PDA

View Full Version : MSR Hubba Rain Fly

troglobil
07-25-2010, 15:37
I have a question about my rain fly. After sitting in the closet for a year I took the tent out of the stuff sack and discovered that the rainfly is sticking to itself on the underside. I let it sit and air for several days and it has not helped any. Suggestions?

smgravitt
07-25-2010, 16:11
I have a Hubba Hubba and have the same problem but unfortunately I have not figured out a way to fix it yet. If I happen across a remedy Ill pass it on. Hope someone on here has a suggestion.

troglobil
07-25-2010, 17:08
from MSR FAQs it sounds like this happens if stored to tight. I just set it up and soaked it with the hose. It is still waterproof.

superman
07-25-2010, 17:20
In the ol days we used to put baby powder on gear when storing it.:-?

Luddite
07-25-2010, 17:31
I've had a Hubba for years and this has never happened to mine. Maybe try getting it wet.

DapperD
07-25-2010, 17:47
I have a question about my rain fly. After sitting in the closet for a year I took the tent out of the stuff sack and discovered that the rainfly is sticking to itself on the underside. I let it sit and air for several days and it has not helped any. Suggestions?This exact thing happened to my brand new 2007 MSR Hubba. I had posted a thread about it just like you have:http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42601 I had left it in a hot closet all of one summer and when I decided I wanted to assemble it the rainfly was sticking to itself pretty good. I was able to basically seperate it by hand by a steady deliberate effort, and I began to believe I had caught it just in time. It sounds as if the waterproof membrane(whatever it is) is vulnerable to hot enclosed temperatures. It sounds as if with yours ,if you can't get it seperated, the heat has gotten the better of it and you will now unfortunately be in the market for a new one:(. Good Luck

troglobil
07-25-2010, 19:11
thanks for the link. I see one person had the same issue and was able to possibly get a replacement with the warranty as long as no mildew was on the fly. will contact Cascade designs.

troglobil
08-06-2010, 14:39
GOOD NEWS: I emailed Cascade Designs about the problem and they told me to send it to them for a replacement. Only problem now is the new one is baby poop yellow instead of orange.

slugger
08-06-2010, 16:18
Discovered this just 2 weeks ago on a hike.... It was hot and he sticky stuff is the seam sealer. It should be noted that this experience quickly taught me that it is no longer water proof... I got wet at about midnight and was not super happy...

sherrill
08-06-2010, 16:22
I also posted a thread about this a couple of months ago. Called Cascade Designs, got an RA, and they replaced it under warranty. The new fly is yellow.

springerfever
08-06-2010, 17:29
Baby powder is the answer. Sprinkle liberally and dust with your hands. This works particularly well with Seamgrip after it dries thoroughly.

Cameldung
08-07-2010, 08:30
I recently pulled out my good old Moss Big Dipper, set it up and noticed that the same thing has happened to it. The 'sticky issue' is only on certain 'panels' and the fly. I don't have much call for the tent where I am now and it has been packed up for almost 10yrs. I guess I will give it the baby powder treatment and see what happens. I'd hate to lose the tent. I can seam seal before using again.

Bare Bear
08-13-2010, 14:34
Any hike gear or dive gear should be inside the house stored and not stuff sacked. That really kills sleeping bags but sometimes you can recondition them by putting it into a 'air only' cycle in a clothes dryer. NO HEAT.
I am glad the manufacturer made good on their product for you.

kanga
08-13-2010, 14:40
tents, if you are going to store them in their sacks for more than a few weeks or so, should be cleaned, dried completely, and then talced.
if your tent is already sticky, take it out, set it up, wipe it down, dry it, then talc it and put it back up. don't hassle the manufacturer. it's not their fault you neglected your gear.

troglobil
08-15-2010, 17:34
don't hassle the manufacturer. it's not their fault you neglected your gear.

I have several tents all treated the same way. This is the only one affected like this. My Hubba Hubba is still good as new. I wrote Cascade designs and asked what I could do about the fly, they told me to return it to them. Obviously CD recognizes this as a problem and gladly replaced the item. They don't have a problem why should you?

slugger
08-17-2010, 11:55
Yeah my friend called about his Hubba Hubba and it's so common that the rainflys are back ordered until mid October based on a best guess of the guy on the phone who said they where on a ship somewhere. Let me know if the baby powder works...

kanga
08-17-2010, 14:06
I have several tents all treated the same way. This is the only one affected like this. My Hubba Hubba is still good as new. I wrote Cascade designs and asked what I could do about the fly, they told me to return it to them. Obviously CD recognizes this as a problem and gladly replaced the item. They don't have a problem why should you?
never said i had a problem. where did you get that from?

Gray Blazer
08-17-2010, 14:26
:rolleyes: .................

troglobil
08-18-2010, 15:44
never said i had a problem. where did you get that from?
I guess you missed it in my fiirst qoute, so here it is again:

don't hassle the manufacturer. it's not their fault you neglected your gear.

kanga
08-18-2010, 15:58
That's not me having a problem. That's me telling you in plain English that if the fly had mildew on it then it got wet. I seriously doubt the manufacturer sent it to you wet. Which means that it happened in your possession. Which means it's your responsibility (I know, hard to understand for some) that your tent has mildew, not the manufacturers. Is it clearer now?

sherrill
08-18-2010, 16:19
That's not me having a problem. That's me telling you in plain English that if the fly had mildew on it then it got wet. I seriously doubt the manufacturer sent it to you wet. Which means that it happened in your possession. Which means it's your responsibility (I know, hard to understand for some) that your tent has mildew, not the manufacturers. Is it clearer now?

He never mentioned mildew until he quoted the warranty policy from CD.

I had the same problem with my Hubba Hubba fly and I take care of my equipment. They replaced it without any hassle. That's what a warranty is for.

JERMM
08-18-2010, 16:20

no and it never will be for some.

troglobil
08-18-2010, 16:46
Never said I had Mildew, I don't. I contacted CD for advice and they told me to return item, You call that hassling? Or were you talking to someone else?

kanga
08-18-2010, 20:04
Never said I had Mildew, I don't. I contacted CD for advice and they told me to return item, You call that hassling? Or were you talking to someone else?

I was most certainly talking to you. You obviously don't understand the reason your fly was sticking together. The manufacturer will usually replace your gear when you call and complain even when it's not product flaw because if they didn't they would get a bad customer service rep. That doesnt mean they should be exploited by people who don't store their gear correctly.

sherrill
08-18-2010, 21:12
That doesnt mean they should be exploited by people who don't store their gear correctly.

Read my post above. I stored mine correctly (hung in an inside, temperature controlled closet) and it developed the same problem. Besides, CD says that it can properly be stored in the stuff sack as well. I don't feel like I "exploited" them, I just exercised my consumer right to have a defective product replaced under warranty.

kanga
08-18-2010, 21:20
no and it never will be for some.

Gray Blazer
08-18-2010, 21:54
I store my Hubba Hubba correctly and the fly sticks to itself, too.

Cameldung
08-19-2010, 11:05
Even the outside of stuff sack on mine sticks. I have come to the conclusion that it has something to do with the red fabric. Doesn't do it with any other color. Only tent I have ever had this problem with, and I have others many years older and stored in the same manner right next to this one.

troglobil
08-20-2010, 14:51
you are right, some people never will understand (look in the mirror).
once again slowly:
Stored the same as other tents.

Even other MSRs

Not put away wet

Other people experienced same problem

Called for advice not to complain

troglobil
08-20-2010, 15:20
if you find it necessary, I can add a bouncing ball for you to follow.