PDA

View Full Version : Ideal Thru-hiker Pack

abbyflutterby
07-24-2010, 02:54
My apologies for posting so much. :o

I've never owned a proper pack before, and would like my first AT purchase to be just that. Any recommendations? I've used Kelty packs before... they're alright. I don't want to spend more than $250 but would like something decent, light, rugged, waterproof, preferably with lots of pockets/compartments. Would you experts recommend an internal or external frame? I've heard both sides of the argument and am still unsure. Thanks so much, sorry for being a nag here on the forums. :rolleyes:

Rocket Jones
07-24-2010, 05:49
Some would suggest that you wait until you have all your other gear and then buy a pack to fit it, the idea being that too big a pack tempts you to fill the extra space with unneeded gear.

Whether you do that or not, go to an outfitter and try on packs. They'll be able to measure your torso correctly to figure out the size you need. Next, they'll fill packs with weight so you can fiddle with the adjustments, wear them around the store, and get a feel for how it fits you.

There are many great packs out there, but one person's perfection is another's torture device. I love my REI Flash 65. Had to take back the medium and get a large instead (my torso is right on the borderline between the two sizes).

TinaLouise
07-24-2010, 07:19
I have 3 different packs and they all work but they are very different from each other. (MountainSmith, GG Vapor Ki, and an Aarn Featherlite) Each pack can hold different volumes and different total weight. Depending on what kind of trip I'm taking, how much gear I'm taking, I'll choose which pack I need. If you can carry your gear into an outfitter's store and load it into different packs, then walk around the store with it. This will help a lot for you to find a pack that will work for your gear and let you know if the pack will be comfortable with your gear. The outfitter should (they better!!) measure you to see which packs will fit your back first. Then they should be able to point out which packs you should try out. If they just look at your gear and say, hey you need this pack and they don't measure your back.... well, it's gonna be a LONG day!!

garlic08
07-24-2010, 09:07
Good pointers so far. Ditto all that.

You'll be very lucky to find the perfect pack first try. Lots of hikers even change in the middle of the thru hike. Some even change after the first 30 miles. There's a reason there are so many choices out there. It's like asking a forum of people what the best car is.

For what it's worth, you don't have to spend that much on a pack. If you can get your load down to below 30 pounds max, there are some good inexpensive ($120) frameless packs from Gossamer Gear, SixMoon Designs and others. My AT pack cost me $80 and I'm still using it after a couple more long hikes.

Wrangler88
07-24-2010, 09:51
I have a Golite Jam 2 and saw several people using it when I was on the AT. As long as your base weight isn't too high, this is a good choice based on your requirements. It's got a lot of pockets (which isn't always a good thing). And it's sort of water resistant in a light rain. I wouldn't go without a liner or pack cover though.

You can get one on the Used Gear Forum for pretty cheap pretty regularly. If not here, then on another website. One can be had for under a hundred dollars pretty easily I would think.

J5man
07-24-2010, 10:05
I have one of these (Golite Jam) also and was amazed how how versatile it is. If you really watch what you pack, you can use it year round (I am still learning and trying to get leaner on each trip). I started out with a heavy duty Kelty that weighed almost 5 pounds empty! Plus it had a ton of storage space that I filled up! My goal for this summer is to do a weekend trip with the Golite Ion. You will get a hundred different opinions (all with merit) and whatever you get, you wil probably change it after a year or so .............which is half the fun of backpacking - always changing and trying new pack lists!

ridgeviewer
07-24-2010, 11:41
my son and i are going on the at trip thru the smokies in sept for 5 days. am looking at the external frame janssport carson pack. any insight on this pack or suggestions on others. thanks

Wrangler88
07-24-2010, 12:01
I have one of these (Golite Jam) also and was amazed how how versatile it is. If you really watch what you pack, you can use it year round (I am still learning and trying to get leaner on each trip). I started out with a heavy duty Kelty that weighed almost 5 pounds empty! Plus it had a ton of storage space that I filled up! My goal for this summer is to do a weekend trip with the Golite Ion. You will get a hundred different opinions (all with merit) and whatever you get, you wil probably change it after a year or so .............which is half the fun of backpacking - always changing and trying new pack lists!

The Ion is awesome. I sold mine a while back because someone offered me $50 for it used. It's a great pack. I did the 100 Mile Wilderness with it and it worked out pretty well.

Mountain Wildman
07-24-2010, 12:12
$250 puts you right in the range of a ULA pack like the Circuit or Catalyst, The Granite Gear Meridian or Ozone packs are popular as well, And the Osprey Aether or Atmos are well rated. I have the Mystery Ranch Trance XXX which is an excellent and well made pack but more than 250 and not as popular as the others, probably because of the price and you can't buy it at an outfitter. Waterproof packs are well over $250 and there are not too many to choose from, I think Arc'teryx makes a couple, Most people just use Dry Sacks and/or a Pack liner like the Sea to Summit Ultra-sil Pack liner or trash bags or trash compactor bags to line their packs. Outdoor Research has a couple of waterproof packs but they are only around 2000 cubic inches.

http://www.ula-equipment.com/packoverview.asp

http://www.granitegear.com/products/overview/backpacks/ultralight.html

http://www.ospreypacks.com/Packs

Duff
07-24-2010, 12:55
ULA Catalyst - triple crown proven and still taking whatever I dish out, Currently on the River-to River trail in Illinois.

Dogwood
07-24-2010, 14:13
Although not totally up to date, I would take a look here on WB for some AT thru-hike pack recs in the AT gear Forum.

You will get a wide range of opinions on which is THE perfect AT thru-hike backpack, but I DO NOT think you need to spend $250, need more than 4200 cubic inches, and I would not get a pack weighing more than 3 1/2 lbs. This is for an AT thru-hike during typical 3 season thru-hiking.

There is a good chance as you get further into your thru-hike you will downsize your gear and possibly want to go to a smaller volumed pack, which are usually lighter in wt.

OK here are some options - Granite Gear, Osprey, Gossamer Gear(GG), Six Moon Designs(SMD), Ultra light Adventures(ULA), GoLite, Mountain Laurel Designs(MLD), etc. There are many others. There are several light to UL pack options made by these companies that work well in thru-hiking conditions. Don't spend $250 on a Kelty pack!

I would go with internal or virtual frame/framesheet to haul the load closer to my body and because they tend to be lighter in wt.

I don't know how adamant you are about the WP requirement in a pack but those kind of packs tend to be a bit heavier and more expensive than non WP packs. IMO, the few WP packs I've seen on trails are not truely WP in heavy prolonged all day or multiday downpours like you will probably encounter on an AT thru-hike. Unless money isn't an issue, I would keep the pack expenditure definitely $200 or under, not get a WP pack(use a pack liner/pack cover), and use the savings to splurge on a better quality UL sleeping bag. However, if the WP option is a must ArcTeryx makes, and maybe McHale, some of the finest packs in terms of durability, crafstmanship, options, and yes waterproofness. Both of these gear companies will have you shelling out the $250 and possibly MUCH MORE for a WP backpack! IMO, not really necessary to have a WP pack while thru-hiking the AT though.

If you like a lot of pockets make sure the pack you choose has stetchy fabric side pockets, hip belt pockets(at least as an add on option), and a back pocket. Some packs also have internal pockets for greater organization.

Whatever you do, go to a reputable knowledgable outfitter, possibly several, to get properly fitted and sized for a pack for what you plan on hiking. Try on many packs, preferably loaded with the same approximate max wt that you wil be on the trail hauling.

If you can get out to some trails, even if for just day hikes, start looking at and asking questions about what others are using in a pack. It will greatly help in your decisions. .

Dogwood
07-24-2010, 14:21
Another pt that I've pondered with a WP pack is that I like to carry non-WP items like maps, clothing, sunglasses, bug dope, sunscreen, daily snacks, camera, MP3 player, etc in outside pockets of a WP pack. Often, with WP packs it's usually the main compartment and back pocket which are WP not side or hip belt pockets which means any items in those non-WP pockets will be exposed to wetness or have to be removed from those non-WP pockets when it rains heavily.

Rocket Jones
07-24-2010, 14:33
I completely missed the 'waterproof' requirement in the original post. In my opinion, you'd be way ahead if instead you spend your money on a pack cover, a pack liner and dry bags for inside the pack to protect your sleeping bag and clothes.

A link to Jim Wood's article on keeping things dry (http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/DryGear/index.html) gets reposted occasionally, this seems like a good time.

play_outside
07-26-2010, 09:24
It depends on how long you want to go between resupplying. I'm planning to go 10 days between resupplying and will also be carrying dog food, thus I am going to get the Medium Gregory Denali Pro, which gives 6500 cubic inches of space because I'll need more room for 10 days of people food and dog food.

10-K
07-26-2010, 09:35
Some suggest getting your stuff first and your pack last.

I think it might be better to do it the other way around. Get a recommended pack such as the ULA Catalyst (I'm biased, we own 4 of them....) and then no matter what your gear cannot exceed the capacity of the pack.

Sort of a way to force one not to carry too much stuff.

FWIW, I recommend the Catalyst also because it is considiered a "big" pack by ultralight standards and will allow a new hiker to carry a few things they think they simply cannot do without.

Rick500
07-26-2010, 09:48
I really like my Osprey Aether 60 (not waterproof; I use a compactor bag for a liner), but I do have two nitpicky issues with it: the main compartment only loads from the top so it's frequently necessary to pull a bunch of stuff out of the pack to get to other stuff; and I can't reach things in the side pockets without taking the pack off.

Those may sound like big problems, but I've used the pack quite a bit now, and everything else about it is so good (comfort, adjustability, etc.) that I can overlook that couple of shortcomings. Something to ponder, though, before you decide to buy one.

Feral Bill
07-26-2010, 11:50
Lots of good suggestions above. I'll repeat that waterproof is neither needed or likely to happen in a pack. True waterproof packs are specialized gear which might not suit general backpacking.

Since you are in Flagstaff, visit the several outfitters and try on likely candidates, heavily loaded (if thy can't do this for you walk away) for an hour or more in the store. If you buy at REI and decide, after a trial trip or two, that the pack does not suit you, just return it and try again.

Please remember, that fit is very individual. The best pack for one person could be a nighmare for you.

turtle fast
07-26-2010, 13:05
Another ULA Catalyst vote...really a good thru hiker pack made by folks that know long distance hiking. The ULA is like a Ferrari versus a Jansport Toyota.

pyroman53
07-26-2010, 14:57
Arizona Hiking Shack here in Phoenix usually has some nice packs. A different selection from what you'll see at REI (and not too far away from the PV REI location). They used to carry Granite Gear (which is one of the packs you might consider). At least you can try em on for fit before you buy. I got my GG Nimbus Ozone there. It fits me and my style well. Nice people, too. They supposedly have a web site but its not working right now.

Although I'm far from an expert on the subject, I second the suggestion that your pack not weigh more than 3 lbs. Anything more than that is too much. Plenty of good options.

Arizona Hiking Shack
11649 North Cave Creek Road
Phoenix, AZ 85020-1330
(602) 944-7723

Many Walks
07-26-2010, 23:36
We have several packs to choose from depending on the trip, but our go to packs have become the Osprey Exos 58. They meet your requirements and are comfortable. It is a pack worthy of your consideration. They generally sell for $219, but are currently on sale at Mountaingear for $159.97
http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/product/product.asp?item=214465&cmpn=70130&N=0&sendroicid=a7c3d385-8673-4c79-8de9-03a183d7226d&sendroikwd=214465

Razor
07-27-2010, 01:17
Also let me caution you about carrying 10 days of food. There are so many resupply points along the trail that 3-4 days is all you need to carry and many sections 2-3 is real easy.That amounts to 14+ lbs It may not seem much on the computer screen but on a six month journey droping an average of 10 lbs a day will increase your miles and make the journey more pleasent. ( and I will not discuss the compounding effect of decreasing weight, lower pack weight= lower ttl weight)

Maddog
07-27-2010, 04:06
ula catalyst

skinewmexico
07-27-2010, 10:04
ULA Circuit. My Catalyst is so big I rarely use it.

10-K
07-27-2010, 13:01

I'm about ready for a smaller pack too but back in the day I could barely get everything I thought I had to have in my Catalyst.

IMO, the Catalyst makes a perfect first pack.

bigcranky
07-27-2010, 13:26

I just got a ULA Ohm because my Starlite was so big I couldn't use it in the summer. (I'm keeping it for winter trips.) The specs on the Ohm look small, but it's got exactly the capacity I need for 3-season hiking.

play_outside
07-28-2010, 17:40
Also let me caution you about carrying 10 days of food. There are so many resupply points along the trail that 3-4 days is all you need to carry and many sections 2-3 is real easy.That amounts to 14+ lbs It may not seem much on the computer screen but on a six month journey droping an average of 10 lbs a day will increase your miles and make the journey more pleasent. ( and I will not discuss the compounding effect of decreasing weight, lower pack weight= lower ttl weight)

Are you saying there will be access to grocery stores every 3-4 days? I also would prefer to stay relatively close to the trail. I don't want to have to hike too far off the trail to find a grocery store.

Dogwood
07-28-2010, 17:55
I second much of what Razor stated, Play Outside. Most of the time on the AT you will be able to resupply every 3-5 days. However, that does not mean there is a Supermarket at every road crossing every 3-5 days either. What most thru-hikers do, as I'm sure you are likely to do, is stick your thumb out! OR, carry 10 days worth of your own food and dog food. Better yet, get a dog pack and let the dog haul some of it's own food!

Turtle Feet
01-27-2011, 18:47
Are you saying there will be access to grocery stores every 3-4 days? I also would prefer to stay relatively close to the trail. I don't want to have to hike too far off the trail to find a grocery store.

Try to pick up a copy of the 2011 Northbound A.T. Guide (the green cover). I know you said you're leaving next week, see if David (the author) could expedite you one, or try an overnight from amazon (well worth the investment). TheATGuide.com

All your mileage as far as food, resupply, lodging, road crossing, water sources, tent sites, shelters, elevations, it's all in there - right on the page you need it to be on (no hunting and pecking thru an index).

If you can't get on before you leave - you're first resupply stop will be Neels Gap, about 30 miles in, so depending on if you're doing the approach trail or not, it's about a 4 day hike. I'm not sure, but they may have copies of the guide there. Honestly, it will be the best $20 you will spend on this trip! It will save you way more than that in overpaying for lodging, or heading off in the wrong directions for a resupply. Just get it.

Oh, and btw, you can order them "unbound" as well. That's what I've done and that way I'm not carrying 2000 miles worth of guide all at once.

BTW - where in WI are you from???

tf

CrumbSnatcher
01-27-2011, 19:11
EXTERNAL;):cool:

Bags4266
01-27-2011, 19:11
Old thread I hope he figured it out in 6 months

CrumbSnatcher
01-27-2011, 19:15
he's planning a 2011 thruhike
whats it going to be:-?
myself i don't really have a preference between internals:(
and externals:);):cool::D:rolleyes:

George
01-27-2011, 19:16
The ideal pack for a hiker would contain every whim item that could be desired and ride on another's back within easy reach, now the pack to carry would be much different

takethisbread
01-27-2011, 20:26
There is no perfect pack for all people, but by far the most popular pack for thru hikers is ULA. I use it, I would never use another. Their are super light and hold what you need, and have the best customer service in the business and do lots of custom mods for u.

If u are thinking of thru hiking, it's sounds as if you aren't all that experienced, u might want to go on a shakedown hike with some folks here, where the mileage is reasonably long (50 miles?) and you can test your gear over several days and work out the kinks.

Neels Gap is a two day hike from Springer either way and you can resupply and make gear/bag adjustments there.

leaftye
01-27-2011, 21:01
Another pt that I've pondered with a WP pack is that I like to carry non-WP items like maps, clothing, sunglasses, bug dope, sunscreen, daily snacks, camera, MP3 player, etc in outside pockets of a WP pack. Often, with WP packs it's usually the main compartment and back pocket which are WP not side or hip belt pockets which means any items in those non-WP pockets will be exposed to wetness or have to be removed from those non-WP pockets when it rains heavily.

I agree. I've tried applying DWR treatment to my external mesh pockets to no avail. :banana

Seriously though, if my main compartment is not big enough to protect all my gear, then the pack is not big enough. I view the external pockets merely as a way to move things outside of the main compartment for convenience while hiking.

maybe clem
01-27-2011, 21:14
Golite Gust. Shame they don't make it anymore.

flemdawg1
01-28-2011, 12:06
There is no perfect pack for all people, but by far the most popular pack for thru hikers is ULA. I use it, I would never use another. Their are super light and hold what you need, and have the best customer service in the business and do lots of custom mods for u.

If u are thinking of thru hiking, it's sounds as if you aren't all that experienced, u might want to go on a shakedown hike with some folks here, where the mileage is reasonably long (50 miles?) and you can test your gear over several days and work out the kinks.

Neels Gap is a two day hike from Springer either way and you can resupply and make gear/bag adjustments there.

I saw 100s of thruhikers on the AT last year, very few had ULAs. Most had Gregorys and Ospreys. ULA is a good pack though.

soulslosher
01-28-2011, 22:31
Honestly, you can look at the pack choices until you're blue in the face.. Just do some research on what features you might like on your pack. Things like the number of pouches, how much padding (Gregory is awesome for their padding), gather all of your gear first!! You might find that when you're seriously shopping for a pack that if it lacks just one thing that you require, it's a deal breaker.. regardless of what everyone else is saying about it..

FWIW.. I have a Gregory Z55