PDA

View Full Version : Rain Jacket

Mother Natures Son
07-25-2010, 19:57
My old rain jacket wore out so I'm looking for something breathable but not to expensive. What can this group recommend for hiking?

10-K
07-25-2010, 20:00
http://www.rainshield.com/

Good stuff - on my last hike I dealt with a lot of rain and the hooded rain jacket was great. Very light, packs small and pretty cheap.

Luddite
07-25-2010, 20:05
Check out the Packa. It only weighs 13oz and it doubles as a pack cover. You get better air circulation with it.

http://thepacka.com/

Tinker
07-25-2010, 22:29
I'm beginning to think that it's nearly impossible to stay dry in protracted rain. When it's above 50 and I'm hiking I'm usually warm enough to sweat so I just wear a light wool or poly top and a windbreaker. I have an old Gore-tex jacket which is waterproof but not so breathable (hence the pit zips) and it's good for winter backpacking. I also have the newest "miracle" - eVent in the incarnation of REI's Shuksan jacket - still not breathable enough for me not to sweat unless it gets down into the 40s (hiking, that is - it's fine for sitting around). Ventilation is key, not so much the fabric, coating, or laminate. The problem is that if the wind isn't moving there isn't much ventilation.
I've used cheap garments:
Red Ledge - not breathable that I can tell and leaky once the DWR wears off.
Precip - more durable DWR and coating but just as hard to quantify the breathability.
Micropore (from Backpacking Light) - comfortable because it's stiff and stands out from your body, and the lining hides the moisture well. Breathable? Probably not, but the above features make it more comfortable than the two previously mentioned. Stiff fabric facilitates ventilation.
I've also owned fully waterproof raingear marketed with the REI logo back in the 80's and 90's. Absolutely waterproof, absolutely non-breathable - BUT I could ventilate it well enough to cool down a bit. The fabric on that was stiff (and heavy).
So far I like my poncho best (silnylon) - mainly because it ventilates well when I want it to (but rain can blow in from the sides unless I tuck the back corners into my pack belt in front), I can access my pack without taking it off (when it's not too windy), and I can take breaks and eat (and even sleep in a light rain) under it if I stake out the corners and prop up the closed off hood with a trekking pole.
I still use other jackets on short trips when I can gauge how bad the weather will be, but my poncho is my basic raingear on all trips except those in winter.

Tinker
07-25-2010, 22:31
I meant to say that the poncho is my basic raingear on all LONG trips except those in winter (because of its versatility).

Hoop
07-25-2010, 22:36
AntiGravityGear silnylon jacket & pants are pretty good - real light.

Bare Bear
07-29-2010, 13:19
Frog Toggs, cheap, work well, available everywhere.

garlic08
07-29-2010, 13:38
I go for the cheaper stuff lately. I've done OK with Red Ledge. I will check out the O2 stuff 10K mentioned--thanks for the link. I haven't used Frogg Toggs because I do a lot of bushwhacking and I don't like the lack of durability. I also have some homemade silnylon rain gear and have been using that lately.

Breathable is mostly a marketing catchphrase, I think. When any "breathable" fabric gets wet and it will in protracted rain or sweating, the pores seal up with water and you're left with a plastic bag anyway. Breathable fabrics do work nicely in light showers in dry climates, if you can afford the price tag.

mtnkngxt
07-29-2010, 15:06
Outdoor Research Helium Jacket and Golite Reed Pants.

Bare Bear
07-30-2010, 16:46
You are absolutely correct on Frog Toggs being unacceptable for bushwacking; mine usually last about a year of hiking but they are cheap enough to throw away.

RayBan
07-31-2010, 10:15
If you don't want to get wet, either from rain or perspiration, don't go hiking out in the woods.

BrianLe
08-01-2010, 16:58
I switched to a Packa part way on my thru-hike this year, and have been happy with it. I might try to add some velcro or something for when I'm using it as a standalone jacket, to keep the pack cover part better out of the way, but otherwise it's a fine piece of gear. My sense at this point is that while it's not the lightest option, the features and in particular ventilation and loose fit offset that, for me at least.

Egads
08-01-2010, 19:14
I recently replaced my 3 yo Frog Toggs for trail hiking & sailing.

Also, walked out of REI with an Arcteryx Theta AR for $120 out of pocket this past March. I plan to use it at Gate of the Arctic NP this fall.

Tinker
08-01-2010, 21:06
I go for the cheaper stuff lately. I've done OK with Red Ledge. I will check out the O2 stuff 10K mentioned--thanks for the link. I haven't used Frogg Toggs because I do a lot of bushwhacking and I don't like the lack of durability. I also have some homemade silnylon rain gear and have been using that lately.

Breathable is mostly a marketing catchphrase, I think. When any "breathable" fabric gets wet and it will in protracted rain or sweating, the pores seal up with water and you're left with a plastic bag anyway. Breathable fabrics do work nicely in light showers in dry climates, if you can afford the price tag.

You are absolutely right about "breathable" raingear becoming sealed and non-breathable once rain overpowers the DWR treatment on the outer surface which causes the water to bead up. Once the DWR becomes worn or dirty it will fail to cause the water to bead up and allow it to sheet (form a sheet by the natural cohesion of the water molecules). That sheet of water makes it impossible for sweat vapor to escape to the outside air (which it does very slowly in high humidity conditions [ie: rain]). Goretex works best in very cold, dry weather where you might work up a sweat during exertion. It's great for skiwear.

couscous
08-01-2010, 21:33
I switched to a Packa part way on my thru-hike this year...

For those who are not familiar with The Packa (http://www.thepacka.com/).

Jeff
08-02-2010, 06:22
Seeing lots of umbrellas this summer on the AT.