PDA

View Full Version : Ward Leonard sighting in Manchester, VT

Jeff
07-25-2010, 08:59
Several of my guests reported seeing Ward Leonard in Manchester Saturday July 24, 2010. He approached folks wearing a backpack, asks when they started their thruhike, does the math and then says "I did the whole trail in 60 days....and I hiked the AT 10 times!!".

I never pictured WL bragging about his accomplishments ???

He is now on some sort of long distance bike ride and was last seen pedaling out of town.

Pedaling Fool
07-25-2010, 09:15
With all the cameras around no one ever has it when bigfoot shows up.

Nean
07-25-2010, 14:11
Several of my guests reported seeing Ward Leonard in Manchester Saturday July 24, 2010. He approached folks wearing a backpack, asks when they started their thruhike, does the math and then says "I did the whole trail in 60 days....and I hiked the AT 10 times!!".

I never pictured WL bragging about his accomplishments ???

He is now on some sort of long distance bike ride and was last seen pedaling out of town.

No, that sounds like the Ward I know. Glad to hear he's still out there- so to speak.;)

Wolf - 23000
07-27-2010, 01:08
Only the old time hikers remember Ward Leonard. He's been of the trail now for around 15 years now. I'm glad to hear he is back out there.

Wolf

Lone Wolf
07-27-2010, 06:39
Only the old time hikers remember Ward Leonard. He's been of the trail now for around 15 years now. I'm glad to hear he is back out there.

Wolf

over 20 years. i met him in 89 in georgia

TOW
07-27-2010, 07:38
I met Ward in 2001 and hung out with him for the night and really like him. It is good to hear he is still on an adventure..........

jersey joe
07-27-2010, 09:18
10 thru hikes is mind boggling.

Tenderheart
07-27-2010, 09:58
10 thru hikes is mind boggling.

You're right! And the fact that he did one in 60.5 days as an ordinary thru hiker is over the top. The ultra runners who have daily support, and sleep in a Winnebago every night only complete the distance in a few days less. This is unbelievable.

litefoot 2000

Wolf - 23000
07-27-2010, 14:02
over 20 years. i met him in 89 in georgia

It might have been 20 years for you but he has been on the trail for several years afterwards. I believe the last time I ran into Ward was 94. We talked for a couple of hours. He was lost not being able to through hike any more. I for one would like to see him again.

Wolf

Nean
07-27-2010, 16:13
He also did the trail 3x the same year he set the record.;)

Jack Tarlin
07-27-2010, 19:20
This is kind of cool news.

I'll be hiking in Vermont this week and it'd be great to see him.

And if he should get to Hanover, he can hang out here as long as he wants.

Compared to some members of the Class of '10, I think he'd be fun to have around. :D

(And yeah, that was a joke. Every hiker we've seen or entertained this past week and a half in Hanover has been great).

WalkingStick75
07-27-2010, 20:39
Ran into WL in 93 or 94? All I got was a grunt as he walked past me, so I personally think it is nice if he is at least talking to others now. I do understand where he is coming from and wish him all the best.

weary
07-28-2010, 10:08
I chatted with Ward twice in 1991, while doing the Maine section of the AT with a 9-year-old. Ward was attempting to do the trail four times in one year, I think. If I recall correctly, he managed three and a half. He was one powerful hiker -- perhaps still is.

The story was that he had started in Georgia. Walked to Maine. Walked back to Georgia. Passed me on this second hike to Maine. And once again on his way back to Georgia, which he didn't achieve until the next year.

I chatted with him briefly. He had a longer conversation with my grandson, who hadn't yet mastered the refinements of writing, so he insisted on talking with every hiker he met, whether they wanted to talk or not.

Weary

hellomolly
07-28-2010, 10:26
I chatted with Ward twice in 1991, while doing the Maine section of the AT with a 9-year-old. Ward was attempting to do the trail four times in one year, I think. If I recall correctly, he managed three and a half. He was one powerful hiker -- perhaps still is.

The story was that he had started in Georgia. Walked to Maine. Walked back to Georgia. Passed me on this second hike to Maine. And once again on his way back to Georgia, which he didn't achieve until the next year.

I chatted with him briefly. He had a longer conversation with my grandson, who hadn't yet mastered the refinements of writing, so he insisted on talking with every hiker he met, whether they wanted to talk or not.

Weary

I wonder how someone pays for something like that... even on a tight budget, that sort of hiking trip must be so expensive...

weary
07-28-2010, 11:33
I wonder how someone pays for something like that... even on a tight budget, that sort of hiking trip must be so expensive...
When I asked Ward if he expected to make it all the way back to Georgia, he replied. "I don't know. I have financial and emotional problems," or words to that affect.

Weary

jlb2012
07-28-2010, 12:03
the last reported Wars Leonard sighting I had heard before this was back in early 2001 : http://thebackpacker.com/trailtalk/thread/7092,-1.php

greenmtnboy
07-28-2010, 16:20
I feel like the guy was given a raw deal. I don't know the whole story, mainly that he was a hiking legend, rather ornery, and was finally nailed for sexual harassment, etc.. Being a hiking machine and subsisting on the typical trail junk food without a caregiver is a recipe for disaster. In the days of the tough, tough hikers, Ward would have probably adapted much better, and might have found a tough woman to put him in his place. In the day of yuppie, candie-ass provocative women, it is understandable--not excusable though, to have men stupidly make passes at these women. Personally, when I see such women who I have absolutely no interest in, I have to check myself not to tell these teenie boppers to put on more clothes.

I'm sure the guy has been through the mill, this is what they do to guys these days for sexual harassment. There is an ad going around for "First Alert" where a woman says goodbye to her boyfriend for the night, and then an intruder breaks in. Fortunately she has "First Alert". Hmmm, gosh. If you were to turn the genders around, where a guy feels the need for "First Alert" security, and is frightened by an intruding woman with a gun, then you might have gender parity.

I hope Ward gets to tell his story one of these days. The strongest men can be brought down by the legal or pharmacological system.

Skidsteer
07-28-2010, 17:03
Okaaayyyy.......

Lugnut
07-28-2010, 17:39
Huh? I don't get it. :-?

mudhead
07-28-2010, 18:04
Ran into WL in 93 or 94?
All I got was a grunt as he walked past me,
That can be a two paragraph conversation around here.

so I personally think it is nice if he is at least talking to others now. I do understand where he is coming from and wish him all the best.

I also wish him well. Never met him, but it sounds like he likes the woods.

mudhead
07-28-2010, 18:06
I also wish him well. Never met him, but it sounds like he likes the woods.

That was my two paragraph thing inside the quote. However I did that. grunt.

Jeff
07-16-2012, 06:38
It's 2012 and Ward was again seen moving south in Vermont this week. As usual he is "critiquing" hikers choices of equipment, but hey...he does know a thing or two about hiking.

Spokes
07-16-2012, 09:33
Would love to get an inkling of what's in the Ward Leonard gear list....... :)

The Kisco Kid
07-16-2012, 12:04
Good to hear that Ward's still around. Ran into him in '95 just north of Manchester Center. Heard he got kicked out of Hanover for harassing the sorority girls in Hanover.

Tom Murphy
07-16-2012, 14:42
http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/news/x1896000034/Concord-man-takes-a-hike-into-record-books

Spokes
07-16-2012, 15:02
So what does he do to eek by when he's not hiking?

Anyone know?

Tom Murphy
07-16-2012, 15:49
http://www.missourireview.com/content/dynamic/view_text.php?text_id=930

Heald
07-16-2012, 15:59
So what does he do to eek by when he's not hiking?

Anyone know?

He's been institutionalized more than once. So I suppose the "State" picks up that tab. From talking with him I believe his parents are well off financially. He told me that both his father, and his grandfather were U.S. congressmen. But then again he told me some other stuff that stemmed from nothing more than paranoid delusions on his part.

lemon b
07-16-2012, 18:49
I think he is tailgating that kid (maybe 35 year old ) that studders alot. They both eat alot too. A whole lot.

Driver8
07-16-2012, 22:11
I saw Ward Leonard drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.
His hair was perfect.

Spokes
07-16-2012, 22:17
I saw Ward Leonard drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.
His hair was perfect.

....... I'd like to meet his tailor.

rhjanes
07-17-2012, 09:15
I saw a hiker with a Chinese menu in his hand......

Driver8
07-17-2012, 16:51
He's the hairy-handed gent who ran amuck in Kent;
Lately he's been overheard in Rutland ...

Deadeye
07-18-2012, 00:03
I hike. Ward Leonard hikes. He appears to have more time to hike than I, and does it a bit faster. Nobody gives a rats patootie if they see me hiking, and I don't give a rats patootie if I see Ward Leonard hiking.

And BTW, what's left of my hair is perfect, too.

Driver8
07-18-2012, 01:44
I hike. Ward Leonard hikes. He appears to have more time to hike than I, and does it a bit faster. Nobody gives a rats patootie if they see me hiking, and I don't give a rats patootie if I see Ward Leonard hiking.

And BTW, what's left of my hair is perfect, too.

Precisely my point. ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDpYBT0XyvA

Garlic
07-18-2012, 02:28
I met Ward on my 1994 thru and he was quite moody to say the least. i miss the old days on the trail.

daddytwosticks
07-18-2012, 07:19
....well he's just an excitable boy.....:)

WingedMonkey
07-18-2012, 10:42
I don't think Ward Leonard is afraid to spend the night alone in the woods.

max patch
07-19-2012, 10:26

I couldn't agree more.

mirabela
07-20-2012, 20:25
Stay away from him. He'll rip your lungs out, Jim.