PDA

View Full Version : "Resort" in Boiling Springs?

The Kisco Kid
07-27-2010, 11:40
Just got off the trail after three days from Duncannon to PA 183. I'm happy to report the water is running well, especially after the rain.

I keep hearing about a resort of sorts near Boiling Springs. I think it's new this year and has both lodging and a pool?

Anyone have information?

Thanks.

-The Kisco Kid

Luddite
07-27-2010, 11:47
MY guide book says Boiling Springs has a pool you can swim in for 9 bucks but It doesn't say anything about a resort in Boiling Springs or Duncannon.

dzierzak
07-27-2010, 11:55
Allenberry Resort Inn & Playhouse has a hiker deal. Thread search on "Allenberry" brings up posts with info.

ki0eh
07-27-2010, 12:52
Allenberry's website: http://www.allenberry.com/ but you probably won't find the hiker special on it!

billslade
07-27-2010, 13:40
We stayed there last year while on my Thru hike. I believe it was $25 per room for the hiker special. Nice place! Especially for that price!

LIhikers
07-27-2010, 21:35
My wife and I finished a section hike at Boiling Springs and stayed at the Allenberry resort for a couple of days. It was a great way to finish a hike. Hot tub, swimming pool and AYCE buffet for breakfast and dinner, if I remember correctly. The bed was large and comfortable and the room was very clean. It was nice being able to stroll to the playhouse after dinner and be entertained.

We finished a second section hike in Boiling Springs and used the municipal showers and pool to relax when we were done hiking. That was enjoyable too. That time we had a good meal at the Italian restaurant in town once we were done at the pool.

Dogwood
07-28-2010, 19:10
Try the ice cream at the corner cafe/ice cream shoppe! - Some creative flavors!

JERMM
07-28-2010, 19:41
I stayed at the Allenbury earlier this month, hiker rate is now $40. Nice place, pool, tennis, restaurant, bar, laundry and the playhouse.

ki0eh
07-28-2010, 20:23
Try the ice cream at the corner cafe/ice cream shoppe! - Some creative flavors!

CJ's Cafe is now shut down :(

gravityman
07-29-2010, 11:16
My wife and I were walking through Boiling Springs in 2005 trying to figure out what we were going to do for lodging in the middle of a thunderstorm with lightening flashing down around us. A very nice older lady pulled up and ask if we had just hiked through the storm. We replied in the affirmative to which she replied with a very stern voice, "That wasn't very smart, now was it? Get in! I own a hotel and I'll let you stay in a room." Turned out that 'hotel' was the Allenberry and it was an amazing stay! She also arranged for some food for us (leftover lobster ravioli) Very nice place, and the owner really is hiker friendly (although you probably won't see her!).

Glad to hear they have a hiker rate now!

Gravity

Hoop Time
07-30-2010, 08:27
Had not heard they hiked the rate, but $40 is still a damned good bargain for Allenberry. Pretty sure they also offer hikers a very attractive discount on their dinner theatre and AYCE buffet, which I hear is pretty good, and a far cry from the typical Chinese food buffets.

Allenberry is a popular resort, particularly for city folks who fly fish. They can fish the Yellow Breeches while the wife goes antiquing, then they see a show at night and all are happy.

BSPool
08-02-2010, 07:49
Just to update anyone...

Boiling Springs Pool (I run it) is $9.75 per day use (2010) - but there are coupons for $2 off at the ATHQ near the post office. We also allow showers (hot) for $2 and have a full service snackbar. Open daily from Memorial Day to Labor Day each year.

Allenberry is a nice resort - $40 for a night is a good rate (I did not confirm that) - since this place has restaurants, bars, a theater, pool and spa (last I knew).

JC's cafe did indeed close down - but a new 'Cafe 101' just opened up. Personally have not eaten there yet, since I have been busy at the pool, but I have heard really good things.

Bare Bear
08-06-2010, 12:23
I remember three hot dry days going into BS waiting fro my zero day poolside; then it rained for three days. I learned to not look forward to 'pool days' as it always rained then. Thanks for the local knowledge.