PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite piece of lightweight gear

foodbag
11-12-2004, 10:26
I am always looking for new gear items to lighten the load. I'm wondering what everyone's favorite lightweight gear item is. Also, where did you get it and how much did you pay for it?

I'll start out by mentioning my soda can stove made by Tin Man at Anti-Gravity Gear. $12 for a high quality alcohol stove weighing around 1 oz., autographed by Tin Man himself (a nice touch)....

Thanks y'all.

SGT Rock
11-12-2004, 10:35
I'll throw out about three:

1. Homeade stove - .6 ounces and free.

2. Hennessy Hammock - luxury on the trail with good shelter. There are some other things that go with this like my Jacks 'R better Quilt and homemade pad that work well as a system.

3. Moonbow Gearskin. One of the most comfortable packs I have ever used.

I have a lot of other lightweight stuf I really like, but these three are the tops.

smokymtnsteve
11-12-2004, 10:37
titanium french coffee press :clap

got it @ REI for $49.95

tlbj6142
11-12-2004, 10:40
Probably my windshirt. I own a Marmot Chinook (2003 model) and a Montane Aero (a gift). I carry the Montane most of the time. The Chinook has a hood so its nice if I expect lots of bugs or colder temps.

A close 2nd would have to be my Manzella Hat (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=10812978&parent_category_rn=5227673&). Its the perfect weight for hiking in the winter and works great to keep you warm during 3-season stuff.

Jaybird
11-12-2004, 10:42
my fave LITEweight gear is:

SNOWPEAK Ti 900

dual use as cook-pot, & large coffee mug!
3oz. :D

i still love my 3-year-old Sierra Designs Wild Bill 2.0 mummy sleeping bag (just under 3 lbs) :D

chris
11-12-2004, 11:00
My ULA P1-X pack and WM Ultralight sleeping bag. Oh, and my beer can stove. I also like my really ratty and decaying MEC T-shirt. The uglier it gets, the more I like it.

ga>me>ak
11-12-2004, 11:00
The caption for this thread started, What's your favorite piece...

Very dangerous,I am exercising restraint here :D

steve hiker
11-12-2004, 11:46
Leki Ultralite Ergo Ti poles at 14 oz/pair. My knees love them.

Homemade Sierra Mist (not a pepsi fan) can stove. The thing is so light you can hardly feel any weight when you hold it.

walkin' wally
11-12-2004, 12:28
Beverage (PC?) can stove. :sun

grrickar
11-12-2004, 12:58
My Optimus Crux stove, 3.1 oz - $50 paid from Ebay new in box

MSR Hubba 1 man tent - 3lbs $160 paid, also from Ebay

Snow Peak Multi Ti cookset - 2 pots, 2 pans (2x as lids) - 11.6 oz if I carry the whole setup (which I never have)

Snow Peak Ti Spork - Good for cooking, eating, stirring, etc very lightweight

Palmer
11-12-2004, 13:57
Gotta say I love my ti spork. Of course, I love any kind of spork. Just started using a Hennessy, and that may eventually overtake the spork.

MOWGLI
11-12-2004, 14:29
A small radio shack AM FM radio & headphones. At night, I really love to listen to AM radio for about an hour while laying in my sleeping bag. The radio & headphones weigh about half a pound, but I don't know how much exactly.

My balaclava is also pretty stylin' in the winter.

Silk boxers by Patagonia. They help deter chafing.

bailcor
11-12-2004, 15:03
Got some of the gear mentioned, so will mention ZYFLEX THERMAL MITTENS.
Weight - 2.8oz Cost - $14.00. Wind resistance and water resistance, and will keep those digitals very warm.

Youngblood
11-12-2004, 15:19
I've thought about this post for a while and I'm stuck. I have some home made gear that I really like and some bought gear that has served me well. But as far as 'what is my favorite piece of lightweight gear'. I guess I have a whole backpack full of it and then some, including the backpack and some of it may not even be 'lightweight'. I can't pick just one... I'm thinking that is a good thing.

Youngblood

Peaks
11-12-2004, 17:12
Gotta say I love my ti spork. Of course, I love any kind of spork. Just started using a Hennessy, and that may eventually overtake the spork.

I think that a lexan spoon is lighter, and certainly much cheaper.

tlbj6142
11-12-2004, 17:28
You are correct. A lexan teaspoon (not the soup spoon) weighs about 7g. Whereas the Vargo Ti Spork comes in at 14g.

Footslogger
11-12-2004, 17:32
It's got to be either my Frogg Toggs or my silnylon stuff sacks. Bought them here and there along the trail on my thru last year.

peter_pan
11-12-2004, 19:51
MY 2.4 oz, 12x 22 inch pad, cut from a GI issue green sleep pad.

This pad is the removable frame to my backpack. I pull it out in less than a second at virtually all breaks and sit on it. This keeps me from sereous heat loss in the winter, keeps me away from the chiggers and other biters on the ground, and provides a dry spot on wet days. It also provide a comfortable seat on picnic tables and shelter floors.

I set my hot pot on it to reduce heat loss to the ground/ table. I fold it in half to hold a Mountain House or other re-hydration meal ( held closed with a small rock), this lets me allow extra time above the mfg recommendation and still have a piping hot dinner. THIS REALLY INSURES A BETTER DINNER.

If I ever break a limb I plan to use it to pad the split. It can also be cut and formed into a cevical collar.

If the weather become too extreme it can be inserted into a shirt to add considerable insulation and wind block for the body core. Alternatively it can be folded in half, placed over the head, held in place by a thin hood on a 3 oz wind breaker such as a Golite. Thus retarding head heat loss.

It can be inserted between The Nest and my Hennessy, under the hip area, if temperatures unexpectantly drop beyond the Nests protection range.

It restowes and functions as the pack frame in less than three seconds on a loaded pack.

The older I get the more I love the ways that this pad keeps me comfortable and coming back to hike. :D

grrickar
11-12-2004, 19:53
My Snow Peak Ti spork weighs in at .6 oz. I'm not sure lexan is lighter or not. What is the lightest lexan spoon/spork?

The reason I went with Ti is because you can wipe it clean, then heat it over your stove to kill any germs. It also stirs hot stuff better than my Tek Lexan eating utensils, because they flex a good bit; even more so when they are hot.

sierraDoug
11-12-2004, 20:41
So far (I'm just getting started on lightening up) my favorite light weight "gear" items are my Asics running shoes (not made for trails) which I bought years ago for about $40 for disc golf, and my super light weight button-up short sleeved shirt (hacked the sleeves off) which I got at a discount clothing store (Ross in CA) for about $6 after reading what RJ wears. It's polyester and rayon. Very cool.

I have made a hi-tech Chris style alcohol stove, but haven't tried cooking on it yet. Damn, that flame is invisible. Nearly burnt my hand thinking the HEET hadn't lit.

FatMan
11-12-2004, 20:45
I'm going with my Hennessey Hammock. Didn't cut much weight but is certainly is comfy.

TakeABreak
11-13-2004, 03:12
My Photon II flash light, 0.17 ozs, it really works a lot better than you can imagine.

David S.
11-14-2004, 09:23
You are correct. A lexan teaspoon (not the soup spoon) weighs about 7g. Whereas the Vargo Ti Spork comes in at 14g.

I just had an idea...I have never seen a lexan spork but I think I am going to try and make one with my dremmel tool and cutoff wheel. Whadaya think?

PKH
11-14-2004, 09:34
Aurora Lexan Spork

www.gear-up.com

Cheers,

PKH

Doctari
11-14-2004, 09:35
I suppose it's my Nomad tent; My first piece of Ultra light gear: 31 Oz, counting: tent, 3 stakes, 4 poles.

2nd would have to be the homemade alcohol stove & make shift cook set, total weight 14 Oz counting: stove, pot lid, cozy, spoon, pot holder, scrubby, etc.

Doctari.

broodX
11-14-2004, 14:17
Jetboil stove. perfect for the solo grumpy hiker who needs caffeine before thinking of being social or even getting out of bag.

Kozmic Zian
11-14-2004, 20:27
Yea.....Guess mine is the MSR Stove at 3oz. Small, packs small, easy to find cannisters. Love the Thermarest Ultra-lite 3/4 sleep pad. I'm not an ultra-lite hiker though. I like comfort within reason. Usually have about 25lbs for 4 days.

Patco
11-14-2004, 21:53
1. Go Lite tarp, got it from my dad (Brushy Sage), FREE!
2. Z-rest full length pad, online, cheap.
3. MSR aluminum pot holder, local outfitter, about $12.00 I think.

ga>me>ak
11-17-2004, 12:04
[QUOTE=Doctari]I suppose it's my Nomad tent; My first piece of Ultra light gear: 31 Oz, counting: tent, 3 stakes, 4 poles.

who makes this tent? I've seen a few references to Nomad tent..... Lone Wolf mentioned one by North Face. I'm looking for a light tent for next years thru. My walrus tent is WAY to heavy

Doctari
11-17-2004, 12:58
[QUOTE=Doctari]I suppose it's my Nomad tent; My first piece of Ultra light gear: 31 Oz, counting: tent, 3 stakes, 4 poles.

who makes this tent? I've seen a few references to Nomad tent..... Lone Wolf mentioned one by North Face. I'm looking for a ligfht tent for next years thru. My walrus tent is WAY to heavy

Nomad is (was?) made by wanderlustgear.com

It's made of sil nylon, sleeps ONE comfortably, he do/did make a 2 person version, about the same weight plus 3 extra tent stakes.
The nomad comes with: tent, 4 poles (2 spreader poles & 2 that support the rain fly/awning.
From what I hear, it is currently not able to meet production. Delivery is at least 6 months.
As posted on the web site: call, do NOT e-mail.

Doctari.

The Will
11-17-2004, 16:14
Favorite pieces of Ultra-light gear would be...

1) HH Extreme Light Racer A-sym

2) Feathered Friends Rock Wren sleeping bag. Easily doubles as a Jacket/Vest for in-camp use.

3) Platypus water bladder (with water spout half cut off) uses for cooking
pot. Works on the same principle as the expensive dehydrated meals. Place
you food in, add 10-12 oz of boiling water, roll the top and secure with a
paper clip, place inside you sleeping bag or fleece and return in 10 minutes.
A 10 oz Ti cup serves as the "pot" to boil water.

hustler
11-17-2004, 22:39
I would say Marmot Dry-Clime, awesome peice of gear!

swamp dawg
11-18-2004, 11:53
Esbit pocket stove---3 1/4 oz. uses 1/2 oz. fuel tablets which can be blown out if not expended and used again....neat.

Pencil Pusher
11-18-2004, 15:48
Either the Jansport frameless pack or the Tikka headlight. The Jansport is discontinued, the Tikka you can buy most places for $30.

Lilred
11-18-2004, 23:46
My favorite piece of lightweight gear would be my alcohol stove. Made it myself and it works great. Almost no weight.

My new tent, the Lunar Solo by Sixmoondesigns, is fast becoming my latest, favorite lightweight piece of gear. I have the heavier floor, and with my stakes, comes in right under 2lbs.

Bloodroot
11-19-2004, 07:16
My favorite pieces would to be my:

1) MSR Pocket Rocket stove
2) Petzl headlamp
3) Lexan spork
4) WM Ultralite

PKH
11-19-2004, 07:57
Many favourites:

Tikka LED lamp
Marmot Hydrogen
Cloudburst Tarptent
Brasslite Turbo I
Lexan spork

Cheers,

PKH

Peaks
11-19-2004, 08:52
I've never seen a spork made from lexan. Where did that come from? or is it home-made?

Bloodroot
11-19-2004, 12:28
I've never seen a spork made from lexan. Where did that come from? or is it home-made?
Here's the one I have. http://www.gear-up.com/cart_showproduct.php?pid=395

Footslogger
11-19-2004, 12:54
Hey ...thanks for the lead on the lexan spork. Just ordered one for the wife and me. Hadn't seen them in lexan anywhere in the stores. I suppose now I'll have to cut them down so that they fit in our cook pots. Small price to pay though. Very practical gadget.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Bloodroot
11-19-2004, 13:14
Hey ...thanks for the lead on the lexan spork. Just ordered one for the wife and me. Hadn't seen them in lexan anywhere in the stores. I suppose now I'll have to cut them down so that they fit in our cook pots. Small price to pay though. Very practical gadget.

'Slogger
AT 2003
YW. That is exactly what I did with mine. Really didn't have to cut very much off either.

Jason

canyon
12-01-2004, 04:24
my shires rainshadow.

I have a baby and a wife who accompany me and htis thing is soo nice.

zippka way better than any BD trash that always breaks
ok I'll stop...
My silnylon Packa

rustyb
12-01-2004, 12:19
....is my Feathered Friends Rock Wren sleeping bag. It's 1.75 lbs and doubles as a parka of sorts. It ventalates very well, has kept me comfy in freezing temps and is just generally a very versitile piece of gear. I paid around $275 for it with optional 800 fill down.

A similar bag I just got is the Western Mountaineering Line Lite. Same concept in a 14oz package. Haven't used it yet.

r

Singletrack
12-02-2004, 19:10
My 34.7 oz. Granite Gear Vapor Trail Pack, and my 11 oz. Marmot Driclime Wind shirt. (soft shell)

Happy
12-28-2004, 00:48
Nomad Lite Tent
WM Ultralite Sleeping Bag
G-4 Backpack
3/4 Z-Rest
Marmot Dry-Clime wind jacket
WM Flight Jacket
2 Litre Platypus Hydration System
Marmot Pre-Cip pants & jacket
Alcohol stove & aluminum pot/top/fry pan
AM/FM Radio with earbuds
Pee-bottle
Hat/gloves/glove liners/WP glove shells

swamp dawg
12-28-2004, 01:05
I love my Esbit stove, it just works for me. Quick to set up and small to pack.
Life is good on the trail. Swamp Dawg

neo
12-28-2004, 06:34
my favorite pack equinox katahdin:) 1 lb 8 oz paid $79.99
my hennessy ultra lite hammock 1 lb 10oz paid $119.00
my favorite sleeping bag exped down wall creeper 1 lbs 14oz paid $ 120.00
my favorite stove a copy of tin mans alcohol stove less than an oz.i made it.
my msr titan kettle 4oz paid $40.00
my snow peak spork .5oz paid $11.00:sun neo

squirrel bait
12-28-2004, 07:35
My favorite piece of equipment is the stove made for me by LilRedMG. Wieghs nothing and was free. Just used it over the hoildays and once again performed flawlessly. Though I do keep the fuel warm as per the hints here on wb. LilRedMG if ya ever want some beach glass, white, green or brown just let me know and some is on it's way to ya. Blue is just so hard to find. And of a collection of over 3 thousand pieces I have never found a piece of red yet. Guess ya can tell where I spend most of my time.

RU98A
12-28-2004, 08:40
My ti spork. It may weigh a little more than the lexan but it won't deform if left in boiling water.:)

DavidR
12-30-2004, 13:59
My favorite piece of lightweight gear has to be my Oware CatTarp. Very lightweight and functional.

alpine
02-06-2005, 00:07
I've gone thru many packs. I haven't tried them all but this pack has served me well on the pct. I love the hip belt pockets. They are just the right size for my camera candy bars and other small things such as knife etc.You can tell this was designed by an expierenced thru hiker. The large outside pocket is mesh and makes it easier to find things because they are visible. It also has two large mesh side pockets that are also easy access. They are great when you don't want to unpack every time you want your water filter or other items that you need quick access to. It fits well do to its sizing. I don't recomend for loads more then 30 lbs. however.

The Hammocker
02-11-2005, 21:18
The Hammock Is The Greatest Piece Of Gear Ever!!!!

flyfisher
02-11-2005, 21:37
Yes, I have to agree. Hammock.

fantasmagris
02-11-2005, 21:42
Well, I'd have to say the things i FEEL most:

1 - Trail shoes (NB 806)
2 - ULA P-2 pack (old style 2001 model)
3 - MSR mesh tent (yeah, i FEEL freedom from bugs)
4 - Nice down bag and cushy pad (WM Caribou or BA Horse Thief w pack-lite foam over 2.5" of BA Air Core)

But if i had to pick only one ... I gotta go w/ the trail shoes. What a difference losing the boots has made! And I never would have imagined it. Some friends had to talk me into it.

Gris :D

hikerjohnd
02-11-2005, 21:50
I just got it a couple of days ago - and I have only set it up in the yard today (much to the dismay of our neighborhood Gladys Kravits) - but I absolutely love my Tarptent Virga! It is DA-BOMB! I think I bought the last one of the older models with sewn in floor and extended beak. So light... So fluffy... Like sleeping in a cloud... I hope:clap

ARambler
02-11-2005, 22:53
1) Jacks Resupply guide: wt. 0 g.
Allowed me to plan food drops so I averaged less than 3 nights on the trail between reliable resupply points. My friend who hiked the PCT the year before, probably had to carry twice the food. At 2 lb/day, that's over 5 lb savings. Nobody leaves town with base weight.

2) Lithium battery for BD Ion LED: 9 g
This is 2 or 3 g (yes 0.1 oz) lighter than the standard silver oxide battery. When I discovered this savings, I knew I was insane and just worried about hiking and not weight after that. :bse (Sure enough I didn't have to carry all of that court mandated medication that other Ultra Lighters list under misc/toiletries etc)

The Hammocker
02-27-2005, 13:44
My Hammock!!!

Duh!

Mooselook Marty
02-27-2005, 16:59
Platypus Little Nipper - for tequila. Weight is about 1/2 ounce and holds 12 ounces. Tough, collapsible, perfect.

MadAussieInLondon
02-27-2005, 19:50
my brasslite solo. I dont remember how much it weighs or what it cost. Its light and bloody fantastic. Handmade by Aaron and full of good karma. Excellent workmanship and a hard working piece of kit.

cheers aaron for a bonza stove mate. it is my fav bit of kit...

bulldog49
02-28-2005, 10:54
Western Mountaineering Antelope DL, Snow Peak giga stove and Marmot windshirt.

Granger
02-28-2005, 16:06
I would have to say either my tinman stove, .4 ozs and never fails. Or my GG Ozone. At 3lbs is not ultralight, but it is really comfortable and performs well up to 40lbs. This enables me to take some of my heavier gear (SLR camera and lenses, kids gear etc...) with no problems.

-MYST-
03-24-2005, 18:27
1 My homemade soda can stove .3oz

2 Western mountaineering sleeping bag. 1lb 10oz. 20degree

3 Miox water purifier

bogey
03-25-2005, 03:33
...but NOT replace it I hope :o

Just Jeff
03-25-2005, 10:05
Hennessey Hammock (UL BP A-Sym), $120, 20oz w/o stock fly and with JRB Python Skins.

JRB 8x8 Tarp, $60, 11oz with guylines, sling-shot tensioners, 2 Walmart stakes.

JRB Nest and No-Sniveller, $360 including 2 stuff sacks, 20 oz each. Top Quilt and Underquilt replace 30° sleeping bag.

JetBoil, $80, 13oz w/o fuel cannister, with 1L pot, lid, cozy, handle, pot stand, stove, windscreen, heat exchanger, measuring cup (all included with cooking system).

Or maybe one of my homemade hammocks.

trip
05-28-2005, 16:59
Compression shorts are a godsend. Vitamin I doesn't work. Going without utrou doesn't work. Bert's Res-Q Ointment doesn't work. They all help, but in the end, the compression shorts are by far the greatest gift that has ever graced a thru-hiker suffering that inner-thigh pain.

Hammock Hanger
05-28-2005, 17:54
My Hennessy Hammock - My Packa - my pop can stove

NICKTHEGREEK
05-28-2005, 17:55
I don't buy gear based on weight as the primary consideration, but I don't buy everything in cast iron either. 2 Items that I really like for solo hiking that are at least lighter and more compact than similar items used in group hiking are:

Primus Alpine Micro stove: Replaces snowpeak gigapower BF

Snowpeak 3 piece ti cookset: Replaces GSI Hard Annodized cookware & outback oven.

Ridge
05-28-2005, 19:12
I just sent my husband a new titanium teapot .8L. Has insulated folding handles and insulated lid handle. Bottom is bulged out for stability and for more exposure to heat.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=600835&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&langId=-1&addon=711554-630151&ext_cat=undefined

TOW
05-29-2005, 07:41
my glasses..........

no really, i like my alcohol stove and sleeping bag, a 40 degree kelty

wanderer

Nameless
05-29-2005, 20:21
Moonbow Gearskin -
The third pack I have owned, and I absolutely love it! Its so unbelievably comfortable ad convient.

My homemade SuperCat stove -
less than a quarter ounce, and cooks quicker than any pepsi can stove I have seen. Also super easy to make in under ten minuets.

WM Ultralight- that is one hot sleeping bag, and I grew used to sleeping cold at night before it, a problem I never have to worry about again.

Pink

jasonklass
12-28-2005, 01:41
In Order-
1. ULA P-2 pack (I know, not truly ultralight)
2. Supercat stove
3. My new Vargo Titanium spork

Hana_Hanger
12-28-2005, 05:16
1. Princeton Tec L.E.D. Aurora Headlamp 2.7 oz
Pretty sure it was only $21.99 and came with free Pulsar LED Keychain light (very bright)from Basegear

2. Red Ledge Techlight Pants 6.4 oz from Campmor on sale $4.99
Red Ledge Techlight Anorak 8.5 oz both were on clearance

3. Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Hammock 3 lbs 5 oz with 4 tent pegs
$144.00 from eBay
4. Crazy Creek PowerLounger AIR 3 lbs 5 oz
$67.00 from REI

Now I realize for others those two listed last are NOT considered Ultralight but for me I will sacraifice in other areas...less clothes...less food.
Got to have my comfort!!!

Seeker
12-28-2005, 10:57
1-Ion Stove and stand (under 2 oz)

2-WM Caribou sleeping bag (20oz, 35*)

3-HH UB-Asym hammock w/JRB underquilt.

johnny quest
12-29-2005, 08:40
how the HECK do you erase a stupid message???

johnny quest
12-29-2005, 08:42
MY 2.4 oz, 12x 22 inch pad, cut from a GI issue green sleep pad.

This pad is the removable frame to my backpack. I pull it out in less than a second at virtually all breaks and sit on it. This keeps me from sereous heat loss in the winter, keeps me away from the chiggers and other biters on the ground, and provides a dry spot on wet days. It also provide a comfortable seat on picnic tables and shelter floors.

I set my hot pot on it to reduce heat loss to the ground/ table. I fold it in half to hold a Mountain House or other re-hydration meal ( held closed with a small rock), this lets me allow extra time above the mfg recommendation and still have a piping hot dinner. THIS REALLY INSURES A BETTER DINNER.

If I ever break a limb I plan to use it to pad the split. It can also be cut and formed into a cevical collar.

If the weather become too extreme it can be inserted into a shirt to add considerable insulation and wind block for the body core. Alternatively it can be folded in half, placed over the head, held in place by a thin hood on a 3 oz wind breaker such as a Golite. Thus retarding head heat loss.

It can be inserted between The Nest and my Hennessy, under the hip area, if temperatures unexpectantly drop beyond the Nests protection range.

It restowes and functions as the pack frame in less than three seconds on a loaded pack.

The older I get the more I love the ways that this pad keeps me comfortable and coming back to hike. :D

great ideas! and you can roll it up inside a stuff bag and have a pretty good pillow!

Seeker
12-29-2005, 11:27
how the HECK do you erase a stupid message???

you can't... the edit button only appears in some threads... i think it's AT Troll and SGT Rock messin' with us again... like that period of three weeks where i couldn't get paragraphs to appear... then it quit... hmm... (could be shelter mice too... or gremlins of another sort...) :-?

Zzzzdyd
12-29-2005, 14:02
#1 Mark, a multi-thru hiker that went through my pack with me and very gently taught me about "gear redundancies" and how to live without them.
A worry free mind is the most important "gear" I carry....

On the material side these are a few of my favs.

Super Cool Orange Go-Lite hat.

Go-Lite Breeze pack.

Wenger Swiss Army Esquire knife.

hikelite55
12-29-2005, 16:14
For me that`s a no brainer, my Hennessey hammock (Lite Racer Asym. 1lb.4ozs.) is by far my most favorite U/L piece of gear.I can fall asleep almost as quickly as I do at home (No need to look for a flat spot, they`re EVERYWHERE/ 2 trees ,that`s it!) Total weight of the "big 4" items in my pack is 3lb.7.5ozs.

Wolf - 23000
12-30-2005, 13:23
I've done without everything inside my backpack including the pack it self. The one thing I hate hiking without is a spoon. I forgot/lost my spoon several times over the years and I hate it every time.

Wolf

fiddlehead
12-31-2005, 08:07
My favorite is my guitar. It's a Backpacker by Martin. Only weighs 2 lbs! Now that's light!

beartrack1
01-02-2006, 00:57
My miniature hommade Amateur Radio Transceiver. A hiker named SloGoin designed it and I built it. It weighs about 2 oz and fits into a little altoids tin. I was able to lay in my sleeping bag with my morse code key in my hand and earbuds in my ears and communicate with friends all around the United States while the other hikers bunked right next to me heard nothing at all and thought I was sleeping. This rig also won me the top prize in the Hommade Gear Contest at Damascus Trail Days 2005.

AT hiker 2005
trail name MacGyver
my alias: Beartrack

HikeLite
01-02-2006, 10:28
There are several of the kit morse code radios for altoids tins out there including the rock mite, the pixie, etc. Probably the best small CW rig is the AT Sprint III, but I don't think it's usually put inside an altoids tin.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4758

fluffhead
01-04-2006, 00:03
got to say the hubba at 3 lbs and the kettle at 4 oz. and the black dimond ion hedlamp, about 1 oz

bombayblue
01-04-2006, 16:13
I've got two favorite items.

1st, my Kavu Chilba hat. Looks like is should be in the fields in vietnam. It is great for shade, and even better when it is raining. It is like wearing an umbrella.

2nd, my 900 ML Evernew Titanium cookset. Weighs 4 oz and is big enough to pack just about any stove you have inside it. $40 at REI

Deb
01-04-2006, 20:15
1. Jagbag silk liner in a silk stuff sack. Smaller than a hard roll. 4.7 oz.

2. Super Cat alcohol stove. .38 oz.

3. Stainless steel 2 cup pot with knobbed lid. 4.8 oz. Fits perfectly on Super Cat. $1 at Yankee Dollar.

Smooth
01-04-2006, 21:04
#1 My 7.2 oz Gore Tex Bivy Sac from Mont-Bell. There is NO better shelter than one that does not need to be staked, tied or assembled at the end of a long day of hiking. Ya I love my HH, but not like my bivy.

#2 Photon micro light. Very lite with plenty of light to do camp chores. No, I do not hike at night.

Cheesewhiz
01-04-2006, 21:14
I love my montbell Thermawrap 8.8 oz and of course my HH ULBA with the JRB quilts

saimyoji
01-04-2006, 21:21
real thin microfiber socks picked up at Wallyworld. Without which I blister like a slab of bacon on the sun. BTW I'm not an UL hiker, but these socks weight next to nothing.

mweinstone
01-04-2006, 21:30
burdon lifted apon touching the A T on my birthday 3/ 4/ 06 ?.....negetive one billion tons. black diamond ion headlamp?......... .8oz

Seeker
01-06-2006, 15:05
burdon lifted apon touching the A T on my birthday 3/ 4/ 06 ?.....negetive one billion tons. black diamond ion headlamp?......... .8oz

marching forth on March 4th, eh? pretty neat!

No Belay
03-08-2006, 20:28

Might be true but you can't use the lexan for an emergency tent stake like you can the Ti....Yea I'm ashamed to admit I did it, but it worked.

wilderness bob
03-08-2006, 22:57
Aqua-mira for treating the water. Ounces instead of pounds (no filter carried). Protection instead of taking a risk of not treating at all. Many hikers last year sent their filters home and switched to Aqua-Mira. Costly however, it lasts a long time. It may take a few minutes to clean, you mix the two chemicals and wait 7 minutes to activate, put in water and wait 20 minutes until you can consume, so what! Walk the 20 minutes if you can not wait, do two quarts at a time to drink along the way. every pound counts in the long run. See you up the trail, WB (class of 05)

KirkMcquest
03-09-2006, 00:07
The Miox water treatment, also weighs ounces, and all it needs is some water and a few pebbles of rock salt( which lasts a long time)

Just Jeff
03-09-2006, 03:09
And if the water is cold it takes like 4 hours to decontaminate it.

map man
04-25-2006, 21:44
My favorite lightweight gear now are two mismatched silnylon stuff sacks that I use for waterproof mittens during the day and as vapor-barrier style socks on really cold nights. I got the idea when I was considering buying the "gram weenie" silnylon sock-mittens from Dancing Light Gear. I realized I was about to pay 22 bucks (with shipping) for something I already owned. The only difference between my tube-like stuff sacks and the DLG product was that they had drawcords at the cuffs instead of elastic.

It's true that the stuff sack that came with my tent is gray and comes all the way up to the elbow and the stuff sack that came with my Micropuff jacket is wine colored and just barely covers my hand to the wrist, but when I'm walking down the trail in a cold rain I don't care. And that look has got to be pretty much the definition of hiker chic, doesn't it?

Bblue
04-25-2006, 22:42
Mapman I like your style.

Rambler
04-26-2006, 11:11
Ditto Map Man. One cold wet snowy day my hands got quite cold and the felt mittens soon became soggy. My hands were crying out for your invention! I found a pair of MSR mitten shells, but they were like $40.

Also, do not underestimate not only the waterproofness, but the weight savings from silnylon stuff sacks. I made a large one that replaces the need for garbage bags or compactor bags to line your pack. Also, check out even lighter (in weight and color) .7 oz. silnylon similar to Granite Gear white sacks:

http://thru-hiker.com/MaterialDetail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=MG139&subcat=Coated+Ripstop

DawnTreader
04-26-2006, 11:58
My Gossemar Gear Fingertip toothbrush and GG Lightrek Hiking Poles..<3 ozs. per!
JRB quilt..

Sir-P-Alot
04-26-2006, 13:57
I would have to say my favorite piece of lightweight gear is toilet paper, even though it is a luxury item, I still carry it.

gaul
04-27-2006, 11:26
Frogg Toggs!

A hiker said I look like I just came from surgery. Ok, they're not GQ.

But completely windproof, rainproof. No condensation inside. Very breatheable.

GNR
05-01-2006, 16:30
Marmot Ion windshirt and ID Sil Poncho...the poncho is the best piece of gear I've ever used, light or heavy.

TACKLE
05-01-2006, 17:54
A Go-lite umbrella for $20. You can walk more comfortably in pouring rain and stay relatively dry(heavy winds are the problem). It weighs 9 ozs.,is useful rain or shine especially going to the privy on a rainy day,and keeps those knats out of your eyes.Also you could lighten your load by going with the much lighterweight emergency rain gear (I used Frogg Toggs).

Rift Zone
05-03-2006, 00:20
Black Diamond Beta Lite (http://www.bdel.com/gear/beta_light.php) (the sil-nylon version of the Beta Mid)

Stock weight= 19 oz.

With a panel of no-see-um mesh along the perimeter, it makes for an ultra-light, ultra-bold, 2 man that will keep pesky bugs and weather at bay. I have yet to see ANYTHING that offers similar space, protection from bugs and shelter from adverse weather within the same weight class. It rocks.

Buckles
05-03-2006, 23:06
My Trangia alcohol stove. Made of brass. Very light, but stronger than aluminum (less likely to get crushed and better conductivity). But the real benefit is the screw-on top, that lets you save any unused fuel in the stove.

Traction
05-03-2006, 23:18
my CROCS! and my ipod nano. :banana

Buckles
05-04-2006, 09:04
How do you recharge an iPod Nano on the trail? I have one and the recharging method is via USB through my laptop. I'd really like to know!

Toasty
05-05-2006, 14:35
There are rechargers that work by plugging directly into a wall socket -- so no need to use a computer. You could just wait to get to a hostel or motel to recharge. There is also a battery pack that hooks directly onto the iPod. I think it requires 4 AA batteries. And finally, I have seen a solar recharge unit that I think weighs about 5 ounces. It unfolds like a fan to collect the rays. I think all these gizmos are on the Apple iPod site.

krazyvan
05-07-2006, 13:16
My newly aquired Gatewood Cape. 11oz rain cape and fully enclosable shelter.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-07-2006, 14:44
A 19 oz 10' x 12' sil-nylon tarp. This thing provides enough covered / truly sheltered space to make it possible for the female dino to backpack even with the serious limits on her abilty to get up and down. We usually tarp over a sizable rock or downed tree to have a place for her to sit while cooking, washing, dressing. It also makes a cozy nook for dinos to retreat into during serious rainstorms that make the female dino retreat from slippery rocky trails due to the unremitting risk of having a serious fall. We know it is huge by ultralight standards, but oz for oz it is the most versatile and useful piece of equipment we own.

DavidR
05-11-2006, 09:53
I have changed my mind since I initially answered this question. Now it is deffinately my Nunatak Gear Arc Ghost. This sleeping bag is the best I have every used...hands down!!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-11-2006, 10:59
The Arc Ghost (http://www.nunatakusa.com/Sleeping_Bag_Ghost_Blanket.htm) is sweet. I may see if I can incorperate the idea of "tight and cozy (at least on my side) into the double sleep system I'm making.

Twofiddy
05-30-2006, 22:36
Best light weight gear piece... my camera memory stick.

Captures the memories of my hike so when I am back in SUBURBIA I can stare any my computer and dream about being out in the wilderness.

longshank
05-31-2006, 11:08
A full size mosquito net for sleeping in a shelter or without a tent. It's proven itself priceless time and time again.

BDT
06-11-2006, 18:54
My golite poncho/tarp. Love the versatility.

SGT Rock
08-21-2006, 01:08
My Trangia alcohol stove. Made of brass. Very light, but stronger than aluminum (less likely to get crushed and better conductivity). But the real benefit is the screw-on top, that lets you save any unused fuel in the stove.

Actually thermal conductivity values (higher is better)

Silver - 247.87
Copper - 231
Gold - 183
Aluminum - 136
Tungsten 100.53
Brass - 69.33
Cast Iron - 46.33
Titanium (6AL-4V) - 7.2 (what those crappy titanium alcohol stoves are made out of)

These are some common metals. Anyway, aluminum has twice the heat transfer conductivity of brass. Thought you may want to know.

Also, tests show the more alcohol you have in the container, the more fuel is used to achieve the desired temperature since there is more fuel mass to heat to vaporization point. The more extra fuel that is in your Trangia, the more extra fuel you need to achieve the same results. You would be more efficient to only put in the amount of fuel you need for a desired meal to cook than you would be to fill the thing up and then re-seal it after you are done.

Anyway, thought you might want to know the real deal and be more weight efficient. You would be smarter to leave the cap and simmer thing off and just carry the burner and a fuel bottle.

Footslogger
08-21-2006, 08:33
[quote=SGT Rock]Also, tests show the more alcohol you have in the container, the more fuel is used to achieve the desired temperature since there is more fuel mass to heat to vaporization point. The more extra fuel that is in your Trangia, the more extra fuel you need to achieve the same results.
======================================

Good input Rock ...I didn't know that. Coincidentally, I typically use 1 ounce of alcohol in my Trangia, so I was already getting optimum performance. But I'll remember that for future reference.

'Slogger

SGT Rock
08-21-2006, 13:41
That is why I am here LOL ;)

Wolfpaw
07-14-2007, 14:22
9oz golite ion backpack, hyperlite hammock1lb 80z , patigonia r2fleece 7.4 oz

Monkeyboy
07-16-2007, 23:18
How do you recharge an iPod Nano on the trail? I have one and the recharging method is via USB through my laptop. I'd really like to know!

I've made a recharge unit out of an Altoids can and a radio shack battery pack.

Pretty easy.....runs on four AA batteries.

PM me if you want a link to the build.

Monkeyboy
07-16-2007, 23:18
Just whatever you do, don't pack it on an airplane!

Quoddy
07-17-2007, 07:25
Overall I guess it would be my TarpTent Contrail at 24.5 oz.

Mucci36
07-18-2007, 09:02
It would have to be my Coleman F1 stove.

Madmax
08-04-2007, 20:28
My "just in case system" - The Gatewood Cape and a cheap 10 oz supermarked fleece picnic-blancket makes wonders with a piece of mosquito net and my homemade SUL-stove system, all packed in a Norwegian army waistbag :sun

boarstone
09-03-2007, 21:28
Hammock...moskito traveler 160z

pure_mahem
09-23-2007, 20:31
My New Balance 607's (the lightest shoes that have ever fit my feet) $65 @ www.nbwebexpess.com (http://www.nbwebexpess.com)
My ferrocerium rod $10 @ www.ferrocerium.com (http://www.ferrocerium.com)
And cottonball vasaline firestarteres - I made them myself

shelterbuilder
09-24-2007, 15:42
A 19 oz 10' x 12' sil-nylon tarp. This thing provides enough covered / truly sheltered space to make it possible for the female dino to backpack even with the serious limits on her abilty to get up and down. We usually tarp over a sizable rock or downed tree to have a place for her to sit while cooking, washing, dressing. It also makes a cozy nook for dinos to retreat into during serious rainstorms that make the female dino retreat from slippery rocky trails due to the unremitting risk of having a serious fall. We know it is huge by ultralight standards, but oz for oz it is the most versatile and useful piece of equipment we own.

I have to agree with you FD; I also have a tarp that's about the same size and I love it. It not only provides acres of covered space for my old hammock system (homemade, from 25 years ago, before hammocks were "fashionable"), but, if you go to ground, it can be pitched MANY different ways to provide solid shelter for 2 people (or one person and a well-behaved dog).

kofritz
09-24-2007, 16:29
i'm a geek hiker...i like the looks of the ipod nano w/ video......

Lilred
09-24-2007, 17:11
I answered this question in 2004. My answer remains the same. My homemade alky stove. Still using the same one. :)

Bluehaus71
09-26-2007, 03:20
My favorite would have to be my homemade Red Bull soda can stove and my homemade cat tarp made from $1/yd 1.1 silnyl.

KarmaGurl
10-13-2007, 03:34
I'm a newbie to the boards, not a newbie backpacker....I have to say my favorite gear is my Double Rainbow Tarptent by Henry Shires....I like to have a bit of extra room, and at 2.5 lbs total, you can't beat it for a 2 man tent!
Another favorite piece of gear is my 2.5lb sub zero down sleeping bag that I use for high mountain backpacking by REI. Nothing like snuggling into a warm bag at night! For its rating, it truely is a lightweight piece of gear. And it packs down to about the size of a loaf of bread in its own compression sack (not stuff sack).
Last but not least, my little bit of comfort, my Exped down sleeping mat. 2.8" inches of pure comfort at the same weight a Thermarest ultralight pad weighs, and oh so much more comfort! Gotta love it! For us older folks, it just makes good sense. It also packs smaller than a Thermarest.
Peace!
KarmaGurl

rafe
10-13-2007, 04:03
Last but not least, my little bit of comfort, my Exped down sleeping mat. 2.8" inches of pure comfort at the same weight a Thermarest ultralight pad weighs...

Not quite. Your Exped's 1/2 lb heavier than a Prolite 3. Look it up. ;) And welcome to Whiteblaze. :welcome

warraghiyagey
10-13-2007, 15:26
Inflatable beaver.

JAK
10-13-2007, 16:03
I would say my sylnylon poncho/tarp is my favourite light weight gear.
It is one of the old ones, only 4'x8', weighing only 9-10oz.
Also because I have had it so long, and it was cheap. That counts alot.

Any single piece of gear is only good if it works for you within your system, meaning the rest of your gear, and how you use in in the climate and terrain you hike in. The sylnylon poncho/tarp works for me because it enables me to use the rest of the gear the way I do, and it in turn is enabled by the other gear. The other gear that work well with the sylnylon poncho/tarp include wool layers, polyester fleece layers, cheap light nylon wind layers, a full sized blue foam pad, and a gortex bivy that is rather heavy, but solid. I've been meaning to replace the gortex bivy with something like a single sheet of tyvek taped to the blue foam pad on one side.

Quoddy
10-13-2007, 16:09
My carbon fiber adjustable poles at 6.4 oz per pair, from Titanium Goat. The Leki's have been in the closet since getting them. During a brief period of madness I sold my previous favorite, a TT Contrail.

JAK
10-13-2007, 16:21
Blue foam pad is also a favourite, because they are so cheap and light.
They are bulky, but warm, and a full sized one eliminates the need for a ground sheet. Of course I have been though more than one of those, so I am fond of blue foam pads in general, but not any one in particular, like I am with my poncho/tarp.

gaga
10-14-2007, 10:35
my favorite piece of lightweight gear is a light: Glo-toob fx , it`s in my pictures

WILLIAM HAYES
10-14-2007, 10:49
walmart greasepot I bought for 7 bucks it has lserved me well from ga thru va
Hillbilly

modiyooch
10-14-2007, 12:36
bandana --walmart

Uncle Silly
10-14-2007, 14:58
openback, noname, 1920's era banjo. 4 & 1/4 lbs -- truly a lightweight, if not ultralight, banjo. no batteries required, and it plays about anything i can think of. :D

russb
10-14-2007, 16:11
10ft piece of quarter inch nylon rope. Cost is about $1.

Summit
10-29-2007, 13:01
Without a doubt, hands down . . . my ThermoRest Chair. Weighs only ounces and turns the ThermoRest sleeping pad into the most comfortable, back theropy device after a long day's hike that you can imagine! ;)

L Tee
10-30-2007, 11:10
only being 150 pounds

SunnyWalker
06-06-2008, 17:53
No discussion, no hesitation, my HH is it. No more hard ground, for some time now :-)

warraghiyagey
06-06-2008, 19:04
Tampons

Incahiker
06-06-2008, 19:31
Tampons

I know that these have uses in camping other then, uh, hygiene. What were they again? You can use them as fire starter right? What else?

Wags
06-07-2008, 00:56
military in iraq currently carry them to stuff in gunshot wounds

4eyedbuzzard
06-07-2008, 01:45
Earplugs. And nosebleeds.

jlb2012
06-07-2008, 08:28
oil lamp wicks

Incahiker
06-07-2008, 09:03
Earplugs. And nosebleeds.

Stuff a tampon in your ear as Earplugs? LOL, that would look hilarious with the strings just sticking out, I would need to get a picture of that. I guess I would rather use real earplugs, they weigh less too.

mrc237
06-07-2008, 09:53
I just love twirling my pasta with my Ti fork and spoon. MSR Hyperflow outstanding WF.

4eyedbuzzard
06-07-2008, 12:51
Without a doubt, hands down . . . my ThermoRest Chair. Weighs only ounces and turns the ThermoRest sleeping pad into the most comfortable, back theropy device after a long day's hike that you can imagine! ;)

Big Agnes has a new Cyclone SL chair thing out that works with theirs and other mfg's 20" wide pads. Weighs 6 oz according to BA - I weighed one at just over 5 oz on a postage scale. Pretty comfy. I found it worked best with their inflatable pad, but it's pretty good with a thermorest as well. When using a closed cell pad I found it helps to put a hiking pole or stick across the bottom end where your knees are - keeps the sides from pinching in as you lay back in it.

Boing that it isn't a pound or more, it's a definite, "Hmmm, is the extra 6 oz worth the comfort?":-? I'm thinking that at 6 oz it's an item that has to be considered for trips where the camping experience outweighs making miles or reducing weight. For a backcountry fishing or camping trip it's a definite must have.

River Runner
06-07-2008, 20:25
Big Agnes has a new Cyclone SL chair thing out that works with theirs and other mfg's 20" wide pads. Weighs 6 oz according to BA - I weighed one at just over 5 oz on a postage scale.

That IS getting down to the weight where it's really interesting...

Roots
06-07-2008, 20:33
I just love twirling my pasta with my Ti fork and spoon. MSR Hyperflow outstanding WF.
TOTALLY agree with the Hyperflow. I also LOVE my Caldera cone.

Incahiker
06-07-2008, 21:20
Does that hyperflow get the water clean and tasty like the MSR Miniworks with the charcoal?? Thats a 1/2 pound I can save right there!

Connie
06-08-2008, 21:38
My favorite lightweight gear is my Outdoor Research Bug Bivy. I can use it practically anywhere. The mosquito netting will keep out no-see-ums. In fact, it keeps all the "crawlies" out. I sleep better knowing that no snakes or bugs will be in the sleeping bag with me. It is black and dark gray, for "stealth" camping. If it starts to rain, if located on well-drained soil, I flop it over like a big burrito and sleep on. I prop up a corner to breathe. In the morning, I shake it out, roll it up loosely and tie it on outside my pack.

My REI Ti Ware Spork is also a delight: every time I use it I admire it's simple elegance.

That's two items.. If I had to choose, it's the Outdoor Research Bug Bivy for overall performance and practicality.

Wags
06-09-2008, 01:24
my john rambo knife. best piece of multi purpose gear since duct tape

fiddlehead
06-09-2008, 01:43
my john rambo knife. best piece of multi purpose gear since duct tape

not sure what a "john rambo knife" is but if it's what i think it is, what do you use it for? (i carried a ginzu paring knife and my last 2 thru's were with a guy who didn't carry a knife at all)

Anyway, my favorite piece of lightweight gear is my "hummingbird" by Feathered Friends. It's getting worn out now though. (13 years old)

mrc237
06-09-2008, 07:06
Does that hyperflow get the water clean and tasty like the MSR Miniworks with the charcoal?? Thats a 1/2 pound I can save right there!

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!

the goat
06-09-2008, 08:36
without a doubt, my favorite piece of lightweight gear is my golite anvil.

Alligator
06-09-2008, 10:09
without a doubt, my favorite piece of lightweight gear is my golite anvil.Would that pair well with their smelter? I'm looking to leave home my pots and stakes.

Wags
06-09-2008, 10:18
not sure what a "john rambo knife" is but if it's what i think it is, what do you use it for? (i carried a ginzu paring knife and my last 2 thru's were with a guy who didn't carry a knife at all)
(13 years old)

didn't you watch any of the rambos?

mudhead
06-09-2008, 12:08

My favorite is plain old chicken flavor.

the goat
06-09-2008, 12:11
Would that pair well with their smelter? I'm looking to leave home my pots and stakes.
that's a great idea, you'd save $$$ in the long run too.....i'm always losing tent stakes.

sirbingo
06-10-2008, 08:46
Homemade SuperCat alky stove - free

MSR Hubba tent - 3lbs $159.00

Chance09
06-10-2008, 18:18

Completely off topic but did you see the last Rambo where he draws his bow on the guy and they get into a standoff? By far the best part in that movie.

Wags
06-11-2008, 00:35
i actually just got it from netflix :D enjoyed it at the theater enough to watch it again. he has quite a number of bad ass comments in that movie

Jim Adams
06-11-2008, 00:43
my brain!
comes as a package, doesn't weigh much and is useful in many ways...however you do get what you pay for...mine wasn't very expensive!:)

geek

freefall
06-11-2008, 00:52
Personally:
My homemade stove: .5 oz and boils 2c in 8min. at 10k ft.

With a full pack (5 days of food)including 4L of water...am I UL at @ 35 lbs...?? No ? Didn't think so.