PDA

View Full Version : Trail runners or boots????

HiKen2011
07-25-2010, 22:55
Going Northbound August 18th, I know about the possibilities of lots of mud. Trail runners or boots?? :-?

Tinker
07-25-2010, 23:06
Trail runners or low top hikers for ventilation.
Personal preference here.
You can always rinse out your socks if they get too muddy (they will get muddy even if you wear boots - I wore boots on all of the LT on my 1990s section hikes). Nylon non-waterproof shoes and boots dry more quickly than leather. This is more important on a long hike than on the week long sections I did.
I only wear boots while doing trail work where the possibility of an encounter with a rolling boulder or chainsaw chain is a possibility

pedxing
07-26-2010, 19:47
I've been obsessing about this for bit for my E2E trip.

In terms of moisture, it's a bit of a gamble - boots are more likely to stay dry, especially if they have Gortex or a similar membrane, but are much harder to dry when wet. Boots protect the feet a bit, but can be harder on feet themselves. If you have trail runners or boots that are really comfortable and in decent shape, I'd use them.

It is nice to have the reduced weight of trail runners, but sometimes its nice to have boots and not be so careful about foot placement. I switched from trail runners to boots at Franconia Notch while doing the New Hampshire AT and loved the feeling that I could just rumble down the trail and not worry so much about where my feet went.

I wore pretty standard type boots (Dunham Waffle Stompers) for my first LT E2E, and trail runners (New Balance, 809, I think) for my second). I think I'm going with light hikers for (Merrill Moab Mid w Gortex) for this one partly because they felt good and I got a deal - though I may switch out to trail runners (or even my standard boots) at some point. Not sure if the Moabs will prove to be closer to the best or the worst of both worlds.

I'll probably see you on the trail, since I expect to finish SOBO around the 19 to the 21st. If so, I can tell you how my footwear worked out and find out what you decided on.

Smile
07-26-2010, 19:52
Trail runners :)

coyote13
07-26-2010, 19:57
I prefer New balance 806's . I am 300 pounds and get good support as well as quick dry time

HiKen2011
07-26-2010, 20:23
Thanks to everyone, I'm still undecided though. Leaning toward my trail runners (Nike). :confused:

Tinker
07-26-2010, 21:22
Thanks to everyone, I'm still undecided though. Leaning toward my trail runners (Nike). :confused:

Load up your pack and go for an overnighter in the rain on the worst trail near your house and you will have a good idea as to how well your Nike shoes will work. I've recently found that shoes with very small lugs (in my case the Asics trail runners) have too little surface area to stick to wet, smooth rock, so I'm rethinking my choice, too, but it will definitely be low top, lightweight shoes. A heel in a trail runner is rare, but if you have one it will help you by being able to hook it over small irregularities on wet rock or roots.

Sierra Echo
07-26-2010, 21:25

I have a pair of Nikes junga shox which are off trail running shoes. They just didnt give me and my very sprainable/breakable ankle the support I needed. I was terrified I would end up having crawl out of there!

Tinker
07-26-2010, 21:41
I have a pair of Nikes junga shox which are off trail running shoes. They just didnt give me and my very sprainable/breakable ankle the support I needed. I was terrified I would end up having crawl out of there!
For me, I've found that boots rub me on the back of the ankle too much and sometimes on the front. With my (custom) Limmer boots, even thoroughly broken in, I would sometimes experience VERY painful ankles (on the outside, at the top of the boot) from the pressure, not friction. It's just the way my feet/ankles are put together, so I'm hesitant to tell folks not to hike in boots. For me, low tops may make me hike more carefully in bad terrain and that may be a reason that I haven't had any major ankle problems since switching to boots. My ankles have actually gotten stronger and I find that I can place the soles of my shoes at sharper angles when climbing rock than I could with my boots (due to the stiffness of the shaft of the boot).

Tinker
07-26-2010, 21:42
Sorry, mistake above - should be since switching from boots.

jcazz
07-26-2010, 22:02
Trail Runners unless you have weak ankles and want to keep them that way. Boots are for winter -cold/snow.

wvgrinder
07-26-2010, 22:06
I bought a pair of Merrell Moab Ventilators for my upcoming e2e. I was out hiking yesterday in the pouring rain and they got SOAKED! I hung them last night and put them out in the sun for a few hours today-and they're bone dry.

wvgrinder
07-26-2010, 22:10
I should have mentioned I got the mid-hikers. PLENTY of ankle support.

Yukon
07-27-2010, 07:43
I'm using Salomon XA Pro Ultra 3D trail runners on our End-to-End this summer. After using them a couple times now I don't know if I'll ever use my Asolo 520's in the summer again.

Tenderheart
07-27-2010, 10:23
Trail runners!!!!! It ain't about staying dry. It's how quickly does it dry? Whatever you wear in the Appalachian Mountains, it and you are going to get wet. Choose items, shoes, clothing, whatever, that dries quickly. Wet boots stay that way for days. And, IMO, Gore-tex just does not work. The only breathing that occurs is space in your bank account that once contained cash.

litefoot 2000

litefoot 2000

greenmtnboy
07-27-2010, 13:48
I have always needed boots with good support. Limmer boots are the best, but Asolos are good too. Sometimes it may make sense to have a second pair of shoes in the pack if the conditions are especially wet, you can hike with dry feet with extra Merino wool socks. A night with newspaper stuffed into the boots may be enough for them to dry.

NorthCountryWoods
07-27-2010, 14:49
There is no shortage of boots vs trail runners threads on these forums and opinions tend to be more about personal preference than performance. I have both and one more opinion isn't going to hurt.

What I've found-

True trail runners aren't really meant for long distance hiking with a loaded pack, they are meant for trail running. Like all running shoes, they have a limited lifespan which is much shorter than a designed hiking boot. As long as you realize this and use them in the appropriate situations you won't be disappointed. Shoe companies are evolving into more backpacking oriented shoes, but the lighter they are the less durable and protective they are. If you pack on the light side and don't mind replacing them every season or so (I'm good for one pair a season, but don't only wear them on the trail) they are much lighter on your feet and you can feel the difference at the end of the day.

For trips longer than a night or two with a heavy pack and heavy mud, I wear Montrail Torre GTXs. I'm on my 2nd pair in about 8 years. They last longer, are heavier and offer more protection. Unlike most, I have found they keep my feet drier on the Long Trail and northern New England AT than the trail runners and I have pretty sweaty feet. I've never had a problem drying out boots or trail runners.

When in Alaskan and northern Canadian mountains, I lean to the heavy mountaineering boots. I have a 18 year old pair of Montrail Moraine ATs that are still the most comfortable boot I own and a 12 year old pair of LaSportiva Makalus for crampons. They last forever and then some, but are super heavy and are overkill outside of winter in New England.

Trail runners are fine for the LT, just don't expect them to be boots.

turtle fast
07-27-2010, 15:26
I have seen a fellow hiker trip and fall rolling an ankle in a boot that took a lot of punishment and had supported the ankle. I am convinced that if that fall & ankle twisting was in a trail runner that hiker would of badly sprained or broke their ankle...thus possibly ending their AT hike.

stranger
07-27-2010, 18:07
First off, no one is keeping their feet dry on a Long Trail thru-hike, taking waterproof boots in the hope of minimizing wet feet is a fairly lost cause.

The Long Trail is a very wet trail - I'm not talking about rain, I'm talking about 10 inch puddles that last 300 feet with no way around them, I'm talking about morning dew all over everything, which will run down your legs into your waterproof boots and soak your feet - then there is the rain :)

All leather boots or gore-tex boots/footwear will take much longer to dry out than breathable footwear, whether it's trail runners, mids or more substantial footwear.

elray
07-27-2010, 18:32
Keep your pack weight manageable and stick with trail runners, you'll never go back to boots!

pedxing
07-27-2010, 22:26
First off, no one is keeping their feet dry on a Long .

Actually I've done pretty well on my two E2E hikes. I've had them wet for days on end, but dry for stretches of more than a week as well.

NorthCountryWoods
07-28-2010, 08:18
First off, no one is keeping their feet dry on a Long Trail thru-hike, taking waterproof boots in the hope of minimizing wet feet is a fairly lost cause.

Actually I've done pretty well on my two E2E hikes. I've had them wet for days on end, but dry for stretches of more than a week as well.

Same here.

If you hiking for a week in torrential rain, you are going to have wet feet. Waterproof boots will keep you drier thru the light rain and smaller puddles and keep you from tearing up the trail around them.

Dogwood
07-28-2010, 19:13
AT, NOBO, start Aug 18 in GA, strong ankles, no muscle/ligament/back/leg/bone issues, UL to light wt pack = dialed in trailrunners!

Dogwood
07-28-2010, 19:17
Wait! LT, all the same = dialed in trailrunners!

Tinker
07-28-2010, 22:28
I haven't seen it mentioned here, so I'll add that there is a world of difference beween low top hikers and trail runners.
True trail runners don't have the lateral support of the low top hikers, and often have thinner soles which are less deeply lugged.
I've used both, plus light and heavy, Goretex and non, heavy hiking boots.
Currently I'm using trail runners because I've found some that are comfortable (and you can't beat the light weight).
I may do my end-to-end in my New Balance street runners - just because........:D
Grandma Gatewood thruhiked the AT several times in Keds canvas sneakers, using both low and high topped versions.

berkshirebirder
07-29-2010, 06:13
A good number of distance hikers mention "foot problems" here at WB, and I'm wondering how many of these are stress/overuse fractures. The question of comfort aside, a stiffer sole seems to keep the foot from flexing so much on every step--is that setting the foot up for a problem if you change from boots to sneakers/trailrunners?

Anyone have solid information about this?

sleeveless
07-29-2010, 11:56
"A good number of distance hikers mention "foot problems" here at WB, and I'm wondering how many of these are stress/overuse fractures. The question of comfort aside, a stiffer sole seems to keep the foot from flexing so much on every step--is that setting the foot up for a problem if you change from boots to sneakers/trailrunners?"
I can tell you that I had sore feet most of the AT until they just got to numb to hurt anymore. In 2006 I switched to Saloman trail Runners and hike most weeks 3 seasons in NH in them. Backpacked for 3 nights in the Grand Canyon this spring with no problems. And, my feet took a year to recover but are very happy hikers in the trail runners. Should have listened to Ray Jardine before my AT thru hike. BTW I did all VT 4000' on the long trail in them also.

sleeveless
07-29-2010, 12:00
hmm... sorry that post last seems confusing. I hiked the AT in boots. Have since used only trail runners both in NH and Maine including the knife edge.

StealthHikerBoy
07-29-2010, 13:55
I just returned from about a week on the LT - all in the northern half of the trail. There was a stretch where it was very rainy and wet and the trail was muddy, swampy, etc.

At the shelters at night, there was all kinds of footwear represented. During these days, it wasn't about being dry, as whether you had boots or trail runners your feet were soaked completely and the next morning your footwear was still wet.

The bigger issue was safety. I was wearing Asics trail runners and I was slipping and falling a lot. To the point where it was dangerous. However, when I got into camp at night, everyone was saying they were slipping and falling - regardless of what kind of footwear they were wearing.

So ... to me the criteria for footwear have changed, with keeping dry way down the list. Number one is comfort and blister prevention, but number two is how well the shoes will grip on wet rocks.

Anyone got recommendations for footwear that perform remarkably well on wet, mossy rocks?? :)

Tinker
07-31-2010, 00:41
I just returned from about a week on the LT - all in the northern half of the trail. There was a stretch where it was very rainy and wet and the trail was muddy, swampy, etc.

At the shelters at night, there was all kinds of footwear represented. During these days, it wasn't about being dry, as whether you had boots or trail runners your feet were soaked completely and the next morning your footwear was still wet.

The bigger issue was safety. I was wearing Asics trail runners and I was slipping and falling a lot. To the point where it was dangerous. However, when I got into camp at night, everyone was saying they were slipping and falling - regardless of what kind of footwear they were wearing.

So ... to me the criteria for footwear have changed, with keeping dry way down the list. Number one is comfort and blister prevention, but number two is how well the shoes will grip on wet rocks.

Anyone got recommendations for footwear that perform remarkably well on wet, mossy rocks?? :)

See my comment on the Asics trail runners above - not enough contact area to work well on slick rock. I love the fit and weight but hate the traction. I had better luck with my New Balance STREET running shoes on Camel's Hump last weekend after a heavy rain the previous night. I will probably start the LT sobo hike in them, and have something else mailed to me if they don't work out the first few days.

Rush2112
08-11-2010, 14:35
I would really like to find a happy medium between trail runners and boots, as I really like the ankle support of boots but really like the "nothing on my feet" feeling of trail runners.

Praha4
08-12-2010, 12:53
I use Vasque Breeze GTX "boots". I use the term "boots" loosely. These are very lightweight boots, not much heavier than typical trail runners. I also use Montrail Hardrock trail runners at times. The Vasque Breeze give much better ankle support on rocky-tree root terrain. I've slipped and fallen in both, and I've donated blood to Blood Mtn rocks, Roan Mtn and Unaka Mtn rocks and tree roots on falls. The biggest slip/fall hazard for me in May and June on the AT was the wet, hard packed clay in some sections of the trail when going downhill on steep slopes.... that damp/wet clay was like ice and when you plant your foot, it would often slide out from under you and down you go.

I think the AT or the LT will give hikers their share of slips/falls no matter what you wear.

Deadeye
08-12-2010, 18:55

I jsut re-read this: nothing does well on wet, mossy rocks! However, for my money, the grippiest soles I've ever had are on my old New Balance trail runners, and the newer ones are almost as good.

To the OP, IMHO, trail runners or low hiking shoes are best. I don't think I'll ever hike in boots again, unless I plan to be slogging through untrailed swamp, as in the Adirondacks. Save the boots for winter. YMMV

Yukon
09-27-2010, 11:10
After rolling my ankle on our attempted NOBO End-to-End this summer, and getting a new pain in my arch that I have never felt before, I have decided to go back to my Asolo 520's for backpacking. The trail runners feel great but they just didn't cut it for me, thus ending our hike which was a huge bummer. It just comes down to what works best for you...

jlore
09-27-2010, 11:31
has anyone ever tired trail runners with an neoprene ankle wrap?

10-K
09-27-2010, 11:42
has anyone ever tired trail runners with an neoprene ankle wrap?

This is exactly what I do on my left foot for hiking and trail running. Don't need it on my right foot. Works great. I wear it on the outside of my sock rather than pulling my sock over it.

Like so:

http://scene7.samsclub.com/is/image/samsclub/0004129860541_A?wid=206&hei=202&op_sharpen=1

wrongway_08
09-27-2010, 11:47
Trail runners, even in winter they work greaqt with a thick sock!

walkin' wally
09-30-2010, 15:55
After rolling my ankle on our attempted NOBO End-to-End this summer, and getting a new pain in my arch that I have never felt before, I have decided to go back to my Asolo 520's for backpacking. The trail runners feel great but they just didn't cut it for me, thus ending our hike which was a huge bummer. It just comes down to what works best for you...

I was wondering if I was going to see such a post. I have notoriously weak ankles ( rollers ) and I was wondering If hikers like me have prolems with the trail runners?

JAK
09-30-2010, 16:21
I've turned my ankle alot, trail running in the woods and even just walking in town. It's no picnic, especially when moving agressively and carrying extra weight, including extra body weight. Some sort of ankle support is often justified. I don't think it should be done all the time though. I think everyone should undertake some activities that strengthen there feet and ankles in addition to activities where ankles and feet need more protection. If you need ankle protection for all of you hiking you should probably look into reducing your pack weight, and and doing some day hikes without a pack to strengthen things up while dropping some more body weight. For a thru-hike, that's alot of hiking, so I would want to do most of that without too much ankle support. I would lighten my pack and drop my body weight and strengthen things up as much as possible before starting. I wouldn't let it stop me though. I would start off with more ankle support if neccessary, but not so much that I wouldn't be getting stronger as I hiked further along. By the time I got down to a good hiking weight I would definitely want to be able to hike in some light leather ankle boots at the very most.

I think alot of trouble though is not trail runners vs boots.
Most trail runners are heavier than neccessary without providing ankle support. What's worse, is they often have a thicker sole than neccessary for cushion and rigidity, which makes the risks of ankle injuries more serious. I would first look to a trail runners or running shoe with sufficient cushion and protection, but without an excessively thick sole and tread. If that did not provide enough protection again turned ankles, I would then turn to a light ankle boot or ankle moccassin, also with a thinner and lighter tread than what most hiking boots offer. You need some cushion, and rigidity, and traction, but most boots like most trail runners are way too high off the ground, and this not only adds unneccessary weight, but also makes the risk of turned ankle more likely, and more serious. If an even higher and heavier and more rigid boot is needed, I would still stick with simple unpadded leather and I would still keep the bottom sole and tread as low to the ground as possible, certainly lower than what most people sell.

The thing to bear in mind is the whether light trial runners or heavy boots, most are NOT made with your best interests in mind, they are made to sell, with their best profit in mind. They two are not mutually exclusive, but they are not very well correllated either. 99% of consumer products, including performance sports equipment, is designed to look sexy, like peacock tail feathers. The Peacock's tail feathers are not there to make the peacock fitter. The Peacock's tail feather are there to advertising the fact that the peacock is an idiot, but must be fit to survive despite being such an idiot.

So wear peacock feathers if you wish, but make sure you are fit enough to wear them.

SassyWindsor
09-30-2010, 19:24
The heavier the backpack the heavier the footwear. I wear trail shoes on day hikes and occasional overnight trips. Non-Gortex Leather boots for everything else. I calculate the cost of trail shoes ends up being greater than a good pair of Italian made, Norwegian welt boots that can be resoled several or more times, assuming somebody like Dave Page Cobblers in Seattle is doing the work.

Razor
10-01-2010, 14:05
While I hike the AT alot in trail runners, I picked a heavier sole shoe (keen) on my Long Trail e2e last month. I am glad I did. The LT is more a path than a trail at times and a blowdown is defined as something that you can't get under ,over, or around .This creates a different environment for feet in addition to the long mud paths. IMHO it is better to protect the soles of your feet with a stronger sole on your footwear (more than trailrunners and save them for the AT) And by the way the LT was a great time and I encourage everyone to hike it but don't think it is another duplicate of the AT

Del Q
10-01-2010, 14:55
Coyote13 Appreciate the honesty on weight, so, do you also carry a pack and do you find that these New Balance trail runners give you the support you want to backpacking on tough/uneven terrain?

Dogwood
10-01-2010, 15:14
That looks like it will give more support and protection. I've never tried one though. I do suppose you have to take into the account the extra volume of the neoprene though when selecting shoe size.

I do much the same thing, at times, by wrapping my heels and ankles with a self adhering ace bandage and adding some duct tape.

This is exactly what I do on my left foot for hiking and trail running. Don't need it on my right foot. Works great. I wear it on the outside of my sock rather than pulling my sock over it.

Like so:

http://scene7.samsclub.com/is/image/samsclub/0004129860541_A?wid=206&hei=202&op_sharpen=1

samgriffin4
03-16-2011, 16:30
Moab venitlators are the way to go. Get rid of that gortex.

double d
03-16-2011, 17:23
As you can read, there are as many opinions as there are answers. So...I've hiked the last two summers on the LT/AT in Vermont and I would have to say that I really am glad that I had my mid-size leather boots, but thats me. I'm not a big fan of trail runners in Vermont (I've never tried them either), but the LT is a tough trail and the trail changes quickly, so I think the trail runners have a limited use. But again, that is my opinion, but I liked my mid-size all leathers.

pedxing
03-16-2011, 19:05
Interesting to see this thread come up again. After doing the LT once in boots and once in trail runners, I hiked it switching from light weight boots to trail runners and back to light weight boots. I still don't know if I hike it again. Some conclusions I did reach:

1) There is no perfect solution that will work for everyone, or even one for me for all times. It depends on your feet, how you are hiking and the conditions you encounter. There were times that I had boots and thought trail runners would do better and vice versa.
2) Good quality socks that fit well (snugly but not too tight) make a huge difference in how your feet do. Some socks still protect your feet nicely when soaked others don't. If you have a few extra bucks to spend on your feet, upgrade the socks. I really like "Darn Toughs."
3) Grip is huge. Slipping and sliding puts strains on the joints and staying upright is big. A couple others have pointed this out.