PDA

View Full Version : hitchin!!

PUNKINPUSS11
07-26-2010, 23:55
i heard it was simple to catch a ride from whitney to lone pine. Anyone everhitch from lone pine to mammoth, it will save a whole day....looking to hitch on the 2nd of August

Miner
07-27-2010, 00:26
People have done it. It can be easy or hard depending on your luck. If you are hiking the JMT out the Whitney Portal, its easier to talk to some of the other hikers towards the last few days of your hike and strongly hint of your need to travel north. I know of some who have gotten rides all the way back to Yosemite that way.

doodah man
07-27-2010, 13:14
PUNKINPUSS11,
I have never tried that hitch, but I would suspect it is not too hard. The hiway (395) that connects Lone Pine to Mammoth is heavily traveled daily by a lot of hikers going to, or coming from, one of the many east Sierra trailheads that would be inclined to help. Also, as mentioned, talk up the hikers your last couple of days and you could find someone heading that way. Finally, at the Whitney Portal parking lot, there will be a few dozen cars heading out at the end of nearly every day so hanging out there could also snag a ride north on 395. Doodah-man

i heard it was simple to catch a ride from whitney to lone pine. Anyone ever hitch from lone pine to mammoth, it will save a whole day....looking to hitch on the 2nd of August

sbhikes
08-05-2010, 14:38
There's a bus if you can't hitch a ride and the fare is pretty reasonable (around $15 I think -- less than driving.)

Kanook
06-29-2011, 00:55
In 2009 I hitched into Lone Pine.
It took about 15 minutes to get a ride.

I asked in the store it there was a bus and they told me there was no bus.

el31415
06-29-2011, 01:50
Portal to Lone Pine very easy !
Lone Pine to Mammoth you and your luck but shouldn't be that hard, just use your head when hitchin
How many time I have been driving and see hitch hiker standing at very "unconvenient" places.
When I hitchhike I always make sure that there is enough space for the car to stop ...and not on a speedy part of the road