PDA

View Full Version : gear changes for the smokies

tagg
07-26-2010, 11:11
my next section hike will be the smokies, probably in september or october. i understand that i'm required to stay in shelters, but i also understand that it would be foolish of me not to carry some sort of sleep setup in case of emergency or full shelters. my current setup is a blackbird hammock/speer winter tarp/3 season yeti underquilt, which altogether with guylines and everything probably weighs in the 4-5lb range. since i probably won't have to use them at all, i'd like to leave them at home and carry something lighter.

i'd appreciate any recommendations for a lighter setup that that i can use if i need to, but one that won't break the bank since it may sit in my pack the entire week and likely won't be used during future hikes (when i have the option of sleeping in my oh so comfortable hammock). i've looked at emergency bivy sacks, but those things look dreadfully claustrophobic and i'm concerned about condensation. if the weather was nice i would just cowboy camp, so a setup that doesn't do well in the rain and wind would defeat the purpose for me. i will be sleeping in my montbell #2 down bag if that makes any difference. thanks.

10-K
07-26-2010, 11:20
i'd appreciate any recommendations for a lighter setup that that i can use if i need to, but one that won't break the bank since it may sit in my pack the entire week and likely won't be used during future hikes (when i have the option of sleeping in my oh so comfortable hammock). i've looked at emergency bivy sacks, but those things look dreadfully claustrophobic and i'm concerned about condensation. if the weather was nice i would just cowboy camp, so a setup that doesn't do well in the rain and wind would defeat the purpose for me. i will be sleeping in my montbell #2 down bag if that makes any difference. thanks.

Why not just take your hammock tarp and a piece of plastic (painter's drop cloth) for a ground sheet? That'd do nicely in a pinch and wouldn't cost you anything.

I have the exact same hammock / tarp / underquilt setup as you do and really struggle with lugging the weight around myself.

Llama Legs
07-26-2010, 13:57
I just did the GSMNP solo last month. I agree with 10-K, bring an UL tarp and small groundcloth. I carried a 3# tent and only used it as a pillow. You'll want to carry 1.5L water during the day.

STICK
07-26-2010, 14:27
Hey tagg, What's up man!?

My wife and I are thru-hiking the Smokies mid October (as long as we get shelter reservations...). You would be more than welcome to tag along. We will be parking at Fontana and getting a shuttle to Davenport (or probably I-40) and then hiking back to our truck. If you wanted to come along we could stage our cars and not do a shuttle. Anyway, Ill keep in touch.

As for your question, I agree with 10-K. Just take your tarp and a ground sheet. This is all that my wife and I will be bringing (my 8 x 10 OES tarp and a sheet of Tyvek). However, I am debating bringing it, it will be an extra 1.5 lbs, so we will see.

tagg
07-26-2010, 15:06
stick, good to hear from you again. i appreciate the offer, but my smokies hike may have to wait until next fall. el jefe's wife just had their baby, so he's on the shelf for a while, and we just did a section in may, so my wife may leave me if i take off again so soon. looks like it will be weekends and overnighters until then.

where did you get the tyvek? i've only found large rolls when i've looked, and i only want a piece about 8'x5'.

STICK
07-26-2010, 17:02
Well, that's cool too! Congrats on your friend and his new family.

Some buddys and I will be going the 2nd weekend in August for an overnighter. Just up Alum cave and then back down the next day. Staying at LeConte shelter. (Maybe we will see some bears!) You are more than welcome to come if you can make it.

A friend of mine that works on homes got me a small piece once, but I got another piece from someone here on these forums. I believe you can get it cut to size off of ebay as well.

If you are interested, MLD sells an Ultralight Ground cloth for $8. It is 5.1' X 9' and weighs in at 2.5 oz. I have a piece of Tyvek about that size and it weighs ~ 10 oz. With my next order from them I will add one of these ground sheets to my order to check them out. From what I have heard they are pretty durable, of course I would assume that is making sure that you clear an area the same was as if you were setting up a tent. Just move the sharps out of the way.

I am still wanting to try out the WB BB myuself, but going to check out a tarp in general first. I have a homemade one, but need to get some rope that will hold me up first!

Llama Legs
07-26-2010, 18:51
tagg,

I have a bit left on a short roll.

email me your mailing address

[email protected]

1azarus
07-27-2010, 08:23
i used a different approach and it worked really well. i brought my hammock and fly and a (new) neoair short pad, and planned to either use the pad in my hammock or on the floor of the shelter if i had to. every night i just waited till people had settled down after dinner and put my hammock up in the sleeping area... never needed the tarp, but had it just in case. you sound like you'd really prefer sleeping in the hammock, so you might just go for it. the park regulations don't forbid hammocking in the shelters, by the way. a ranger i spoke to mumbled something about the problems they would have if everyone wanted to hammock... but that ain't very likely.

1azarus
07-27-2010, 08:24
i used a different approach and it worked really well. i brought my hammock and fly and a (new) neoair short pad, and planned to either use the pad in my hammock or on the floor of the shelter if i had to. every night i just waited till people had settled down after dinner and put my hammock up in the sleeping area... never needed the tarp, but had it just in case. you sound like you'd really prefer sleeping in the hammock, so you might just go for it. the park regulations don't forbid hammocking in the shelters, by the way. a ranger i spoke to mumbled something about the problems they would have if everyone wanted to hammock... but that ain't very likely.

sorry -- i meant put the hammock up in the eating area...

tagg
07-27-2010, 09:17

interesting..so you just tied off to the support beams holding up the "porch"? just out of curiosity, nobody you were sharing the shelter with seemed to mind?

STICK
07-27-2010, 23:15
Actually a few weeks ago when we were at LeConte shelter a couple of hammockers rolled in and they decided they did not want to keep going. Long story short, they ended up getting a spot in the full shelter because 2 other guys decided to keep going. There was a ranger staying at the lodge because of a lot of bear activity at the shelter and he actually made several trips to the shelter and asked us for our names and marked them off on his list (we had permits, but he didn't ask for them, just our names).

So, the 2 guys had hung their hammocks inside the shelter from the rafters. When the ranger came and saw them he told them to take them down because they were not supposed to be hanging them inside. None of us in the shelter minded, but the ranger did. So, I guess if you can get away with it....

Llama Legs
07-28-2010, 09:54
your tyvek is on the way !

tagg
07-28-2010, 10:05
thanks, llama legs! you win the mr. generosity award for the month of july!