PDA

View Full Version : Virginia in Sept...

jmorgan
07-26-2010, 12:59
Planning a trip along the Virginia section of the trail in sept.
I have two weeks to hike and would like to see as much as i can. So what should i try to include in the hike. Anyone have a good start point and end point?

mikec
07-26-2010, 14:43
Shenandoah National Park. It's about 90 miles and should take 9-10 days. You can get a warm meal and a shower at least 4 nights while doing this stretch.

OldFeet
07-26-2010, 15:13
I enjoyed hiking in Shenandoah NP last October and, depending on how much ground you plan on covering per day, if you start in Waynesboro, VA you may want to consider going all the way to Harpers Ferry. It should be about 145 miles in total

johnnybgood
07-26-2010, 18:20
The two sections on the AT in Virginia that most appeal to hikers are Shenandoah National Park and Grayson Highlands State Park.
So with that being said you might consider hiking 2 one week sections , a week long hike starting at the southern end of SNP going SoBo ending at Rt.522, in Front Royal . Might take 7-9 days . Of course seeing that you're 21 , it might be less.

The second section is the Grayson Highlands State Park ,where Wild Ponies roam free through the meadows . I'd start this section in Atkins,Va. hiking SoBo to Grayson Highlands and onward to Damascus,Va. , a hike of about 5-7 days.

I could recommend shuttlers too if you decide to do this.

johnnybgood
07-26-2010, 18:22
That should read " going NoBo ending at 522".

Blissful
07-26-2010, 19:19
Shenandoah National Park. It's about 90 miles and should take 9-10 days. You can get a warm meal and a shower at least 4 nights while doing this stretch.

I would do the park in October. Better leaves. But the ticks are out there anyway.

Blissful
07-26-2010, 19:19
I'd do Grayson Highlands in Sept.

Press
07-26-2010, 20:49
Start at Rockfish and walk south, more remote and more interesting than SNP.

Mango
07-26-2010, 21:33
The section around Roanoke is also great. Dragon's Tooth, McAfee Knob, Tinker Cliffs are really unique and picturesque. Plus, you can go to The Home Place in Catawba, the best food on the AT. Rockfish Gap to VA 311 (Catawba) is about 150 miles. Outdoor Trails Outfitter in Daleville (540-992-5850) can do shuttles. Grayson Highlands & White Top Mtn in SW VA are also terrific. Have a great hike.

jen.sprout
07-26-2010, 21:34
You can also consider starting around Pearisburg (or so) and heading south towards Grayson and Mt. Rogers. Get your legs stretched out on some ridge walks, enjoy Nice finish point and there's some lovely areas and views to Burkes Garden, etc. Plus you'd get to finish up in the Highlands.

The sections south of Rockfish are also great - I second that one. Tar jacket ridge, Cold Mountain, etc.

It'll be quite nice here later September into October. With the heat of this summer, I'd go for a bit later if you can.

Enjoy!

jmorgan
07-27-2010, 08:45
The two sections on the AT in Virginia that most appeal to hikers are Shenandoah National Park and Grayson Highlands State Park.
So with that being said you might consider hiking 2 one week sections , a week long hike starting at the southern end of SNP going SoBo ending at Rt.522, in Front Royal . Might take 7-9 days . Of course seeing that you're 21 , it might be less.

The second section is the Grayson Highlands State Park ,where Wild Ponies roam free through the meadows . I'd start this section in Atkins,Va. hiking SoBo to Grayson Highlands and onward to Damascus,Va. , a hike of about 5-7 days.

I could recommend shuttlers too if you decide to do this.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I am trying to decide which one i will want to do. I am thinking of doing both these sections so i can see a lot of virginia. Is there a shuttler that can take me from the two places?? I will prob start south and hike north.

dcmidnight
07-27-2010, 12:08
I'm considering doing the same sections in September over @ 10 days. Currently looking at taking a bus down to Charlottesville/Waynesboro and hiking straight through to Harpers Ferry. Had thought about doing it SoBo but its actually not all that easy to get from DC to HF on a weekend so it seems to be easier to start in Waynesboro.

Lone Wolf
07-27-2010, 12:26
Damascus to Pearisburg

jmorgan
07-27-2010, 12:28
I'm considering doing the same sections in September over @ 10 days. Currently looking at taking a bus down to Charlottesville/Waynesboro and hiking straight through to Harpers Ferry. Had thought about doing it SoBo but its actually not all that easy to get from DC to HF on a weekend so it seems to be easier to start in Waynesboro.

Your heading north bound? Thats what i am thinking i will do to. So you will hike the grayson part north and then shuttle to the shenandoah and do that section? That is my plan as of now too. is 10 days a good estimate to do it in? What time frame are you going in?

dcmidnight
07-27-2010, 12:52
Your heading north bound? Thats what i am thinking i will do to. So you will hike the grayson part north and then shuttle to the shenandoah and do that section? That is my plan as of now too. is 10 days a good estimate to do it in? What time frame are you going in?
My goal is to make it to HF in 10 days which I think is more than doable. But I'll leave myself 14 if necessary though once I get past Luray I have friends scattered between there and NoVa so I'll have bailout opportunites if I need them. Hoping if I hit it after Labor Day the crowds will be thinned out a bit.

the goat
07-27-2010, 12:56
Damascus to Pearisburg

i agree, this is the section i'd do..

but if you're looking to be around lots of people and cars, or you want the ability to buy hot meals & showers...then SNP is the place.

rambunny
07-28-2010, 11:24
If you need a shuttler our guy is Skip-276-2438149 his wife's name is Linda. Have a great Hike!

the goat
07-28-2010, 12:18
and if you do end up in SNP & need a shuttle, the best guys around are mountain & valley shuttle. i can't say enough great things about them.

1-877-789-3210.....ask for rodney or jim.
http://www.mvshuttle.com/home.html