PDA

View Full Version : Trail running

10-K
07-23-2010, 12:29
Anybody into trail running?

This morning I got up and got ready for my morning run and decided to give trail running a try by running the 9 mile section of the AT between Indian Grave Gap and Nolichucky River. So, I took a quart of water in my Camelback daypack and drove to the trail.

This is the perfect section (IMO) for trail running because there are no steep ups or downs and there are only a few sections that are rocky and they're less than 100 feet or so. Out of the entire 9 mile section I guesstimate I was able to run 8 miles of it.

This was my first experience with trail running and thought it was a lot of fun. I fell hard within a few minutes of starting (I flew through the air like Superman...) and again at the end when I was thinking how good I was doing.

What I experienced was that it took 15-20 minutes to get into "the zone" where I was able to run without tripping over roots and what not but after that I was able to maintain a 4.5/5 mile per hour pace.

I finished the 9 miles in 1 hour and 50 minutes - I don't know if that's good or bad - it would tak me about 1 hour and 15 minutes or so to run that distance on the street.

Anyway, I liked it enough to look forward to doing it again and was wondering if anyone else is into this activity?

Danielsen
07-23-2010, 12:36
I don't have a whole lot of trail running experience, but I know I tend to like it better than road running when I do so. Better scenery, cleaner air, and most trail surfaces feel better underfoot than pavement.

I'm just getting back into running after a little while being sick and/or busy, but once I'm back into the five-mile range I plan on taking it to the trail sometimes.

Lone Wolf
07-23-2010, 12:36
i've run 5, 50 mile trail ultras and a bunch of other trail races. labor Day weekend here in Damascus will be the Iron Mtn. 50, 30 and 16 mile trail race

Lone Wolf
07-23-2010, 12:37
i've run 5, 50 mile trail ultras and a bunch of other trail races. labor Day weekend here in Damascus will be the Iron Mtn. 50, 30 and 16 mile trail race

http://sites.google.com/site/ironmountaintrailrun/

10-K
07-23-2010, 12:44
http://sites.google.com/site/ironmountaintrailrun/

Well now there's something to think about... I'm sure I could run the 16 miler by then... (I can run 16 miles on the street now....)

Running 30 and 50 miles on a trail is a l-o-n-g way! :)

Plus, now that I live in Erwin, Damascus is an easy drive.

On my short list for me and my wife...

1. Hike Atkins to Damascus
2. Cycle the creeper trail

Lone Wolf
07-23-2010, 12:47
Well now there's something to think about... I'm sure I could run the 16 miler by then... (I can run 16 miles on the street now....)

Running 30 and 50 miles on a trail is a l-o-n-g way! :)

you can do the 30 no problem. i did the 16 last year just over 5 months after my heart attack and quad by-pass surgery. Alligator from here ran the 30 miler for his first trail race and did well

10-K
07-23-2010, 12:48
you can do the 30 no problem. i did the 16 last year just over 5 months after my heart attack and quad by-pass surgery. Alligator from here ran the 30 miler for his first trail race and did well

How does 30 on a trail compare to 26.2 on the street?

Lone Wolf
07-23-2010, 12:51
How does 30 on a trail compare to 26.2 on the street?

easier on the trail cuz there are sections you'll walk and be able to recover plus there are aid stations with food and drinks. you should never walk in a street marathon

Alligator
07-23-2010, 13:19
The mileage you do for sectioning is high 10-K, trail running seems right up your alley.

I was thinking of doing the Iron Mt but I jammed my toe earlier in the month and have not been training at all (very little before that either). There's a chance I may try the 16 miler and look for something longer later in the year.

10-K
07-23-2010, 14:19
I might just give the 16 miler some serious thought - not sure I want to try for 30 miles. I could be ready for 16 miles in a few weeks I'm sure - certainly before Labor Day.

Where would you even train to run 30 miles? I'm sure some sections are more suitable than others...

10-K
07-23-2010, 14:21
easier on the trail cuz there are sections you'll walk and be able to recover plus there are aid stations with food and drinks. you should never walk in a street marathon

My marathon pace is 9:00 mpm - that's close enough to walking for "real" runners. :)

Alligator
07-23-2010, 15:07
I might just give the 16 miler some serious thought - not sure I want to try for 30 miles. I could be ready for 16 miles in a few weeks I'm sure - certainly before Labor Day.

Where would you even train to run 30 miles? I'm sure some sections are more suitable than others...Why the AT of course.

I grab nearby maps and look for relatively flat sections on the profiles. I just want to be able to complete my mileage goal. Climbs no more than 500 ft are good in my book. (I'm just trying to finish the event mind you.) You don't have to always train on trail either, but it helps to have your weekly long runs on trails to get your footing, figure out calories/eating, get used to the longer demand on your body, etc. The one suggestion I'd have for you though is to train some on rocky trails.

The paces are slower than street marathons, there's elevation involved. Check out some recent races and look at the times.

JAK
07-23-2010, 17:37
Good run. Enjoy the trails.

1azarus
07-23-2010, 18:10
glad to hear you've figured out what to do after the big finish of the section hike! you're an inspiration...

10-K
07-23-2010, 22:15
glad to hear you've figured out what to do after the big finish of the section hike! you're an inspiration...

Well, I can't dance so I gotta do something. :)

Count me in for the 16 mile race - I'll mail in my registration on Monday.

Lone Wolf
07-23-2010, 22:27
Well, I can't dance so I gotta do something. :)

Count me in for the 16 mile race - I'll mail in my registration on Monday.

way to go! i'll run it too then

Alligator
07-24-2010, 09:03
I will come run the 16 as well.

10-K
07-24-2010, 09:50
I will come run the 16 as well.

Great! I'm going to go see what kind of time I can do running from Iron Mt. Gap to Nolichucky River tomorrow assuming I can get a ride up there early in the morning. That's about 20 miles...

BTW, would either of you be interested in running the actual 16 mile course prior to the race? I do that sometimes on street races just to learn the course. Seems like that could be very important running on a trail.

10-K
07-24-2010, 19:14
Alrighty... I'm registered for the 16 mile run. Even got a t-shirt!

jersey joe
07-25-2010, 10:43
Nice 10-K...If I were closer to Damascus I would probably join you...a 16 miler sounds like just about the right distance. One thing I was thinking while hiking in NJ last weekend and almost stepping on a rattle snake was if I were trail running, maybe with headphones on, I could have easily gotten bit. Especially because the thing that tipped me off to the one rattle snake was the actual rattle. It then occurred to me that one could easily run up on a Bear as well. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with trail running and the increased likelihood of litterally running into potentially dangerous wildlife? One obvious suggestion would be to NOT wear headphones.

10-K
07-25-2010, 13:11
Ok, so this morning I drove up to Iron Mt. Gap and ran the 20 miles back to Erwin. My Forerunner said that I ran 16.01 miles in 4:15:46. So, that's my baseline and where I'm starting at.

I think with less than a month away there's not much time to really improve so I'm going to work on endurance rather than speed.

BTW, Joe - I though the same thing about running up on a snake this morning. I was hoping I'd be over it before it had a chance to bite me.

jersey joe
07-25-2010, 16:10
BTW, Joe - I though the same thing about running up on a snake this morning. I was hoping I'd be over it before it had a chance to bite me.
I'm glad it isn't just me that worries about such things.

Alligator
07-25-2010, 17:19
Great! I'm going to go see what kind of time I can do running from Iron Mt. Gap to Nolichucky River tomorrow assuming I can get a ride up there early in the morning. That's about 20 miles...

BTW, would either of you be interested in running the actual 16 mile course prior to the race? I do that sometimes on street races just to learn the course. Seems like that could be very important running on a trail.I don't think that with my upcoming schedule I will be able to make it 10-K. Should this change I will PM you.

I have to sit down and look at the maps. I think as part of the 30 miler, I have done the same parts. There may have been a split off though on the end of the 16 so I need to check. If you do end up doing a practice run, the first 5 miles was the same for all runners last year, and that's on the Creeper. You might just want to skip over that as it is flat.

JJJ
07-26-2010, 11:44
10-K, A group of us called the Iron Mt Trail Runners frequently do group runs out of Damascus or the general area. A couple from Johnson City drive up and run pretty regular that might make a good carpool option.
We do Wed evening 5:30 from Damascus north about 8 miles most ever week. Let me know and we'll put you on the mailing list for special events about 2-3 time a month -all four seasons.

No headphones is good idea but we use them anyway sometimes.
I read that the man who developed the Badwater 135 rear ended a mt lion in wind storm on a training run one time. :D

10-K
07-26-2010, 11:50
10-K, A group of us called the Iron Mt Trail Runners frequently do group runs out of Damascus or the general area. A couple from Johnson City drive up and run pretty regular that might make a good carpool option.
We do Wed evening 5:30 from Damascus north about 8 miles most ever week. Let me know and we'll put you on the mailing list for special events about 2-3 time a month -all four seasons.

No headphones is good idea but we use them anyway sometimes.
I read that the man who developed the Badwater 135 rear ended a mt lion in wind storm on a training run one time. :D

That would be great - put me on the list - tbradnc @ gmail.com.

Thanks!