PDA

View Full Version : Best Pack for bad neck

Glenn
07-27-2010, 19:56
I have a bad neck and have had surgery. I need a pack that puts less weight on neck and shoulders. My mid and lower back have no issues. Ideas?

Feral Bill
07-27-2010, 20:03
No decent pack puts much load on your shoulders or neck. As always, try them on in the store with a load.

Skidsteer
07-27-2010, 20:23
Stay away from this one.

http://www.texasbeyondhistory.net/st-plains/peoples/images/packman-sm.jpg

FamilyGuy
07-27-2010, 20:27
I am not sure what you would be willing to spend and / or what features you want, and although I have a stable of frameless UL packs, I also have a Mystery Ranch Pack and a Custom Mchale. The Mchale is amazing as I can fit it such that virtually no neck or shoulder pressure exists with a decent 30 lb load.

bigcranky
07-27-2010, 20:56
What pack are you using now?

Any pack with a frame that transfers weight to the hip belt will decrease the weight carried on the shoulders. Which style of frame and which pack will depend greatly on your total pack weight. (In this case lighter = better.)

Glenn
07-27-2010, 21:07

I've only been day hiking for the past 10 years because my neck. Before that, I had an old external frame pack. Nothing to brag about.

FamilyGuy
07-28-2010, 00:25

Any pack with a frame that transfers weight to the hip belt will decrease the weight carried on the shoulders. Which style of frame and which pack will depend greatly on your total pack weight. (In this case lighter = better.)

Yes but some much, much better than others.

Kind of like saying any stove will get hot.:D

Mountain Wildman
07-28-2010, 00:53
I am not sure what you would be willing to spend and / or what features you want, and although I have a stable of frameless UL packs, I also have a Mystery Ranch Pack and a Custom Mchale. The Mchale is amazing as I can fit it such that virtually no neck or shoulder pressure exists with a decent 30 lb load.

I also have Mystery Ranch, although you cannot try them on first, unless you are willing to travel to Bozeman, MT. When you order the pack you supply your waist size and yoke size, In my case I ordered the Large waistbelt which covers size 38" to 46" waist and the Medium Yoke which covers 5' 9" to 6' 4" in height. Prior to using the pack you make a few simple adjustments and it basically fits perfectly almost as if it was custom made, They even have a second position for adjusting the Load lifter straps angle.
Mchale is a top notch custom made to your exact specifications pack which will fit you like no other pack will, I plan to order one after my thru-hike when I will have lost weight and have a better idea of what I want in a long distance pack.
You cannot go wrong with either choice, but they are not cheap, My Trance XXX cost $350 plus shipping and my G7000 cost $550 plus shipping, But they claim it will last in excess of 17 years with serious usage.

bigcranky
07-28-2010, 08:29
Yes but some much, much better than others.

Kind of like saying any stove will get hot.:D

Right, which is why I said it depends on the total load. My ULA Ohm transfers most of the pack weight to my hips, and weighs only 24 ounces. But my total pack weight is less than 25 pounds. If I put 40 pounds in the Ohm, it would all be hanging off my shoulders.

If I put 40 pounds in my old Gregory Shasta, all the weight would be on my hips. But that pack weighs 6+ pounds empty. So, as in most cases, the final choice of pack depends on the load.

beartripper
07-28-2010, 09:10
The posts above are correct about there being a lot of good packs. I had surgery years ago on my neck and it takes awhile to get it right. Fit adustment to me is the
most important part to keeping myself from experiencing pain. Please pay special attention to your shoulder strap adjusters, load lifter straps and your sternum strap. The muscels in my shoulder and neck will give me problems and cause other pain if I pull the straps above to tight.

FamilyGuy
07-28-2010, 14:57
Right, which is why I said it depends on the total load. My ULA Ohm transfers most of the pack weight to my hips, and weighs only 24 ounces. But my total pack weight is less than 25 pounds. If I put 40 pounds in the Ohm, it would all be hanging off my shoulders.

If I put 40 pounds in my old Gregory Shasta, all the weight would be on my hips. But that pack weighs 6+ pounds empty. So, as in most cases, the final choice of pack depends on the load.

Completely agree - thanks for clarifying.

scooterdogma
08-14-2010, 06:38
Might want to look at the AARN pack. I've hiked with it a month at a time with loads around 30#'s. ALL the weight is on your hips. I have neck problems from a car accident and it did not bother me at all. Well made pack too!

Shadowmoss
08-16-2010, 00:42
Lots of info on the AARN packs over at HammockForums.net and the North American distributer (Dana) hangs (pun intended) out over there, too. Folks over there seem to like them a lot.