PDA

View Full Version : SOBO IAT/AT Start date

Wyoming
11-13-2004, 10:16
There have been a number of threads concerning a SOBO of the AT and what start dates are the norm and why. I have never seen anything on what dates would be suitable to start south on the IAT with the intention of continuing thru on the AT as well.

I don't think that the IAT terrain in Canada in includes much in the way of high elevations (I gather this from reading a trail journal of an IAT hike so I may be wrong) so I am under the impression that high altitude winter weather would not be a large factor. I do not know what the bug and mud conditions might be at certain times. It strikes me that one could start in April with the intention of connecting up with the AT circa 1 June. This would allow one to hike in cooler conditions (thus avoiding bugs and perhaps the mud season some?) for a month or two. Is that possible? Or practical? Thanks, Wyo

PKH
11-13-2004, 16:14
You can expect deep snow 'n the mountainous regions of Quebec in early June. A typical (and sensible) start date for a SOBO hike of the IAT would be mid June to 1 July. Do not be misled by the lower elevations - many hills of 2500 to 3000 feet, often with alpine and tundra summits. This is Canada after all and winter really hangs in there. In addition, the difficulty of the Matane reserve must not be underestimated, particularly in wet weather. This is a steep, muddy, completely wild and generally very lonely section of trail. Expect to go days without seeing another hiker. I am not even sure if Gaspe park is open to hikers on 1 June, for safety reasons. This is the week to ten day section of the hike just before the reserve, going south.

I started my thru hike on 1 July of this year and finished up at Katahden on 12 August - 40 actual hiking days. Portions of the trail were extremely muddy.
As it turns out, July is the wettest time of the year in the Chic Chocs and Gaspe mountains. Once through Quebec however, there is a great deal of road and rail trail walking and a great chance for high mileage days.

August would be the best time to hike the wilder sections of Quebec IAT (SIA in French), but of course this is very late for someone looking to carry on down the AT. If you require more in of I'd be happy provide.

Good luck and cheers,

PKH

walkin' wally
11-13-2004, 19:17
Some of the photos on the IAT website gave me the impression that there were some rugged ups and downs along stretches in New brunswick or Quebec. Maybe it was just wide angle photograpy. Some of the places were unbelievably beautiful judging from the pics.

TakeABreak
11-13-2004, 19:25
Wyoming, not sure about any of this, I would would talk to the people at www.internationat.org (http://www.internationat.org) or nimblewill at www.nimblewillnomad.com (http://www.nimblewillnomad.com) he has done the entire trek from florida to gaspe bay.