison.

The Quarterdome is 9 ounces more, but it has a lot more "creature comforts", like vents you can prop open in the roof, lots of loops inside to can hang your stuff, and a really nice compression stuff sack. It's also got a nice vestabule, but the Seedhouse is so huge, it barely needs one -- you can bring all your gear inside. The Quarterdome also has a really goofy door, but at least you can enter from the side.

Finally, I just decided to save $50 and get the Quarterdome. I'm still not sure I made the right choice but I guess it doesn't matter, they're both great options. Hard to believe you can get this much tent for this little weight.

RETCW4
07-25-2010, 12:49
I had REI set up the Seedhouse next to their Quarterdome and then I probably spent an hour going back and forth before I finally bought the Quarterdome. Man, I wanted that big floor in the Seedhouse!

I just didn't like the 10 required tent stakes and the fact that when I sat up in it, the roof wrapped around my head. Of course, the sides of Quarterdome almost wrap around my bag, so I guess you pick your poison.

The Quarterdome is 9 ounces more, but it has a lot more "creature comforts", like vents you can prop open in the roof, lots of loops inside to can hang your stuff, and a really nice compression stuff sack. It's also got a nice vestabule, but the Seedhouse is so huge, it barely needs one -- you can bring all your gear inside. The Quarterdome also has a really goofy door, but at least you can enter from the side.

Finally, I just decided to save $50 and get the Quarterdome. I'm still not sure I made the right choice but I guess it doesn't matter, they're both great options. Hard to believe you can get this much tent for this little weight.
Actually, I had the same delima unti the REI representative told me that hte top of the center pole wears on the fly. Plus they had the SH 1 on sale at $179. I'll post a review after my next trip in a week or two.

Tumbleweed.

RETCW4
07-25-2010, 12:50
Fat fingers affects spelling.
- Tumbleweed

bigcranky
07-25-2010, 15:42
The BA and the REI are both nice tents.

The Quarterdome is 9 ounces more, but it has a lot more "creature comforts",

That's what, about five Snickers bars? Hmmm.

chiefiepoo
07-25-2010, 22:58
I've had my SL2 for three seasons now. Great shelter. First trip was to Glacier in '08 and it held the 6'4" guide, me, two packs and space for boots inside to keep away from salt seeking critters. I like it as a solo but am thinking about an ultra light for more section hikes. 10 stakes are a lot and the eyebrow could be a little more rain deflecting, but I do like it.

trailangelbronco
07-25-2010, 23:33
I had a quarterdome until I got my Lightheart solo.

Harrison Bergeron
07-26-2010, 21:01
The BA and the REI are both nice tents.

That's what, about five Snickers bars? Hmmm.

Good point, but you can almost make that up with a set of titanium stakes and a silnylon stuff stack. And I guess you could cut off all the doo-dads if you think an extra snicker bar is worth more than a place to hang your socks.

I sold a real nice hammock that weighed a little more than the Quarterdome because I thought I was going to just take an emergency tarp and sleep in the shelters on my AT hike next year. One night in the woods under a poncho tarp cured me of that idea. The skeeters about drained me dry!

I guess I'm not cut out for ultralighting. If I get my gear weight down to 30 by next Spring I'll feel like I've solved cold fusion!

Erin
07-26-2010, 22:31
I just drool over the Big Agnes gear when I go to the store. Out of town of course. My little solo Kelty is a great tent, but wearing out and I am on the bubble what to get next time. I am five one, a female and want light but an easy set up free standing with rainfly three season tent. Suggestions welcome.

DapperD
07-26-2010, 22:56
I just drool over the Big Agnes gear when I go to the store. Out of town of course. My little solo Kelty is a great tent, but wearing out and I am on the bubble what to get next time. I am five one, a female and want light but an easy set up free standing with rainfly three season tent. Suggestions welcome.I know I have read a few trailjournals where people used the BA Seedhouse 1 and were more than happy with it's performance. Another tent that is held in high regard and meets your requirements is the MSR Hubba. If it can be found on sale then it is even better:http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/tents/fast-and-light-tents/hubba/product

Liv2Ride
07-27-2010, 13:22
I just drool over the Big Agnes gear when I go to the store. Out of town of course. My little solo Kelty is a great tent, but wearing out and I am on the bubble what to get next time. I am five one, a female and want light but an easy set up free standing with rainfly three season tent. Suggestions welcome.

When I'm not hanging from a hammock, I'm in my Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1. It's pricey but the space, side entry, completely free standing and under 3lb weight are worth the money spent.
I run into so many people with the REI Quarter Dome T1 and all of them are always very happy with their tent. It's extremenly light even with a footprint, packs down small, side entry, free standing and is very affordable compared to most of the UL tents. Something to look into if price is the biggest concern. You might even be able to find a used one on ebay at a fraction of the cost.

If free standing is not that big of an issue than most, though clearly not all non free standing tents are lighter due to the lack of poles. However, you are limited where you can set-up.

Lots of decisions to make based on your needs and wants. Good luck and I hope you find the right tent....or hammock :D that is just right for you.

Erin
07-27-2010, 21:55
Thank you all for the great suggestions.

DapperD
07-28-2010, 09:40
Here is the BA Seedhouse 1 for the cheapest price I see:http://store.mpgear.com/bigagnesseedhouse1person-freefootprint.aspx

Erin
07-30-2010, 01:12
Oh, my, thanks for the link. What to do?
I figured to take my old but steady and just about had it Kelty clark on my fall trip but this is tempation.....!

kmac
09-02-2010, 20:39
[QUOTE=RETCW4;1033917]I just received my BA Seedhouse 1 yesterday and it was worth the 3 month wait. It went up easy and quick. I like the built in guy lines with adjusters. I will be using it this weekend. This completes my major buys for my 2011 thru hike. My pack weight is below 27 lbs with 4 days of food. Good to go.

Tumbleweed[/QUOTE
curious minds want to know..what are you carrying please be specific...thanks

mad4scrapping
09-09-2010, 14:19
I have both the Seedhouse and the LIghtheart Solo. The LIghtheart is lighter and I just love it. Take a look at it before you decide.

RETCW4
09-10-2010, 20:20
[QUOTE=RETCW4;1033917]I just received my BA Seedhouse 1 yesterday and it was worth the 3 month wait. It went up easy and quick. I like the built in guy lines with adjusters. I will be using it this weekend. This completes my major buys for my 2011 thru hike. My pack weight is below 27 lbs with 4 days of food. Good to go.

Tumbleweed[/QUOTE
curious minds want to know..what are you carrying please be specific...thanks

Here is a down and dirty list. I haven't broken down each item by weight yet. I weighed myself without the pack then with the pack and subtracted the difference.

I went to Philmont with my son 3 yrs ago and had 53 lbs.

Tumbleweed

RETCW4
09-10-2010, 20:23
[QUOTE=kmac;1045838]

Here is a down and dirty list. I haven't broken down each item by weight yet. I weighed myself without the pack then with the pack and subtracted the difference.

I went to Philmont with my son 3 yrs ago and had 53 lbs.

Tumbleweed

KMAC

Sorry forgot to add the list

Osprey Atmos 65
On me

Leki Lightwalk hiking pole
Bandana
REI shirt
REI hiking shorts
Socks (Thorlo Trekkers)
Asolo 95 Boots
Sleeping Bag (Patrol for summe 30º; Intermediate for spring and New England -10º)
Camp Sandals (Crocs)
Trowel
Groundcloth (Clear plastic)
Tent (Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1)
Rainjacket (Frogg Toggs)
2 mesh food bags (1 for dinner, 1 for everything else)
ThermaRest pro Lite (3/4 length, thin)
Camp clothes

Patagonia shirt
REI shorts
Ex Officio briefs

Marmot shirt (long-sleeve)
Pot Bag

GSI Minimalist
Sponge

Stove Bag

MSR PocketRocket
Lighter

Katahdyn Water Pur tablets
Mesh Bag (for dirty socks)
2 pr. socks (Thorlo Trekker)
Fleece Pants (100 Wt. Patagonia Capilene)
Rainpants (Frogg Toggs)
2 Quart Water Bottles (Nalgene wide-mouth, dark)
AT Data Book
Pocket Knife (Swiss Army: 2 blades, can & bottle opener, scissors)
Light My Fire Spork
Snacks (for in-between meals)
Random Bag

Vaseline
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Neosporin
Camp Suds
Tinactin
Lighter (spare)

Random Bag

Duct Tape (approximately 10 yards)
Band-Aids
Mole-Skin
Whistle
Chap-Stick
Old Bootlaces
2 AA Batteries (spare)

3M Ultrathon (repellant and SPF 15)
Water Bag (Platypus3 gal.)
Stuff Sack (Tight-weave nylon for hanging food)
2 bandanas (1 for washing, 1 for cooking)
Headlamp (Black Diamondl)
2 Compression Straps (spare)
8 oz. Fuel Canister
Toilet Paper
Thru-Hiker's Handbook
Journal
Pens
Extra Ziploc Bags
Short Parachute Cord (approx. 15 feet)
Long Parachute Cord (approx. 35 feet)
Driver's License
Credit Card
ATM Card
Student ID
ATC card
Cash
Traveler's Checks

chris948
11-14-2010, 18:58
When I'm not hanging from a hammock, I'm in my Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1. It's pricey but the space, side entry, completely free standing and under 3lb weight are worth the money spent.
I run into so many people with the REI Quarter Dome T1 and all of them are always very happy with their tent. It's extremenly light even with a footprint, packs down small, side entry, free standing and is very affordable compared to most of the UL tents. Something to look into if price is the biggest concern. You might even be able to find a used one on ebay at a fraction of the cost.

BA makes some amazing stuff. I'm really liking my 3 wire, but sometimes I look at the T1 or the UL1 and I'm kind of jealous of the extra space. :-?