PDA

View Full Version : packing order

Kernel
07-26-2010, 17:48
I searched and could not find anything on this subject, but being a new hiker and trying to avoid much trial-error, I was wondering what would be the best packing order ? What should I pack at the bottom, or at the top of my backpack in order to avoid hassle in diverse situations (mealtime, rain, etc) ? I was thinking sleeping bag first, food, cookwear and shelter on top.

Thank you very much,

Nean
07-26-2010, 17:59
I searched and could not find anything on this subject, but being a new hiker and trying to avoid much trial-error, I was wondering what would be the best packing order ? What should I pack at the bottom, or at the top of my backpack in order to avoid hassle in diverse situations (mealtime, rain, etc) ? I was thinking sleeping bag first, food, cookwear and shelter on top.

Thank you very much,

For guys you start light and go to heavy, food on top. Gals have a lower center of gravity and are in general more comfortable with some lighter stuff on top.:)

STICK
07-26-2010, 18:15
I would say it depends on the type of pack you are carrying. With an internal, I have always heard to put the heaviest weight closer in and to the middle / top of your back and pack the lighter stuff around the outside of that area. Here is a link to a Kelty site with instructions to pack your pack. (It's a PDF so just scroll to page 11.)

http://www.kelty.com/pdf/2009/09Tents/09RedcloudCoyoteINST.pdf

Think of it this way too when packing. Put the stuff that will be the last thing you will need at the bottom, such as your sleeping bag and sleeping clothes (if carried). Food at the top, and if your shelter is small enough keep it outside your pack or in a small pocket if you can.

Best bet, practice at home. Load it up different ways and see what feels good to you, and figure out what you will need at different times of your day while hiking.

Nean
07-26-2010, 18:23
So you wouldn't want the heavy gear on the outside of your pack, pulling you backwards?:confused:

Just kidding....:D

Mountain Wildman
07-26-2010, 18:25
In my pack, I started with my sleeping bag at the bottom and realized it makes more sense for me to pack my sleeping and extra clothes on the bottom, Then my sleeping bag, then my air mattress and pillow(using my Down jacket as pillow), then my tent, then my kitchen gear, then food bag and finally my Packa on top, Camelbak has a dedicated sleeve inside the pack against the harness system. I always set up my tent, mattress and sleeping bag as soon as I reach camp, My extra clothes and sleeping wear is the last thing I go for And I keep my kitchen and food at the top of the pack for easy access for lunch and dinner. My pack commands the gear regardless of where I put it but this method seems perfect for me so far.

Franco
07-26-2010, 19:43
The Kelty way is pretty much the standard way. Within that sort of guideline, I pack for convenience.
So for example using light and compact shelters, my tent goes across the top or in the front pocket so that I can set it up before I open the pack .
Useful to me in heavy wind or rain also I don't shove a wet and dirty shelter inside the pack.
My rain gear is either in the chest pockets (Aarn pack) or at the top of the pack. Same for my gloves/beanie/warm layer.
The sleeping bag and "camp/night" clothing goes at the bottom so that it is compressed into whatever space there is by the heavier layers (like food)
I use inflatable pads , so they fit inside. If I had a solid foam type it would have to go on the outside.
Not a good option here where trails can be narrow or non existing.
Franco

Jack Tarlin
07-26-2010, 19:53
Most packs have one main compartment.

As a general rule, as others have said, the stuff that can be buried down low is the stuff you won't need til the end of the day, i.e. sleeping bag, pad (if it's small and compactable), extra clothes, most of your food, cooking stuff (assuming you won't cook til dinnertime).

Stuff you'll want easily reachable will include things like bad weather gear, pack cover, snacks, first aid kit, etc.

Assuming your pack has a top section, side pockets, or little pockets on the belt or straps, this is a good place for such things as cameras, snacks, headlam and extra batteries, etc.

If you know you won't be needing it for a day or more, I'd bury your wallet deep as well, instead of having it somewhere like the very top of your pack where it can fall out or be easily seen.

Also, keep your maps, journal, and other reading material handy as you may well want access to them at some popint during the day

If you have to have stuff hanging or attached outside your pack, try and keep this to a minimum and try and limit it to stuff you can do without, like sandals, etc. It's sort of a Murhy's Law of the Trail that anything lashed or hung from your pack will sooner or later free itself and fall off, and it's a real drag when this is your tent pole bag, etc. If something is tied to your pack or jammed in a side poscket, always check to make sure it's secure.

Raul Perez
07-26-2010, 19:54
Here's how I packed my ULA Circuit for a 5 1/2 day section hike:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNsKBqCHKeo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lboiYsnAFaQ

My base weight (no food or water or fuel) was a bit over 16lbs. I did some research and evaluations after that trip and got some ideas from a bunch of folks. After some other gear arrives my base weight will be 11.1lbs for my next trip. Will probably do a video on the gear I switched out and some gear I've abondoned all together after I get everything in and officially weigh it.

Hope this helps,

Raul

Kernel
07-26-2010, 20:38
Thank you all for the very good advice ! It all makes sense now.

Kernel