PDA

View Full Version : Eurpean-JapaneseWasps?

rambunny
07-26-2010, 23:08
Anyone ever encountered these beasts? They are 2" or more-look like bee wasps- came outta no were today about noon-chewed a piece of me on my left hand - felt like a burning nail -now at 11:00 -after vinegar- bleach H2O-Salt ice water-Bud Light can-My left hand looks like a catcher's mit. Can't do Benedril ect.Kicking in the chronic Lyme. Any solutions?

DapperD
07-26-2010, 23:16
Anyone ever encountered these beasts? They are 2" or more-look like bee wasps- came outta no were today about noon-chewed a piece of me on my left hand - felt like a burning nail -now at 11:00 -after vinegar- bleach H2O-Salt ice water-Bud Light can-My left hand looks like a catcher's mit. Can't do Benedril ect.Kicking in the chronic Lyme. Any solutions?Wow, never heard of anything like that other than killer wasps. Maybe would have been wise to consider going to the hospital(maybe you still need to) in order to get checked out. A reaction like that can lead to something severe:-?

DapperD
07-26-2010, 23:26
Anyone ever encountered these beasts? They are 2" or more-look like bee wasps- came outta no were today about noon-chewed a piece of me on my left hand - felt like a burning nail -now at 11:00 -after vinegar- bleach H2O-Salt ice water-Bud Light can-My left hand looks like a catcher's mit. Can't do Benedril ect.Kicking in the chronic Lyme. Any solutions?This may be what they are:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_cicada_killer

Elder
07-26-2010, 23:37
The cicada killers are solitary, capturing, paralizing then burying with an egg.
Very similar, yellow, black stripes, about 2"".
More likely the Japanese Hornet. Nests in trees and can be aggressive, but usually only if the nest is threatened.
Individually, bad luck.
Very potent, I would call your Dr., or go get checked out.
Might well kick Lyme up.
Sorry, Good Luck.
Let us know how it goes..

Elder
07-26-2010, 23:38
Asian Giant Hornet at wickipedia.

HiKen2011
07-26-2010, 23:38
If it was an Asian wasp, (looks like a giant yellow jacket) they contain an enzyme in their venom that can disolve human flesh. We have quite a few here in GA.

DapperD
07-27-2010, 00:05
If it was an Asian wasp, (looks like a giant yellow jacket) they contain an enzyme in their venom that can disolve human flesh. We have quite a few here in GA.Something like these(yikes):eek::http://scienceray.com/biology/zoology/asian-giant-hornet-or-japanese-wasp-meet-the-real-killer-bee/

rambunny
07-27-2010, 12:06
thanks guys i lived thru the night-but still have a catchers mitt left hand. stay away from these bad boys!

Danielsen
07-28-2010, 17:48
Wait, Japanese Hornets are showing up in Georgia?

Are you sure they're not European Hornets (which have been common in the USA for a while now)?

If they are, that is just crazy.

Hmm. As a former insect collector with a softspot for wasps, I may just have to go after one. :o

Danielsen
07-28-2010, 18:02
Alright did some looking around, and the most definitive thing I found was a thread on a beekeeping forum (figure they know what they're talking about...).

Thread here: http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?topic=13412.15

Key quote: "It's really common for people in the southeastern US to refer to European Hornets as Japanese Hornets. Sure, it'd be great if everyone used the correct nomenclature for everything, but since we don't have any actual Japanese Hornets here to get confused with, and since everyone knows what you're talking about, it's really not that big of a deal."

Probably a good thing we don't have real japanese hornets in the US, or there might be some deaths. European hornets can pack a nasty punch, but it'll take a swarm to kill you.

Also note that European hornets can apparently have a number of color variations, including some with a lot less of the reddish markings.

HeartFire
07-28-2010, 19:08
I got stung on my forearm on Sat. I didn't really see the wasp, just that it was bigger and darker then yellow jackets. My arm ballooned up from elbow to wrist. It was red, hot and itched like hell (after the pain from the sting went away). it's been 5 days now, it's still red and painful at the site of the sting, but the swelling has finally gone down, and the arm doesn't itch much.