PDA

View Full Version : June Thru Hike?

RITBlake
11-12-2004, 20:18
Can I ask why most people seem to start their thru hike in March or April. My buddy and I graduate in May and could be hiking by June 1st giving us 5 months until the end of the October.....Why is that most people tend to start much earlier in the year?

-Blake

Lone Wolf
11-12-2004, 20:21
Cuz they think a giant wall surrounds Baxter Park on 15 Oct. and they won't be able to get in. :)

Lobo
11-12-2004, 20:30
Some folks like to start their thru-hikes early because there are no bugs in the beginning, it is less crowded, it is easier to deal with cold temperatures than hot temperatures while hiking, and they might have commitments in September.

A-Train
11-12-2004, 21:21
One thing to consider is heat. You'll be hiking in really hot humid weather all thru the south and mid-atlantic until you get up to New England/September. And bugs will be there too. If your fine in the heat, well go for it. April and May are two of the best months to hike in (besides all the rain) for the mild temps.

This being said, there is nothing wrong starting June 1st. In fact, were I to hike the AT again, I'd be enticed to start between may and june 1st, knowing now that I can hike the AT in 4 to 5 months pretty comfortably. You'd still have 4.5 months to make it to Katahdin before the park closes for daily use. After that you can still climb Katahdin on good weather days, you just can't legally camp in Baxter Park. This requires either a very long last day or hitching/taxi into Millinocket and back out to climb the mountain. Not major obstacles after hiking 2100 miles. I'd go for it! Lastly, there is always the option of flip-floping should you need to. Have fun

Moose2001
11-12-2004, 21:27
Alex, that 4.5 month schedule might work well for young studs like you!! For us more "mature" hikers, 6 months works just fine!!

Peaks
11-13-2004, 09:08
Can I ask why most people seem to start their thru hike in March or April. My buddy and I graduate in May and could be hiking by June 1st giving us 5 months until the end of the October.....Why is that most people tend to start much earlier in the year?

-Blake

I suspect that most people are excited to get out and start hiking in the early spring. They just can't wait until May.

I'll agree with A-Train. A late April or May start works just fine. The crowds are ahead of you, and by the time you catch up with them, they will be disbursed.

Youngblood
11-13-2004, 09:25
Most folks plan on about six months to hike the trail and want to avoid winter weather in the northeast (starts Octoberish). Most folks also try to avoid winter weather in the southeast (Jan-Feb) and avoid mud and bug season in the northeast (I'm guessing May and June, respectively).

So northbounders usually start in spring and southbounders usually start in summer. Historically, more folks hike northbound than southbound. The ATC has a very good discussion on all this at : http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hike/thru_hike/start.html . I also recall reading some interesting alternative approachs on the ATC's website: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hike/thru_hike/itin.html .

Youngblood

Flash Hand
11-13-2004, 16:34
Most folks plan on about six months to hike the trail and want to avoid winter weather in the northeast (starts Octoberish). Most folks also try to avoid winter weather in the southeast (Jan-Feb) and avoid mud and bug season in the northeast (I'm guessing May and June, respectively).

So northbounders usually start in spring and southbounders usually start in summer. Historically, more folks hike northbound than southbound. The ATC has a very good discussion on all this at : http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hike/thru_hike/start.html . I also recall reading some interesting alternative approachs on the ATC's website: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hike/thru_hike/itin.html .

Youngblood

I plan to say same thing, but Youngblood got here faster than me :D

Flash Hand :jump

walkin' wally
11-13-2004, 19:11
Given a start in mid March can anyone tell me approximately when the hot weather begins as I am heading north? I imagine that it is not the same every year.

A-Train
11-13-2004, 20:21
Wally,

It all really depends on how fast/slow you are hiking and what you consider hot. April days in Virginia can hit 80 degrees, which I considered hot after seeing snow two weeks earlier. Leaving mid march, with an average six month pace, you'd be at Harpers Ferry/PA by mid-June where the temps could be in the 90's, though probably not every day. July in PA, NY and jersey can be very muggy and hot, with averages in the 90's. This is the lowest part of the AT and the least water to be found. Even new england in August can be incredibly muggy and humid and hot. I did a section in CT in late august and it was down right nasty. Then again, by the time you hit Greylock, you're getting back to higher elevations, and New England has lots of water. But, it depends totally on year, speed of travel and what you consider to be hot. You are a Mainer, so 75+ probably feels pretty warm. I tend to think so. I bet the late starting folks certainly get their share of hot temps.

walkin' wally
11-14-2004, 19:37
Thanks A-Train,

I am hoping to go along as fast as I can reasonably go and still enjoy my hike.
I know what you mean about how hot August can be. I am definitely a cool weather person.

RITBlake
11-14-2004, 20:32
thanks for the advice guys... We would prefer to start earlier in the year but we are tailoring our hike to our school situation. Excited just the same!

Gacy
11-14-2004, 22:04
Blake it looks like my team of friends and i will be meeting you in the middle, We too are waiting for school to let out so we can start our thru hike. we are starting in georgia so hopefully we cross paths.
Gacy

Peaks
11-15-2004, 09:04
If you find yourself tight on getting to Katahdin before the weather closes in, then do a leap frog or flip flop.