PDA

View Full Version : Help with Gear List

Sunshine Tami Jo
07-26-2010, 16:40
Hi, everyone! I am a lone female hiker who will be hitting the trail in April 2011. I am trying to make a comprhensive (except for food and water) gear checklist and I'd love your input. I know the list is long but I am trying to think of positively everything. Will you please help me cull items I don't need and add items I may have overlooked? I have never done any sort of extended hike and I am trying to ensure my success. Obviously I want to be comfortale on and off the trail, and I know I will have to make some compromises, but I'm not sure where I should alter this list. I would be ever so grateful for any and all assistance.

Appalachian Train Gear List:

c Backpack with camelback insert: Osprey Xenon 85 Women's Backpack
c Trekking poles: Black Diamond Trail Ergo Cork Trekking Poles
c pack rain cover:
c

SHELTER AND SLEEPING:
c Tent: Tarptent Double Rainbow plus pole extender tips, tyvek groundsheet, and stuffsak
c Sleeping Bag: Halo +25
c Thermal sleeping bag liner
c Sleeping pad: Thermarest Neo Air Mattress

FOOD AND HYDRATION:
c Bear Vault: BV500
c Stove: Jetboil personal cooking system
c Fuel:
c spork
c long-handled spoon
c coffee press cup
c Water filter: Katadyn Hiker Pro Water Filter
c

CLOTHING:
c ____ pairs underwear (what kind???)
c 2 sports bras (one to wear, one to pack)
c 1 pair lightweight compression shorts in case I experience chafing
c 1 pair convertible pants
c Macabi skirt
c 2 short-sleeve shirts (one to wear, one to pack)
c long-sleeve shirt
c MontBell Ultralight Thermawrap Insulated Parka </SPAN>
c ___ pair socks (What kind??? Should I layer two pairs?)
c rain pants
c rain jacket
c hat
c gloves
c should I bring thermal underclothes?
c shoes: probably trailrunners, but what about camp shoes? water crossings?

TOILETRIES AND MISC. PERSONAL ITEMS:
c Decomposing Field wipes (available at Wal-Mart)
c Diva cup or tampons (need to check out the possibility of straight-though BCP to dodge the issue altogether)
c disposable razor (yeah, I know...should skip the shaving altogether but I hate the way my legs feel when they get hairy)
c shampoo
c conditioner
c Body Glide
c hand sanitizer
c deodorant
c wide-tooth comb
c brush
c hair bands for braiding my hair
c toothpaste
c toothbrush
c dental floss
c toilet paper
c tweezers
c nail clippers
c Dr. Bronners soap
c towel: somewhere I read about a towel that can be found in the austomotive section at Wal-mart: small and lightweight but very absorbent

TOOLS:
c headlamp or flashlight
c lantern to journal by
c cat hole shovel
c compass (attached to pack, weighs virtually nothing)
c knife or leatherman tool
c Duct tape (have a couple of yards on my trekking poles)
c Bic lighters
c waterproof matches as backup
c Toby’s Swedish fire steel )probably don’t need this but Toby wants to give me something for the trail)
c rope,,,what kind and how much?

HEALTH AND SAFETY:
c first-aid kit plus moleskin
c whistle
c bug spray: what kind? I am a major bug magnet!!!! My friends are always astounded
c sunscreen
c water treatment tablets (backup in case filter fails)

MISCELLANEOUS:
c playing cards
c journal with fine-tip writing implement
c camera with charger, spare batteries, spare memory cards
c ear plugs
c MP3 player and charger
c cell phone and charger
c 2 bandanas
c ID
c Credit Cards
c cash
c Ziploc bags

Mountain Wildman
07-26-2010, 17:09
Looks like your pack will be Heavy, May want to use a Dry Sack instead of the BV500, Underwear - Anything but cotton, Socks - Wool/Poly blend? Again, Anything but cotton, Cotton is ok to use for sleeping, If you layer your socks you will want to use a liner sock, Like men's thin black dress socks for example, Thermal bottoms not a bad idea, I'm using Patagonia Capilene 3 Bottom and top for sleeping and cold weather layering if needed, Camp shoes, Only need if you will be lounging around camp, If you hike, eat and go to sleep, Camp shoes not needed, If you bring them, most use crocs or sandals or flip flops, Shampoo and conditioner=extra weight, The towel you mention is a Chamois for drying cars after washing, Could use that or sham wow, or a small pak towel, Toilet paper and wipes?, Headlamp and skip flashlight unless it is a small lightweight photon light or mini flashlight, Skip the lantern-use headlamp for reading, batteries last pretty long on low, like 200 hours, Shovel?, Lightweight plastic trowel maybe, Leatherman is good if it's a small one like the Squirt or micra, I carry a folding knife as well, Only need one bic lighter, Rope-either paracord or 2mm cord like reflective tent line cord-50 feet for bear bag is usually enough, Bug spray-Deet is real effective, The rest looks ok. It's really about what you are willing to carry on your back for hours a day over 2178 miles if you plan to Thru-Hike the A.T. My first pack weight was 55 pounds without food and water which was HEAVY!!, I dwindled it down to around 35 pounds and I'm trying to bring it down more.

Oh, Welcome to Whiteblaze:welcome

Bags4266
07-26-2010, 17:11
Real quick look. Like the Tyvek ground cloth, many won't. Reason you can use it under your Neo when sheltering.
Socks smartwool, darn tough are some good ones
Get rid of: compass, bear vault, either spork or spoon unless your a double fisted eater. x the filter go to drops, no need for compression shorts if you have body glide. Just a headlamp is fine no need for a lantern. Small knife only. X the shampoo and cond Dr B does it all.

Luddite
07-26-2010, 17:12
Bear Vault: BV500 - Just hang your food on the cables at the shelters
long-handled spoon - Use your spork
coffee press cup - Unless you really LOVE coffee
Water filter: Katadyn Hiker Pro Water Filter - Personally I always bring this filter with me because I hate using chemicals but it seems like most people are using aqua mira these days. You can save a lot of weight and you wouldn't have to worry about maintaining your filter.
shampoo & conditioner - You could just wait til you get to town
rain pants - Not really going to do you much good unless you were leaving Springer in the middle of winter.
wide-tooth comb & brush - Just wear your bandana :)
towel - Bandana
lantern - Use your headlamp
cat hole shovel - Use you trekking poles or your heal
waterproof matches - If your lighted failed you could borrow somebody elses
whistle - You won't ever use it but if it makes you feel safer then bring it.
Sunscreen - Its very shady on the AT

Nean
07-26-2010, 17:54
You may want to correct your blog lone hiker.:eek:

Sounds like you have the right attitude though.;) Good suggestions here.:-? ENJOY!:banana

mountain squid
07-26-2010, 17:57
Very thorough list. Some observations:

check the sternum strap on bp - the buckle might be a whistle - if not, take the whistle
yes, bring long underwear - the top might be able to double as your long sleeve shirt
layering socks is up to you - just make sure you always have one dry pr
maps/guidebook
something extra to hold water
needle for draining blisters
Swiss Army knife with tweezers and scissors - leave tweezers and nail clippers at home
definitely sunscreen - no shade in Apr
consider bouncing chargers

Concur:
yes, camp shoes
spoon or spork
scrutinize your toiletries - most of that smell/look nice stuff is not necessary
leave bear vault
50 ft of cord instead of bear vault - most shelters DO NOT have cables
Dr B's can double as shampoo - and you don't need much of it
only one lightsource

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs027.gif

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Sunshine Tami Jo
07-26-2010, 18:10
My niece will join me for up to one month, in all probability no more. I, however, hope to continue on, so for the majority of my hike I will be solo. But thanks for being so observant.

Spokes
07-26-2010, 18:17
Don't over analyze it. This is really the only list you need (here) (http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4). Adjust for Summer and you're all set.

Good luck.

Nean
07-26-2010, 18:31
My niece will join me for up to one month, in all probability no more. I, however, hope to continue on, so for the majority of my hike I will be solo. But thanks for being so observant.

My guess is you will meet some great folks to hike with, but I know what you mean.;)

Just messin w/ ya.:p

Spokes
07-27-2010, 17:27

You'll pick up a trail family in no time. It's sorta like traveling with the circus. You'll have a blast.

DapperD
07-27-2010, 18:34
Don't over analyze it. This is really the only list you need (here) (http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4). Adjust for Summer and you're all set.

Good luck.Great list for a light packweight. Unfortunately, seems to me just a little "too" light for my tastes in winter. Doesn't even suggest bringing long pants. I think for the coldest months one needs also to not underestimate the possibility of extreme weather unfolding, so one doesn't get in a situation where they have too little clothes and wind up dangerousely unprepared:-?.

Sierra Echo
07-27-2010, 18:58
I know this sounds nitpicky, but how many bands do you need to braid your hair? I just use the same ones while I'm on the trail. Take em out, brush your hair and put em back in!

Appalachian Tater
07-27-2010, 19:28
How about a heavy-duty or contractor garbage bag or trash compactor bag as a pack liner? You might be able to get one from a janitor so you don't have to buy a box. A pack cover isn't good enough when it rains all day for days and you really need to keep your stuff dry. I also use waterproof stuff sacks for my clothes, sleeping bag, food--O.R. Hydrolite--but you could use turkey roasting bags or whatever. You definitely want a dry sleeping bag and dry clothes and food though.

Don't even think about the bear vault for the A.T., just use a waterproof food bag and some cord to throw if you need to. Learn this:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/bear_bag_hanging_technique.html

I wouldn't have cotton anything, even for sleeping, you may need to wear all your clothes in a cold, wet emergency. Stick with wool, silk, or artificial fibers.

Don't need spork and spoon.

Don't need multiple lighters, matches, and a fire steel. Two is enough, maybe even two of the mini Bics. Usually there are other people around if your lighter doesn't work so the back up is really for emergencies.

Probably sounds silly to say that you don't need a spoon and a pack of matches, what do they weigh? Less than an ounce together? Believe me, the ounces add up into pounds quickly. Be absolutely ruthless in taking only what you absolutely must have or you will end up leaving it in a hiker box or mailing it home. When you get to Neels Gap they will have anything you need you don't have. As long as you are safe from hypothermia and starving you will be fine the first few days.

Yes, you may need sunscreen the first few weeks. You can get pretty badly sunburnt until the trees fill in and your skin picks up some color if you aren't already tan.

You have too many clothes but let others analyze that. (You do want three pairs of socks though, wool, one for night time, one to wear, and one drying from being washed.) You will only be clean in town after you shower and do laundry. As soon as you hit the trail you will be dirty again so just don't worry about it. Deodorant is futile. Seriously. I started my thru with some thinking that if nothing else it would be good to keep my feet from stinking quite so much. Nope. Dumped that pretty quickly.

Also, listen to what people are telling you here, if it is contradictory then explore it further, but 80% of what thru-hikers carry is the same, just different brands.

skinewmexico
07-27-2010, 22:52
Why a double rainbow instead of a rainbow, or something lighter? And that's an awfully big pack, IMO. In fact, what does all that weigh?

Sunshine Tami Jo
07-28-2010, 00:16
Why a double rainbow instead of a rainbow, or something lighter? And that's an awfully big pack, IMO. In fact, what does all that weigh?
I got a double rainbow because my niece will join me for a brief portion of the hike, and the tent is extremely light weight. That tent is the least of my worries. Would that everything could be so lightweight!

With all the stuff I have listed my pack weighs about 35 pounds. which I don't think is too bad. If I get rid of the bear vault, as has been suggested, I'll shave off 3 additional pounds, but of course I'll add back whatever a Ursak weighs. This weight is before food and water.

Trailbender
07-28-2010, 08:39
I got a double rainbow because my niece will join me for a brief portion of the hike, and the tent is extremely light weight. That tent is the least of my worries. Would that everything could be so lightweight!

With all the stuff I have listed my pack weighs about 35 pounds. which I don't think is too bad. If I get rid of the bear vault, as has been suggested, I'll shave off 3 additional pounds, but of course I'll add back whatever a Ursak weighs. This weight is before food and water.

Way too heavy. My pack is generally around 25 lbs, with 2L water and about 4 days food. I still have trouble with it seeming too heavy on some of the steeper mountains in NH and ME.

Many Walks
07-29-2010, 00:04
Lots of good advice has been offered. I'd add your choice of pack might be something to reconsider. The Osprey Xenon 85 will most likely prove to be too big and will add unnecessary weight. While it's a nice pack, it's geared more for a long term expedition. Don't look at a thru as being out for 5-6 months, but more of a series of 5-7 day hikes between towns. The Xenon 85 volume / weight is (medium) 5100 cu in / 6lbs. 5 oz. You can cut the volume and the pack weight. For example, the Osprey Exos 58 comes in at 3500 cu in / 2 lb. 8 oz. at less cost and plenty of room. There are many other options in packs for lighter weight. Best thing is to get your gear narrowed down to the absolute basics needed and take your gear to an outfitter to see what works best to handle the load at the lightest weight and best fit.
Also, I'd dump the water badder and go with plastic bottles. They are lighter and so much nicer for refilling instead of digging the bladder out of the pocket. That gets old after a while. If you do go with the bladder, you can lay it on top of the pack under the lid to hold it in place. Much easier to get at. Plus bottles are easier to clean or replace. If you mix flavors in your water you'll most likely get crud buildup in the bladder and hose you'll need to deal with.

Probably the best advice is to just take what you want and enjoy your hike!

Spokes
07-29-2010, 09:57
Great list for a light packweight. Unfortunately, seems to me just a little "too" light for my tastes in winter. Doesn't even suggest bringing long pants. I think for the coldest months one needs also to not underestimate the possibility of extreme weather unfolding, so one doesn't get in a situation where they have too little clothes and wind up dangerousely unprepared:-?.

Dangerously unprepared? Well, not really. The OP said she was preparing for an AT thru beginning in April. The list is more than adequate with two thicknesses of base layer and rain pants/jacket for an extra outer layer.

Plus, the list is provided by one of the most experienced equipment fellows on the entire trail- Winton Porter. I'd say 1000's (+) of people who've used his system to complete the trail is testament enough that it's adequate.

Winton is no ultralight purist either. The article says-

"By the Mountain Crossings method, the ideal load is 30 to 35 pounds, including food and water, for early spring conditions, or 25 to 30 pounds for summer, all stuffed into a 3,800-cubic-inch pack".

And here's what's quoted about the whole long pants thing:

"You want to ask yourself, What does each piece of clothing do for me? Does it insulate? Does it stop wind? Does it stop rain?" he says. "Nylon zip-off pants don't do any of those three. If you wear a pair of nylon running shorts over lightweight long underwear, now you have pants that weigh 3.5 ounces instead of two to four times as much."

Bags4266
07-29-2010, 10:13
You'll pick up a trail family in no time. It's sorta like traveling with the circus.

Spokes! That line is too funny and so true. "traveling w/a circus" LOL

DapperD
07-29-2010, 10:17
Dangerously unprepared? Well, not really. The OP said she was preparing for an AT thru beginning in April. The list is more than adequate with two thicknesses of base layer and rain pants/jacket for an extra outer layer.

Plus, the list is provided by one of the most experienced equipment fellows on the entire trail- Winton Porter. I'd say 1000's (+) of people who've used his system to complete the trail is testament enough that it's adequate.

Winton is no ultralight purist either. The article says-

"By the Mountain Crossings method, the ideal load is 30 to 35 pounds, including food and water, for early spring conditions, or 25 to 30 pounds for summer, all stuffed into a 3,800-cubic-inch pack".

And here's what's quoted about the whole long pants thing:

"You want to ask yourself, What does each piece of clothing do for me? Does it insulate? Does it stop wind? Does it stop rain?" he says. "Nylon zip-off pants don't do any of those three. If you wear a pair of nylon running shorts over lightweight long underwear, now you have pants that weigh 3.5 ounces instead of two to four times as much." I knew after I posted I would get some flak for it.:DI know Winton is not the only one who suggests this. I read Cindy Ross's and Todd Gladfelter's book "12,000 Miles of Trail Tested Wisdom" in which she says basically the same thing. Just bring the long underwear and wear it under your rain gear. That's all you need. Basically I can see how this would work, and is a smart way to keep your overall weight down to achieve success. I see the original poster said she would be starting in April. Basically I posted to question this because the link you gave, I think it was a Backpacker Magazine article states that it is Winton's "Cold Weather" approach. Well if they mean after April cold weather approach, then I am sure it may be OK. If they mean late January, then maybe not so much.:-?

Spokes
07-29-2010, 11:47
I knew after I posted I would get some flak for it.....

No flak intended....

Actually, medical issues are the biggest threat to long distance hikers not weather related ones according to a March 2003 (http://www.amjmed.com/article/S0002-9343%2802%2901494-8/abstract) article appearing in The Journal of American Medicine.

Diarrhea was the most common illness limiting long-distance hikers.

So what's the biggest weather related fatality? Heat according to statistics (http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/hazstats.shtml) compiled by the National Weather Service.

Cold weather fatalities rank last.....

Sunshine Tami Jo
07-29-2010, 12:09
Actually I DO list long pants...convertible pants, so I'll have the option of wearing them long or as shorts. Layered with a pair of thermals, I'll bet I'll be alright. But I welcome all advice, and I give careful consideration to everything everyone says. I am especially concerned about my weight at this point. I thought 35 pounds was pretty good, but now I'm not so sure. I honestly can't see where to cull, other than the bear vault.

Bags4266
07-29-2010, 13:25
I could knock over 6 lbs off on two pieces.

1) Bear vault 2lb 9 oz-----Bear bag setup 6-9 oz 2lbs saved
2) Pack weighs 6lbs 5 oz Ouch! Womens Golite Pinnacle under 2lbs 4lb 7oz saved
Total saved 6lbs 7oz

Spokes
07-29-2010, 18:43
........... I am especially concerned about my weight at this point. I thought 35 pounds was pretty good, but now I'm not so sure. I honestly can't see where to cull, other than the bear vault.

tamijo, you'll be fine. Definitely plan on letting the folks at Mountain Crossings do a pack shakedown when you pass through there about 3 days after you start. It's free and no pressure. You'll surely pick up some tidbits and most likely send some extra stuff home (like that bear vault!).

Cheers,

Spokes

Appalachian Tater
07-29-2010, 19:19
I am especially concerned about my weight at this point. I thought 35 pounds was pretty good, but now I'm not so sure. I honestly can't see where to cull, other than the bear vault.

35 pounds is good--if it includes food, fuel and water.

Figure 6-8oz for fuel, 2 liters of water at 4.4 pounds, and just one pound of food a day for five days and you're at 45 pounds, which is pretty heavy. Now, you could carry less water much of the time but a pound of food a day is probably not enough.

Appalachian Tater
07-29-2010, 19:21
Hmm, I think at this point the best thing you could do is a shakedown hike in an area with some real elevation change. That's all it would take for you to figure out how to know ten pounds out of your pack.

Appalachian Tater
07-29-2010, 19:22
know = knock: knock ten pounds out of your pack.

kayak karl
07-29-2010, 19:51

c Backpack with camelback (2-1Liter bottles)insert: Osprey Xenon 85 Women's Backpack
c pack rain cover:
c

SHELTER AND SLEEPING:
c Tent: Tarptent Double Rainbow plus pole extender tips, tyvek groundsheet, and stuffsak

FOOD AND HYDRATION:
c Bear Vault: BV500 (Stuff sack)
c Stove: Jetboil personal cooking system(Alky system)
c Fuel:
c spork(useless)
c long-handled spoon
ccoffee press cup NO
c Water filter: Katadyn Hiker Pro Water Filter
c

CLOTHING:
c _2_ pairs underwear (what kind???)Silk
c Macabi skirt (Pants or skirt)
c long-sleeve shirt
c _2_ pair socks (What kind??? Should I layer two pairs?)
c rain pants
c rain jacket (Packa ??)
c hat
c gloves
c should I bring thermal underclothes?NO it's April. i don't carry them in January
c shoes: probably trailrunners, but what about camp shoes? water crossings? (search, but even flip-flops work)

c Diva cup or tampons (need to check out the possibility of straight-though BCP to dodge the issue altogether)
c disposable razor (yeah, I know...should skip the shaving altogether but I hate the way my legs feel when they get hairy)
c shampoo
c conditioner NO
c Body Glide
c hand sanitizer
c deodorant NO . LOL You have no idea yet
c wide-tooth comb
c brush one or the other
c toothpaste
c toothbrush
c dental floss
c toilet paper
c tweezers
c nail clippers
c Dr. Bronners soap
c towel: somewhere I read about a towel that can be found in the austomotive section at Wal-mart: small and lightweight but very absorbent

TOOLS:
c headlamp Yes
c lantern to journal by NO
c cat hole shovel NO Stick
c knife or leatherman tool one or the other
c Duct tape (have a couple of yards on my trekking poles) NO keep it off your poles. one yard in pack is enough. will be available at hostels
c Bic lighters
c Toby’s Swedish fire steel )probably don’t need this but Toby wants to give me something for the trail) ?????????
c rope,,,what kind and how much? Bear line

HEALTH AND SAFETY:
c first-aid kit plus moleskin Strip down the kit, (search first aid kits)
c whistle (show tune would be good0
c bug spray: what kind? I am a major bug magnet!!!! My friends are always astounded
csunscreen (PERSONAL CHOICE)

MISCELLANEOUS:
c playing cards NO play tic tac toe with rocks
c ear plugs
c MP3 player and charger
c cell phone and charger
c2 bandanas (two colors to keep seperate if you need to)
c ID
c Credit Cards
c cash
c Ziploc bags

DapperD
07-29-2010, 23:29
Actually I DO list long pants...convertible pants, so I'll have the option of wearing them long or as shorts. Layered with a pair of thermals, I'll bet I'll be alright. But I welcome all advice, and I give careful consideration to everything everyone says. I am especially concerned about my weight at this point. I thought 35 pounds was pretty good, but now I'm not so sure. I honestly can't see where to cull, other than the bear vault.Basically what you need to do is sit down and go over each and every item you plan to take. Make sure it is not on the heavy side pertaining to that particular item/ gear. If you can find multiple uses for something, that is even better. I believe that for many people, they will probably wind up in around the 30-40 pound range for everything if they choose carefully what they intend to take with them. Remember this is just an opinion. I planned to hike and have put it off. I did buy all my gear and have a pack weight around 35 pounds minus food and water. I do have a heavier pack and planned to take a solo lightweight tent. You basically need to understand that if you can afford to buy quality lightweight gear, then this is what can help alot reducing packweight. I know people will argue that is not the case. That you can buy cheap gear or make your own gear. Well this is of course an option also. Just try to take only the items that are essential. As far as clothing, take what you feel you will need to be safe and comfortable in cold weather. You can hike with less clothing items, but for myself, and only speaking for myself, I would take enough clothing to be assured I would not be lacking for it to keep myself comfortable in cold, nasty weather. I would rather leave my extra unwanted clothing for someone else to have than to get out there and freeze.

Erin
07-30-2010, 01:23
Ditto Mountain Squid. You are heavy. Everyone is on the first long one. I certainly was. You will figure out what to send home.
Have a wonderful time!!!!

KnittingMelissa
08-01-2010, 17:19
I know this sounds nitpicky, but how many bands do you need to braid your hair? I just use the same ones while I'm on the trail. Take em out, brush your hair and put em back in!

Bands break, and it's very annoying when they do. I always carry a few extra when I'm out hiking, usually on my hammock carabiner, just in case. It's a pain to suddenly have long, loose hair because of a snapped band.

The best way to figure out what you do and don't need is to go backpacking out where you live. Go back country and camp for a few days, walking ten miles a day or so. You'll quickly figure out what is needed and what is simply heavy that way.

BrianLe
08-03-2010, 13:02
I have to agree with those that suggest you shoot for more like 25 pounds --- this includes food and water --- rather than 35 pounds. The difference in how much you like the trip and/or how many miles you're comfortable doing is large. Once on the trail you'll want to mostly forget about gear tweak crap, but for now ...

Agreed on the bear can and I wouldn't bring an Ursack either, unless it's the 2.7 oz (not bear proof) Ursack Minor, which I used this year and can thus recommend to make it easier in shelters to avoid rodent issues. If you start with the herd in April, maybe you'll be in shelters less than I was this year however.

Unless money is tight and you already own it I would save the 7 oz and go with the single Rainbow rather than the double --- or perhaps an even lighter tent. Let your niece figure out her own solo shelter; perhaps bring a pretty light tarp for her and just try to stay in shelters when she's along (you might be stopping early anyway when she's along which should make it easier to get a space in the shelters).

Also agreed on no rain pants. And a substantially lighter pack, assuming you get the volume and weight of the contents down. This stuff is do-able, and not necessarily through spending a ton of money. I walked with one fellow recently who liked to carry a lot of stuff, his pack weight was well over double mine; we walked roughly the same pace because he's 25 and I'm 53. IMO he's somewhat of an anomaly these days.

I guess the other thing to do is to allocate a bit of time at Neel's Gap and definitely ask those guys to go through your stuff and make suggestions to save weight. I strongly suggest that you follow any advice they give that you can "stand" to follow --- they can make your trip a lot nicer! But getting more in the right ballpark ahead of time is much better (and likely cheaper).

Note that one reason that people carry heavier weights is a perception of safety --- more clothing, for example, makes them feel safer (and/or more comfortable). But if you fall (and I fell more often on the AT this year than on any other trip) that heavier pack weight will slam you harder into the ground. And a heavier pack weight makes it easier to overbalance and fall when you otherwise might not have.

Spokes
08-04-2010, 11:02
Note that one reason that people carry heavier weights is a perception of safety --- more clothing, for example, makes them feel safer (and/or more comfortable)...

Yep, I saw a whole lot of "perception" on the trail last year!

DapperD
08-04-2010, 16:55
Yep, I saw a whole lot of "perception" on the trail last year!I bet some inep"tion" too.;)

One Half
08-07-2010, 19:41
where's your pot to cook in?

kayak karl
08-07-2010, 20:05
where's your pot to cook in?
its a cooking SYSTEM. its in the weight.

One Half
08-07-2010, 20:08
its a cooking SYSTEM. its in the weight.

Cool. Thanks.

Freedom Walker
08-08-2010, 17:29
I am learning to bring my pack weight down and the best way I have found to do so is go on short trips and when I return check my list and if I didn't need or use an item, depending on what it is it may get left next time. Of course items such as first aid and raingear will always go. By replacing some heavy bulkly items such as 7 lb pack, 5lb sleeping bag, 5 lb sleeping pad, etc, etc, I have reduced from 50lbs total wt for a 3 day 2 night to 35 lbs.
Looking over my list, I can see getting to under 30 lbs is within reach, but I need to raise some more cash to do so.

TheChop
08-09-2010, 00:27
The first thing I saw on your list that made me absolutely cringe was the idea of taking a Bear Vault on a five month long hike.

And as you can see I have absolutely no reason whatsoever to be biased against a Bear Vault. Happened between Slaughter and Blood Mountain right before Neel's Gap while I was hiking the DRT in April. And I STILL would never carry it on a thru hike.

Sunshine Tami Jo
08-09-2010, 09:39
I had a bear vault on my list because initially I thought I'd hike along the John Muir Trail, which I still hope to do some day, and they are required there. But the JMT is more remote, with fewer hikers, and food resupplies are more difficult, so for a first long-distance hike I feel it might be safer for a first-timer to hike the AT. So I will lose the bear vault, but I wonder what to use instead. I don't want to deal with rodents.

JohnF
08-09-2010, 11:20
Yes, weight is an important consideration, but the security of your food, low impact and multi-functionality of a bear canister may be worth the tradeoff.

You will find that bear cables, when they exist, are frequently broken and are no guarantee of security when they aren't. You can hang your food effectively on a tree branch, but many don't due to lack of knowledge or lack of interest (which includes lack of time).

I'm only a lowly section hiker, but I used my Bearikade for the first time (also originally acquired for the JMT) on my Dicks-to-the-Dam section this past May. Most everyone who saw it dismissed it as unnecessary, but the folks who had lost their food to a bear near Blood Mountain seemed very interested. So did the young woman heading to Harper's who took over 30 minutes one evening to find a branch and get her bear bag rigged. I was able to lock the lid, dump the canister in the woods and not be concerned about bears or rodents.

For me, it worked. I'll use it again.

TheChop
08-10-2010, 17:19
I'm only a lowly section hiker, but I used my Bearikade for the first time

The Bearikade is also lighter and has more volume than the Bear Vault. My problems with the BV are that it's relatively heavy, is always a huge problem packing everything up that first day because it's fairly small inside.

Hooch
08-10-2010, 17:27
You can drop a few pounds by losing that big, heavy pack. It's probably way too large for your needs. You're probably going to need a pack that's not much larger than 60 or 65L instead of the 85 that you have now. If you have a pack that's too big, the natural tendency is to try to put more stuff in it to fill it up. Hence, a heavier than needed pack. Try going with something a bit smaller and lighter.

You can drop a couple more pounds by losing the bear canister. As others have mentioned, it's completely unnecessary. Go with a sil dry bag and some cord to hang it with if there ae no bear cables where you're staying the night.

Best o' luck in '11! :D

Spokes
08-11-2010, 10:15

You can drop a couple more pounds by losing the bear canister. As others have mentioned, it's completely unnecessary. Go with a sil dry bag and some cord to hang it with if there are no bear cables where you're staying the night.

I agree with Hooch.

50 ft of small diameter cord (2mm) and a sil-nylon food bag will work when you hang. Mouse baffles are plentiful in shelters along the way if you crash there. Don't forget to get an extra 10-12 feet of cord to use for a clothes line for drying out wet stuff.

Add a couple Black Diamond plastic 'biners or plastic Nite Ize S-Biners and you'll save a few ounces too!

dcmidnight
08-11-2010, 10:42
The Bearikade is also lighter and has more volume than the Bear Vault. My problems with the BV are that it's relatively heavy, is always a huge problem packing everything up that first day because it's fairly small inside.
IMO these two come out a wash but also because the two models of each dont really match up for an even comparison.The Bearikade "Weekender" sort of falls in between the two BVs size wise (650ci vs 440/700). So when you say the BV is too small inside compared to the Bearikade which one are you talking about? I would agree if you are talking about the BV450. Weight wise I would not say it is tremendously lighter 31 oz vs 33/41 oz.

Where the Bearikade fails me at least is the $225/$275 cost for their two models vs $65/75 for the BVs. It is also not see through which I have come to really like. Each one seems to have pluses and minuses but I personally went with the BV for these two reasons.

I'll add that the reason I use one every time out is that 99% of my hiking/camping in is SNP where I see bears almost every time out.

BrianLe
08-11-2010, 11:46
For those cases where a bear can really is warranted, I agree with dcmidnight. I hiked in the Sierras for a while with a fellow who had rented a Bearikade, and he liked it a lot and I was moderately jealous, but it is indeed expensive.

I have one each of the other most common cans, the clear plastic BV, and the black plastic Garcia. So long as you keep the threads clean (it's frustrating to have the lid screwed on with grit in it so that it's almost impossible to open ...), the BV wins over the Garcia in every way IMO, not only is it easier to pack more efficiently due to the clear plastic, it has a nicer opening to put things in and take things out of. And rain won't get it (always stand your Garcia lid-side down ...).

There are always other options; apart from a couple of other "me to" plastic bear can brands, there's what amounts to a sort of portable electric fence (I think REI sells these ?). Some folks for a while were selling a bear bag that used a capacitor and a battery to prevent bears from wanting to mess with it, though their website is gone now, so presumeably that didn't pan out (might have been more about regulations than logic, however, who knows ...).

What doesn't work in practice all that well, IMO, is bear bagging --- when there are actual bear threats around. I've seen a lot of bear bags hung, using various methods, and the vast majority were done badly enough as to not be a serious deterrent. Doing an easy, low hang makes sense along the AT if you're not in a shelter, just to keep food from rodents.

There arn't that many places with bears on the AT, however, and most of those have cables or poles or lockers, so my suggestion is to sleep near bear-prevention infrastructure like that when in those limited zones and just worry about rodents otherwise.

flemdawg1
08-11-2010, 17:15
Used a bear can for the first time a couple of weeks back in Yosemite, afterwards I can say that would never again carry such a heavy thing unless required to. I've learned to sucessfully hang my food by the PCT method and on a weekend hike in Shenadoah where I saw 9 bears, I never had a problem with my food.

mad4scrapping
08-11-2010, 17:33
I recommend "Barely there" underwear by Hanes. They are made of microfiber and wick nicely. You can get them at target, etc. and they are not too expensive.

rev_sunshine
08-12-2010, 03:56
Hi, everyone! I am a lone female hiker who will be hitting the trail in April 2011. I am trying to make a comprhensive (except for food and water) gear checklist and I'd love your input. I know the list is long but I am trying to think of positively everything. Will you please help me cull items I don't need and add items I may have overlooked? I have never done any sort of extended hike and I am trying to ensure my success. Obviously I want to be comfortale on and off the trail, and I know I will have to make some compromises, but I'm not sure where I should alter this list. I would be ever so grateful for any and all assistance.

c Backpack with camelback insert: Osprey Xenon 85 Women's Backpack can you get a lighter pack? This pack is extremely heavy. You're looking at a difference of at least 3 to 4 pounds with a lighter pack.
c pack rain cover:
c

SHELTER AND SLEEPING:
c Tent: Tarptent Double Rainbow plus pole extender tips, tyvek groundsheet, and stuffsak can you go with the regular Rainbow? I know your niece is coming, but you're only gaining 6" of width which doesn't really seem like that much for the amount of weight you're going to be carrying for months.

FOOD AND HYDRATION:
c Bear Vault: BV500 as everyone's said...ditch this. It's going to feel like you're carrying a mule on your back after the first day.
c Stove: Jetboil personal cooking system go with an alcohol stove, and a small cup/pot. This system weighs about a pound, and when you add in fuel canisters, you're looking at substantial weight.
c Fuel:
c spork ditch this. you don't need a spork and a spoon
c long-handled spoon
c coffee press cup
c Water filter: Katadyn Hiker Pro Water Filter...just use the mira tabs
c

CLOTHING:
c Macabi skirt
c long-sleeve shirt
c ___ pair socks (What kind??? Should I layer two pairs?)
c rain pants
c rain jacket
c hat
c gloves
c should I bring thermal underclothes?
c shoes: probably trailrunners, but what about camp shoes? water crossings? Crocs

c Decomposing Field wipes (available at Wal-Mart) you don't need this and toilet paper. And they don't *really* decompose unless conditions are right (water/air/soil ratios), so are you prepared to carry them out?
c disposable razor (yeah, I know...should skip the shaving altogether but I hate the way my legs feel when they get hairy) I know this is a personal issue, but hair on your legs is going to be the least of your concerns when it comes to something making you uncomfortable.
c shampoo...this is just wasted weight
c conditioner...as is this
c Body Glide
c hand sanitizer
c deodorant...deodorant isn't going to do anything on the trail. You're just going to stink. Period. Carrying this around is only going to attract animals, bugs, rodents, etc. And while it seems weightless right now, you'll definitely notice that weight on the trail.
c wide-tooth comb
c brush...ditch this. You don't need a brush and a comb, and a comb is handier, weighs less, and takes up less space.
c toothpaste
c toothbrush
c dental floss
c toilet paper
c tweezers
c nail clippers
c Dr. Bronners soap

TOOLS:
c headlamp or flashlight
c lantern to journal by...just use your headlamp...that's what it's for, and they're pretty powerful.
c cat hole shovel
c knife or leatherman tool
c Bic lighters...you only need one
c Toby’s Swedish fire steel )probably don’t need this but Toby wants to give me something for the trail)...I'd pick one out of the matches, lighters, and fire steel department. You are definitely going to feel every single ounce of everything you're carrying. While it doesn't seem all that heavy in your kitchen or living room, it ways twice that much on the trail
c rope,,,what kind and how much?

HEALTH AND SAFETY:
c first-aid kit plus moleskin
c whistle
c sunscreen

MISCELLANEOUS:
c playing cards...you'll probably never use these
c camera with charger, spare batteries, spare memory cards...you could drop a lot of weight by using disposable cameras and sending them home. They're easy to pick up along the way, and if you drop one, or your pack lands in a river, it won't be as bad.
c ear plugs
c MP3 player and charger
c cell phone and charger...can you consolidate a phone and an MP3 player? I know a lot of phones have music on them, and since they both need to be charged, why not just carry one?
c 2 bandanas
c ID
c Credit Cards
c cash
c Ziploc bags

If you're already at 35 pounds, and you haven't added food yet, you're going to be hating life really quickly carrying around 40 to 45 pounds. I've done it in the past, and there's just no way I'll do it again. I know everyone's different, but there's so many places you can shave off weight. Ounces here and there really add up.

It's Nice To See Another Austinite!

steve84
08-18-2010, 11:20
Hi if I may lead off with what Tamijo inquired, is there a specific site for food prep , maybe AMC, like a thru hikers guide list,

specificaly im looking to do the 100 mile wilderness, and I want to know what I need, the list posted is very helpful, so maybe a food list etc

also any specific sites devoted to 100 mile wilderness? like the shuttle deal, and reservations in Baxter???

and direction would greatly be appreciated

Steve

GlazeDog
08-19-2010, 01:50
Tamijo--
The Xenon backpack is way to big and heavy. The problem with the size is...if people have the space, no matter how disciplined people think they are, they tend to fill the space. Even if you are disciplined, then the space is half empty--therefore what is the point of having this HUGE pack.

I'm 6'6" 215lbs--a bigger guy who carries a bigger sleeping bag, bigger clothes, etc. that in theory take up more space, but I only carry a 50 Liter pack to go out for 5-6 days (My pack is the Osprey Atmos 50) with a total base pack weight around 22lbs.

Also, just ACTUALLY hiking a few overnights up MOUNTAINS will quickly tell you if you are carrying too much weight. Go on a 1 night trip but carry 4 days of food to test yourself. Learning from books and reading posts can't tell you what YOUR BODY can handle--everyone has different fitness levels. Get out in some mountains and find out where you stand. An AT thru hike is a major expedition--take a couple shakedown trips first. You will learn so much.

Good Luck and Happy Trails!!

dcmidnight
08-19-2010, 08:15
Go on a 1 night trip but carry 4 days of food to test yourself. Learning from books and reading posts can't tell you what YOUR BODY can handle--everyone has different fitness levels. Get out in some mountains and find out where you stand. An AT thru hike is a major expedition--take a couple shakedown trips first. You will learn so much.

Good Luck and Happy Trails!!
Excellent points here. I've done this once already this year and am going again next week for another one. Dont let anyone on here tell you what you should carry. Take suggestions, narrow your list and then hike a couple of shakedown hikes to find out what you like and what you can carry.

Its amazing how efficiently you can learn to pack when you limit the amount of space you have. I have an Osprey Kestrel 48 and can really get a lot of gear in there - even with a tent and bear vault.

IronGutsTommy
08-22-2010, 14:35
thanks for all the good suggestions, fellas

Trailbender
08-23-2010, 11:11
Most of my gear I have modified myself. I fix gear and do all my own repairs, as well as make some of my stuff. My

gear list and explanations are below. My base pack weight(everything but food and water) was around 14 lbs. I kept

experimenting with gear until I found what works for me.

Shelter and sleep system

Appy Trails Mark 3 tarptent-cut down and resewn to a 1 man tent. I got rid of the support pole and tied it off to a

tree with 550 cord. I resewed tent grommets with paracord also. Total weight with stakes is around 17 ounces.

Thermarest blue 4 season ground pad long-24 oz. I cut this down to fit me, weight is around a pound.

Lightweight tarp for ground cloth, cut in half, estimated weight 4 oz.

I started with a 0 degree down bag which I converted to a quilt(3 lbs). I switched to a tarp survival blanket and

sleeping bag insert(21 oz). This was fine until I hit low 50's. The survival blanket would have kept me alive, but

it was too cold to sleep in. I picked up a synthetic 15 degree bag in Rangely, Maine. It is 3lbs, but I slept well

and am keeping it. Synthetic is bulkier and heavier, but retains 70-80 percent of warmth when soaked. I keep my bag

dry, but in the woods, stuff happens and you never know.

Clothing system

Cotton sucks for clothing, and thermally it is worse than being naked if it is wet.

Long sleeve synthetic wicking T-shirt and cargo pants(weight unknown, but these are pretty light and they dry fast)

2 pairs wool socks(kept my feet warm even when they were wet, which was often)

3 pair women's underwear(weight 0.5 oz, men's underwear were 2.3 oz, they had the same wicking ability, and were

surprisingly comfortable. I got some at wal-mart for $3 a pair, they lasted 800 miles. I would wear a pair to hike

in, change at night after drying off with baby powder, and keep another pair for when I was doing laundry.)

Thermasilk shirt(2 oz)

polypro tops and bottoms(I got these towards the end of the hike, seemed to work well)

nylon rain jacket and rain pants(I got rained on all day while hiking because this stuff is too hot to wear hiking.

It is mainly for cold rainy days. I also use it as a thermal layer in camp when it is a bit colder. Weight is

probably about a pound for the pants and jacket together.)

Merrell hiking shoes( I used 2 pairs of these, the sole peels off, this is easily repaired with 550 cord. I also

relaced the laces with paracord.)

Gregory 2400 cubic inch pack, heavily modified, with extra pouches sewn on.

Army PT shorts and a tshirt(camp clothing to change into so I don't have to wear the sweaty hiking stuff. On colder

days my raingear was my campwear.)

Teva flip flops(wore these after done hiking for the day, they are lightweight and let my feet air out.)

35L nylon dry sack(used as a packliner, kept all my gear dry in really bad rainstorms. Weight 2 oz)

Toiletries(not all are toiletries, but this is what is in my ziploc)

Baby powder, 1.5 oz travel size. This is mandatory after walking all day in rain. I powder my feet and croch before

changing into my camp clothing.

Travel size toothpaste and cut down toothbrush(I also carried Campsuds to wash clothing, and I brushed my teeth

with it for a long time. I would refill the small tue with a big one by holding them tightly together and squeezing

the big one.)

Rolled up TP(also used moss and wet leaves)

Spare set of AAA batteries for headlamp(I was forced to nighthike several times due to circumstances, and spare

batteries were an important safety issue)

Aleve

Bleach in 1 oz dropper bottle( 2 drops per quart, shake, wait 30 mins. I got free bleach at hostels, and it was

just as effective as the expensive stuff, and much lighter than a filter.)

Zinc oxide diaper rash ointment(Stronger than sunscreen and I don't sweat it off. Also used for chafing issues.

Carried a 4 oz tube, wal mart brand, $1.59)

Cook system

1L titanium cookpot(I cooked in this, and used it for getting water out of shallow streams. Weight 3 oz.)

wal mart 25 cent teaspoon( I ate with this and used it the whole thru)

esbit tab stove(I broke the folding wind tab off a full size esbit stove and used that instead, it was lighter,

protected on 3 sides, and the pot sat a half inch over the flame, so I only had to use half a tab to boil water)

pot grabber(cut off piece of an old Thermarest pad)

Bic lighter(wrapped with 50 yards dental floss and 3 needles. Dental floss is strong thread, and after you tie it

off, burn the excess and it won't unravel)

Cook system total weight- 12oz, 24+ burns with 12 esbit tabs

misc carried gear

Military issue magnesium firestarter(I used this for 3 weeks, building fires twice a day. I also wanted to see how

it handled being sweated on and exposed to the elements for 5 months. The magnesium is slightly pitted, and the

strike rod has worn down some, still fully functional.)

backup LED keyring light(Inova, 6 bucks at wal mart)

headlamp(Petzl Tikka 2, 3 AAA batteries, never failed me)

wallet(cards and money with a ponytail holder around the cards instead of a wallet)

Gerber STL 2.0 pocketknife(1.1 oz, I carried this on a long 550 cord lanyard with a cut down diamond rod for

sharpening. I sharpened people's knives constantly in shelters and at hostels. I didn't meet another hiker who

carried a way to sharpen their knives. With all the practice, I can put a razor edge on one now. I also trimmed my

fingernails and toenails with this knife. Also, the magnesium firestarter dulled the edge.)

novel(libraries sold these cheap, and it helped sometimes when I got bored.

AT data book(this was light, and sometimes I regretted the lack of information. The thru hiker's companion is much

better.)

Shooting glasses, clear. I wore these on night hikes to keep from getting slapped in the eye with low branches.

20 ft paracord(self explanatory)

Water system

1 oz bleach(mentioned previously)

2 2.4L Platypus water bags(around 1.5 oz each, these things are tough, I dropped them on rocks and fell backwards

onto my pack with a full one and it didn't bust. I carried these for camp water.)

2L Gatorade bottle(used the entire thru hike, I had a piece of t-shirt on it to filter out floaties)

I made 550 cord lanyards on all my water bottles so I could carry all of them in one hand, and use my hiking pole.

(some of the terrain down to the water was challenging). I also had a fastex buckle on my gatorade bottle so if it

fell out of my pack pouch I wouldn't lose my water.

Food

Food varied, usually I had a big restaurant meal in town, or went to a store and got meat, apples, and bread. I

liked to leave town with about 6 apples and half a loaf of bread. This was heavy, but I ate it quick.

8 cheddar broccoli rice sides with 8 2.5 oz tuna pouches.

4 lbs off brand fig newtons or cheap cookies.

pop tarts

candy bars(snickers or milky way, the fig newtons were cheaper though, so I hardly got candy bars)

ramen noodles

oreo cookies or nutter butter

graham crackers

bag of cereal

peanut butter or nutella

I carried a first aid kit off and on, but it was mostly for small stuff. You cannot carry a kit for anything big

without it being too heavy.

Lyle
08-23-2010, 11:57
Since you started out saying your list is long, my first critical thinking will be how you should shorten you list. Most folks over-pack when first starting out. If I notice anything blatant missing, I'll mention it. Most items can be picked up within the first few days if you do miss something that you "must have". My comments will be embedded in your list.

c Backpack with camelback insert: Osprey Xenon 85 Women's Backpack
c pack rain cover:
c

SHELTER AND SLEEPING:
c Sleeping Bag: Halo +25 20* bag may be more comfortable early on
c Thermal sleeping bag liner only needed during the coldest nights, silk liner would be MUCH lighter. Extra clothes can be worn at night on the occasional real cold snaps

FOOD AND HYDRATION:
c Bear Vault: BV500 not needed
c Stove: Jetboil personal cooking system alcohol and small pot MUCH lighter
c Fuel: with cannisters you have to carry extra when near the end of a cannister, then carry the empty when it's done. With alcohol, you just top off when needed, you are always certain how much fuel you have/need to get
c spork
c long-handled spoon use your spork - no duplicates for the same function
c coffee press cup
c Water filter: Katadyn Hiker Pro Water Filter AquaMira/Potable Aqua MUCH lighter and more compact - cheaper too if you haven't already bought the filter
c

CLOTHING:
c 2 sports bras (one to wear, one to pack) One to wear, none to pack
c 1 pair lightweight compression shorts in case I experience chafing Buy them along the way if needed, no sense carrying it if not a problem
c Macabi skirt
c 2 short-sleeve shirts (one to wear, one to pack) One to wear, none to pack
c long-sleeve shirt wear this while washing the short-sleeve you normally wear
c ___ pair socks (What kind??? Should I layer two pairs?) Two pair should be sufficient. Moreno wool. I (and most others) find liner socks not necessary with trail runners again, add them if the need develops
c rain pants
c rain jacket
c hat knit hat for warmth early on, plus a brimmed hat to keep rain off your face (glasses)
c gloves
c should I bring thermal underclothes? Moreno wool for insulation (PolyPro will also work), Silk for added warmth when in sleeping bag, plus it keeps the bag cleaner. Keep the silk pair only for sleeping, and they will always be reasonably dry and comfy.
c shoes: probably trailrunners, but what about camp shoes? water crossings? Crocks (Dollar General knock-offs are CHEAP, hold up well, and I find them more comfortable than the originals)

c Diva cup or tampons (need to check out the possibility of straight-though BCP to dodge the issue altogether) deferring comment to the ladies
c disposable razor (yeah, I know...should skip the shaving altogether but I hate the way my legs feel when they get hairy) Get used to it, everyone else will
c shampoo Bronners or CampSuds - all purpose
c conditioner ditch it
c Body Glide buy along the way IF you need it
c hand sanitizer yep, keep with TP Tiny bottle goes a long way
c deodorant ditch it, you'll get used to the smell, everyone else smells as bad or worse
c wide-tooth comb ditch this or the brush, better yet, cut your hair short, MUCH easier to maintain a semblance of cleanliness/neatness
c brush see above
c hair bands for braiding my hair see above
c toothpaste if you must tiny, sample size, use sparingly
c toothbrush
c dental floss
c toilet paper
c tweezers questionalble
c nail clippers get knife with scissors, much more versatile
c Dr. Bronners soap see shampoo comment above - only need a small container
c towel: somewhere I read about a towel that can be found in the austomotive section at Wal-mart: small and lightweight but very absorbent If you carry a pack towel, cut it down. Bandannas work quite well are lighter and more versatile

TOOLS:
c headlamp or flashlight unless you plan on frequent night hiking, small is the key
c lantern to journal by that's what the headlamp is for
c cat hole shovel stick, tent stake, boot heel - dual purpose always!!!
c knife or leatherman tool Micro leatherman that includes scissors - see comment above
c Bic lighters
c Toby’s Swedish fire steel )probably don’t need this but Toby wants to give me something for the trail) Is Toby going to carry it for 2100 miles?
c rope,,,what kind and how much? Masons cord available at most hardware type stores. Light and strong enough for most uses. For bear bagging, this can be used, but need to take care not to damage trees as it's very small cord. If not mason's cord, nylon or other synthetic parachute cord, about 1/8" diameter is more than adequate. 50ft.

HEALTH AND SAFETY:
c first-aid kit plus moleskin Keep it small, with only a couple of days worth of anything. You will soon be in town where things can be supplemented as needed. I like to include Ibuprofen, something for cold, diarrhea, antacid, moleskin, few bandaids and few pieces of gause. Most first aid items can be improvised. First aid course (preferably Wilderness First Aid) is your best bet and doesn't weigh a thing or take up any space.
c whistle
c bug spray: what kind? I am a major bug magnet!!!! My friends are always astounded Most of the time bugs aren't a problem. When they are, pick some up along the way. No sense carrying bug spray from Georgia to New Jersey or Maine. They sell spray in every state and community along the way.
c sunscreen
c water treatment tablets (backup in case filter fails) Just use these when needed, boiling over a fire is your back-up. See comment about filter above.

MISCELLANEOUS:
c playing cards
c ear plugs
c MP3 player and charger
c cell phone and charger
c 2 bandanas
c ID
c Credit Cards
c cash
c Ziploc bags

Put your chargers in a bounce box.

takethisbread
08-25-2010, 10:37
Gear lists are a fluid topic IMO. I'm constantly adjusting, refining my pack, losing items (ask Ez hiker ), but I think I'm pretty lightweight.

My general rule, is when I have gone a week without using an item, it means I don't need it (except rain jacket)

Trailbender
08-25-2010, 11:38
Gear lists are a fluid topic IMO. I'm constantly adjusting, refining my pack, losing items (ask Ez hiker ), but I think I'm pretty lightweight.

My general rule, is when I have gone a week without using an item, it means I don't need it (except rain jacket)

Tell Ez Hiker and Trail Trash Hollywood says hi, I haven't seen them since 501 shelter. I summitted on the 12th of August.