PDA

View Full Version : Blankets?

Kelleelynn
07-23-2010, 23:10
My biggest challenge here is I have never tented outside on an extremely cold night. I could always get away with using a sleeping pad and a small blanket. I can't wait til this winter to start experimenting and see what works in the comfort of my backyard lol

Anyhow in the mean time I am impatient and was looking for some feedback.

The problem is I cannot stand sleeping bags. It is just way too constricting for me. Would I be better off bringing a sleeping bag and keeping it unzipped or bringing a blanket? The hiking "quilts" I have seen remind me more of sleeping bags, when I think of a quilt, I think of an Amish Quilt; warm and cozy but obviously too heavy for backpacking.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a lightweight cozy blanket that will keep me warm or am I stuck with sleeping bags?!

Nean
07-23-2010, 23:48
My biggest challenge here is I have never tented outside on an extremely cold night. I could always get away with using a sleeping pad and a small blanket. I can't wait til this winter to start experimenting and see what works in the comfort of my backyard lol

Anyhow in the mean time I am impatient and was looking for some feedback.

The problem is I cannot stand sleeping bags. It is just way too constricting for me. Would I be better off bringing a sleeping bag and keeping it unzipped or bringing a blanket? The hiking "quilts" I have seen remind me more of sleeping bags, when I think of a quilt, I think of an Amish Quilt; warm and cozy but obviously too heavy for backpacking.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a lightweight cozy blanket that will keep me warm or am I stuck with sleeping bags?!

I rarely zip my bag. They cut bags better these days for women and some even stretch. Some trade out their bag in summer for a fleece blanket.

grayfox
07-24-2010, 07:25
When I was a kid we used to make bedrolls and cowboy camp in the back yard.

Here's how: http://www.ehow.com/how_4464957_make-camping-bedroll.html

This is not a lightweight solution but it is time tested.

When the smow flies, a mummy bag with lots of down fill can come to look pretty good to even the most clostrophobic.

mister krabs
07-24-2010, 07:37
In what way is a completely unzipped sleeping bag constricting? When you've hiked 15 miles in the cold, you won't be imagining that you are constricted for the 40 seconds that you are awake after you lay down.

Hoop
07-24-2010, 09:41
Kellelynn,

Check Jacks R Better down quilts - several models & styles, light, pack small, very efficient. Costy, but you get what you pay for.

Old Hiker
07-24-2010, 11:09
Field jacket liner (real one) + poncho liner.

johnnybgood
07-24-2010, 12:19
Have you tried a rectangular sleeping bag ? They are definitely more bulky than the mummy but the weight of a 20*bag Down can still be sub 3 lbs.

Check out the Campmor bags- They are inexpensive and good quality bags.
www.campmor.com (http://www.campmor.com)

Mountain Wildman
07-24-2010, 13:25
I've never tried a quilt outdoors but in over 25 years I've always used a sleeping bag that could be fully zipped open or closed, If it is warm out, use as a blanket, If it is a cooler or cold night, Being able to zip up completely and contain your body heat will be the difference between a comfortable nights rest or shivering all night. Whether you use a quilt or a sleeping bag is up to you but I recommend having the ability to completely close up the quilt or bag. A blanket would work but you would have to roll yourself up in it on a cold night and your movement would be more restricted than a sleeping bag which will have at least some room to move, Rectangular bags as mentioned above will give you the best of both worlds, Room and comfort.

Tinker
07-25-2010, 00:07
In what way is a completely unzipped sleeping bag constricting? When you've hiked 15 miles in the cold, you won't be imagining that you are constricted for the 40 seconds that you are awake after you lay down.

If someone has never used anything other than blankets they might feel constricted (since "blanket temperatures" are a lot warmer than most sleeping bags are comfortable in).
My suggestion is to get a semi-rectangular bag (like the reasonably priced ones at Campmor) and use a jacket with a hood in cold temperatures. A semi rectangular bag can be unzipped to whatever extent you want and they have plenty of foot room for all but the most hyperactive foot thrashers.

JAK
07-25-2010, 03:54
In summer you can get away with blankets. A light nylon or polyster shell over the blanket helps on cooler nights. Also important is to ensure your head and neck are covered, and of course some sort of ground insulation.

For spring/fall and especially winter, blankets just get progressively heavier and heavier, and are great for the backyard, or even car camping if you can afford that much wool and have room for the bulk, but they are too heavy for travelling on foot. It was done up until about 100 years ago but they made fires and lean-to shelters.

Your best bet might be an oversized sleeping bag in winter. The over-size will be heavier and less efficient, but it might work better for you. For fall/spring and summer also, perhaps an oversized quilt. Easier to DIY than a bag also. Don't forget ground insulation. Closed-cell pads are warmest for their weight. Inflatable pads add comfort.

JAK
07-25-2010, 03:56
Also, if you take someone with you then you can bring a quilt made for two, and then kick the other person out on all but the coldest nights. ;)

Appalachian Tater
07-25-2010, 09:01
I have the same problem Just get a sleeping bag that unzips all the way to use like a blanket, like a Marmot Helium, then if it is cold you can zip it up. I can't stand being constricted but after a long day hiking you are exhausted go to sleep fairly quickly. If it is cold you will be glad to be snuggled up in a zipped up bag. You don't want an oversized bag with too much empty space in it because then your body has to heat that air. You want a good fit that is not over-snug. Sleeping in clothing is actually more of a problem for me than sleeping in a mummy bag.

Panzer1
07-25-2010, 12:57

Yea, If you want to hike in the dead of winter your stuck with sleeping bags.

Panzer

STICK
07-25-2010, 14:26
So do you not like the quilts designed for backpacking?

I have recently gotten my first quilt. It is a summer quilt (40*) but I love it. I love the room it offers, I can even use it to cover my son laying next to me if needed. But if needed I can use the light weight straps to secure the quilt around me and the pad, or just myself if needed. It has a snap button to close the top around my neck and even a cinch cord to pull it closed more if needed, keeping the warmth all locked in. Also, my Jag Bag silk liner works great with the quilt. The liner is cut generously so I am still not confined under my quilt.

I have recently bought a Marmot Helium 15* down sleeping bag and have plans to buy a Western Mountaineering Antelope or Kodiak as my true winter bag, however, I am now seriously thinking about one of the Nunatak quilts instead. The Nunatak quilts are slightly more expensive than the already expensive WM bags, but they are much more versatile and are lighter weight, which IMO would justify the slightly more expensive cost.

If you are a DIY type of guy (or gal) you could always buy the materials and make the quilt / bag / blanket to meet your exact specifications. (Of course Nunatak is a cottage shop so you can give them a call and tell them what you want and they will make it for you, of course at a price...)

Good luck.

Jim Adams
07-25-2010, 14:56
I usually throw down a 1 1/2" TheraRest on the snow or bare ground and then lay directly on the matt and put my feet into the footbox of my fully unzipped 0* down bag and pull the bag over me. I've never felt constricted, can roll around under the bag, am totally comfortable and I am toasty into the low teens. I do need to zip it up and use it as a sleeping bag if it is near 0* though.

geek