PDA

View Full Version : backup gear

Megapixel
07-25-2010, 12:59
For our 2011 thru, I have compiled a list of backup gear, but one piece in particular that I could put some money back into "the hike" envelope is a 2nd tent. Should i hold onto this, or keep it as a backup? I have a TT we will be using on the hike, and my backup is never really used for anything; neither is freestanding so no real major differences between the two... just one collecting dust short of a major tear in our primary tent.

Llama Legs
07-25-2010, 13:44
Unless there is a really good market for a piece of spare gear, I hang on to stuff for loaner gear and options for unusual conditions. With that said, I've also gotten great enjoyment out of giving away gear to newbies.

Megapixel
07-25-2010, 13:49
I guess my question would be be phrased as has anyone out there really had a need for a backup tent to be shipped to them on a thru?

Kerosene
07-25-2010, 14:00
I guess my question would be be phrased as has anyone out there really had a need for a backup tent to be shipped to them on a thru?There's always the possibility of gear failure, but you might be just as well served by having an outfitter fix your tent when you get to town. If it can't be easily repaired, then you buy a light tarp and get by with it for the rest of your trip.

As Llama stated, I keep my "backup gear" to loan out or use if my family ever decides to join me (it's been a long wait). I sold a bunch of stuff on WB a year ago and haven't missed any of it.

Mountain Wildman
07-25-2010, 16:13
Unless you need the money from selling the extra tent, It couldn't hurt to keep it until your Thru is completed.

bigcranky
07-25-2010, 18:41
I guess my question would be be phrased as has anyone out there really had a need for a backup tent to be shipped to them on a thru?

Plenty of hikers have replaced gear -- including tents -- on a long hike. However, it's usually easy enough to get to an outfitter, or to call one and have the new gear shipped to a post office or hostel a few days up the trail.

Since I couldn't decide in advance which particular piece of gear will need to be replaced, if it were me I would rather have the cash in reserve than a spare tent at home. But that's just me.

Megapixel
07-25-2010, 19:30
Plenty of hikers have replaced gear -- including tents -- on a long hike. However, it's usually easy enough to get to an outfitter, or to call one and have the new gear shipped to a post office or hostel a few days up the trail.

Since I couldn't decide in advance which particular piece of gear will need to be replaced, if it were me I would rather have the cash in reserve than a spare tent at home. But that's just me.

Good point. Thanks to everyone who have responded as well.

sbhikes
07-26-2010, 14:26
I had to get a replacement tent while on the trail. I didn't have one at home, though. The gear-maker loaned me one while he fixed my tent. The gear-maker was smarter than me about how to get a tent to me fast. If I had used my own spare tent it would have been a longer wait.