PDA

View Full Version : bear alert

DavidNH
07-26-2010, 11:16
There is currently..as of late July 2010, a bear alert in the White Mountain National Forest in New Hampshire. This means that those hikers that may have slacked off on proper food storage had better get serious about it again. Use bear boxes if provided or do a bear hang.

Signs say that bears have followed hikers and even entered tents when food was left in them. Signs also say that people who are caught not storing food properly can face stiff fines (up to 5000 dollars).

DavidNH

1azarus
07-26-2010, 16:50
signs..... where?

Tin Man
07-26-2010, 17:17
http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/conditions/

Mountain Wildman
07-26-2010, 17:23
signs..... where?

I haven't seen signs but I was given this card: See Below.
I lived in Meriden and worked in Wallingford for 9 years and never saw a bear.
You are probably safe there.:)

Jack Tarlin
07-26-2010, 19:20
The latest news release I've been able to find on this was dated several weeks ago.

It pointedly says nothing about large fines or the risk for same.

Should one use caution, prudence, and common sense in bear country?

Absolutely.

Are there more bears out than usual in some parts of New Hampshire?

Yes.

Is there a good chance that someone's gonna be dinged $5,000 for not bear bagging in the Granite State anytime soon?

No, there isn't.

And if it's ever happened, I'd love to hear about it. We're talking about a Federal statute that was originally designed to apply to the West. Other than the Smokies and Shenandoah Park, I've never heard of anyone being cited, admonished, fined, or otherwise punished on the A.T. for alleged improper food handling/storage.

In short, cautioning people is fine. Alarming people, not so fine. The chance of anyone getting whacked five grand in New Hampshire for not bear-bagging is about zero.

Tin Man
07-26-2010, 23:06
http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/conditions/

for those who didn't click the link i posted earlier this official notice specifically details the bear warning and potential for a $5,000 fine.

1azarus
07-27-2010, 08:13
I haven't seen signs but I was given this card: See Below.
I lived in Meriden and worked in Wallingford for 9 years and never saw a bear.
You are probably safe there.:)
sure. the bears probably chased you out of town.

Blue Jay
07-27-2010, 08:36
In short, cautioning people is fine. Alarming people, not so fine.

But spreading fear is soooo much fun. An obsession and tradition about bears here on White Blaze.

DavidNH
07-27-2010, 09:09
well signs are posted at Pinkham Notch visitor center and at lincoln woods ranger station and possibly other places.

I was trying to provide a public service not alarm people. yeah I doubt any hiker would face the 5000 $ fine. Most hikers..by the time they get up here have a system down and keep a clean camp. Still it can't hurt to advise folks.

David

Tin Man
07-27-2010, 09:12
But spreading fear is soooo much fun. An obsession and tradition about bears here on White Blaze.

Noobs are afraid of bears. Their friends only spread the fear... "you are doing what?? Aren't you afraid of getting eaten by a bear?!" One friend who said that to me has been mugged several times in NYC. :eek: Doh!

When someone asks if I am afraid of bears, I generally say 'no, but I am afraid of getting in a car accident before I get to the trail and will be praying you don't get run over while I am out there in the relative safety of the trail.'

Blue Jay
07-27-2010, 09:27
One friend who said that to me has been mugged several times in NYC. :eek: Doh!

Great now the Bear Terrorists will be seeing bears in NYC.

Blue Jay
07-27-2010, 09:31
Still it can't hurt to advise folks.

David

Do you bear "advice" guys have a system so you keep one active at all times?
You do seem to take turns and vary the wording quite well, it's actually impressive.

GeneralLee10
07-27-2010, 09:38
I would almost be willing to bet, the food that is being taken. Is from folks that hardly ever get out to hike/camp. This in return, makes for people that do not know basic tips for dealing with the food.

Just my guess, correct me if I'm wrong.

txag
07-27-2010, 12:55
The title of this article is "NM Bear Invasion Continues". The bears are getting the worst of it having 30 killed vs. 1 injured human as of last Friday. We have had 1 dog killed and eaten by a bear defending its owner so maybe it looks as if "dogs" may be protection but a "dog" might not.

http://www.koat.com/news/24375436/detail.html#

Many NM mountain ranges pop up in the middle of the desert - with limited "bear-able" areas. Those that are unable to stake and defend a territory are forced out into populated areas this time of year attracted by fruit trees....then one thing leads to another with their relationship to us humans.

I believe that they allow bow/cap and ball hunting but not enough to affect their numbers significantly.

rickb
07-27-2010, 18:53
There is currently..as of late July 2010, a bear alert in the White Mountain National Forest in New Hampshire. This means that those hikers that may have slacked off on proper food storage had better get serious about it again. Use bear boxes if provided or do a bear hang.

Signs say that bears have followed hikers and even entered tents when food was left in them. Signs also say that people who are caught not storing food properly can face stiff fines (up to 5000 dollars).

DavidNH

Thanks for posting that.

rickb
07-27-2010, 18:58
Here is a link on the black bear harvest in NH. http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Hunting/bear_hunt_take.htm I took particular note that a small number were harvested with the help of hounds. I've seen sportsmen use that time-honored technique down south, but never in New Hampshire. Has anyone seen evidence of that sport along the AT north of PA? Looks like most bear were taken with bait, though. That increases the yield of the harvest and probably cuts down on the time walking in the woods as well, so why not?

Jack Tarlin
07-27-2010, 19:12
Anyone seen evidence of folks hunting bears with hounds North of Pennsylvania?

Um, yeah, Rick.

Actually, such evidence exists.

Foe example, they've been bear hunting with dogs in Maine since around the 1650's. :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
07-27-2010, 19:39
Here is a link on the black bear harvest in NH. http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Hunting/bear_hunt_take.htm I took particular note that a small number were harvested with the help of hounds. I've seen sportsmen use that time-honored technique down south, but never in New Hampshire. Has anyone seen evidence of that sport along the AT north of PA? Looks like most bear were taken with bait, though. That increases the yield of the harvest and probably cuts down on the time walking in the woods as well, so why not?

bears be hunted with dogs in verrrmaunt too. buncha bearanoia. sleep with yer food. you won't see no bear

Jack Tarlin
07-27-2010, 19:42
This is true. And thanks to areas where bear hunting is permitted and deemed warranted, you'll see even fewer.

Conquer your fears and leave them at home.

Migrating Bird
07-27-2010, 20:05
I camped at Ethan Pond Campsite in June, there was a bear sighting just north of there, the person who saw the bear was clearly frightened, I saw him the day after his sighting. He had hiked back to tell the caretaker. The caretaker set up a kitchen area complete with bear boxes and requested that everyone cook and eat in that area and use the boxes - worked for me, I camped at the site right across from the kitchen - I'm more afraid of mice, bees, spiders & such and come to think of it, they don't bother me all that much either, just love being outdoors in one of the most beautiful places in this country - don't let the fear and worry ruin you day(s).

For example, In May I shuttled Medicine Man throughout MA. He saw one bear while kayaking on Buckley Dunton Pond in Becket and a second coming down the trail toward him near Dalton. He said it was the first bear he's ever seen "on the trail" and was soo excited to have each of them.

rickb
07-27-2010, 20:58
In the southern states one can't help but run into bear hunters out with their hounds along the AT.

Has anyone on this list encountered this on the AT north of PA, and in particular in NH or Maine?

I know such hunting exists (indeed I posted a link showing the numbers of bear taken this way), just wondering if one has seen it along the trail. I have not.

I always thought that Yankee sportsmen were much more inclined to harvest their bear crop over a pile of stale donuts.

Lone Wolf
07-27-2010, 21:05
talk about profiling... yankee this, southern that....

Sierra Echo
07-27-2010, 21:08
I've never ran across Bear Hunters who came equipped with their hounds.

Skidsteer
07-27-2010, 21:12
In the southern states one can't help but run into bear hunters out with their hounds along the AT.

Not in GA. Illegal.

NC bear season is in the Late Fall/Winter when most hikers are snug inside.

Sierra Echo
07-27-2010, 21:13
Not in GA. Illegal.

I didn't know it was illegal. To be honest, Ive just never given bear hunting any thought.

Skidsteer
07-27-2010, 21:18
I didn't know it was illegal. To be honest, Ive just never given bear hunting any thought.

Bear hunting has a season, but you can't hunt them with dogs or hunt over bait.

rickb
07-30-2010, 07:09
Not in GA. Illegal.

I didn't know that about GA. Good to hear.

SOBOs should come across plenty of bear hunters and their dogs in the other southern states. On the AT the bears are the ones at risk.

Hoop Time
07-30-2010, 08:21
Illegal to hunt bears with dogs in Pa. Also illegal to use bait here.

berkshirebirder
07-30-2010, 08:22
Bears. Some love 'em. Some hate 'em. End of discussion.

Kelleelynn
07-31-2010, 09:16
Bears. Some love 'em. Some hate 'em. End of discussion.

Couldn't have said it better myself!!!

txag
07-31-2010, 10:05
NH bear breaks into home to eat fruit, drink from the aquarium and take stuffed bear:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100728/ap_on_fe_st/us_odd_bear_in_kitchen

Bear breaks into car and goes on joy ride:

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/24364913/detail.html

They can be so cute, too......

Tuckahoe
07-31-2010, 10:25
Google is your friend...

Here is a link to the Virginia hunting regulations regarding bear hunting -- http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/bear.asp

Hunting with dogs is illegal in Virginia during bow and muzzleloader season. It is legal during firearms season, except:

Dogs May Be Used to Hunt Bear Except:

During the firearms deer season in the counties west of the Blue Ridge and in the counties of Amherst (west of Rt. 29), Bedford, and Nelson (west of Rt. 151).
During the first 12 hunting days of the firearms deer season in Madison and Greene counties.
In the counties of Campbell (west of Norfolk Southern Railroad), Carroll (east of the New River), Fairfax, Floyd, Franklin, Grayson (east of the New River), Henry, Loudoun, Montgomery (south of I-81), Patrick, Pittsylvania (west of Norfolk Southern Railroad), Pulaski (south of I-81) Roanoke (south of I-81) and Wythe (southeast of the New River or that part bounded by Rt. 21 on the west, I-81 on the north, the county line on the east, the New River on the southeast and Cripple Creek on the south), and in the city of Lynchburg.
On the Amelia, Cavalier, Chester F. Phelps, Featherfin, G. Richard Thompson and Pettigrew Wildlife Management Areas.
When hunting during the archery or muzzleloading bear seasons.
On Cavalier WMA dogs may only be used during the Bear Hound Training Season from August 14 through 31.
It will also be noted that there is a bear hound training and chase season as well.
Edited to add -- Just for fun I looked up each of the state regulations.

North Carolina -- in checking their regulations for bear hunting, its says nothing about using dogs except that its illegal to use dogs in bear sanctuaries. http://www.ncwildlife.org/Regs/2009_10/2009_10_Seasons.pdf

Tennessee -- Dogs not permitted during bow season.

West Virginia -- it is illegal to "pursue a bear, after the chase has begun, with dogs not in use at the beginning of the hunt."

Pennsylvania -- it is illegal to hunt bear with dogs. http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=726681&mode=2

Maryland -- Dogs are not permitted except to recover a dead or wounded bear. http://pub.jfgriffin.com/doc/jfgriffin/10MDHD

New Jersey -- It appears that NJ does not currently permitt bear hunting

New York -- I could not find anything regarding regulations of bear hunting with dogs.

Connecticut -- From what I gather, there is no bear hunting.

Vermont -- Hunting bear with dogs with a permit. http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/library/Reports_and_Documents/Vermont_Digest_of_Hunting_Fishing_and_Trapping_Law s/___2010%20Vermont%20Guide%20to%20Hunting%20Fishing %20&%20Trapping%20Laws%20(no%20maps).pdf

New Hampshire -- Permit required to hunt bear with dogs. Interestingly baiting of bears is also permitted (baiting is illegal in all other listed states). http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Hunting/hunting_rules.htm#bear

Maine -- Dogs are permitted for bear hunting with some regulation as well as baiting.

Graywolf
08-02-2010, 04:08
To the OP, Thanks. Its good to have these notices. Thanks for sharing and the advice.

As for teh others, would any of you camped at Blood Mountain during the closure?? If I remember corrctely, their were more then a few of you who said you did have your food taken. So what is your "professional" advice for not having food takin, after it has already done it?? Curious of the advice..This should go in to the humour thread after this..

Tin Man
08-03-2010, 19:28
Fear of Bears always amazes me. Especially when it is more dangerous to go to work (hundreds are killed annually at work). Latest example...

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/08/03/connecticut.business.shootings/index.html?hpt=T2

Let's start a fear of going to work thread. At least that is an activity where your fears are justified.