PDA

View Full Version : Help with Gear Inventory

Sunshine Tami Jo
07-26-2010, 17:59
Hi, Ladies!

I posted this question to the general thru-hikers forum, too, but I thought that you ladies might give me your input regarding my gear inventory. Currently all of this stuff weights about 35 pounds, and if I can reduce that I'd sure like to, as I still have to carry food and water. I've never done an extended hike before, and I want to maintain a certain level of comfort and hygiene while still being as comfortable as possible on the trail. I would be extremely grateful to anyone who might look over my list and tell me if I've forgotten something crucial or of there is anything on here that I can eliminate.

Thanks for your help! Here's my list:

Appalachian Train Gear List:

c Backpack with camelback insert: Osprey Xenon 85 Women's Backpack
c Trekking poles: Black Diamond Trail Ergo Cork Trekking Poles
c pack rain cover:

SHELTER AND SLEEPING:
c Tent: Tarptent Double Rainbow plus pole extender tips, tyvek groundsheet, and stuffsak
c Sleeping Bag: Halo +25
c Thermal sleeping bag liner
c Sleeping pad: Thermarest Neo Air Mattress

FOOD AND HYDRATION:
c Bear Vault: BV500
c Stove: Jetboil personal cooking system
c Fuel:
c spork
c long-handled spoon
c coffee press cup
c Water filter: Katadyn Hiker Pro Water Filter

CLOTHING:
c ____ pairs underwear (what kind???)
c 2 sports bras (one to wear, one to pack)
c 1 pair lightweight compression shorts in case I experience chafing
c 1 pair convertible pants
c Macabi skirt
c 2 short-sleeve shirts (one to wear, one to pack)
c MontBell Ultralight Thermawrap Insulated Parka
c Smartwool socks: 2-3 pair
c rain pants
c rain jacket
c hat
c gloves
c Patagonia Capilene 3 leggings (or similar thermal garment)
c Patagonia Capilene 3 long-sleeve shirt (or similar thermal garment)
c shoes: probably trailrunners, but what about camp shoes? water crossings?

TOILETRIES AND MISC. PERSONAL ITEMS:
c Decomposing Field wipes (available at Wal-Mart)
c Diva cup or tampons (need to check out the possibility of straight-though BCP to dodge the issue altogether)
c disposable razor (yeah, I know...should skip the shaving altogether but I hate the way my legs feel when they get hairy)
c shampoo
c conditioner
c Body Glide
c hand sanitizer
c deodorant
c wide-tooth comb
c brush
c hair bands for braiding my hair
c toothpaste
c toothbrush
c dental floss
c toilet paper
c tweezers
c nail clippers
c Dr. Bronners soap
c towel: get an artificial chamois from Wal-Mart’s automotive section

TOOLS:
c headlamp or flashlight
c lantern to journal by
c lightweight plastic cat hole trowel
c compass (attached to pack, weighs virtually nothing)
c knife or leatherman tool
c Duct tape (have a couple of yards on my trekking poles)
c Bic lighters
c waterproof matches as backup
c Toby’s Swedish fire steel (probably don’t need this but Toby wants to give me something for the trail)
c about 50’ of reflective paracord (rope)

HEALTH AND SAFETY:
c first-aid kit plus moleskin
c whistle
c bug spray: DEET
c sunscreen: I've been advised that this is probably unnecessary
c water treatment tablets (backup in case filter fails)

MISCELLANEOUS:
c playing cards
c journal with fine-tip writing implement
c camera with charger, spare batteries, spare memory cards
c ear plugs
c MP3 player and charger
c cell phone and charger
c 2 bandanas
c ID
c Credit Cards
c cash
c Ziploc bags

Blissful
07-26-2010, 19:16
If you are on the AT you don't need a bear vault.
Spork serves as a spoon
On AT Aqua Mira if fine for water treatment
I use ex officio underwear, some like patagonia
One sports bra
convertible pants act as shorts, don't need compression shorts (esp if you are taking body glide).
skip shampoo, etc and do hair in town (only three to four days which is not bad)
skip deodorant (everyone smell odiferous out there) :)
get a small pocket knife that has tweezers in it, and scissors act as nail clippers just fine
I don't take a brush or a comb, jkeep hair short and you don't need them
headlamp only - can journal with that :)
skip trowel
tell Toby to get you something else, don't need fire starter. Need to cut weight :)
duct tape is good instead of moleskin, but that's your choice
skip sunscreen
Neoair can get cold, not sure when you are starting. I got a thin insulated pad to use underneath.

Country Roads
07-26-2010, 20:39
If you are starting early, take some sunscreen. No leaves, mean bad sunburn. You probably won't need it after the trees leaf out until maybe the White Mountains.

A double rainbow is pretty big for one person, but if that is what you have then it is still lighter than most one person tents.
Not sure about Neoair. I like mine but durability might be an issue and you might get cold unless you use a thin pad with it.
Use chemical stuff for water or use an inline filter as a gravity flow, much lighter than a pump filter.
Use a tent stake instead of a trowel, it will probably work better anyway.
Take body glide or sportslick for chaffing, using lycra shorts under your regular stuff will just create more heat.

I got this next tip from backpacking light mag: take a kids squirt gun with you for personal cleansing. Hey don't laugh, it works well and you need less TP.

Remember everything weighs something. You could mail a few things you are not sure about ahead a few days; if you didn't miss it, mail it ahead a few more days; then if you still don't miss it; send it home.
Don't be afraid to use the US Postal service as your personal sherpa.

You will most likely end your hike with very different stuff than you started with. Don't carry something you are not using nearly everyday, except maybe your first aid kit. Have fun!!

TinaLouise
07-27-2010, 19:40
SHELTER AND SLEEPING:

cSleeping pad: Thermarest Neo Air Mattress
this pad may not give enough insulation in cold weather

FOOD AND HYDRATION:
cBear Vault: BV500 Not needed on the AT
cStove: Jetboil personal cooking system Look into another stove system that's lighter, have you checked out Alcohol stoves like the Caldera Stove sold by Antigravitygear
cspork Either this OR the long handle spoon, NOT both
clong-handled spoon
cWater filter: Katadyn Hiker Pro Water Filter Drops are lighter

CLOTHING:
c____ pairs underwear (what kind???)3, wear 1, 2 in your backpack
c2 sports bras (one to wear, one to pack) one seems to be plenty
c1 pair lightweight compression shorts in case I experience chafing either these OR the convertible pants, you don't need both
c1 pair convertible pants
crain pants how are you gonna wear rain pants over that skirt?? Have you thought about a rain wrap skirt??
cshoes: probably trailrunners, but what about camp shoes? water crossings? If you don't have your main hiking shoes decided on, try taking long walks in whatever kind of shoes you're thinking of using. Camp shoes are nice to be able to get out of your main hiking shoes, I carry either crocs or flip-flops

TOILETRIES AND MISC. PERSONAL ITEMS:

cshampooditch this!!!
cconditioner ditch this too!!!
cdeodorant I've heard that bears really like folks that use this stuff!!
cbrush use your comb

ctowel: get an artificial chamois from Wal-Mart’s automotive section not needed, you're carrying 2 bandanas already

TOOLS:
clantern to journal by use your headlamp
clightweight plastic cat hole trowel use a tent stake

HEALTH AND SAFETY:

MISCELLANEOUS:
you've got a whole lot of different chargers, can you see if you can find some adaptors so you only have to carry one charger??

Can you also do a practice hike to test how you like carrying all your gear and if all your gear is gonna work out for you? Do you have some kind of container to put water in (like when you have to climb down to the creek and back up to your campsite). What kind of meals are you planning with that jetboil??

One Half
08-06-2010, 19:43
where's your pot or whatever to cook in?

wystiria
08-11-2010, 13:55
In addition to the above,

if you can combine your phone and your Mp3 player....personally I would drop the Mp3 player all together

I like Patagonia Undies.

I use my rain pants for "pants" and don't carry two pairs.

When it comes to bras, I bring 1 sports bra and 1 light weight shelf type bra. I wear the shelf in camp while I am rinsing out my heavier duty sports bra.

I have had no issue with the Neoair for durability, and am comfortable in down to 35 degrees in it, with a slightly warmer bag than you are carrying.

drop the brush, carry the comb

drop the nail clippers carry a light weight file

drop the coffee press, carry Starbucks Via ***more costly though!

no matter what shoes I hike in I like having camp shoes. I compromise and get "dogs" the CVS knock off of crocks....significantly lighter weight and only 9.99 :)

Drop the camelbak insert and get a lighter weight bladder -

infact if you wittle down this list you could probably get a smaller lighter pack

Have Fun!

Turtle Feet
08-11-2010, 14:42

Where could we find the lighterweight bladder???

tf

wystiria
08-11-2010, 15:45

Where could we find the lighterweight bladder???

tf

many of the other brands are onces lighter - MSR or Platypus for instance. check it out :)

The Solemates
08-11-2010, 15:57
my wife wore 1 pair and packed 1 pair of ex oficio anti-microbial underwear. They're like $30 a pop but worth it...at least she says.