PDA

View Full Version : Water situation

buckowens
07-23-2010, 09:45
Hi all,

Does anybody have a recent update as to the water situation in the park? Getting ready for a hike of the AT through the park and was curious. I checked the area weather and it appears the rainfall is at the normal level according to weather.com, but I know that does not always mean the sources are flowing. Thanks.

SGT Rock
07-23-2010, 10:51
Hey Buck, we are getting hit quite a bit over the last few days. I was up there a couple of weeks ago (before all the rain) and all the sources were running but very low. When we had the big drought the water volumes for the bad spots, and the lack of water in other spots were listed on this site page:

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/temproadclose.htm

Looks like there are no water warnings for the AT at this point.

buckowens
07-23-2010, 10:54
Thanks Top, the kids and I are heading out next week. I actually switched from my MIOX filter to a pump style in anticipation of small pools. I'll post an update when we finish.

SGT Rock
07-23-2010, 11:15
Good luck - what is your route plan looking like?

trixie
08-21-2010, 14:35
My husband and I are headed out in a week for a 5 nighter in the Smokies. Planning on a loop out of Elkmont over Thunderhead/Rockytop and back. Does anyone know of the current water situation out there? Thanks!

HooKooDooKu
08-23-2010, 09:32
My husband and I are headed out in a week for a 5 nighter in the Smokies. Planning on a loop out of Elkmont over Thunderhead/Rockytop and back. Does anyone know of the current water situation out there? Thanks!

While the national park web site doesn't say anything NOW, late last week it said there was no water at Mollies Ridge Shelter (not likely to be included in your loop).

But more importantly is current closures around the Elkmont area: http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/temproadclose.htm
When I read what is listed in the closure, and compare it to the map, it would seem like ALL the trails out of Elkmont would have to be closed for the listed closure to be true. But if your main goal is Thunderhead, perhaps you really want to start a loop around Middle Prong.

SGT Rock
08-23-2010, 09:36
I haven't been up there lately but the rainfall around here hasn't picked up any. The water sources will probably be as bad or worse than the last time I posted.

trixie
08-24-2010, 16:03
Thanks guys!

SGT Rock, I appreciate the update - I knew we've started getting some rain here in B'ham, and that Nashville has had some, but wasn't sure what had made its way up there. Talked with one of the volunteers and the only water situation they were aware of was at Mollies Ridge. Hope that means everything else is still trickling :)

HooKooDooKu, looks like our route is clear, but we won't be able to park at Jakes Creek - must park at Elkmont. The trail is open but not the parking lot. No biggie, but I sure would have been dissapointed if we got up there are were told no go! Thank you for the heads up :)

Ox97GaMe
08-24-2010, 21:11
The water is fine in the Smokies.

Even Mollies, although the park is stating it as a 'dry' location has water. I was up there a few weeks ago and flagged (orange taping) down to a secondary spring about 100 yards below the dry piped spring. There is also a spring about 1 mile N. of Mollies and a good source 1 mile S. of Mollies (Ekaneetlee Gap).

Some of the smaller springs between shelters are sparce at the moment, but all shelters have water.

trixie
08-25-2010, 21:43
Thanks Ox! :)

sevensixtwo187
08-30-2010, 22:30
The water is fine in the Smokies.

Even Mollies, although the park is stating it as a 'dry' location has water. I was up there a few weeks ago and flagged (orange taping) down to a secondary spring about 100 yards below the dry piped spring. There is also a spring about 1 mile N. of Mollies and a good source 1 mile S. of Mollies (Ekaneetlee Gap).

Some of the smaller springs between shelters are sparce at the moment, but all shelters have water.

I am glad to hear that. My son and I are going up Gregory Ridge Trail & then to 13 and from there on to Mollies and Spence over this coming weekend. I have heard 13 is pretty dry but know I can count on Moore's spring. My big concern was lack of water at Mollies. Also, are there still frequent afternoon thunderstorms or have they let up?

trixie
09-03-2010, 11:35
We got back yesterday afternoon and there was not a drop of rain the entire time.

Lauriep
09-03-2010, 15:16
Our southern regional office just wrote us yesterday, "The southern 23 miles from Fontana to Derrick’s Knob is either dry or sporadic at best."

Any additional reports would be helpful.

Laurie P.
ATC

trixie
09-06-2010, 08:08
Laurie,
There was adequate water at Derrick and Spence Shelters, and there was water at beechnut gap between the two. I can't comment on Fontana to Spence.