PDA

View Full Version : Triple Crown List

perrito
07-25-2010, 19:42
I've looked but am unable to find a list of hikers who've completed the triple crown. Anyone here know of one?

I met a fellow called "Rest Stop" at Culvers Gap in New Jersey and had a short talk with him. He mentioned that he was hiking the AT for the 3rd time and had hiked on the PCT and the CDT. I'm just curious if he actually finished them and is recognized as a Triple-Crowner. He was a really nice fellow.
As he cruised pass me and my daughter, I noticed his calves. They were huge!
Must be nice to be independently wealthy! hehehe

emerald
07-25-2010, 19:55
http://www.aldhawest.org/triplecrown.html

Nean
07-26-2010, 03:32
http://www.aldhawest.org/triplecrown.html

Rest stop is a friend of mine . Was he still w/ Orbit.? Aldha -west is less than honest. Even so- he is a triple.;)

turtle fast
07-26-2010, 13:22
The hiking husband and wife team of Spirit Eagle...Spirit Walker and Bald Eagle are triple crowners. They also have a good website Spiriteaglehome.com

Mags
07-26-2010, 16:06
The list Emerald posted is a good start..but not everyone submits (or in some cases like mine) has had people submit the trails for them.

I suspect there about 150 Triple Crowners for whatever it is worth based on the list posted above and just knowing people. I could be wrong..I could be right. Don't know (or care that much. ;-) ) to be honest.

The real "test" of what the experience of hiking three amazing trails meant for is what you do AFTER the Triple Crown.

For some people, hiking the TC was a way of becoming part of this crazy tribe and they enjoy being part of the hiker community.

For others, thru-hiking was a way to experience the outdoors for months at a time and the time spent in the outdoors is how they spend whatever time they have.

For others, it was a challenge to strive for and accomplish. Time to move on to other challenges.

And for others it was several different reasons.

No reason is bad...but the focuses are different.

perrito
07-26-2010, 18:04
Rest stop is a friend of mine . Was he still w/ Orbit.? Aldha -west is less than honest. Even so- he is a triple.;)

On that trip, 6/25 & 6/26, we also ran into Scout, Skippy, Popeye and Shorts and a few section hikers but no Orbit.

The real "test" of what the experience of hiking three amazing trails meant for is what you do AFTER the Triple Crown.

For some people, hiking the TC was a way of becoming part of this crazy tribe and they enjoy being part of the hiker community.

For others, thru-hiking was a way to experience the outdoors for months at a time and the time spent in the outdoors is how they spend whatever time they have.

For others, it was a challenge to strive for and accomplish. Time to move on to other challenges.

And for others it was several different reasons.

No reason is bad...but the focuses are different.

Agreed. I was just curious about Rest Stop because we'd met him. I wish I could have such freedom. :rolleyes:

Jack Tarlin
07-26-2010, 19:30
150 Triple Crowners?

Wow, that's amazing, tho the figure seems high to me.

But then again, of the many I know, most of them skipped good-sized chunks of the A.T. while "thru-hiking" it, and this is a clearly mapped, marked, and defined Trail.

Most of these folks freely acknowledge this, so it's not like it's a big secret.

One can only wonder how much of the other Trails they actually did. :rolleyes:

But I salute the true triple crowners; it's an extraordinary achievement, and these folks know who they are.

But I have to suspect their true number is much less than a hundred and fifty.

Probably a lot less.

Mags
07-26-2010, 19:57
I wish I could have such freedom. :rolleyes:

You do. We all make choices that influence our life paths. At this point, my life is not setup so I have the freedom I once had to take off for months at at a time...but I have a different type of life I am happy with. I am making that choice. We all can.

re: 150 people

That's a WAG. Don't know (nor care) if it is accurate or not.

That ALDHA-W list is currently down, but it was up to around 120 or so. Maybe it is really closer to 140. Or it is 120. Quite a few don't report themselves.

Also, don't forget, the Triple Crown award is different from the ATC 2000 miler award. The TC folks recognize alternate routes for all trails..including the AT. Again, it is separate from the ATC stuff. Whether that is good or not..well,
see above not knowing and/or caring. :)

RedneckRye
07-26-2010, 20:02
One of my dear dear here in town hiked all 3 trail in the 90's.
He re-hiked the AT in 2001.
Hearing his stories has scared me of thinking of a CDT hike.
Knowing him, he didn't skip a mile, that isn't how he operates.
He's never posted on here or on TrailPlace or TrailJournals, never been to Trail Days, or The Gathering, or ALDHA West.
I think there are far more hikers out there that show up on the radar.
For every Triple Crowner on the list, there are probably at least as many that have never reported a single foot they hiked.
Some folks are just hikers, they don't need to ask how or need to tell others how.

modiyooch
07-26-2010, 21:39
Saw both Rest Stop and Orbit in July in Vermont. I'm sure they were in NH by July15-16th.

jersey joe
07-27-2010, 09:11
How do they get all of the completers together for one picture?

Mags
07-27-2010, 13:47

It's a list..not a photo. Unless they had a short, bald, Italian -looking guy as a stand in for me... :sun

mudhead
07-27-2010, 14:08
I thought you were on a Rogaine program?

jersey joe
07-27-2010, 15:40
It's a list..not a photo. Unless they had a short, bald, Italian -looking guy as a stand in for me... :sun
That aldawest.org link above had photos for the different years of triple crown recipients.

Jester2000
07-27-2010, 16:21

That aldawest.org link above had photos for the different years of triple crown recipients.

Those are photos taken at the ALDHA-West Gathering for that year. You'll notice that not ALL of the recipients are in the photos. '08 for example apparently had 15 people listed as Triple Crowners; there are only 8 of them in the photo.

Mags
07-27-2010, 19:32
I thought you were on a Rogaine program?

Nope..rocking the bald guy/shaved head look... I could grow a mullet, though...that would rock.

Here's two guys who are Triple Crowners and are NOT pictured on the website... (from a wedding this weekend)

Nothing to do with this thread..but damn, hiker trash can look dolled up on occasion. ;)

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs097.ash2/38208_453649580020_563440020_6535870_7307343_n.jpg

jersey joe
07-27-2010, 19:57
Those are photos taken at the ALDHA-West Gathering for that year. You'll notice that not ALL of the recipients are in the photos. '08 for example apparently had 15 people listed as Triple Crowners; there are only 8 of them in the photo.
Makes sense.

Dogwood
07-28-2010, 19:55
Not to get on a sour note and few talk about it or admit it but I ditto EVERYTHING said in Jack Tarlin's above post.

The more I thru-hike the more folks I meet who say they also thru-hiked such and such a trail, but when I pointedly ask some direct questions about their supposed thru-hikes I find what they claim is quite different from what they have actually accomplished!!!

Prime examples are those who I met on the AT in 06. One only hiked to Harpers Ferry but said he hiked the WHOLE AT. Two others decided to skip Pennsylvania because it was too roccky, but yet still claimed to hike the ENTIRE AT. Four decided to aqua blaze on the Shenendoah Rivwer rather than hike Shenendoah NP because they all thought Shendoah NP was "boring." All four still claimed to have thru-hiked the entire AT.

I don't make a big deal about it, but hikers DO exagggggerate. - just a bit sometimes!

Jester2000
07-28-2010, 21:07
I don't bother pointedly asking direct questions because I don't really give a **** what other people do.