PDA

View Full Version : Analysis Paralysis

Six-Six
07-23-2010, 09:34
I have studied the specs over and over and now can't decide between the Clark NX250 and several Hennessy models. From my research, they are both quality hammocks that will serve me well. I just can't seem to decide and pull the trigger. So, I come to you.

Based on these factors, which would you recommend for me (not your favorite, but what's better for me in your opinion)?

I am 6'6" and 250 lbs. I am a side sleeper and sleep warm. I have never slept in a hammock. I am a section hiker planning a thru in a few years. Weight is important, but I am not worried about ounces yet. I can afford the high-end, but saving money is always smart if I can still get what I need.

Please give me the benefit of your experience and opinion.

Storm
07-23-2010, 10:22
My buddy Footsore just purchased the NX150 from Clark. He's not quite as tall as you. The two small rods that open the tent gave it a very spacious feel and appearance. He let me try it out and it was very comfortable.

He used it on a 3 day hike on the LHHT with no problems at all and said he slept comfortable and was even able to sleep on his side when he wanted.

Kerosene
07-23-2010, 11:27
Found this review of the two: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45312

First, I'm a firm believer in the need for an underquilt at temps below 60F. I'm a warm sleeper also, but the temperature differential when my knee or butt pressed against uninsulated nylon would either keep me awake or wake me up.

I tend to go with the lighter weight options, so Clark products don't typically make the cut. However, it is so much easier to enter, exit, and sleep on your side that I start to re-think my biases.

Ender
07-23-2010, 11:33
Also worth considering are the Warbonnet hammocks. I don't own one, nor have I seen one in person... however, they are getting rave reviews, and looking at them online I am very interested.

FYI, I currently have a Hennessy Backpacker A-Sym, and I've been very happy with it. (I am 6'0" and 180). I also suggest getting an underquilt at some point, as it makes it a much more pleasant experience.

Here's the link to Warbonnet:
http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/

Tinker
07-23-2010, 11:42
I had a Hennessy and got tired of the bottom entry. When you pitch it close to the ground in wild weather you end up getting out into the mud. Now they offer (I understand) a side entry which I would prefer. I bought three side zip hammocks and tore the zippers out of each one. That's when I decided to try something different, inspired by the folks at Speer Hammocks:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=38616&catid=member&imageuser=2502
With the purchase of a large tarp, a MacCat, and a bug net I have greater flexibility and save weight in bugless weather because I can leave the net at home. The sleeping bag, like an underquilt, must snug up to the bottom of the hammock or you'll have cold spots.
Btw, I also have a 50 degree bag for summer and can pair it up with the bag in the pic. and some warm clothing to stay warm down to (so far) +5 degrees F.

Six-Six
07-23-2010, 13:11
Found this review of the two: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45312

Thanks, Kerosene - that is an excellent review and a perfect comparison for what I need.

Thank you everyone for your input and advice. I think I will pass on the Warbonnet - I know everyone is talking about it, but the website gives no info that I could find regarding height recommends. Weight - yes, height - no. I could assume from the info provided, but for me, that's a key bit of info that i need to know for sure.

I will wait a day or so to let any others have their say. Right now, it's Clark in the lead because of the comparative review, linked above. The key review point: getting a good nite's sleep in more comfort. As mentioned, I am not ounce-concerned, nor am I worried about taking a couple more minutes to setup.

Anyone else?

Tom Murphy
07-23-2010, 13:15
I have a Bear Mountain Bridge which is different base design than the gathered end hammocks. I really like it.

Warbonnets get great reviews.

http://www.hammockforums.net/

TinaLouise
07-23-2010, 15:12
I think I will pass on the Warbonnet - I know everyone is talking about it, but the website gives no info that I could find regarding height recommends. Weight - yes, height - no. I could assume from the info provided, but for me, that's a key bit of info that i need to know for sure.

I will wait a day or so to let any others have their say. Right now, it's Clark in the lead

Anyone else?

I have the Clark Tropical. If you go with the Clark, get the bigger one and the bigger tarp. I'm not crazy about the ones with the poles that open up the netting more. I just don't want the extra weight of the poles, the longer Clark will work just fine. Plus it's cheaper than the one with the poles. Look at the Clark underquilts too. Or do like I did and make your own.
About the Warbonnet blackbird. I have been in one and they are flat out hu-mong-gus inside!!! Plenty of room for your weight and height. They have a dedicated foot box that, because I'm short, my feet never even got close to being able to use. You should just call and talk with the owner.
Two things I will mention and you need to figure out how you feel about them... The Clark is a "sleep down the middle" type of hammock. If you have any slight feelings towards being real closed in when the weather shield is zipped shut, then you may need a different type hammock that's more open feeling. The Warbonnet is an off set sleeping hammock and it's got lots of internal room. Speer is a "sleep down the middle", hennessy is off set. Some of the cheaper hammocks are double wide and you can sleep off set. Sometimes, sleeping down the middle will cause some to feel pinched shoulders and or knee pain. Some find that they can sleep on their side easier in a sleep down the middle type hammock.

All that being said, I love my Clark.:jump It's perfect for me. I like being in a hammock that really forms close, I feel more secure in it. My husband can actually get into my reg size Clark but he's all cramped up. He would need the larger version. He's 6'4"

gunner76
07-23-2010, 22:54
I use a Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 double and at 6ft 3 and 280 lbs I have pleanty of room.

Rifleman
07-24-2010, 01:46
Six-six,
I've owned and slept in a Bana, HH, ENO, & a Warbonet BB. For right now, get one of the HH models that will accommodate your height and weight. You'll use and enjoy it for a while, then you'll decide to try something else.

If you get a HH you'll need a larger tarp than the minimalist one that comes with it. I got a 8' X 10' silnylon with tie-outs from Backcountry.com a few years ago. Ti stakes and rope to hang and stretch it out won't add more than a few ounces. I used it a few weeks ago on Hazel Creek in the GSMNP and one side made an excellent porch.

Before you jump to get an underquilt, get a ccf blue pad from Wally World, cut it in half, position the halves so that you will be insulated from head-to-hips and shoulder-to-shoulder (with several inches extra on both shoulders), and throw a Neat Sheet over the ccf blue pad to cut down on condensation. This insulation under you will take you down to the middle-to-upper thirties. An appropriately insulated sleeping bag over you will act as a quilt and a stuff bag with extra clothes in it will be your pillow.

Any other questions, go to hammockfourms.net. That's where the hard core hangers hang out
R.

HikerRanky
07-25-2010, 12:35
Six-Six,

I am also 6'6" and when I got into hammocking I weighed in at 280 lbs. I am now down to 250 lbs.

My first hammock was the HH Deluxe Explorer. I still own that hammock, but it has been replaced with a double 1.7 Blackbird. The reasons that I prefer the Blackbird is the double layer fabric which makes it easier to insert a pad if I need to for warmth, the zippers which allows me to sit in the hammock before going to bed, and the shelf allows me to store items inside the hammock....

With regards to the amount of room inside of the hammock when closed up, I can say that the Blackbird is more comfortable than the Explorer... I attribute this to the footbox.

As I said earlier, I still have the Explorer. Should something happen to the Blackbird, I still can sleep above ground.

Hope this helps you.

Randy

Cooldays
07-25-2010, 13:20
If I were you I would go to group hang and try everyones rig. Look at Hammock forums and see when the next one in your area is, they are very active and helpful. Then try them all for size. You can usually find a blackbird, a traveller, a hennessey and an eno but less likeley to see a clark or swithchback. They might even lend you one to try sometime or bring an extra setup. I have seen people shorter than you a little uncomfortable in shorter hammocks so its worth trying out before you buy.

beep
07-26-2010, 12:35
Based on these factors, which would you recommend for me (not your favorite, but what's better for me in your opinion)?

I am 6'6" and 250 lbs. I am a side sleeper and sleep warm. I have never slept in a hammock. I am a section hiker planning a thru in a few years. Weight is important, but I am not worried about ounces yet. I can afford the high-end, but saving money is always smart if I can still get what I need.

I am a happy owner of a Warbonnet Blackbird (2 of 'em counting the one my wife uses). I'm 6'5" and 230 lbs and find the fit good and more comfortable than other hammocks I have tried. In addition to comfort ( and construction quality, the WBBB is relatively light and packs down small to conserve pack real estate. I can recommend this hammock without reservation!:)

You WILL need some insulation underneath for temps below about 70 degrees (yes, it's true!). I tried using my ground pads below but quickly switched to a Warbonnet 3 season Yeti UQ for light weight and small packed volume...even less than a packed NeoAir regular.

Six-Six
07-26-2010, 17:01
Okay (he said smiling) I am putting the Warbonnet on my list. their website is down (for a vacation I presume) so ordering now is not possible. but I am not buying right this minute anyway.

Thank you to everyone who responded to help me make my decision. I am more undecided than ever. Haha. At least I know my chances are good that whichever one I choose it will be a good hammock, of good quality.

Clark NX250
Hennessey Explorer Deluxe A-Sym
Warbonnet Blackbird

I will redouble my efforts to find a way to try each one of these out for at least a few minutes. If you are in the triad area of North Carolina and would let me slide into your hammock to see how it feels, I would greatly appreciate it.

KnittingMelissa
07-27-2010, 05:26
I am six feet tall and around 140lbs and love my Warbonnet. It gets rave reviews for a reason.

But, if you're looking to test some hammocks out (which I do suggest, I was able to test out a wide variety before I purchased mine), you can ask on http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/index.php and there might be someone in your area who can help you test out the different setups. (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/index.php)

Raul Perez
07-27-2010, 08:22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg4dumdEHAU

Here's a video of my comparison of the Blackbird to the Hennessey Hammock. There's 4 parts I just posted the first part for you.

Six-Six
07-29-2010, 09:16
You guys, and the folks at Hammock Forums are great. I tested the WB BB yesterday, thanks to a new friend in the area. What everyone says seems to be true - the Warbonnet is fantastic and I felt perfectly comfortable in the air. I am looking forward to my first good night's sleep camping. Now all I have to worry about is having enough patience to wait for my new hammock to arrive. Thanks all for the advice.

Six-Six

Six-Six
08-11-2010, 16:55
My WBBB arrived today and will get a test hang this evening. Thanks everyone for all the advice and help making this important decision. I am officially 'off the ground'!!!

Six-Six
08-12-2010, 15:24
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/0/3/0/6/p8110181_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=42462&c=577)
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/0/3/0/6/p8110183_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=42463&c=577)

Doc Mike
08-12-2010, 16:01
Welcome to the world of hammocks, I love my HH but seriously considered the WBBB.

Doc Mike

couscous
08-12-2010, 16:05
After one luxurious night of gently "floating" in your hammock, you will be amazed at how much harder the ground seems if you have to sleep in a tent.