PDA

View Full Version : Bluff Trail/AT Loop in Shenandoah

fungusamongus
07-26-2010, 11:31
Anyone ever hiked this trail? Have any information on water along the way or guides/websites that could be helpful in planning to hike in that area. I will be flying into the dc area and am looking for a weekend overnight trail not too far from the city, so if not this trial, suggestions for others in the area would also be appreciated.

Thanks

bjmiller75
07-26-2010, 14:11
I hiked this in one day from outside the park for something like 18 miles. There is water once you start at Gravel springs but I don't remember there being water on the rest of the trail. Nothing overly strenous about this trail other than length. There are plenty of other longer loops in the park that might be better as an overnight. I think this loop you describe is about 14 miles.

the goat
07-26-2010, 16:57
Anyone ever hiked this trail? Have any information on water along the way or guides/websites that could be helpful in planning to hike in that area. I will be flying into the dc area and am looking for a weekend overnight trail not too far from the city, so if not this trial, suggestions for others in the area would also be appreciated.

Thanks

i used to trail run this loop all the time.

as mentioned, there is pretty reliable water at gravel springs. there is also water where the bluff trial intersects with the side trail to big devil stairs (also a reliable source). big devil stairs is also a nice side trial with a nice view of the gorge, it is straight down a/b .4 miles or so to the overlook rock.

as you continue on the bluff trail away from gravel springs, there is another sizeable stream that runs across the trail about 1.5 to 2 miles from the intersection of the big devil stairs side trail intersection.

Blissful
07-26-2010, 19:24
Bluff Trail and AT is an interesting hike but fairly flat and easy. You could do it in a day.

fungusamongus
07-27-2010, 16:04
yes, we could do it in a day, I guess that catch is that we are riding bikes to SNP from DC that day, and are trying to figure out how much water we will need to carry into the park, or if we can get it on the trail

Saffirre8
07-27-2010, 16:16
from DC to Shenandoah national Park it is over 60 miles, just to the north entrance of the park. i was just down there this past weekend.