PDA

View Full Version : How many mail drops?

JimSproul
11-12-2004, 23:46
I thought it was time for a new thread.

I am working on a mail drop plan. I am trying to keep drop to about 10 or 12. Has anybody else worked out a number yet?

I have ordered the free priority mail boxes from USPS but only part of the order came in.

robo
11-15-2004, 20:05
how about 30 , i won't have to go more than 1&1/2 mi from the trail until i get to maine. i can't run out of money, i already spent it, if a package isn't there i'll hit the store otherwise just grab the box pick up a few things and get going. not a plan for everybody but it works for me , & it's how i section hiked

gravityman
11-16-2004, 11:04
When we did the trail in 2001 we did mail drops, but quickly got sick of the food inside, and tended to buy most of our stuff along the way. We'll be doing that exclusively on this trip.

There are a few places that we will need to bounce stuff ahead (Fontana Dam for one) because of bad resupply options, but we will just do that from the biggest town right before that resupply.

Saves a lot of work! And helps prevent you from planning too much. It's much better in my opinion to just go with the flow!

Check out Baltimore Jack's resupply advice under the Information menu above. Invaluable!

Gravity

Icicle
12-24-2004, 14:53
We aren't doing mail drops - a bit too complicated and expensive to plan from the UK. I am thinking of doing a bounce box though - just for a few things.

Bloodroot
12-26-2004, 10:10
I think I have all the mail drops that I need, I used Jack Tarlin’s recommendations for most and discussed the rest with friends.

Mail drops:

1. Neel’s Gap

2. Fontana Dam

3. Somewhere near Atkins (any recommendations?)

4. Port Clinton

5. Wind Gap

6. Unionville

7. Bear Mtn.

8. Glenciff

9. Monson

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Bloodroot
12-26-2004, 10:12
I think I have all the mail drops that I need, I used Jack Tarlin’s recommendations for most and discussed the rest with friends.

Mail drops:

1. Neel’s Gap

2. Fontana Dam

3. Somewhere near Atkins (any recommendations?)

4. Port Clinton

5. Wind Gap

6. Unionville

7. Bear Mtn.

8. Glenciff

9. Monson

Any other suggestions on this would be great.

Thanks