PDA

View Full Version : sleeping pad

fresh
07-24-2010, 22:57
Looking for a sleeping pad I saw some people using. No idea what it is called. Looked like the material of an emergency blanket. Anyone know what I’m talking about?

STICK
07-24-2010, 23:08
NeoAir?

http://www.rei.com/product/781096

sharky
07-24-2010, 23:53
Probably the NeoAir which just might double as a life raft. The Big Agnes Insulated Aircore is just as comfortable but much more durable.

STICK
07-25-2010, 01:09
I do not own either of the two mentioned (NeoAir & BA IAC) but I do have an Exped SynMat which is pretty close to the IAC. I agree that these types of pads are comfy, however for me the horizontal chambers are more comfortable than the vertical chambers. The horizontal chambers will feel more like a flat surface rather than laying on air tubes, which is why I am getting the NeoAir (hopefully soon). Plus the fact the the NeoAir is way lighter is a plus.... Of course I will still take my SynMat for those really cold trips.

Just saying. :)

grayfox
07-25-2010, 03:13
Is this foam/mylar laminate what you are looking for?

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___37224

canoehead
07-25-2010, 07:20
The Big Agnes Insulated Aircore is just as comfortable but much more durable. I agreeeee.

mister krabs
07-25-2010, 11:35
I'm a big fan of POE pads, they offer a lot of bang for the buck. The Pacific Outdoor Equipment Ether Elite (http://pacoutdoor.com/sleeping-pads/view/ether-elite-6)is similar in weight to the neo-air for quite a bit less money. I've had good performance from my POE pad.

Luddite
07-25-2010, 11:46
The Big Agnes Insulated Aircore is just as comfortable but much more durable. I agreeeee.

Of course its more durable, it weighs twice as much.

johnnybgood
07-25-2010, 15:29

Of course its more durable, it weighs twice as much.
Agree on both accounts. The only negative about the BA Aircore is I've found it is difficult to stay on especially when using a Nylon shell summer bag so UNDER inflating the pad works better for me.

superman
07-25-2010, 15:48
Which pad is it that crinkles loudly when the person roles over on it? A guy tented next to me and I barely slept at all. I've considered replacing my old thermarest but I don't some noisy pos pad.

Mountain Wildman
07-25-2010, 16:10
Which pad is it that crinkles loudly when the person roles over on it? A guy tented next to me and I barely slept at all. I've considered replacing my old thermarest but I don't some noisy pos pad.

The NeoAir is the one that sounds like you are sleeping on a potato chip bag with the crinkling sounds, I have the Large and the fitted sheet from Thermarest, The NeoAir with the sheet and my sleeping bag on top almost eliminates the noise completely.
On my last 2 trips I did not even notice the sound.

superman
07-25-2010, 17:26
The NeoAir is the one that sounds like you are sleeping on a potato chip bag with the crinkling sounds, I have the Large and the fitted sheet from Thermarest, The NeoAir with the sheet and my sleeping bag on top almost eliminates the noise completely.
On my last 2 trips I did not even notice the sound.

OK, so I don't want anything to do with the neo air. Is big agnes the next best pad for weight and comfort. I'm currently using a 3/4 thermarest.

Luddite
07-25-2010, 17:34
I thought the Neoair was going to sound like a potato chip bag but I didn't care because of how light it is. When I got it and set it up I don't think its noisy at all.

Mountain Wildman
07-25-2010, 18:58
OK, so I don't want anything to do with the neo air. Is big agnes the next best pad for weight and comfort. I'm currently using a 3/4 thermarest.

Big Agnes and Exped seems to get good reviews, I have not tried either, Backpacker Magazine has given a good review on the Nemo Cosmo Mattress with built in foot pump, I Have the Nemo Meta 2P Tent which is awesome but I will stick with my Large NeoAir mattress since I already dished out the 100 plus dollars on it.

Mountain Wildman
07-25-2010, 19:03
I thought the Neoair was going to sound like a potato chip bag but I didn't care because of how light it is. When I got it and set it up I don't think its noisy at all.

I agree, 19 ounces for a 25 X 77 X 2 1/2" mattress is okay by me, The only time it makes noise is when you move on it, If I am sleeping, I roll over in a half asleep and half awake mode so the sound does not bother me, Someone sleeping nearby might be bothered like the post from Superman mentioned but it doesn't bother me, And if there are any animals nearby, It probably scares the heck out of them and they take off running which is also okay by me.:sun

STICK
07-25-2010, 19:47
I like my Exped (SynMat ~ not DownMat) and it is comfortable, but I must admit it is quite different from something like the Therm-A-Rest Prolite 4 or the REI Lite-Core 1.5 which is what I had prior to the SynMat. The ProLite and the Lite-Core feels flat, more so like my mattress on my bed, where as the Exped feels like laying on a blow up tube. Of course I don't over-inflate the mat, but I do blow it up till it is full. My favorite part of the pad is that it is cut rectangular cut rather than mummy, makes the pad feel so much bigger. (And the only reason I got the SynMat is because it was on sale for $39!)

Just laying on the NeoAir in the store, it feels more comfy to me than the SynMat or the IAC simply because the baffles run horizontal and are not as large as the ones on the SynMat or the IAC. This design gives the pad more of a flat feel so for me it is more like laying in a real bed.

I had no problem with the sound of the NeoAir (again, in the store). So, I am looking forward to cutting half the weight off of my current sleeping pad, the extra room that I will have inside my pack (or the smaller pack I can use) and actually improving in comfort!

Sunshine Tami Jo
07-27-2010, 23:30
I have a neo air that I haven't had a chance to use yet, but I have two concerns: one is the durability. The other, which was an issue raised by someone in one of these forums, is that it doesn't insulate well against a cold ground. They recommended I might try a thin pad under it. Use of a pad might help resolve both issues, but of course I'm trying to keep my gear to a minimum. Thoughts?

Mountain Wildman
07-28-2010, 01:04
I have a neo air that I haven't had a chance to use yet, but I have two concerns: one is the durability. The other, which was an issue raised by someone in one of these forums, is that it doesn't insulate well against a cold ground. They recommended I might try a thin pad under it. Use of a pad might help resolve both issues, but of course I'm trying to keep my gear to a minimum. Thoughts?

The insulation rating is 2.5 which may not be extremely warm, you also have the tent floor under you and I believe you listed a tyvek ground cloth in your other post and you have the sleeping bag, since you didn't mention winter camping where the temps could go below zero, I feel the NeoAir plus everything else will be okay for March or April weather in Georgia, I have the NeoAir Large with my Feathered Friends 25 degree winter wren bag, my Nemo Meta 2 tent and the matching Footprint, I have basically the same set up as you in terms of insulation and I think I will be fine. If you blow up your NeoAir and lay directly on the yellow top you will feel it reflecting your body heat back at you immediately, I tried it.:sun

Mountain Wildman
07-28-2010, 01:06
Oh, I forgot, I also have the Thermarest fitted sheet for my NeoAir and the repair kit which covers the durability issue, If it loses air, I can fix it on the spot. No different really than any air mattress and Thermarest is a quality product.

Sunshine Tami Jo
07-28-2010, 01:25
Oh, I forgot, I also have the Thermarest fitted sheet for my NeoAir and the repair kit which covers the durability issue, If it loses air, I can fix it on the spot. No different really than any air mattress and Thermarest is a quality product.
Thanks Wildman. I hate to be cold, but I think I'll be alright with what I have too. I don't have the sheet, tho...think it's worth it?

Mountain Wildman
07-28-2010, 07:38
Thanks Wildman. I hate to be cold, but I think I'll be alright with what I have too. I don't have the sheet, tho...think it's worth it?

The sheet does add extra weight to my pack but it provides a little extra protection for the mattress and it almost eliminates the crinkley noise and is softer than the yellow plastic top, I figure it will be more comfortable during the hot months when I don't want my sleeping bag anywhere near me, No point sweating all over my bag when the sheet can just be washed and dried when I am in trail towns doing laundry etc... It's not a full sheet though, It covers the top completely but the bottom has elastic straps that hold it on the mattress. At 11 ounces, it is heavier than I'd like but worth it to me for the extra comfort.

Trailbender
07-29-2010, 03:30
I go with the blue Thermarest ccf pad. Simple, don't have to worry about getting holes in it or anything. The sides are pretty chewed up on mine, as I have been using it my whole thru hike.

Grampsb
07-29-2010, 05:42
How about Kooka Bay?

Sunshine Tami Jo
07-29-2010, 12:47
I'm going to stick with my thermarest neo air. My only decisions now are whether to go for the sheets, and maybe whether to get an ultra-thin foam pad to put inder it to protect it and add additional insulation against a cold ground.