PDA

View Full Version : looking for shuttle advice in North GA

sore_feet
07-23-2010, 12:33
Hi, this is my first post here on WB. I am trying to get back into hiking and not be so much of a couch potato :p. I live in Northeast GA and I am interested in doing some day hikes on the AT. I will most likely be hiking alone, so i am going to need a shuttle to pick me up where i park and drop me off at my intended starting point. For example, if i want to hike from Woody gap to Neels Gap, I would need a shuttle to pick me up at Neels and drop me off at Woody. I basically just want to do Gap to Gap day hikes like this until i get in a little better hiking shape.(Maybe even the shorter ones like Neels to Tesnatee that I read about below). I have been on the ATC website where it gives a list of shuttles for GA, but I just wanted to ask the many hikers here on WB who they recommend for this type of shuttle. All suggestions, links, and help is greatly appreciated!

HiKen2011
07-23-2010, 13:18
Try Survivor Dave.

max patch
07-23-2010, 13:57
For day hikes easier (and cheaper) just to do out and back and loops. Some loops:

1. Park at usfs 42, hike S on AT to Springer, take Benton McKaye S off of Springer to where it intersects with AT, take AT S back to parking lot.

2. Park at Lake Winfield Scott, take Jarrad Gap trail to AT, hike AT N to Slaughter Gap trail, hike Slaughter Gap trail S back to Lake Winfield Scott.

3. Park at Neels Gap (Bryon Reece parking lot), take blue blaze to intersection of AT and Freeman trail, take Freeman Trail to intersection of AT, take AT N over Blood back to blue blaze trail to parking lot.

Don't ignore out and backs, either.

max patch
07-23-2010, 13:59
take Benton McKaye S off of Springer

s/b N off of Springer.

10-K
07-23-2010, 14:12
Don't ignore out and backs, either.

Out and backs are perfect for training because when you turn around to come back the terrain changes 180*.

Skidsteer
07-23-2010, 15:01
Try Survivor Dave.

And Cool Breeze.

MkBibble
07-23-2010, 15:08
I like Survivor Dave (great guy, resonable prices) http://www.atsurvivordave.com/. Might also contact the Hiker Hostel http://hikerhostel.com/ . If you need a place to stay before or after the Hiker Hostel is nice and cheap, and the food is fantastic.

sore_feet
07-28-2010, 12:30
Thanks for the help guys. I think I am going to take your advice and just do some out and backs for training. Thanks for the suggestions of Survivor Dave and Cool Breeze. Just for future reference in case i decide to use a shuttle do any of you guys know how I can contact Cool Breeze, also have any of you had a shuttle from Wes Wisson, I have heard good things about him as well.

Jack Tarlin
07-28-2010, 12:36
For Breeze, try (813) 470-9777.

mdbuckman
08-23-2010, 17:39
thanks - great advice

Marta
08-23-2010, 20:32
Out and backs are good as you're trying to get into shape because you can work it with any amount of time. Park your car and decide what time you need to be back to the car. If it's 11 a.m. and you need to be back at the car at 3, you know you have four hours to hike. Divide by two, and add to your start time. Now you have your turnaround time. In this case it would be 2 o'clock.

If you are committed to getting into better and better shape, make one hike your benchmark hike. See how far you get in x hours the first time you hike it. Every month or two, rehike that section and see either how much farther you get in the allotted amount of time, or how much more quickly you can hike that section.

Good luck getting into shape!

Trailweaver
08-24-2010, 02:50
I use the Hiker Hostel for everything in GA - shuttle, overnight stay, quick shower post hike - they're friendly, efficient, and have a great place in Dahlonega. They can give you weather and water reports also. You can see it at hikerhostel.com

Welcome to Whiteblaze and to the GA section of the trail!

max patch
08-24-2010, 06:48
Out and backs are good as you're trying to get into shape because you can work it with any amount of time. Park your car and decide what time you need to be back to the car. If it's 11 a.m. and you need to be back at the car at 3, you know you have four hours to hike. Divide by two, and add to your start time. Now you have your turnaround time. In this case it would be 2 o'clock.

I'm guessing that Marta wasn't a math major :)

Marta
08-24-2010, 07:03
I'm guessing that Marta wasn't a math major :)

You're right about that! :eek:

Correction: Two hours out makes your turn-around time 1:00!

(I think I've got it right this time...):sun

Sierra Echo
08-24-2010, 07:12
3. Park at Neels Gap (Bryon Reece parking lot), take blue blaze to intersection of AT and Freeman trail, take Freeman Trail to intersection of AT, take AT N over Blood back to blue blaze trail to parking lot.

The Byron Herbert Reese parking lot is still closed.