PDA

View Full Version : Rt 2 to Inn @LT in mid September

sharky
07-24-2010, 10:00
I'm doing the AT/LT section nobo beginning the 14th of September and I've never been to Vermont so I'm not sure what to expect as far as weather, crowds, foliage and wildlife. I've been to NH in early September but I know things will be different in Vt.

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Deadeye
07-24-2010, 15:42
Not much different between VT and NH weather-wise. Vermonters do smell better, though.

Kerosene
07-24-2010, 16:13
I started from Inn at Long Trail, heading north on the AT, on 9/16/2000. While each year is different, you'll likely be a few weeks early for peak Fall foliage. You're likely to run across small- to medium-sized groups of undergrads out for short trips, especially over the weekends. While we never encountered a full shelter, you should still be prepared to tent. There may very well be a few NOBO thru-hikers, but they'll be lagging the crowd. You're more likely to see a bunch of SOBOs who flip-flopped up to Katahdin and are now hiking south to finish up.

sharky
07-24-2010, 23:12
What type of temps should I be expecting? Is my one luxury item being my Patagonia down sweater overkill?

I love fall weather where I can hike in a long-sleeve t-shirt. Day-time temps in the low 60s and nights in the low 40s to high 30s?

Also, this probably sounds silly but what the hell do you do about the Porcupines? I've never dealt with giant animals covered in needles.

Deadeye
07-24-2010, 23:28
Normal mid-late September weather in the mountains is about what you've described, but can get a good bit warmer and/or colder, down into the 20's on a good clear night. I pack a down vest in September.

Porkies are slow and won't bother you, but they will chew anything salty (boots, pole grips, pack straps) so don't leave things on the ground. You're not likely to see one unless you're staying at a shelter. There, you'll be able to see where they've chewed the wood (often to get at spilled salty soup or the like)

Tinker
07-24-2010, 23:50
You may see me heading south. I'm starting sobo from Canada the 2nd week in Sept.

Tinker
07-24-2010, 23:53
The AT/LT in VT tends to be a little more muddy than other spots I've hiked. I sectioned the whole trail in the 1990s. The Green Mts. are green for a reason.

sharky
07-25-2010, 00:02
I bought a small pack towel with the intention of whipping off the sweat from my Z65, hiking pole handles, the inside of my boots. If I keep my boots in my tent and my pack wrapped up under a hefty bag and pack cover, and hang it on a tree are they just going to chew through that? I'm more worried about the Porcupines than any other animal there.

From my last experience in NH I'm afraid I will fall in love with New England in the fall yet again. How clean is the water out there?

Tinker
07-25-2010, 00:11
I bought a small pack towel with the intention of whipping off the sweat from my Z65, hiking pole handles, the inside of my boots. If I keep my boots in my tent and my pack wrapped up under a hefty bag and pack cover, and hang it on a tree are they just going to chew through that? I'm more worried about the Porcupines than any other animal there.

From my last experience in NH I'm afraid I will fall in love with New England in the fall yet again. How clean is the water out there?

I would treat the water (but I always do).
I never saw a porcupine on the Long Trail (just dead ones on the side of the road).
Hanging stuff from a tree probably wouldn't deter a porkie - they are excellent climbers. If you have a length of rope it would be better to make a hanging line (like a clothesline but higher) and hang your gear from the middle of it.

Kerosene
07-25-2010, 10:08
I suggest you treat all your water. Many hikers use Aqua Mira for its convenience and weight relative to a water filter.

Some of the LT shelters have a veritable chorus line of porkies at night! Kid Gore Lean-to was the worst. Wiping off your sweat with a towel probably won't diminish their interest very much. Either keep your pack in your tent with you, or hang it with your food bag.

You could probably get by without your down sweater. I brought my Montbell UL down sweater on a mid-September hike through the Whites a few years ago and only used it once. They're comfy though!

sharky
07-25-2010, 11:21
Would keeping my pack in my vestibule work or would that just attract them closer to my tent? My tent is like a coffin (REI Quarterdome 1).

Jeff
07-25-2010, 12:20
Would keeping my pack in my vestibule work or would that just attract them closer to my tent? My tent is like a coffin (REI Quarterdome 1).

Absolutely not. What Kerosene recommends is right on.