PDA

View Full Version : Camelbak 3 liter hydration bladder vs. 2, 1 liter bottles and fleece vs. pullover

theycallmej
07-27-2010, 16:10
Hey guys

I'm open to discussion on this because I'm thinking heavily of what gear I'll be using for my southbound trek. I'm down to deciding on a hydration system and it's proving difficult.

In one corner, what I have and could use is two, 1-liter bottles. The pros to these bottles is that they are cheap, durable, and easy to refill. The downsides are numerous-- the sloshing sound when I'm walking around is annoying, the weight is put on the outside of my pack (in two pockets) and that isn't recommended from what I've been hearing, and to store them in my pack means it isn't easy to just take a sip of water.

In the other corner, I could part with the money to buy a 3 L camelback bladder-- I am fond of this idea because my backpack is set up for it, the weight would be evenly distributed and on the right area of my back, and I wouldn't have to fill the water the entire way. Plus, they're not noisy like water bottles and my balance feels better.
Cons, Ive heard that these bladders can break in cold temperatures. I'm doing a southbound trek and I will encounter cold, so this is something to consider. Next, I am unsure if I'd just keep sipping away and forget about my water supply-- although I have some knee problems and I'm told that to keep drinking water and not getting dehydrated will help with pain quite a bit. On the other hand, I could carry too much weight and that would bother my knees all the same, if not worse.

I'm mixed on what to go with-- could someone impart some wisdom?

theycallmej
07-27-2010, 16:12
Ah shoot, I accidentally hit the post button and forgot that I wasn't done.

Second problem I'm faced with may be easier to deal with. I'm looking at insulation for winter. As far as what I have, I have a long-sleeved running jacket that keeps me warm in temperatures around 40*-- beyond that I also have a fleece pullover that I could put under my nylon jacket that would keep me warm to about 20*. I have been hearing that Patagonia has a jacket called the nanopuff pullover and that it is exceptionally warm-- and made of synthetic so I wouldn't have to worry as much about it getting a little damp from sweat. My main question is, would it be best to keep the fleece until I encounter cold temperatures and then switch to the nanopuff later in my trek when it gets colder?

Rick500
07-27-2010, 16:28
About hydration: I have a 3 liter Camelbak bladder and I think it's great--I love being able to take a sip here and there whenever I want without grabbing or opening a bottle--but I also always carry a full one liter bottle as well (and most of the time I only fill the Camelbak with 2 liters or less). That way when the Camelbak runs out, I always still have a liter of water.

I haven't hiked in sub-freezing weather, so I can't really comment on cold durability.

Franco
07-27-2010, 19:23
Hydration.
This is what I do.
If using a standard pack (like the ULA Circuit or an Osprey) :
I have (usually) 2 600ml bottles , one on each side of my pack . One with water , the other with something like Gatorade.
The rest of my water is inside a collapsible Nalgene Cantene inside my pack. (against my back just below the top)
Typically even in hot weather (90-100f) I drink less than 1 600ml per hour.
If I use the Aarn packs with the chest pockets, my water is in there.
Franco

mateozzz
07-27-2010, 19:26
On my last section hike I went with 2 1L bottles. My 3L Camelback weights almost 8 oz, the bottles together were less than 3, and that included a 700ml one with a pop top that I drank out of, using the 2 big ones just as reserve. Actually, I only carry 1L total, just fill the others when camping. Every ounce counts!

garlic08
07-27-2010, 20:29
I use one 1L bottle and a 2+L platypus that rarely gets used (total weight less than 3 oz). On the AT, I found so much water I seldom needed to carry more than one liter (I hiked in a wet year and I'm accustomed to dry country hiking). I used the platy twice, I think, and maybe a few more times for planned dry camps.

I got tired of a series of problems with bite valves, loosing water and time. Accidental water loss (setting the pack on the bite valve), pulling the valve off on bushes, cleaning debris out of the valve--now I just keep it as simple as I can--a recycled water bottle. If the bottle breaks or gets lost, you can find new ones free at every road crossing.

I hiked the summer months with a jacket similar to your running jacket (12 oz), and added a down vest for the winter months (12 oz). I don't carry fleece any more because it's so bulky and heavy for what it provides.

bigcranky
07-27-2010, 20:54
I gave up on bladders after one froze and leaked inside my pack. The only time I've ever had a wet sleeping bag = not fun. Also, on longer trips I had a hard time keeping the tube clean. I use a pair of 1-liter plastic water bottles (Aqua Fina) but Gatorade bottles work well, too.

At the beginning of a sobo hike, I expect a fleece pullover will be plenty -- it was enough for me in my limited experience in summer in Maine. By the time you get to the South in late fall, you'll likely need more than a Nanopuff pullover -- but you can make that decision when it starts getting cold, and buy something at an outfitter along the way. No big deal. (I'd get a medium weight down jacket, preferably with a hood -- something like the Montbell Alpine Light Parka or the UL Down Inner Parka.)

Cabin Fever
07-27-2010, 21:08
I used to swear by a Nalgene Silo (48oz). I would hike with it only. However, I often found that I wasn't getting enough fluids because I had to take my pack off and get my bottle. I was introduced to a tiny feature of Camelbaks that sold me on using them. You can buy a little quick release valve that you can plug into the end of your hose. Plug your bite valve into it. When you are ready to filter, just unplug the bite valve and pop in the filter valve and pump backwards into the hose. Super easy. I carry a Nalgene Cantene (plastic water bag) for camp.

I really like this set up. I get plenty of fluids since the bite valve is always right there and I don't have to take my pack off all the time.

theycallmej
07-28-2010, 02:23
I don't carry fleece any more because it's so bulky and heavy for what it provides.

I should have said that the fleece jacket is really just a thin microfleece pullover from first ascent. It weighs about 11 oz.

amac
07-28-2010, 05:14
1) I used to use a 3L Camelbak. Loved the convenience of sip-on-the-move. However, I grew to dislike the difficulty of refilling and not knowing how much water I had. I've switched to 3 1L water bottles (recycled soda bottles). The fit perfectly in my pack's side pockets and I can easily reach them on the move so I don't lose that convenience. They are easier to refill and monitor water levels.

2) Keep the fleece until you encounter cold temperatures and then switch to the your nanopuff. It provides greater flexibility and since you already have it, it's free.

10-K
07-28-2010, 05:29
1 carry 2 1 liter/quart bottles. Once I get a feel for the water situation I either keep one or both filled. Towards the end of the day I'll fill them both for camp chores and cooking.

Camelbaks are handy, and I used to carry one but gave it up when it froze solid once. In the summer it's just something else to carry. So now I don't use one at all.

daddytwosticks
07-28-2010, 07:24
Go for the plastic bottles...cheap and simple. Simple is good on the trail. I don't hike in my insulating layer. It stays in my pack until I stop for the evening or for prolonged breaks so sweating into it is a non-issue. Fleece is Ok if it's all you can afford and bombproof to boot. :)