PDA

View Full Version : Best trail angel story

becky27
07-23-2010, 01:48
I've heard a lot of great stories about trail angels and their generosity. Here's your opportunity to tell your story. What's the best experience you've had with trail angels?

MedicineMan
07-23-2010, 02:05
This past weekend after an 11 hour slog to do only 12 miles, arriving at a campsite too tired to cook or eat what do we see? Sgt Rock offering up a 1 pound slab of steak! Best magic I've had in many a year. Just like always, its when you least expect it-he and his family already had a fire in the pit so the whole situation just got better. soon thereafter with a belly full of beef I hit the hammock. Thanks Rock and family!!

earlyriser26
07-23-2010, 04:53
After a 12 hour day hike that bothe began and ended in darkness, our pick up failed to show. It was about 40 degrees and raining. We had no overnight gear. Also, we were on a dirt road about 15 miles from the nearest paved road. After waiting almost an hour a car came by and we waved him down. He drove us to his house, gave us food and drink and even offered to drive us 1.5 hours back to our car. He saved us big time.

Kerosene
07-23-2010, 09:03
There have been a number of generous gestures I've encountered over the years, even though as a section hiker I don't tend to hit many of the "big feeds" that are held during peak season. However, the most memorable was one of the simplest...

My girlfriend (eventually wife) and I were hiking from Duncannon to Harpers Ferry in June 1979 after graduating from college. We were just north of the PA/MD border on a hot, humid day and rested by the side of a village street. A woman drove by in her pickup and waved to us, and about 20 minutes later she stopped on her way back to hand us an ice cold can of Pepsi, just because we looked warm. Much appreciated.

rambunny
07-23-2010, 10:24
Bag o' Tricks hauling 1000's of gallons of water to trailheads in Pa.

Bati
07-23-2010, 10:40
There was a lot of magic when I hiked into Neels Gap,which was trying to dig out from a horrible storm. However, the best came from a local hiker who was staying there and took not one, but two trips into town so that all the thru hikers could make it. I was able to make a quick phone call to let my family know I was alive and well (yes, there was a line of locals also waiting to use the phone, as most people had lost phone service.) You can imagine the relief that provided! I also got to visit a grocery store (we had a cookout that night) and stop at McDonalds for added calories.

Other magic included Jeff opening the store just for us thruhikers, a wonderful space heater in the store, a birthday cake baked for us in the gas oven, and enough clean water in the taps (still liquid) to fill our bottles when we left the next day.

BAG "o" TRICKS
07-23-2010, 19:57
Bag o' Tricks hauling 1000's of gallons of water to trailheads in Pa.

Appreciate the compliment Rambunny. I sort of like to fly under the radar, somewhat, leave magic where hikers least expect it. I get a kick out of seeing their faces light up, especially when they get to set in a lounge chair and enjoy a cold drink on one of those really hot summer days slogging through those nasty PA rock gardens. Temps supposed to hit 100* on Saturday, so I'm headed back out with Jester this weekend to surprise some hikers. There seems to be many other trail angels out there and even some locals who have gotten the word and are leaving water at trailheads (road crossings). Been to most of them and have seen water at almost all. Just as long as everyone envolved cleans-up any trash from the magic, its all good. I received some great trail magic as did many other hikers in Port Clinton this past weekend from my friend Paddy'O', a well known trail angel from NY. I guess what goes around comes around;)

Ron Haven
07-24-2010, 04:28
I've heard a lot of great stories about trail angels and their generosity. Here's your opportunity to tell your story. What's the best experience you've had with trail angels?I love people who do trail majic.

This past weekend after an 11 hour slog to do only 12 miles, arriving at a campsite too tired to cook or eat what do we see? Sgt Rock offering up a 1 pound slab of steak! Best magic I've had in many a year. Just like always, its when you least expect it-he and his family already had a fire in the pit so the whole situation just got better. soon thereafter with a belly full of beef I hit the hammock. Thanks Rock and family!!Rock and Dixie are great.PS:and friends too..!!

Bag o' Tricks hauling 1000's of gallons of water to trailheads in Pa.Tricks,hope you are having a great summer. You are a modest but great trail angel too..!!

There was a lot of magic in Neels GapThey are cool down there at Neels.